One of the Downsides of WotW?

+
Yeah, ST is insane right now.

I think the only way to win against them is to play SK and just destroy any ST units that hit the board. LOL

To my mind Cat witcher should be compared to the counterparts of the other fractions
- SC Cat witcher: Body 4, conditional 1 damage if there is a target in the opponent row. After Adrenaline 4 conditional damage is increased to 2., +1 synergy if Dol Blathanna Sentry is on Ranged
- NR Griffin Witcher: Body 4, after next turn 1 damage, Adrenaline 3: +3 damage and blocked, great synergies with veil as block can be stopped
- SK Bear witcher: Body 5 (damaged by 3), after Adrenaline 4 + 3 damage for other units; great synergies with heal leader or cards benefitting from damaged cards
- NG Viper witcher: Body; bleeding 2, After Adrenaline 6 viper witcher on the top of the opponent deck, great synergies with Kolgrim and Viper witcher adept and deck distrubance

=> All those new viper are greatly integrated into the game.

For me the most obvious counterpart is Griffin witcher. And it´s very difficult to say which is stronger.
If you sum up their potential damage value (assuming played as first card and all 10 cards are played, every target hits and Griffin witcher gets veil)
AdrenalineGriffin witcherCat witcher
9​
0​
1​
8​
1​
1​
7​
1​
1​
6​
1​
1​
5​
1​
1​
4​
1​
2​
3​
4​
2​
2​
4​
2​
1​
4​
2​
0​
4​
2​
21​
15​

You see that there is more point potential with Griffin witcher.

If you add 1 sentry as second card the analysis looks a bit differently.

AdrenalineGriffin witcherCat witcher + Sentry
9​
0​
1​
8​
1​
2​
7​
1​
2​
6​
1​
2​
5​
1​
2​
4​
1​
3​
3​
4​
3​
2​
4​
3​
1​
4​
3​
0​
4​
3​
21​
24​

If you have no Yrden probably the Sentry is the opponents main goal of removal as there can face so many moving units.

Nevertheless, if I would have to choose between these 2 ones I would consider Griffin witcher to be the stronger. Why?
- Ability to really select your target with Griffin witcher
- More point potential if you manage to veil it
- Cat witcher probably does not always find food on Melee.

The main advantage of Cat witcher is that the whole card is perfectly fitting into the whole move familiy of SC

Last edited:
What? they have built-in row changers: 1 from location, 3 from leaders. Some decks even tech Vrihedd Dragoon.

And low tempo? ST has one of the most OP thinning card: N Justice. Forest Protector is not low tempo card, Oak isn't, same as Gaetan combos with sentry and cat witcher mentor. That combo is ~ 20 to 30 points in one turn.
I’m sorry, let me clarify. I make a distinction between tempo and reach. Justice and Oak have high reach because they score a lot of points in one turn — but then they are done. Movement engines are low tempo because they take several turns to establish. For example, two cat Witcher’s (on opposite rows), a matron, and a Sentry form a six point per turn engine — which is strong, but it also takes 4 rounds to set up. Gaetan is even slower as he requires several cards on the same row to achieve value.

For me the most obvious counterpart is Griffin witcher. And it´s very difficult to say which is stronger.
If you sum up their potential damage value (assuming played as first card and all 10 cards are played, every target hits and Griffin witcher gets veil)
AdrenalineGriffin witcherCat witcher
9​
0​
1​
8​
1​
1​
7​
1​
1​
6​
1​
1​
5​
1​
1​
4​
1​
2​
3​
4​
2​
2​
4​
2​
1​
4​
2​
0​
4​
2​
21​
15​

You see that there is more point potential with Griffin witcher.

If you add 1 sentry as second card the analysis looks a bit differently.

AdrenalineGriffin witcherCat witcher + Sentry
9​
0​
1​
8​
1​
2​
7​
1​
2​
6​
1​
2​
5​
1​
2​
4​
1​
3​
3​
4​
3​
2​
4​
3​
1​
4​
3​
0​
4​
3​
21​
24​

If you have no Yrden probably the Sentry is the opponents main goal of removal as there can face so many moving units.

Nevertheless, if I would have to choose between these 2 ones I would consider Griffin witcher to be the stronger. Why?
- Ability to really select your target with Griffin witcher
- More point potential if you manage to veil it
- Cat witcher probably does not always find food on Melee.

The main advantage of Cat witcher is that the whole card is perfectly fitting into the whole move familiy of SC
Your analysis is flawed. Assuming you play out a full ten card round, then a first turn Griffin Witcher that isn't removed will play for a maximum of 9 additional points, not 21; that's definitely less than Cat Witcher. That 21 would require an additional card that was able to give him Veil, so it's not a fair comparison. Also, Cat Witcher is still better even if they played for the same value because it's ability happens at the end of the turn and will keep activating even after you pass.

Regardless, it's likely that both cards will eventually receive nerfs.

Your analysis is flawed. Assuming you play out a full ten card round, then a first turn Griffin Witcher that isn't removed will play for a maximum of 9 additional points, not 21; that's definitely less than Cat Witcher. That 21 would require an additional card that was able to give him Veil, so it's not a fair comparison. Also, Cat Witcher is still better even if they played for the same value because it's ability happens at the end of the turn and will keep activating even after you pass.

Regardless, it's likely that both cards will eventually receive nerfs.

When you play Griffin witcher you usually try to veil him. Otherwise the card is not making much sense.
Cat witchers, however, I saw in various SC decks. You can make the most of this card if you combine him with Sentries. But usually those Sentries are the first target of removal if your opponent plays reactive and has no Yrden punish.

When you play Griffin witcher you usually try to veil him. Otherwise the card is not making much sense.
Cat witchers, however, I saw in various SC decks. You can make the most of this card if you combine him with Sentries. But usually those Sentries are the first target of removal if your opponent plays reactive and has no Yrden punish.
You seem to have missed the point. You were using a 2-card combo to compare with just Cat Witcher. Of course the combo is stronger than the single card. You actually proved nothing.

Top Bottom