On Hype...

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still disagree. It's impossible to validate exactly where a product becomes "over-promoted". That's entirely subjective, based on a large number of variables that are all outside of CDPR's control. This is always up to the consumer base. There have been numerous games that didn't have any advertising campaign worth mentioning, and they went completely viral entirely on their own merits. Look at Farmville, Minecraft, or Valheim. We've also had studios that invested heavily in very aggressive advertising campaigns, and few players even looked in their direction. Consider Too Human, Haze, or Homefront.
While I agree on the impossibility of validating the exact borderline between promoting and over promoting, I think it's not quite as hard to categorize a game to be on either side of said line. You might agree there, as you were easily able to distinguish which of the 6 game titles belong to either side. You named 6 interesting examples, 3 of which based their (previously mentioned) "continuous hype" on the game itself. This is, as previously mentioned, entirely in the hands of the consumers, because the consumer can validate whether the product they purchased was worth the money. You also pointed out 3 game titles which built up their marketing into hype, all of which have quickly proved themselves to be magnificent flops.
This is exactly my point. A customer doesn't need to draw a straight line at a given value and isn't supposed to distinguish good games from bad ones based on that line. The border between those is not a straight line, this is why one isn't able to draw this way. Lines are straight. That "artificial line" is fluid, blurred, constantly changing with a handful of variables, all of which lay in the eye of the beholder. However the customer should be able to tell, on which side of the artificial line the game belongs, in his own mind and opinion. Without necessarily being able to name the exact distance between their purchase, and the non existing line of validation.
No studio is responsible for how much excitement their advertising generates. No studio is responsible for players' preferences or the way they choose to define subjective terminology, like "immersive", "next-gen", or "role-playing". Expectations are up to the individual. Trying to superimpose personal ideology onto someone else's words is guilty of the fallacies of both hasty generalization and false dilemma. There is no universal definition for terms like this, and the listener's interpretation does not automatically overrule the speaker's interpretation.
Technically speaking you're right. There is no law which explicitly states a studio is liable in such cases. There is no law book that supports my point of view, and the likelihood of finding a court judge that would part with me is probably in the negatives.
Practically speaking the studio feels it's responsibility in the financial aspects. An over-promoted product will leave blanks in the places where money was supposed to be. That being said, I'm not calling CP77 a financial disaster, they made their fair cut. I have no way of proving that, but i suppose the sale expectations for 2020 weren't met though. The latest investor call has shown the expectations for 2021 weren't.
While this, strictly speaking, isn't responsibility as we define it on a daily basis, it shows the effects of such strategies and their impact on the studio.

You're fighting gravity here. This isn't CDPR -- this is marketing in general. This is what marketing is. This is how advertising works. This is what all advertising is like, regardless of product, service, or consumer base. No company is going to intentionally undersell itself. All companies are going to try to make themselves out to be the best option. No product or service is "the best ever" -- that's subjective. I don't care how amazing a company's reputation is or how many people are singing their praises; I will be able to find you thousands of dissatisfied customers. I don't care how awful a company's reputation is, or how many people are thronging the internet to flame and bash them; I will find you thousands of people that are loyal and satisfied customers. (Biting into that for purposes of analyzing a product would be hype. That's what hype is.)

It is the consumer's responsibility to be educated about the industry and their purchases. It is the consumer's responsibility to be able to differentiate between fact and interpretation. It is the consumer's responsibility to make an educated purchase. It is the consumer's responsibility to identify their subjective reactions to the product as such -- not superimpose their subjectivity as if it were fact simply because others happen to agree with them. It is entirely possible for 100,000 angry people to be completely groundless in their arguments. We see it all the time, actually. (I call it "the internet".)

The issue here that will hold water is if a product is guilty of false advertising. And CP2077 was absolutely not false advertising. Hype is not false advertising -- it's irresponsible focus on the part of the consumer. The game is exactly what it was always advertised as being. For some people, it simply wasn't "enough of" or "as good as" they subjectively wanted it to be. That's on them, not the studio. No one was forced to buy the game. Everyone was offered a return policy. That return policy was even extended for last-gen consoles. (Which was totally warranted, and I'm not going to defend that part of the release. That was a mess, and I was very happy to see CDPR's reaction and Iwinski's message. That was a prime example of the studio's tenacity to do what was right on top of all they were dealing with at that point.).
An analogy, i like those.
I am, indeed, fighting the gravity. However as opposed to marketing terms, the gravity is pretty defined and if our understanding of physics is precise enough, i think this is worth considering. Im only able to fight the gravity, because the gravity is constantly fighting me. The masses do have their specific forces which we cannot affect. A battle which one can't win, one could say. But then again, if we analyse the circumstances, we should be able to pick up some variables which we could influence. In this case the the variables are the opposing masses, which fight each other. What are the masses then? On one side there is the marketing industry standard, a huge multi billion business, consisting of many people doing their best to come up with new, more efficient strategies, less vulnerable marketing terms, leaving little to no room for discussion, actively trying to maximize the benefits at lowest possible cost. The opposing side is a customer like me, who tends to disagree with that questionable ideology and carried practice.
Back to physics. The bigger mass will be able to manipulate the lesser one. The lesser mass will be following each of it's bigger brothers steps according to what the bigger one decides. If the big boy takes the wrong direction, the smaller one will suffer too. This is exactly why I'm fighting the gravity. But not the gravity itself, what I'm trying to achieve is balancing the masses, so that each side can affect the other one. The fight is only fair that way.
And by balancing the masses, i mean trying to convince others to see tings as I do, or at least consider it as a possibility.
The bigger of those masses will keep growing, the smaller has to catch up. But with the bigger ones constant growth, the lesser can only dwindle, unless somebody actively tries to fight against it. And that's what I'm doing.

You made some interesting points, and I will replay to the rest of your message later on, this took my entire lunch break.

I'd love to know where you eat/buy your burgers, because for me, they never seems to be the same as the pictures (even tasty and nice).
Me who thought that the small * and the related note in very (very) small at the bottom "this is an image of advertisement" were there to make pretty :(

But could be the same for cars, "only consumes 4Litres/100km" with a small * and the note :
Average consumption established on a closed road and out of traffic on a test vehicle...

Or for care products "95% efficiency" with the small * and the note :
The tests are carried out in the laboratory on 20 people...

Two antoher little French examples (because I don't know about other country)
Green ernegie (which normally respects the environment) sold in France which is effectively CO2-free, but which in reality is more than 70% produced by nuclear power...
Deodorants without aluminum salts (being supposedly harmful) are going to be much healthier, but made up of alum stone, which is actually aluminum...
Ah these advertisers, they would do anything to sell us something we don't need or even don't want :(

But hey, this is only my opinion and there CDPR was offering to refund, so those who weren't happy after trying it could go back. What more could you ask for honestly... :(
CDPR did not do refunds on pc (apart from the first week, during which the game's issues were not clear, and you still had to email their support, you could not go directly through steam without complying with steam's refund policy -- >2 hours means no refund, which is bad when I spent 2 hours in the character creator). If they had refunds for 2 weeks after launch I would have been happy. If they had talked to steam and gotten that first week policy in place I would have been happy. If they had released the game they had marketed I would have been happy. The issue isn't that CDPR showed the best of their game, with fake added quality, the issue is they tried passing a pork burger as beef and then selling it to muslims, or rather that they sold the game by marketing appeals that it didn't have at all to people who were very invested in the types of appeals they marketed.

Off topic but a project cannot be successful by definition if it's not complete, and nobody knows when (or if ever) it will be complete. Also, at this point I realize there is no point in dragging this discussion any longer. Thanks for all replies.

Poor choice of words on my part I suppose, I mostly meant the best funded.

And I fully agree with the last statement, that's the whole point of Star Citizen (not Squadron 42) it will never be completely finished in a traditional way, they're going all in, they as well as us want everything in it the best it can possibly be, it's a pipe dream really, but it's so fascinating and amazing at the same time.

I do as well thank you for the discussion, cheers :).
Post automatically merged:

Funnily enough you're not the only one. All my criticisms in this thread are less about CDPR and more about all the extra work one must go through to accurately read between the lines. Some are better at it than others. The blessing of the cynicism characteristic. The thread is about hype. My own criticism there is customers shouldn't have to have a PHD in reading between the lines to get accurate information on a product. The practice and associated behaviors for advertisement/marketing don't deserve praise or defense.

True but it's also the burden of the individual to be responsible with their capital before they spend it, it's just a simple fact of life.

If one's unsure just wait, it's not like they're going to run out of Digital Copies or anything.

If one preorders then one needs to accept the risk involved whether one's informed enough or not, it's just how it works - not saying I necessarily agree, but I'm a pebble in an ocean when it comes to changing the course of it and I accept that.

In terms of CDPR specifically.... Dictating what reviewers and "influencers" can and cannot cover in pre-launch reviews tells you all you need to know about the priorities. The care placed into vague, open to interpretation claims clearly designed to generate unrealistic levels of expectation speaks for itself. It's not a one time event either. It's a pattern of behavior.

I agree, but it's also an industry wide phenomena beginning with the twitch streamers, I absolutely despise this type of marketing.

As for dictating what they can review yes, I agree it's where they dropped the ball, they should have been forthrightly about everything, including the struggles before release.

But as a publicly traded company I believe there are many red tapes and strings attached so it may not be as simple as we might be led to believe, just offering a bit of context not looking for excuses, there are none.

As a customer, even though it's not going to go anywhere, my personal feelings are it's not the right way to get me to buy their products. A mentally constructed reputation is formed in my head for the company. Points are docked for it. They can claim whatever they wish about their products. It has no value. It's an unreliable source of information. The relationship there is less like walking up to a friendly neighbor who has given every indication they can be trusted. It's more like walking up to a crackhead on the street to ask them to watch over my parked vehicle while visiting a bad neighborhood.

Fair enough, I respect that :).

The confusion comes from defending such practices because they're the rule, not the exception, deferring all blame away from the product creator to everywhere else and acting like it's a good state of affairs.

No I believe you're the one who's confusing the situation, no one, I mean not a single one person that likes the game can come forth with a straight face and say that the release and everything that lead up to it was ok in any feasible way.

But also not everything is a lie either, there are specific things that need to be criticized, a wide blanket statement like ''they lied'' or ''they promised'' or even ''cut content'' is not constructive and leads to nothing but frustration on all parties involved in the discussion.

Either way I'm enjoying the discussion :).

Last edited:
No I believe you're the one who's confusing the situation, no one, I mean not a single one person that likes the game can come forth with a straight face and say that the release and everything that lead up to it was ok in any feasible way.
The comments in this thread declaring vague statements setup to generate hype as perfectly reasonable is what confuses me. It's like giving the crackhead a pat on the back when they steal your car. Yeah, you shouldn't have enlisted a crackhead to look out for your valuables. They're still the one directly responsible for stealing your car.
But also not everything is a lie either, there are specific things that need to be criticized, a wide blanket statement like ''they lied'' or ''they promised'' or even ''cut content'' is not constructive and leads to nothing but frustration on all parties involved in the discussion.
That's kind of why I've tried to steer clear of that type of stuff. If I felt lied to or tricked and bought the game I have some responsibility there. Even though I don't think the behaviors creating those situations should exist. Even though I don't think the product maker is absolved of all responsibility.

I don't think they technically lied about anything. It runs surprisingly well is very close. I do think they went a bit far with vague statements clearly setup to generate unrealistic expectations though. It doesn't sit well to see that behavior play out.

I'd greatly prefer it if they included the followup when advertising functionality not fully implemented into the game too. Step 1, here is what we're trying to put in the game. Step 2, here is what we ended up putting in the game. Step 2 should precede the game launch. Step 2 should be present. Step 1 shouldn't be left hanging while the customer is frustrated with ambiguity.

The real kicker is they did exactly this for certain mechanics. "Wall walking" (aka horizontal climbing... heh), car customization, multiple apartments, third person. They initially advertised this type of functionality. They then later said it wasn't making the cut for various reasons. The two step process on full display there. There are other areas where this could have been handled a lot better. Step 2 didn't make the cut or wasn't clarified particularly well.

You know let's draw the lines and be thorough but let's not how you suggest, please.
First of all I tried to stay on the Hype topic, how it was created and grew for me, who is responsible and how. I post a lot of positive things about what is positive for me on the game so I don't apreciate being treated as a disatisfied customer that could refund (yes I chose not to and am not sorry for it) when I have negative things to say about some aspect of the game. In this case the PR. CDPR themselves admitted their marketing was flawed and have taken steps to correct this in the future. Do you have criticizms about their marketing? What could those be as it seems you completely agknowledge their actions in this regard.
Firstly, the conversation is on the topic -- we're not making any personal criticisms. Please, don't take things personally. I'm responding to your argument, as you're responding to mine. I'm not making anyone out to be anything; it is an analysis of the "hype was misleading!" argument based on established facts and business practice.

Do I have criticisms of CDPR's marketing and PR? Yes, I do! I've never worked anywhere in which I didn't disagree with at least a few things that were handled in ways I just didn't like. (Strangely enough, people disagree with me about my views, as well.) I feel that CDPR could have been far more forthcoming in the frequency of information that was being delivered and the way it was being delivered. I felt that they could have been far more proactive, PR-wise, during the whole development process, as it was no mystery to me that people were getting some wild and crazy ideas that weren't coming from the studio. I feel that several important issues (over time, not only concerning CP2077) were simply not addressed properly, and the way certain things were handled showed a lack of conviction and consistency. For example, I don't waste a too much energy on "trying to prevent issues"; I focus on responding effectively and decisively when something inevitably goes wrong. I take a clear stance, let people think what they want, and handle issues that crop up face-to-face, eye-to-eye. I don't try to defend myself or excuse myself. I prefer to be the first to say, "This was my mistake, and this is how I'm going to fix it," and I'm equally quick to stand my ground in the face of overwhelming odds and say, "That's not acceptable, and it's not going to pass here." And I handle both situations with arms flung wide. If someone decides to take a shot at me, I sure hope they don't hurt their hand too much. However, I've never worked for any company that has been comfortable with that level of conviction. There are usually too many different minds and too much money involved, and people nowadays tend to avoid conflict rather than deal with it in a "Band-Aid off quick" style.

But, just as I have been honest above with the criticism, I am being equally honest when I say that I have never once, not in over 6 years that I've worked with them, seen a single person at CDPR do anything that I would even remotely call dishonest or unscrupulous. And that is pretty, damn rare. I've argued strongly at times for things to be handled differently, but that doesn't mean that things were handled wrongly. I'd simply have chosen a different approach.

I also stand by this view for CP2077, as I have seen and read pretty much every video, interview, or press release that came from the studio. I've got nothing that I would call misleading in any way. I have also seen and read many online sources, from Reddit posts to big-name magazines, that were claiming knowledge and making statements that made me go all Spock in the eyebrows. There's certainly been no shortage of that.

For me, once again, it's the tone of their communications more than actual lose statements that painted the wrong picture. I'll not go down the steps 1, 2, 3 as I agree with some user that said "yes you can find probably most of these features even if in small amount or differently than what was expected."...What is wrong with their campaign for me is that they weren't able to produce a good hype for the aspects the game deserves hype for...
And that's a perfectly valid opinion. But it's still only an opinion. Others can argue (and have argued) differently, according to their own opinions. In order to go anywhere decisively with this, we need to provide preponderance of the evidence -- objectively -- that the marketing was intentionally misleading. That it was purposefully fostering misinformation, then did not deliver those things in any form at release.

This will not be proven. What can be objectively proven is that CDPR had great ambitions for their game, and they shared that ambition with their consumers. They took some artistic liberties with their trailers, which were specifically and clearly identified as scripted renderings and not in-game footage. I can sit here and link to hundreds of gameplay trailers that show camera elements or gameplay features that were later changed or cut from the games, or so wildly different from actual gameplay that it's plainly obvious they were manipulated in the trailer for artistic effect. Hundreds upon hundreds of games, going back for decades. It's a well established technique for film, television, and gaming. Arguing anything other than this would be disingenuous to an absolute extreme. (No has said this here, but many others have definitely gone there.)

So the advertising campaign continued. Yup, as time passed, like with any game, they made some changes and cuts. The wall running with mantis blades didn't make it in (...the bit shown in the E3 demo from three years prior to release, with "Everything you see is subject to change," plastered everywhere). The approach to hacking also changed. Customization screen was redone. Menus were different. Graphics engine was balanced...

Hm...I guess...a lot happens between conceptual, work in progress, and finished product. So, just having a great idea doesn't automatically mean it will work out that way in the end. I suppose that's indicative of a creative process that's limited by the confines of reality.

Thus, the studio said, as any studio would:
"We've got something here, even if it's not every last thing we wanted to include! Let's sell our work as best we can! We still have a really great storyline. The characters are very well-done, and the technology for detailed dialogue interactions is fantastic! The gameworld is every bit detailed as we could have hoped, and we've got lots of unique and distinctive environments. We've filled the game with side quests and little storylines, and the main story fleshes out all of the big areas and factions in pretty awesome style. Players will have a blast with this!"

Or, are they expected to say:
"No -- wait -- maybe players will be disappointed because GTA has better driving, and RDR2 has more detailed shop interactions, and Call of Duty has better shooting mechanics. Let's not pay attention to our accomplishments and instead just accept that our game is probably rubbish since we're doing it differently. We may not have enough obviously branching quests for some players to think that it's worthy of calling the game "open-ended". And I guess there may not enough character build options, so some people may not agree that it's an RPG. If only we had included the ability to play guitar at night clubs whenever you wanted, we could have claimed that there were side-activities...because NCPD missions, cyper-psycho missions, theft gigs, assassination gigs, racing, fighting tournaments, and small, optional story missions aren't enough to truly claim side-activities. We also can't claim that we were trying to make the most realistic open-world environment to date, since last-gen consoles will have trouble achieving the same level of detail, crowd sizes, and draw distances as top-of-the-line hardware. Let's instead advertise the game for what it obviously is:

"Ahem...

"Cyberpunk 2077 is a fairly limited, sort-of open-world RPG that's primarily aimed at satisfying GTA V players. We've confirmed this through many anonymous social media sources. We also offer a storyline based on classical literary themes re-imagined for Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk universe, and a dynamic, motion-captured dialogue system that may be disappointing to players that don't like stuff like that. There's also numerous side activities to engage in, but maybe not enough to entertain players that would rather just randomly shoot civilians on the street. You have three basic classes to choose from, or mix and match to your desired gameplay approach, but despite the fact that it allows for every conceivable mix of ranged or melee combat, stealth, technical skill, or hacking that will provide options throughout the game, it's most likely that some players will have wanted it to be different. In the end, this is something we were loosely calling a role-playing experience, but because it's so narrative, it's probably more like a shooter instead because other people have insisted it is. We hope you enjoy!"

The game was advertised for exactly what it is. Not liking it, or having a different opinion of what "next-gen" should mean, or thinking another game is better at something, or feeling that certain role-playing aspects should not be called "role-playing", or encountering bugs and glitches...does not make a studio guilty of misrepresenting its game. That means that the individual didn't like the game. They're not required to. No worries there. If a company offers a product that is truly of no quality, they'll go out of business. If they're truly fraudulent, it'll be settled in court.

They certainly won't go on to sell 13.7 million copies despite offering extended refunds to dissatisfied customers.

If anyone is going to claim dishonesty, they're going to need factual evidence, not really strong opinions and/or lots of likes on social media. (And again, I'm not referring to you, personally, in any way. I'm talking about the bulk of the complaints that CDPR fostered misleading "hype". They didn't. Others did. CDPR is not responsible for anyone's statements or actions but their own. No studio is responsible for what goes on in other people's minds.)

That's why I said we can break down any NC Wire you like -- to look at the facts of the situation. Not wanting to address the word-for-word language used, the specific game content shown, in the actual context of the NC Wire at the time it was released, is reinforcing my point. People were simply coming up with their own interpretations. They wanted to be super-excited about it, so they let themselves be super-excited about it. Then, they were disappointed when the game didn't live up to their interpretations, expectations, and assumptions. As I said earlier, that's disappointing. I liked the game! Spent far too much time in my playthrough doing cyper-psycho missions and other random gigs before finally getting to the heist. All of that play time must be due to how utterly terrible the open-world stuff is. But to each their own. And that door swings both ways.

With no hard evidence backing up the claims of misleading advertising, this is a lesson in how not to make assumptions and avoid getting carried away by hype.

While I agree on the impossibility of validating the exact borderline between promoting and over promoting, I think it's not quite as hard to categorize a game to be on either side of said line. You might agree there, as you were easily able to distinguish which of the 6 game titles belong to either side. You named 6 interesting examples, 3 of which based their (previously mentioned) "continuous hype" on the game itself. This is, as previously mentioned, entirely in the hands of the consumers, because the consumer can validate whether the product they purchased was worth the money. You also pointed out 3 game titles which built up their marketing into hype, all of which have quickly proved themselves to be magnificent flops.
This is exactly my point. A customer doesn't need to draw a straight line at a given value and isn't supposed to distinguish good games from bad ones based on that line. The border between those is not a straight line, this is why one isn't able to draw this way. Lines are straight. That "artificial line" is fluid, blurred, constantly changing with a handful of variables, all of which lay in the eye of the beholder. However the customer should be able to tell, on which side of the artificial line the game belongs, in his own mind and opinion. Without necessarily being able to name the exact distance between their purchase, and the non existing line of validation.
Actually, from my experience, most advertising tries to land exactly on the line (or as close to the middle of blur as possible, using your imagery). The best advertising both creates and grows brand awareness, makes people likely to seek out the company's products online, and leaves them in a great position: either really happy because the product was more than they were expecting, or only slightly disappointed but still satisfied if the product was not exactly what they were looking for.

CDPR likes to reinvent the wheel constantly. I mean, the simplest, safest, most corporate-minded way of doing CP2077 would have been to simply ape TW3. Start reskinning models and building a new world map. Keep gameplay as close to Wild Hunt as possible, switch signs for guns, add some new melee combat animations, etc. Would have been a breeze, comparatively, and would likely have been a simple cookie-cutter game that would have gone over well with existing fans, since everything would have been readily familiar. That's the way Bethesda, Bioware, Ubisoft, and Activision role. Lots of money to be made doing it that way.

They didn't. They went off and did something they had never done before. A FPP game using a bunch of design ideas that were wildly time-consuming and trying to create an gaming experience that was all its own.

Sometimes, things just don't work out. They didn't misrepresent the game. It's simply that many players weren't happy with the approach, and they clearly weren't impressed by the vision.

Technically speaking you're right. There is no law which explicitly states a studio is liable in such cases. There is no law book that supports my point of view, and the likelihood of finding a court judge that would part with me is probably in the negatives.
Practically speaking the studio feels it's responsibility in the financial aspects. An over-promoted product will leave blanks in the places where money was supposed to be. That being said, I'm not calling CP77 a financial disaster, they made their fair cut. I have no way of proving that, but i suppose the sale expectations for 2020 weren't met though. The latest investor call has shown the expectations for 2021 weren't.
While this, strictly speaking, isn't responsibility as we define it on a daily basis, it shows the effects of such strategies and their impact on the studio.
Of course it will have an impact on the studio...but nowhere near what the present "hype" is trying to create. At no point was "financial gain" the prominent factor in the game's development. No business can simply choose to ignore it. Of course it was a factor, but it was not the factor.

Look at the game. If someone can't see the incredible amount of work and dedication that went into this, I don't think I can help them see it in anything. People slammed away on this thing for years. Somebody had to visualize all of this stuff. Someone had to write all of that dialogue. Someone had to craft all of those scenes. Someone had to come up with all of those different corners of NC. All the vehicles. All the skills. All the little pathways and key moments where players can handle things this way or that way...

It wasn't about the money. That's why I'm repeatedly saying whatever the numbers look like, it's fine. The studio is still there, and they're still slamming away on making CP2077 as good as it can be. I'd say the absolute hardest part, from the angle I was looking, were the terrible technical issues at launch...followed by so many negative reactions once people were able to get into it. That the game, itself, truly failed to appeal to so many people.

There's money in the world. That's still not the focus.

An analogy, i like those.
I am, indeed, fighting the gravity. However as opposed to marketing terms, the gravity is pretty defined and if our understanding of physics is precise enough, i think this is worth considering. Im only able to fight the gravity, because the gravity is constantly fighting me. The masses do have their specific forces which we cannot affect. A battle which one can't win, one could say. But then again, if we analyse the circumstances, we should be able to pick up some variables which we could influence. In this case the the variables are the opposing masses, which fight each other. What are the masses then? On one side there is the marketing industry standard, a huge multi billion business, consisting of many people doing their best to come up with new, more efficient strategies, less vulnerable marketing terms, leaving little to no room for discussion, actively trying to maximize the benefits at lowest possible cost. The opposing side is a customer like me, who tends to disagree with that questionable ideology and carried practice.
Back to physics. The bigger mass will be able to manipulate the lesser one. The lesser mass will be following each of it's bigger brothers steps according to what the bigger one decides. If the big boy takes the wrong direction, the smaller one will suffer too. This is exactly why I'm fighting the gravity. But not the gravity itself, what I'm trying to achieve is balancing the masses, so that each side can affect the other one. The fight is only fair that way.
And by balancing the masses, i mean trying to convince others to see tings as I do, or at least consider it as a possibility.
The bigger of those masses will keep growing, the smaller has to catch up. But with the bigger ones constant growth, the lesser can only dwindle, unless somebody actively tries to fight against it. And that's what I'm doing.

You made some interesting points, and I will replay to the rest of your message later on, this took my entire lunch break.
I think we're largely of the same mindset on this stuff. I will repeat: I hate business. I don't really like advertising because of how it works and what's expected and the games everyone is forced to play.

My only real point here was that it's not going to change. Advertising will continue to compete amongst itself, regardless of the products they're representing. Once a certain technique proves effective, not jumping on board usually means you're left behind. Once things get competitive, it's only a matter of time before someone takes it too far, and that will then color everything that follows.

But mostly, it's like I argue above in the response to @GogRelvas : all advertising will try to create the best possible flavor in its potential customer's mouths. To do anything less is simply shooting yourself in the foot. A customer thinking that my product's value is not equivalent to what I claim it is, whether they want to argue lower or higher, is their subjective opinion. That customer is not required to buy it, and there's nothing stopping them from buying more. It's not my responsibility to manage their mind and emotions. People aren't entitled to something simply because a lot of people happen to share their subjective opinion.

I'll end on my favorite way of handling arguments over "fairness". The world is not fair, and it never will be. If the world were fair, I'd be completing my 21st year as a tenured teacher in the Brookline School district. Even still...I wouldn't trade the life I've led to go back. Fair is not always equal. We don't need to like everything. We just need to learn.

Last edited:
Look at the game. If someone can't see the incredible amount of work and dedication that went into this, I don't think I can help them see it in anything. People slammed away on this thing for years. Somebody had to visualize all of this stuff. Someone had to write all of that dialogue. Someone had to craft all of those scenes. Someone had to come up with all of those different corners of NC. All the vehicles. All the skills. All the little pathways and key moments where players can handle things this way or that way...
Yes, the amount of work is insane, it's certain.
Just for Kabuki, I can hardly imagine the time (and the passion) it took to create just this "little" neighborhood... Likewise for the dialogues, if there is a "book" containing all the dialogues present in the game (quests/random NPCs/News/shards...), it would certainly weigh heavily... And even more if we add all the available languages...
I'm always impresse when I'm walking around Night City, even after six months... I still manage to find places where I had never set foot or dialogues from random NPCs that I had never heard... :)

ya1

Forum regular
Sometimes, things just don't work out. They didn't misrepresent the game. It's simply that many players weren't happy with the approach, and they clearly weren't impressed by the vision.

The reaction I see in most people is the exact opposite. They do appreciate the vision. Most people actually praise it to high heaven. What they do not appreciate is the amount of work that went into that vision as opposed to how it was advertised. It was supposed to be "next-gen open world experience" and "most believable city ever." But the project received maybe half the development time of the last-gen staple of open-world city games which is GTAV. All the deficiencies naturally resulting from that - this is I find most people unimpressed by.

The comments in this thread declaring vague statements setup to generate hype as perfectly reasonable is what confuses me. It's like giving the crackhead a pat on the back when they steal your car. Yeah, you shouldn't have enlisted a crackhead to look out for your valuables. They're still the one directly responsible for stealing your car.

This is the confusion right here, I don't think anyone thinks it's reasonable - I certainly don't, I think people are providing the context in which it's quite clear that it's an industry wide problem.

What people have a problem with is having CDPR as the hill to die on when it comes to this specific criticism, there are far worse offenders and much worse companies that didn't garner nearly as close to deserved anger-hate-criticism.

As you have noticed I didn't say they don't deserve it, it's just disproportionate.

That's kind of why I've tried to steer clear of that type of stuff. If I felt lied to or tricked and bought the game I have some responsibility there. Even though I don't think the behaviors creating those situations should exist. Even though I don't think the product maker is absolved of all responsibility.

Fully agreed!

I don't think they technically lied about anything. It runs surprisingly well is very close. I do think they went a bit far with vague statements clearly setup to generate unrealistic expectations though. It doesn't sit well to see that behavior play out.

This is my major problem as well, they should have been perfectly clear about the state of the game on the various platforms and the struggles that lead up to the release.

That's a form of marketing as well which is not nearly used enough, it's mostly reliant on the general public's sympathy - perhaps there is none left after the recent years...

I'd greatly prefer it if they included the followup when advertising functionality not fully implemented into the game too. Step 1, here is what we're trying to put in the game. Step 2, here is what we ended up putting in the game. Step 2 should precede the game launch. Step 2 should be present. Step 1 shouldn't be left hanging while the customer is frustrated with ambiguity.

The real kicker is they did exactly this for certain mechanics. "Wall walking" (aka horizontal climbing... heh), car customization, multiple apartments, third person. They initially advertised this type of functionality. They then later said it wasn't making the cut for various reasons. The two step process on full display there. There are other areas where this could have been handled a lot better. Step 2 didn't make the cut or wasn't clarified particularly well.

Sure, this is why I'm confused as to why these things end up on lists of missing features and promised content.

I'm also firmly in the camp that thinks the game was shown way too early to the general uneducated public, now since this road was pursued I believe that perhaps having developer diaries that explains the thought processes behind the general inclusion/exclusion of elements would have helped ground the hype as a result.

Basically go for open development if you are to show the game 5-6 years before the release, or just hold back and start the marketing once you've finalized the overall vision and all the major pieces are in place.

But the project received maybe half the development time of the last-gen staple of open-world city games which is GTAV. All the deficiencies naturally resulting from that - this is I find most people unimpressed by.
I know the company did not want a repeat of the Witcher 3 delay thing. It's easy, when involved in a creative process, to want to do "just a few more things" before putting the final product up. That's why things like deadlines exist. There needs to be someone on board that's captaining the helm, or a project winds up like Duke Nukem Forever. (How many versions of the Unreal Engine was that built for?) Or Star Citizen. (What's the latest release date for the open-world space sim...no...the single-player campaign that will receive an open-world expansion down the line...no...the separate SP campaign that's now being produced by the separate studio that was created...no...the generalized content that's being released piecemeal as an ongoing alpha for nine years running?) Someone needs to be able to say: "30 days, people!"

Personally, and I'm not a developer, so I can't confirm this, but here's my take on what happened:
There are elements of game production that many people have misconceptions of. Projects like this are not a bunch of devs sharing office space where people can just wander around the room to see how everyone else is doing. There are different teams of people working independently on different aspects of a game around the world. Main gameplay coding and the story script was done in Poland, while the subsidiary California offices handled motion and audio capture, I believe. There are also offices in China, though I've got no idea what their role was. That means that during any 24 hour period, numerous issues may be encountered, but it will likely be 8+ hours before another team even becomes aware. That often requires other teams to stop, undo, and redo their parts to adjust for something that had to change with a different team.

When the pandemic hit, it meant that people couldn't even go into their actual studios to use their workstations to continue their jobs -- just as everything was supposed to be "put together" for the first time. So, the leadership would be left trying to remotely contact various teams and getting a sense of where things were. A difficult call had to be made. Of course, everyone wanted more time, but what did the overall game look like? Did they believe that the most pressing issues could be rectified by the release date? The leadership decided, Yes! We've got our game. It may be a little rough in spots, but the core of the game is there with bells on. The main quest is in great shape, and there's nothing so terrible that it can't be rectified by the Day 0 patch. This is it!

Aaannnd...they were wrong. The issues were more significant. They came right out and said it was the leadership's responsibility to make that call, and the teams had worked extremely well the entire time. They then acknowledged the issues, especially those on last-gen consoles, and promised they would rectify the problems with the game. And they continue to do so. They even took money right out their pockets to refund players that wanted it -- and they advertised that as a option. Simple logic here: if I'm going to intentionally "over-hype" my game to drum up sales at release...why would I refund the money after the fact? That would defeat the whole purpose of an expensive ad campaign that was specifically designed to take advantage of consumers and maximize sales.

That's also a different bag altogether from the fact that it seems many players were simply not interested in the heavy narrative that was driving this branching, open-world RPG. It seems most players wanted something more like a sandbox. That doesn't mean that the game is not what CDPR advertised -- it means that some players just didn't like the way the final game worked. That's perfectly valid feedback, and people are welcome to share their criticisms. However, claiming "CDPR did this on purpose because they knew their game was bad and they tricked us into buying it," is utterly ridiculous. That's baseless angst because people didn't get what they wanted. If I'm dissatisfied with something, I send that feedback or seek a refund. I don't get to sling groundless accusations.

But, yeah, to land on a note of compromise, I get what a lot of people are feeling. I'm not saying that I had any inside information -- I didn't -- but I knew that TW3 would be a hard shadow to get out from under. It was an instant classic that's already become a living legend. It hit so many high notes with so many people that it's hard to accept the successive title would not be as good. There were definitely parts of Cyberpunk that were clunky and underwhelming. We can certainly argue that certain things are in place to be amazing...but they feel like the opportunity was missed. I get that such feelings may have ruined the experience for some players. And it's worth talking about. Hell -- those things may still see significant improvements through patches or DLC!

But CDPR did not use "hype" to misrepresent their game. That is not what happened, in any way, shape, or form.

Yes, the amount of work is insane, it's certain.
Just for Kabuki, I can hardly imagine the time (and the passion) it took to create just this "little" neighborhood... Likewise for the dialogues, if there is a "book" containing all the dialogues present in the game (quests/random NPCs/News/shards...), it would certainly weigh heavily... And even more if we add all the available languages...
I'm always impresse when I'm walking around Night City, even after six months... I still manage to find places where I had never set foot or dialogues from random NPCs that I had never heard... :)
Yeah -- this is a good example of the crazy amount of time and effort that went into this. So many considerations, and little details, and different facets of the gameworld coming to life.

If I were seeing this all start coming together on my screen, after years of work, I'd say we had something pretty amazing, too! I'd have no problem going out and positively advertising everything that had been created. Even if I knew there would be some things to iron out in the future, I wouldn't imagine it would prevent players from sinking their teeth into what was there and absolutely loving it.

Last edited:
Yeah -- this is a good example of the crazy amount of time and effort that went into this. So many considerations, and little details, and different facets of the gameworld coming to life.

If I were seeing this all start coming together on my screen, after years of work, I'd say we had something pretty amazing, too! I'd have no problem going out and positively advertising everything that had been created. Even if I knew there would be some things to iron out in the future, I wouldn't imagine it would prevent players from sinking their teeth into what was there and absolutely loving it.
If I can allow myself a little off-topic, this is where I find that having showed directly all the quests and activity on the map does not highlight the quality/quantity of the work done on Night City. And for me, it's a shame :(

In my opinion, players who have completed the entire game only once (about a hundred hours) but only moved from quest to quest following the markers may not have seen more than 60-70% (being generous) of Night City. There are plenty of great places, you have to go there especially to explore/loot because there are absolutely no marker or points of interest nearby (like the Kabuki heights or the JapanTown lowlands).

"It runs supringly well on the base consoles" is a truth but this isn't the same as saying it runs well on consoles. The minute I read that I saw the qualifiers and know the PR speak when I see it for "I'm amazed it runs at all"

"most believable city ever." – once again a subjective statement.. it means nothing. The circusmen used to tout their events as the greatest shows on earth. salesmen constantly saying their products is the best ever. Salesmen when they try to sell you something like to believe they are selling you the best product ever, whatever it is and this simply cannot be true but.. we are adults and we get over it and learn.

Truth in advertising,... The people who make the rules rely on PR and advertising and downright lies to get into power. I'm sure you know some politicians that have done this... Well they and their governments set the rules and produce the societal framework we work within. We are not going to get truth in advertising so forget that pipe dream. Just look at who gets elected and you know that will never happen. Educate yourself with critical thinking and don't listen to anyone but yourself when you hear something is the best

If I can allow myself a little off-topic, this is where I find that having showed directly all the quests and activity on the map does not highlight the quality/quantity of the work done on Night City. And for me, it's a shame :(

In my opinion, players who have completed the entire game only once (about a hundred hours) but only moved from quest to quest following the markers may not have seen more than 60-70% (being generous) of Night City. There are plenty of great places, you have to go there especially to explore/loot because there are absolutely no marker or points of interest nearby (like the Kabuki heights or the JapanTown lowlands).

I'll often travel by foot for distances under 500m and take my time exploring on the way to a destination. There are always new spots to be found so far, after nearly 1k hours I started a new playthrough s few days ago, yesterday I found a second netrunner dead in a bathtub in kubuki round the back of some pharmacy. I love that I am still finding new stuff.

"It runs supringly well on the base consoles" is a truth but this isn't the same as saying it runs well on consoles. The minute I read that I saw the qualifiers and know the PR speak when I see it for "I'm amazed it runs at all"
Let me offer even harsher criticism to the state of the game at launch to sympathize with this. I personally watched the game running on a PS4, and it was mostly fine, but not at all smooth or what I would call polished. However, I also watched other people's gameplay footage and...holy wow...that wasn't "a little choppy" or something...it was a lurid disaster!

I'm very, very happy that CDPR decided to pull it and offer the refunds. I know they probably didn't think it would have issues that severe, but it did. At that point, there was nothing else to be done but say, "Sorry -- our mistake entirely. It's off the shelves. Here's where to go for a refund. Please, be patient while we fix this. We hope to see you again!"

"most believable city ever." – once again a subjective statement.. it means nothing. The circusmen used to tout their events as the greatest shows on earth. salesmen constantly saying their products is the best ever. Salesmen when they try to sell you something like to believe they are selling you the best product ever, whatever it is and this simply cannot be true but.. we are adults and we get over it and learn.

Truth in advertising,... The people who make the rules rely on PR and advertising and downright lies to get into power. I'm sure you know some politicians that have done this... Well they and their governments set the rules and produce the societal framework we work within. We are not going to get truth in advertising so forget that pipe dream. Just look at who gets elected and you know that will never happen. Educate yourself with critical thinking and don't listen to anyone but yourself when you hear something is the best
Yup! I agree.

Also, I think it's important for me to reinforce that I'm not saying it never happens. There are false advertising laws for a reason. We don't have to go too far to find some prominent examples of games that directly and specifically lied in order to gain publicity, then proceeded not to include the very features they were describing. I'll address No Man's Sky here as a prime example. I mean, it was less than 30 days to launch, and the interviews were asking specific yes and no questions about the game:

Q: Can you encounter other people in the game?
A: Yes...but the chances will be so slight that it's likely never to happen.
Q: But if we do, will we see that other character?
A: Yes!
Q: And as we explore space, planets and moons will revolve and orbit in realistic ways, meaning day and night are actually happening?
Q: And we can get involved with this or that faction and engage in huge space battles with capital ships, like we saw in the gameplay demo?
Etc.

Upon release, these things were absolutely, 100%, no argument possible, simply not in the game. There was video proof of people meeting in the game, and you very clearly could not see the other players. There was absolutely no code in the game to make that happen. Planets and moons 100% did not move. They did not rotate; they did not revolve. Day and night were simulated on a surface using an easy-to-identify system that had nothing to do with a star as a light source. You absolutely could not get involved in giant space battles. There was no option, no mission, and no random encounters that created that type of scenario. Once again, it wasn't in the game. This was false advertising. Yes/No questions were asked, and the answers given were the opposite of the truth.

That reality was crystal clear to me at the time. I said to others, "I don't know about it. It looked like a really good concept, but think of it this way: It's less than a month from release...and there's no new gameplay footage...no new trailers...no demos...no public beta or anything...no specific info about the game mechanics. And Sony is supposedly producing it? That doesn't seem odd to you? I think I'll hold off on this for a while."

Others came back to me with things like: "It's a minimalistic advertising campaign, and it's awesome they're doing that! / The game is being kept secret because it's going to be so mind-blowing! / They don't need to say anything else since they know people are already interested. / I think it's clear this is going to be one of the greatest games ever made." (<-- This would be "hype".)

As for what happened, I'd have to argue...well...no kidding.

Let me also hit another big controversy: Anthem. Dang did that fall flat on its face. Clearly the vision and focus was very unclear, even if it was a cool idea. The gameplay was pretty underwhelming compared to what the demos and trailers made it feel like. I'd say that was a seriously missed opportunity.

But there was no false advertising. Not anywhere.

They promoted the storyline of the game, which was there, but arguably handled poorly. There was certainly a huge world to explore. There was multiplayer. There was loot. There were customizations to unlock for your suit. There were lots of different play styles, and quests to engage in, and ways to create synergy with other team members.

The trouble was many people weren't happy with it. They didn't like it. It didn't live up to the vibe and energy that the trailers and demos seemed to create. They found it flat, and empty, and accomplishing nothing that a lot of other, similar games didn't do a whole lot better. They thought it was a bad game. Magically, other people enjoyed it just fine, and continued playing it even though lots of people didn't care for it.

Absolutely no one was "lied to". It just wasn't a game that resonated with a lot of people. That's life on the big, blue marble.

And yes, critical thinking is how we tell the difference between the two situations above. Opinions are free to fly, but if people want to make accusations, they're going to need more than strong opinions to back it up.

I'll often travel by foot for distances under 500m and take my time exploring on the way to a destination. There are always new spots to be found so far, after nearly 1k hours I started a new playthrough s few days ago, yesterday I found a second netrunner dead in a bathtub in kubuki round the back of some pharmacy. I love that I am still finding new stuff.
Heh -- I'm kind of the same way. I switched to a gamepad early on, both for driving and so that I could walk around the streets. I always poked my nose down alleyways and stuff. There are lots of interesting things to discover everywhere. I'd say there have been few open-world games that were this detailed and also this full of content.

Here's what I see when i think about the marketing campaign of Cyberpunk 2077:

1. What we were promissed over many, many years
2. What it all got reduced to and shown to us
3. The technical state of the game

horse stages.JPG

Let me give you another image, this time relating to how the game was shown to us:

Capture.JPG

In other words we were shown only the finished and working portions of the game. Everything that just didn't work or presented lower quality level was omitted. I remember scratching my head while watching all the gameplays and promotional materials, asking myself "why are we not being shown the <<living, breathing city>>? It's all combat or missions. I know the combat and the missions will be good, that's the easy part for CDPR! Show us the day-to-day life of your virtual city!"

Another thing that bothers me a lot is this:

Capture2.JPG

Putting "work in progress" on gameplays, especially the early ones, is intended to justify why there are still glitches and issues in presented footage. Basically it's the way for the company to say "if you see something not quite right on the video, it's beacuse we are still working on the game". "Work in progress" means that what you see will only get better. Or it should be used that way. CDPR uses "work in progress" label to do the exact opposite. CDPR uses it as an excuse for removed content and functionalities that are not working how presented.

Remember how CDPR said to reviewers that the game they got before release is not the final product and that all the glitches and problems will be sorted with "Day One Patch"? That's why early reviews and previews were so positive and optimistic. Not because The Evil Journalists wanting to build hype and generate Those Clicks. It's because they trusted CDPR to actually fix the technical issues. Even Angry Joe, who usually doesn't pull any punches, waited with review of Cyberpunk so CDPR could fix the game. We all trusted CDPR and they used that trust against us.

Putting "work in progress" on gameplays, especially the early ones, is intended to justify why there are still glitches and issues in presented footage. Basically it's the way for the company to say "if you see something not quite right on the video, it's beacuse we are still working on the game". "Work in progress" means that what you see will only get better. Or it should be used that way. CDPR uses "work in progress" label to do the exact opposite. CDPR uses it as an excuse for removed content and functionalities that are not working how presented.
They did a lot more than just put work on progress on it... there was also this message at the end which makes it quite clear that this was unlikely to be what the game would look or perform like.

1623835273609.png

"Work in progress" means that what you see will only get better. Or it should be used that way. CDPR uses "work in progress" label to do the exact opposite. CDPR uses it as an excuse for removed content and functionalities that are not working how presented.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but for me "does not represent the final look of the game" means what it says...
That it is possible that nothing that is presented will be present in the final game. Basically, it is quite possible to change everything, to cut everything or to modify everything.

Guest 3847602

Even Angry Joe, who usually doesn't pull any punches, waited with review of Cyberpunk so CDPR could fix the game.
He did what he does with every other game for the last 6-7 years - wait for 2 weeks, see what the internet's opinion is, collect the footage from other youtubers and make a video where he parrots other people's opinions and memes he picked up from someone else. He never, ever goes against the general consensus.

Advertising and marketing are about putting the best spin on something. Unless someone is 12 years old, they know that.

You don't eat the burger in a MacDonalds advert because it has been covered in wood varnish, may have been injected with various filler substances, will have been touched repeatedly to make it the right shape, has been sitting there in the open for five hours through the photoshoot, and is steaming courtesy of a bowl of water or glycerine behind it the fumes of which are adding to the general threat of "eat this and you will end up in hospital".

Likewise, when you put on L'Oréal's latest Essence of Eucalypt Macadamia and Orchid Infused Tonka Bean Rejuvenation Cream with Papaya Granules and Passion Fruit Musk, you do not actually walk out of the bathroom looking like a 13-year-old Ukrainian fashion model.

There is a difference between false claims and puffery (talking something up). There is a huge difference between marketing materials that say very clearly and repeatedly, in audio and in text, that anything and everything may change because the shape of a product has not been finalised, and ones that make explicit, precise, binding claims (and that's without even getting into the point that the content of the most notorious videos is recognisably in the game, albeit not identically). There is also a difference between the maker of a product saying something and the media (over whom the product's maker has absolutely no control) telling you that a product will do something when they have absolutely no idea what it will do because they are not making it.

Where features that had been promised were removed, the studio explicitly said so (eg wall running). Where things did not work to a level that was widely considered unacceptable (the console versions on release), the studio acted appropriately and offered refunds.

The rest -- that people's fantasies were not met -- is no one's problem but their own.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but it's hard to think of a similar outpouring of childish grief that a commercial entertainment product failed to meet people's own fantasies since the Star Wars prequels.

It is six months later. Except for console players who have grievances with the technical performance of the game, frankly people need to get over it and re-enter the real world.

Last edited:
It is more than six months later. Except for console players who have grievances with the technical performance of the game, frankly people need to get over it and re-enter the real world.
Expect for half of the customers, the customers shouldn't complain?

Expect for half of the customers, the customers shouldn't complain?
Where people have legitimate issues that the game is technically incapable of operating on their machine to an acceptable level, eg constant crashing, that is a very different matter from "but I thought I'd be able to braid my hair".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom