On the subject of AI and "It's not hard, just do it"

+
I can't really see how some of the Cyberpunk 2077 features influence the game AI. Customisation of the character? Like, do random people in the game complement the character on his clothes as he strolls down the street? Because if they supposed to do so, it's clearly bugged out. :D
Sure, we have the character progression, all the perks and weapons, but usually they just make us deal more damage, move faster or interact with the environment and have little to no effect on AI behavior. Like, how does me jumping 8m in the air affect an NPC who walks 2m above the ground, or a car ramming a road barrier? Actually, if I was driving by and saw a guy jumping 8m in the air, I would probably drive myself into a sign post too. :D

But yeah, if the AI was not too sophisticated, it would be a matter of "the game AI is just bare bones". At the moment tho it looks like the devs just didn't spent too much time on testing. :(
Post automatically merged:

I don't recall BL Ai swapping arms when wounded or tripping over fallen NPCs, for example.
Hold on, Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to have enemies tripping over fallen NPCs?! O_0

Are you saying you are both a computer scientist and a coder then? Or you have a piece from someone who is that, talking about implementing AI in games and why it's easier than we think?

Also, I'm not going to list the features. Come on. If you think they have the same featureset, or anything even close, this is a waste of time.
Yes.

Quality over quantity. That's also ignoring the features that Cyberpunk is missing, which obviously I am not going to list.

Could you let me know what games you have programmed?
The idea is 23 people at DMA Design made better AI police system in 2001. People have done better AI system 19 years ago so it cannot be that hard now, no?

The idea the one cannot criticize something if its not an expert in that field its illogical.

And for your knowledge i have at 13 years made simple platform games with levels in Visual C++ and Java after 1 moths of self learning of programming.
Now at 16 years old i am self learning quantum mechanics and general relativity. This subject its far complex then making simple ai for games.

Last edited:
AI as lot that can be said off...first,real AI in games is not doable...i mean one guy aginst twenty?With real AI what do you think would happen?
Second,with real AI the game must have the abilitie to calculate every situation and every iteraction that we have with the world...so in a game with 1000 npcs,every one of them as to have a way to calculate every situatiin that he can encounter as you play and you interact with them...so,no...it is not easy to do...and yes,i work as a AI investigator for a Faculty here in portugal and i can say that real AI in games would need a lot,i mean a lot of horse power...just for a simulation we have a basement fullnof processing power for that...but there is things you can do...watch dogs 2 did this very well...but it was all scripted and recorded...despite this the npcs and enemies know how to react to an imense of situations...almost like they were tougth that...AI is very complex if you to talk about real AI...it is not something just like lines of code...the world of the game would have to adpate and evolve around you...so one guy against twenty?no one would end that game that isnfor sure...

I don't think cost efficiency is a good argument having spent so much on probably the biggest advertisement campaign a video game has ever seen, casting a Hollywood star and licensing a legendary Porsche car.
Decisions were made, and decisions were wrong. It was obvious to the managers the game won't meet it's expectations at release date given the budget they had, they had plenty of opportunities to cut the costs, they just decided hyping up the game was the better option.

AI as lot that can be said off...first,real AI in games is not doable...i mean one guy aginst twenty?With real AI what do you think would happen?
Second,with real AI the game must have the abilitie to calculate every situation and every iteraction that we have with the world...so in a game with 1000 npcs,every one of them as to have a way to calculate every situatiin that he can encounter as you play and you interact with them...so,no...it is not easy to do...and yes,i work as a AI investigator for a Faculty here in portugal and i can say that real AI in games would need a lot,i mean a lot of horse power...just for a simulation we have a basement fullnof processing power for that...but there is things you can do...watch dogs 2 did this very well...but it was all scripted and recorded...despite this the npcs and enemies know how to react to an imense of situations...almost like they were tougth that...AI is very complex if you to talk about real AI...it is not something just like lines of code...the world of the game would have to adpate and evolve around you...so one guy against twenty?no one would end that game that isnfor sure...
I respect your point of view and am sure no-one here thinks true AI is easy. Or doable to begin with. :D
But don't you think that in many cases of Cyberpunk 2077 making even a slight adjustment to the system the game already has would help things out?

Also a lot of frustration comes from a fact that we just don't know if they are even working on improving that aspect of the game.

.AI is very complex if you to talk about real AI...it is not something just like lines of code...
real ai isnt even existing at present - but still what cyberpunk offers atm does not even come close to imulated ai or intelligent decision-trees. i think thats what bothers people the most. also most people dont even talk about combat ai, but about pedestrian behavior, traffic and police spawns - and those can be done way better by current industry standarts. - i guess by now noone really expecrt the 24-hrs npc routines cdpr was so proud to promise - that wont happen at all. but improvment in standart routines and mechanics which other done way better 5-10 years ago - should be a must have.

Shit, I just made me remember that one. :(
We were supposed to get a city that has a real "day schedule" with different crowds and different traffic depending on the time of the day. You were supposed to be able to tell what time of day it is just by looking at people walking by.

The idea is 23 people at DMA Design made better AI police system in 2001. People have done better AI system 19 years ago so it cannot be that hard now, no?

The idea the one cannot criticize something if its not an expert in that field its illogical.

And for your knowledge i have at 13 years made simple platform games with levels in Visual C++ and Java after 1 moths of self learning of programming.
Now at 16 years old i am self learning quantum mechanics and general relativity. This subject its far complex then making simple ai for games.
Do you mean that you are 16 years old now?

I agree with everything regarding the AI of cyberpunk 2077...i was just stating mi point of view...game wise there are bether games with AI...in cyberpunk it cant be difficult,because it is scripted...i didnt test this myself but in the game files must be the "lines"of such thing...the problem is how the rest of the other system respond to this one...

my big issue with ai is that combat is a core game loop (also, there are TWO core game loops, no wonder there are so many problems, as story doesn't integrate well with combat) but it doesn't get nearly enough attention to warrant combat being core to the game. withcer 3's core loop was more about preparation, with story integrated into the preparation as you explore the nearby area and collect info on how to fight hte monsters, but in cyberpunk they jsut treat it like a secondary thing to the story, even though you're in combat as much as you're in dialogue. ai in this game really just a sad state of affairs

Shit, I just made me remember that one. :(
We were supposed to get a city that has a real "day schedule" with different crowds and different traffic depending on the time of the day. You were supposed to be able to tell what time of day it is just by looking at people walking by.
It's not perfect but hang around the city centre / corpo plaza areas in rush hour (eg 8am) when the roads are absolutely jam packed, as are the streets (possibly depending on your machine specs), and this very obviously does happen, at least in some areas.

It's not perfect but hang around the city centre / corpo plaza areas in rush hour (eg 8am) when the roads are absolutely jam packed, as are the streets (possibly depending on your machine specs), and this very obviously does happen, at least in some areas.
Yep, it's a little bit for that reason, I play only the night.
(And also because Night City is awesome at night).

PS : But you couldn't see that if you haven't been more far than Vick's clinic.

Top Bottom