Once leaders are seperate from their abilties......

+
We should have the option to take them off the board entirely. It's always looked a bit strange to me to have these little people standing on the board like that. Since they are turning into skins just standing there for no reason I think we should be able to just remove them and play Gwent like we used to in beta.

The whole reason they're decoupling leaders and abilities to begin with is to make skins more valuable before they introduce a whole bunch of paid skins. They'd see the option to hide it as off putting to some people who might have otherwise invested in those skins. If they could they'd plaster your leader model all over the game and have them dancing on top of each card you play. Maybe sell dancing animations for the leaders too.

The whole reason they're decoupling leaders and abilities to begin with is to make skins more valuable before they introduce a whole bunch of paid skins. They'd see the option to hide it as off putting to some people who might have otherwise invested in those skins. If they could they'd plaster your leader model all over the game and have them dancing on top of each card you play. Maybe sell dancing animations for the leaders too.

I don't think they realize that some players like me look at them as useless now. I care even less about skins for some random character just standing there.

I feel the same. Leaders are pointless now. I'd so much rather go back to leader cards but I'm all for an option to take leaders off the screen. This is what they are all in though. The changes made from beta were all for the mobile launch.

TMaybe sell dancing animations for the leaders too.
Gwentnite or Fortwent?
I don't think they realize that some players like me look at them as useless now. I care even less about skins for some random character just standing there.
Vanity sells. I remember when ranked seasonal borders and avatars were exclusive and had to be earned, people hinting that they'd happily pay for previous seasons trinkets. Anyway, i don't think it would be such a deal-breaker to have an option to turn off leaders and animations. MTGA lets me choose if I want cat son the field or not. The player on the other end doesn't know what I've got the toggle set to, since they only see what their settings allows.

Last edited:
Decoupling abilities from leaders makes no sense. It destroys their meaning, their uniqueness, their "brand". I can draw a picture on a piece of paper, stick it on my screen and call it my leader. What's the next step, decoupling abilities from cards, because some cards don't see much play and CDPR wants to introduce more cards but not new card abilities? Does that sound silly? Probably because it is, just as with leaders.

As CDPR themselves mentioned, people sometimes forget that they can use their leader, simply because these 3D models don't look and feel part of the card game. If we're going this way, better just remove all 3D models. Gwent is a card game so let's make the 3D leaders into cards again, with cool card art and cool abilities. There can be different versions of leader cards with different abilities, just like in Witcher 3. I can't believe that so many good concepts from beta and even Witcher 3 are simply ignored and not developed further.

Last edited:

Guest 4368268

Not looking forward to my opponent dab emoting me before making his last play

DRK3

Forum veteran
I also hate these Leader 3D Models, the new Vs screen where now they appear too, and the decoupling of Leader abilities.

I'm a player that cares about vanity items... i spent a great deal (time and effort, not money) in games like Team Fortress 2 and Rocket League just to "look cool and show off".
But these leader models are just so damn ugly, i dont care about skins for them... idk, maybe its just my crappy PC that cant render them properly.

And even though some avatars, borders and cardbacks available for MTX look great, i wont spend money on them when i got other cool ones accessible otherwise.

maybe they can restrict a bunch of abilities to each leader, not all 5 or 6 to each... like AQ could equip only ArachasDrones and Egg of Gernichora, but not WoodlandSpirit

what will happen with their animations when they use abilities? those were suited for abilities, and also take different amounts of time, so from the pure gameplay perspective it will be best to just use the leader with the shortest animation?

Last edited:
What I'd really like to see is you choosing your avatar. This would show with the leader card for vs screen. This way I can pretend I'm playing gwent as an actual character. you could then emote as your avatar in that characters voice ( I miss playing bloody arse after misplays) this also would make avatars something to care about again as they all had unique voice lines.

What I'd really like to see is you choosing your avatar. This would show with the leader card for vs screen. This way I can pretend I'm playing gwent as an actual character. you could then emote as your avatar in that characters voice ( I miss playing bloody arse after misplays) this also would make avatars something to care about again as they all had unique voice lines.
I fully agree. CDPR should focus on avatars and create more avatar vanity stuff. Leave the leaders alone and don't decouple leaders from their abilities. The only good change regarding leaders would be to make them cards again. I think that may actually make the game more interesting as leaders would then really be part of the game. Imagine AQ being put on the board as a big leader, having the same passive ability for as long as she stays alive and maybe doing something on deploy as well. Different versions (different art) of leader cards can be created if the same leader would get more abilities to choose from (Witcher 3 Gwent style), but the abilities should remain unique for each leader.

Top Bottom