Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisbeth_Salander;n9819091 said:
YoungYea's new video says that Cyberpunk 2077 may not have character creation nor classes. I'm out. Call me when CDPR officially states otherwise.

I've seen some of that dude's videos and he seems genuinely like someone who does his homework before posting these kind of investigative videos...would be devastating if even some of what he says is true...2020...oh my.

Edo34;n9819121 said:
I've seen some of that dude's videos and he seems genuinely like someone who does his homework before posting these kind of investigative videos...would be devastating if even some of what he says is true...2020...oh my.

If Cyberpunk 2077 has no classes nor a custom main character, then I'm seriously considering not buying it.

It wouldn't be that bad to wait too long for Cyberpunk 2077. The problem to me is if we wait too long to not have what we wanted. CDPR said in the 2012 presentation that it would be possible to create our own characters and that there would be classes.

EDIT: hell even Mike Pondsmith said in an interview a few months ago that ALL classes will be in the game. Now CDPR scrapped it? Damn, I'm gonna focus on other games until we can know the truth, and that will probably be when this game comes out in 2021. See ya guys.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9819331 said:
He says it at 28:10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AynvqY4cN8M

This is devastating if true.

What CDPR needs to do now is to confirm that there will be Roles and that its all bullshit. This is what they promised:

Lisbeth_Salander;n9819151 said:
EDIT: hell even Mike Pondsmith said in an interview a few months ago that ALL classes will be in the game. Now CDPR scrapped it?

Maybe all classes will be in the game as NPCs, or in multiplayer, but the protagonist of the story is limited to one class or only a small number?

sv3672;n9819381 said:
Maybe all classes will be in the game as NPCs, or in multiplayer, but the protagonist of the story is limited to one class or only a small number?

If we can't play as any of the classes, then it makes no difference. It still sucks.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9819091 said:
YoungYea's new video says that Cyberpunk 2077 may not have character creation nor classes. I'm out. Call me when CDPR officially states otherwise.

You trust him over Pondsmith?

Garrison72;n9819461 said:
You trust him over Pondsmith?

YongYea insight is newer than Mike's interview. The amound of information that the video has is huge. YongYea says that this decision is influenced by CDPR's management problems, this is no shitty argument people...It might be true.

This turn of events worry me for the future of CDPR and CP2077. I hope CDPR resolves this matter and improves overtime in terms of leadership, etc. We'll have to see wat happens. I hope CDPR addresses this issue ASAP.

The first thing I thought when I first heard about CP2077 not having classes nor custom character was: "This is bullshit, how can CDPR chose to make something that will disappoint fans?"

But then after watching the video, I realised that CDPR may not have "chosen", they might have been forced to remove classes/ custom mc in order to make the scope more realistic. And it's a powerfull argument, specially considering that the management problems are true.

Last edited:
It would not be that surprising if the number of playable classes ended up being small or even only one, it is difficult to implement many classes that are both meaningfully different in terms of story/dialogues/quests, while at the same time also maintaining the level of quality that was achieved with the single pre-defined player character in The Witcher 3.

Not an easy situation for the developers, CP2077 has to meet different expectations created by the source material and CDPR's existing games.

sv3672;n9819541 said:
It would not be that surprising if the number of playable classes ended up being small or even only one,

Not surprising that the one of the main elements from CP2020 that are classes won't appear in the game? Sure, we all knew it from the start.

Why even trademark Cyberpunk? Just call it Witcher With Guns.

sv3672;n9819541 said:
It would not be that surprising if the number of playable classes ended up being small or even only one, it is difficult to implement many classes that are both meaningfully different in terms of story/dialogues/quests, while at the same time also maintaining the level of quality that was achieved with the single pre-defined player character in The Witcher 3.

Not an easy situation for the developers, CP2077 has to meet different expectations created by the source material and CDPR's existing games.

Yea but somehow they have the resources in developing a useless multiplayer for Cyberpunk that wastes even more time and money than making a voice actor do extra lines for each different class. You're giving CDPR excuse for their garbage leadership and management(allegedly). The rumors seem credible due to amount of people leaving CDPR and how half assed Witcher games all are in terms of gameplay design. One of the appalling signs of terrible management from the YongYea video was how they spent a year designing a vats like system for Witcher 3 combat only to completely scrap it. It wasn't that they scrap it most developers scrap lots of mechanics from their games when making them however it took them a whole fuckin year to decide this instead of 4 months or less.

Last edited:
I might have this whole thing all wrong, but it seems to me that someone representing CDPR just MIGHT need to do some "damage control" here. If they hype up a game, make all of these "pie in the sky" promises and fail to deliver, I can foresee two things happening: The game will BOMB!...On an EPIC level and you will have lots of disappointed, pissed off game fans/customers turn their backs on CDPR...Myself included. I know what I am about to say might sound a tad bit harsh, but it sounds like they need to seriously "get their sh*t together" or this game is going to seriously blow up in their collective faces. 'Nuff said!

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Red Engine needed a major overhaul to handle CP2077, what does surprise me is that it's apparently only just started (late 2016). I'd assumed that, prototyping, and writing, is what they've been doing since 2012 and with the release of Witcher 3 and it's expansions everyone would be shifted to CP2077; with a pretty much complete engine (some tweaking is always inevitable) and game mechanics only needing to be implemented as they'd all been prototyped.

We've sort of joked about a 2020 release here in the forums (personally I was expecting 2019) ... that may turn out to be an ambitious expectation.

Last edited:
I don’t know who this ”youngyea” guy is and I don’t care. I can’t give much trust on every random Youtube pseudo e-celeb claiming to be in the know of things.

That said, it’s not at all unheard of that a major developer these days might scrap a topic the mainstream audience might find overly complicated and confusing (like a load of ”character classes” that look like you need to be familiar with before you start the game). There was something weird in how Mike spoke about the roles and subtlety that made me think about them as a sort of workmans overalls you change during the game to suit your current ”job”. Put on a Rockerboy costume when it’s called for and get the special skill, put on a cop uniform, a merc outfit for a solo...

I truly and sincerely hope that’s not the case, but... yeah, I’m not going to jump on the wagon claiming it certainly won’t.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom