One of the most cheap bosses i have seen in my life.

+
One of the most cheap bosses i have seen in my life.

"Iris Von Everec’s Worst Nightmare"

I dont even know where to start... seriously this is the type of boss batle that are so cheap designed that forces you to cheese the entire encounter, the fact that you need an specific build or cheese to beat this boss shows how BAD DESIGNED this battle is.

If you have a sign build DONT BOTHER, go back and reroll to a melee build or to a bomb/archer oriented build (which is garbage but for this battle).

If you are melee you need to parry and counter his shit WHILE abusing of QUEN, an incredible broken sign, even better buff it to the alternate mode so you can heal while being hit... seriously what a joke.

If you are a bomb/crosbow build and have a shit ton of bolts to waste then just go around rolling like a retard and spam your bombs and your crosbow from the distance while they take it.

Now at some point in the battle he will start throwing his "I WIN BUTTON" attacks (which are pretty much the cherry on the cake for a bad designed cheap boss battle, they ALWAYS have one of this), a 1 hit KO attack that has INSANE range and cant be blocked or parried.

Now, since im a sign build and i decided NOT to cheese the game, so i decided to not use "gourmet" cheap or quen alternatives or normal sign (i didnt even have any upgrades in it), IM SCREWED, and i litterally dont have time to deal with this shit so yeah fuck you whoever designed this GARBAGE POOR boss battle, the DLC was amazing so far but this shit RUINED it completely.

Good that i already unlocked the death march achievement because if you want me to cheese this boss battle by using any of the above tactics MAY AS WELL JUST LOWER THE DIFFICULTY TO BABY MODE AND BE DONE WITH TIS CRAP.

---------- Updated at 08:52 PM ----------

There you go, not even 1 minute and all i did was left click your "bad ass" boss to death, it probably feels really good that people dont take your crappy boss seriously, next time use your brain when designing a boss encounter, LOL ¿what do im talking about?, when designing combat and balancing your game ENTRIELY, because if not for the story, the characters, the setting, the graphics AND previous games, you game would be completely trash, gameplay is trash, at least combat, which is like what?, 70% of the game?.

"Iris Von Everec’s Worst Nightmare"

I dont even know where to start... seriously this is the type of boss batle that are so cheap designed that forces you to cheese the entire encounter, the fact that you need an specific build or cheese to beat this boss shows how BAD DESIGNED this battle is.

If you have a sign build DONT BOTHER, go back and reroll to a melee build or to a bomb/archer oriented build (which is garbage but for this battle).

If you are melee you need to parry and counter his shit WHILE abusing of QUEN, an incredible broken sign, even better buff it to the alternate mode so you can heal while being hit... seriously what a joke.

If you are a bomb/crosbow build and have a shit ton of bolts to waste then just go around rolling like a retard and spam your bombs and your crosbow from the distance while they take it.

Now at some point in the battle he will start throwing his "I WIN BUTTON" attacks (which are pretty much the cherry on the cake for a bad designed cheap boss battle, they ALWAYS have one of this), a 1 hit KO attack that has INSANE range and cant be blocked or parried.

Now, since im a sign build and i decided NOT to cheese the game, so i decided to not use "gourmet" cheap or quen alternatives or normal sign (i didnt even have any upgrades in it), IM SCREWED, and i litterally dont have time to deal with this shit so yeah fuck you whoever designed this GARBAGE POOR boss battle, the DLC was amazing so far but this shit RUINED it completely.

Good that i already unlocked the death march achievement because if you want me to cheese this boss battle by using any of the above tactics MAY AS WELL JUST LOWER THE DIFFICULTY TO BABY MODE AND BE DONE WITH TIS CRAP.

---------- Updated at 08:52 PM ----------

There you go, not even 1 minute and all i did was left click your "bad ass" boss to death, it probably feels really good that people dont take your crappy boss seriously, next time use your brain when designing a boss encounter, LOL ¿what do im talking about?, when designing combat and balancing your game ENTRIELY, because if not for the story, the characters, the setting, the graphics AND previous games, you game would be completely trash, gameplay is trash, at least combat, which is like what?, 70% of the game?.

Do you expect C.D.P.R. to respond to your disrespect, or are you just hear to vent your frustrations?

Edit: combat is 70% of the game? Far from the truth. Combat is mostly there as a filler for the impatient; those who can't sit through a game that might force them to use their brain. This is a story game; an R.P.G.. Not Call of Duty.

Last edited:

I don't know what you mean by being forced to "cheese" unless you have a specific build. I wander you are mistaking this game with an "spectacle fighter" like Bayonetta or DMC.

This guy does it great and he heavily relies on signs:

[video=youtube;BRk-SzxLi2Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRk-SzxLi2Q[/video]

My build was mostly and alchemist build and I beat this in the second try without throwing a single bomb. I didn't want to awake the ones sleeping by accident.

There are videos out there of people awaking all the Olgrieds and fight them all together so they get the achievement.

Last edited:
Lol. another person who doesnt seem to know, that there exists these miraculous potions which can instantly reset your skill points for the case that you want to change your build... or just to say rather, someone who completely builded Geralt wrong and tried to make out of him some kind of mage, that he isn't....

The game was never and will be never designed to be played around a full sign build. Signs in this games underwhelming combat system are nothign but just a UTILITY - utility skilsl that should only help you to stay alive. For combat and damagae a witcher uses his freaking SWORDS that are enhanced with oils for the most effective DPS which signet builds will never can compete with, unless you fight a huge monster like a Bies or a gryffin and set them onto burning and watch them die cheesily within seconds, faster can't you kill them, even not with swords, but thats the freaking only exception in this whole game and the absolute most ridiculous way of playign this game trying to fight everythign only with IGNI, because alternate yrden is a joke compared to Igni.

Did the quest just some minutes ago on Death March, defeated all olgierds simultanously, and hekc, it was a good fight, that brought me to my limits and really use my skills. Its not a combat thatas designed for sign builds, unless you choose the cheese way and fight 1 olgierd after another (and miss this way an Achievement, because you get one when you defeat all Olgierds fighting agaisnt you together and defeat them), because when you do it the slow way with one after another, then nobody with a Sign Build should have a problem, you need to care only about not hitting the other Olgierds to awake them.In that case all that matters is positioning and patience for a sign build.

I can agree with the Op, that the combat system of this game surely isn#t the best, due to the character progression system massively lackign also which I absolutely beleive, was caused by CDPR puttign not enough effort into that part of the game, because they obviously put way more effort and ressources as like budget money into all the other important aspects of the game, like voice actions, animations, and such stuff, the cobmat system got sadly the short end of the stick and there they wasted alot of potential. However, that whats there is still solid enough for this game, even if its far away from beging perfect and very creative.

I can understand the frustration of the Op, but just thinking for a few minutes longer would have saved yourself to blamage yourself OP with this post, because you aren#t screwed, the mentioned potion is your easiests instant solution and it costs you in the game just lousy 1000 crowns. Buy it from the master alchemist in Velen for example - Gremist, change your build to an offensive sword build, kick some ass with the boss - done. use another potion and return to your old build if you want - et voila

ridiculous problem solved.

Guest 2364765

I'm running 90% sign build and i only died once or twice during that bossfight (on death march) with appropriate level.
Granted, the fight was much harder than 95% of the fights in the rest of the game (which somehow lacks proportion i guess) but it wasn't gamebreaking or impossible.

Just stay away from the shadows, they don't aggro unless you attack them or get close so you can pick them off one by one. As for the main one, just bait counters, spam quen, nothing new in witcher 3 compat design.

The red attacks can be parried easily and leave you with a window while he's stunned. Quen is not necessary, in fact I barely use it at all, just need to stop using it to see its not that vital.

As to the point that the battle offers different type of challenge depending on the build then I must say it's doing it job. The main idea of different builds is to diversify fights. You're going to have an easier time chugging bombs at a big mass of enemies than a heavy armor build would cutting them one by one, etc.

I don`t really understand where the problem is.... every level 1 Quen block his attacks, so use Quen, strike him with the sword, use Quen, strike him with the sword.

That`s the reason why Quen exist, to storm into battle and have one free hit without taking any damage no matter what the enemy does - to be able to attack the enemy at least one time for sure without dying.
The overkill attack can`t be blocked. Use Quen for this. That`s why Quen exists.

I watched this video a year ago, and knew what I had to do against Olgierd :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1iAHS9dkI

And I am always a magician and use sign build, always. (I only spend 20 points into fast attacks to get the cat school witcher whirl.)
Use Quen, hit him, use Quen, hit him.
It`s easy when you know the trick.
Geralt can swing his sword without even spending 1 XP point into sword combat, Geralt needs exactly 1 XP point in all ability trees to defeat Olgierd - 1 point to Quen.

Last edited:
This kid needs to grow up. If the OP thinks that his opinions are going to be taken seriously when every other sentence is filled with invective and abuse, he's in for a rude awakening. There is a difference between constructive criticism and the inane ramblings of a child.

PS: using emoticons, capslock, and LoL does not make for a more convincing argument.

My build was mostly and alchemist build and I beat this in the second try without throwing a single bomb. I didn't want to awake the ones sleeping by accident.

There are videos out there of people awaking all the Olgrieds and fight them all together so they get the achievement.

Yeah, the Achievement! =))

Ah yes, I remember the raw rage during my first attempt at this boss! Haha, it was pretty frustrating until you work out the counter timings for his attacks. With Ekhidna decoction and Quen, you can just chip away at their HP and the battle is yours. Patience and good dodging is the key here.

Great boss battle, btw - moody, atmospheric and a decent challenge! I have to say HoS had the best boss battles in the game by far!

This was the hardest battle of the game, no doubt... especially if you are going for the achievement. A -lot- harder than anything else, Detlaff included.

Having said that, of -course- a sign build is weak against him. Signs are purely for crowd control on death match, not for damage. If you haven't learned that then you have no business playing death match.

This was the hardest battle of the game, no doubt... especially if you are going for the achievement. A -lot- harder than anything else, Detlaff included.

Having said that, of -course- a sign build is weak against him. Signs are purely for crowd control on death match, not for damage. If you haven't learned that then you have no business playing death match.

Moreover, the trade of a Witcher is his sword skills. Signs and Alchemy are for support, IMHO. Playing Mages is not for a Witcher. Perhaps for Sorceresses in a sequel. Watch all the training since TW1, pirouettes and stuff. And Ciri at the pendulum. Why bother if she could trash it all with Igni or Aard? I'm playing with zero combat skills so far (will have them at some point, later) and the swordplay is still my thing. With signs and alchemy for support.

Not gonna resond to the rudeness, not gonna fuel the fire but;

All the attacks can be parried or dodged and of you want to only use signs for damage ( makes no sesne but hey) you CAN just run around casting alternate Yrden. Also the mutation from Blood and Wine that increases sign damage based on your sword is fantastic.

I got the "When It's Many Against One" achievement in NG+ on DM, without much trouble. My Geralt was a swordsmaster with a few alchemy skills thrown in.

That boss battle is tough, sure, but as the final boss battle in HoS (a DLC that's significantly tougher than the main game) that's to be expected. There's no need to "cheese" the fight if you know how the combat system works - which you should by the time you start HoS. It may take a few deaths to learn the boss's attack patterns and find the best strategy for the battle, but that's hardly unique to this particular boss.

Edit: About my strategy in that NG+ playthrough: I used Northern Wind and Dancing Start (superior versions) and Whirl. I did use Quen, but just the base version of it. I also had the B&W perk "In Combat' Fires", so I didn't have to worry about running into my Dancing Stars' fire. Last but not least, dodging and rolling were key. I don't think I bothered trying to block or counter, because the "Olgierd"s moved so fast.
Axii was also useful IIRC - so a Sign build can definitely beat this boss.

Last edited:
I had problems with this fight in NG+ deathmarch as well. But I had skills all over the place, it was late at night while I was failing, and so my combat reflexes were at a low point. It worked first or second try the next evening.

Didn't even try yet to get the achievement. I currently tend to drop HoS after I played all the gwent. I like that scar thing for some reasons (and I probably dread the bosses in that mission, yeah...). Traveling to BaW took precedence over "finish HoS!" the last 2 playthroughs. And once in BaW, I lack the motivation to return to Velen/Novigrad.

Even on "Story & Sword" and being ridiculously overleveled, this fight was a tough one. It's ok when you only wake up one Olgierd at a time - that worked fine the first time around. However, since my Geralt decided to die the instant I wanted to leave the von Everec estate (he just dropped dead and I still don't know why), I had to repeat that fight. Accidentally, I woke I think three Olgierds which resulted in Geralt's death. Managed to get out alive the third time, didn't use any bombs but probably Yrden and/or Quen (really can't remember, it was late at night when I did this fight so it's a small miracle that I managed to get through at all) and I think I still had spectre oil on the silver blade from the fight before (Wraith from the painting). Also, I think I used the Ekhidna decoction but not entirely sure of that.

Being ridiculously overleveled with an active mutation (something with bloodshed - deals a lot of damage to the opponent) helped a lot but if I had woken all Olgierds, I wouldn't have made it. So... it's not an easy fight but most fights in HoS are more difficult and more challenging than those in the base game.

During my first HoS playthrough I had tons of trouble with all of the bosses in "Scenes from a Marriage". Iris' Worst Nightmare was in fact the least difficult of them. I was playing on Story and Sword with a "build" that had skills from reds, blues and yellows - but with all green mutagens (because I hadn't quite grasped the system).

If I had to choose between fighting the Olgierds (either one at a time or all at the same time), and a pack of Arachnomorphs, I'd choose the former in a heartbeat. :p

1) You don't have to get the achievement on Dearth March.
2) Don't fight all of them at the same time.

I used a alchy/sign build the first time I encountered this. I died because I awoke more groups. When it got through my thick skull that I can go far away and only fight the ones that are active it allowed me to win. Yea with a sign build you run away a lot of the time. But that is what a sign build does.

Was the OP trying to set a record for one of the worst posts ever?

Top Bottom