Op Ed: Cyberpunk 2077 & Tarot Cards - Remarkably Accurate

+
I have been reading tarot cards professionally for about 20 years. At this point, have read over 1,000 clients and I have been interview by the History Channel and several radio/internet shows over the years because of that. I say this not to pat myself on the back but give you some context that I (probably) know what I am talking about on this level. ;)

All that said, I have not seen anyone really talk about the amazing depth and mostly accurate portrayal of Tarot in the game. So I felt a in-depth analysis was in order. As overlooking this was a grave injustice to the developers who clearly put a LOT of thought and effect in the correct associations and its accuracy.

Now first, a little background on Tarot as speaking of context, without it some of the details I will talk about may be confusing to you.

A few quick historical points on Tarot;
  • Origins of the word “Tarot” under historical debate, either Italian or Arabic based
  • First mention of Tarot as a card game in the 14th century, Believed entered Europe via Egypt
  • First documents mentioning tarot is a ban in Switzerland in 1367
  • Started out as art/education and card games most notable in and around Italy.
  • First recorded use of tarot as divination in a book was 1540
  • Carl Jung first Psychologist to attach importance of symbolism as it represented human archetypes
  • Psychologist Timothy Leary also suggests Major Arcana represents via archetypes human development/journey from birth (Fool) to death (Death) to ones final spiritual journey (The World).
  • Modern Tarot has a direct associations & links to astrology, Kabballah, ceremonial magick concepts, elemental concepts and numerology (we will mainly be focusing on the astrology links for simplicity).
  • Some cards simply do not have a outright positive meaning, just as some, symbolically, do not have a outright negative meaning.
  • Lastly, the cards in the game are the Major Arcana of 22 cards, a full tarot deck is 78 cards which also include a Minor Arcana, 4 suits, Ace to 10 and court cards. Yes, very similar to today's deck of poker cards, they are cousins. Since the Minors are not in the game we won't talk about them further.
Now this article would be massive if I posted about all 22 cards, so I am going to pick a handful that I feel are some of the most interesting. If you want to dig deeper in others feel free to ask in the comments.

Now we got all that context out of the way lets first address the card right outside of your apartment. It is, frankly, the most on the nose card there is. The first card in the Major Arcana, The Fool. Traditionally the fool is represented by a youth blissfully walking toward a cliff, not looking ahead but up to the sky. A knapsack over his shoulder, while a puppy follows him underfoot. Usually holding a flower (rose).

All the cards in the game are near people or locations that are associated with it. And here The Fool is V. The Fool represents beginnings, journey, folly, free spirit, extravagance, youth, new outlook but on the flip side carelessness, ignorance, apathy, fear of the unknown, being naïve, chaos. A perfect representation, and foreshadowing, of where V is heading as he, like the youth on the card is unknowingly heading towards the cliff. The cliff represents symbolic leap into the unfamiliar or esoteric both of which V will encounter on his journey.

Lastly, The Fool also represents the ultimate “Greater Fool”; perfect blend of self delusion and ego to think he can succeed where others have failed. If that does not represent V after the heist job then I am not sure what does. A person told he has a figurative bomb in his head and he simply picks himself up convinced, irrelevant of the facts, he is going to find a way to overcome this apparent no-win death sentence scenario.

Next let's look at the Strength Card, and Panam. As the card is right next to her when you first meet her, clearly associating her with it. Which you will see is very appropriate.

The Strength card is traditionally represented by a maiden with a flowered wreath upon her head, holding open the mouth of a lion. The maiden representing ones higher self (intellect, understanding, spirituality) overcoming, and accepting ones lower self/the lion (carnal desires, wants, giving in to vices). as a whole the card represents power, courage, success, kindness, compassion, libido, healing and on the flip side weakness, discord, abuse of power, disgrace, cowardice, self made obstacles/opposition.

Now the card is rarely about raw, physical strength but inner strength on some level. Also astrologically speaking, the Leo is associated with this card. Putting all that together I feel it is safe to say not only does Panam clearly represent many of these traits but due to her personality she is a Leo, as she fits it characteristic wise almost text book. Her simmering anger just under the surface ready to boil over, her protectiveness of her family and those she cares about or loves, her being very well educated, tactical thinker, self sacrificially brave, once you get past her wall a very sensual, sexual person and she can be, at times, her own worst enemy due to her aforementioned temper. All traits of the card (or/and a Leo) to a T as I described above.

This card also eludes to the possible romance between V and Panam. The flowers on the maidens head is a symbol in alchemy representing male/female union.

This is, after the Fool, one of the most on the nose card associations in my view.

Full article at the link in my sig, thanks for reading.

Any thoughts about the appearance of The Devil Card being very unique than the rest of the tarot cards?
Also, what cards do you think that represent Misty & Jackie?

Thank you for the explanation. My knowledge about Tarot is far from good, but I was really impressed that they involved them in the game, and actually Misty's message in the ending that I choose really lifted my spirit .

Last edited:

lynxir

Forum regular
Very interesting topic, just reading the full article. Something I noticed though: The Moon card isn't at the drive-in cinema, it's at the Arasaka safehouse where Hanako is hold in the Devil-ending, left from the front gate. The Lovers is the one at the cinema! But your analysis is very fitting for the Arasaka family as a whole or even the relationship between Hanako and V, I think.

Edit: Oh, I see that was already brought to your attention, sorry!

I would personally love to read your take on The Empress - I've got a feeling that it is heavily connected to Rogue being there in the Afterlife. And is The Hanged Man connected to Johnny's path?

Last edited:
Hey,
just a quick thought:

The quest from Misty guides you to collect all 20 cards + maybe both the devil and the good one(sun?).
But as the cards represent different paths in the story with different characters and consequences, you would be quite a Fool to try to collect them all, wouldn't you? :smart:

Btw, this was exactly what I was doing for like 5+hours :D Just riding the map to collect all of them. Kinda Foolish, isn't it?

So, maybe you should collect just the ones you get to by playing the game naturally?

Last edited:
I read tarot too. I always get my card read from misty, just to see the results, and it works, although the way she reads in the game is quite general, though, duh, its reading via preset answers. but if u understand it, the cards in cp2077still do apply while during gameplay. Also, if actually find the art drawings at random time during the game it does tell u a story to what ur doing or what ur seeking for. cue twilight zone music.

I would personally love to read your take on The Empress - I've got a feeling that it is heavily connected to Rogue being there in the Afterlife. And is The Hanged Man connected to Johnny's path?

the cards are multivalent, can point to what you're saying but may also mean another. eg, hang man can also mean looking at things in a different perspective, like outside the box thinking or a different angle.

Btw, this was exactly what I was doing for like 5+hours :D Just riding the map to collect all of them. Kinda Foolish, isn't it?

So, maybe you should collect just the ones you get to by playing the game naturally?

fool card doesnt necesarrily point to be being a fool. yeah, i pick them when i feel like or when i'm just happen to be l close to it, seems to always give me a good suprise. its more fun that way.

great they implemented this wish they could expand more on this side of the game.

Last edited:

It's about time for a thread on the tarot cards and their meanings and with who or what they are connected.

What I haven't noticed before is that the Magician card actually very well fits to Judy, her role in the story, her personality, her skills and the location where you find the tarot. Thanks for that input!

My question would be: after you choose Panam's help in Nocturne you are waiting for her to pick you up. Misty offers to draw the cards for you and as a male V that has romanced Panam I'll get the Fool (me/V), the Lovers (Panam/V), the Moon (Johnny's destiny) and the upside-down Magician. V will connect the upside-down Magician with Johnny, because of indications addictions and mental issues. What does female V with a romanced Judy say at that moment? Is the Magician card upside-down, too?

Any thoughts about the appearance of The Devil Card being very unique than the rest of the tarot cards?
Also, what cards do you think that represent Misty & Jackie?
I am not sure what you mean by "very unique than the rest of the tarot cards?" could you clarify?

As for Jackie, the Sun card is near him when he finally drops you off after your first mission to rescue Sandra. I feel this is without a doubt the card associated for Jackie. The Sun card is arguably the most positive card in the entire tarot deck of 78 cards. In fact many tarot teachers such as myself will tell students the Sun card shines light on all the other cards in the reading, adding to the positive, and lessening (but not removing) the negative. It has no literal negative associations. Also astrologically speaking The Sun is associated with the sun (big surprise), which is linked to Leo. So all the things I said about Panam apply here. A loyal man who protects those he cares for, full of charisma and a extrovert, a ladies man and proud.

As for Misty, the roof she takes you to has the World card on it. The last of the Major Arcana cards. Card is associated with Saturn which is associated with Capricorn. Now one can easily make the argument the world card is all about pointing to V's final steps in his journey and not about Misty. And while I see that and won't disagree outright I think they can be both. As that is the closest tarot to her. While Capricorn, an earth sign, wouldn't have been my first guess (an air sign like a Aquarius or Pisces, a water sign, would have been my assumptions for her), I can't say it is totally out of whack for her character. She can be a laid back Earth sign. In this case she would share the same general traits as the Virgo I mentioned in the article as they are both earth signs.

If I do a part 2 I will go more in depth to those characters but those are my general take aways.
Post automatically merged:

It certainly is relating to Rogue. In a nutshell it is a card of motherhood (foreshadowing her convo with her son if you do the johnny raid ending), truth coming to light and one who can be overbearing and finding wisdom. All events that play into your story with Rogue or specifics about Rogue herself. The card is associated with Venus that astrology wise is a planet linked to Libra and Taurus. I think a argument can be made that Rogue could be either one of these but if pressed I'd go with Libra. Libra an air sign is all about freedom but quick to change, air personalities tend to be kind, intellectual, communicative, social, helpful. Also Cold, superficial, impractical and insensitive. Many of those apply to Rogue.

Last edited:

Guest 4412420

Thanks for the thread! Very interesting to read how the tarot applies to the game from someone who's knowledgeable about it.
As for Jackie, the Sun card is near him when he finally drops you off after your first mission to rescue Sandra. I feel this is without a doubt the card associated for Jackie.
It's interesting how the cards can apply to both characters and story relevant locations at the same time, because the Sun card can be found near V's fancy apartment from The Sun ending.

Thanks for the thread! Very interesting to read how the tarot applies to the game from someone who's knowledgeable about it.

It's interesting how the cards can apply to both characters and story relevant locations at the same time, because the Sun card can be found near V's fancy apartment from The Sun ending.

That is one of the things, I feel they got wrong. I feel the Sun and Star ending should be reversed. As the star should be called the sun ending and vise versa.

While Capricorn, an earth sign, wouldn't have been my first guess (an air sign like a Aquarius or Pisces, a water sign, would have been my assumptions for her), I can't say it is totally out of whack for her character. She can be a laid back Earth sign.

"laid back earth sign", i like that, first time i heard it. virgo the mutable earth, i agree with it, id say that too about misty. she has the emotional loving capability of water plus the earthy and a kind of nurture-stable-kind-of-person-ish of earth.

You have done an awesome job pointing the cards out, including their elements, accordingly to the characters. It all is seems quite accurately correlated and i wouldnt have had the time on looking into this. i wonder if CDPR knew the significance of it upon each section of the game also, and not just the characters. Obvious example is that the world card could also point towards ending of the game. 1 returning to 0. And with the fool card, my first thought was, well great! the begining of the journey of course! here we go, now lets step over the edge of this... aaaah!

Lovers at the drive in movie, not too sure about this one. on front value yeah sure lovers romp right? but i actually thought your description of the moon was better suited for the overall picture of jhonny and rogue. Lovers is more suited for johnny with alt. and if we take a look deeper into the lovers card on the kaballah tree (excuse the upcoming jargons), the lovers card - no 6 of the major cards, its assigned to the crossing for binah- understanding to tipareth - beauty. albeit hard to match this with the drive-in scene. maybe the supernal triad would correlate, as jhonny is not physical, connection of immaterial to material. a bit far from the answer though. some more gemini is assigned to the lovers card -, if u googled quickly traits of gemini you'll see what how its a hard fit. an air element this gemini as well, but laid back. unless we use thoths atu XI instead then its more straightforward, but looks like they're using a e waite order of cards. otherwise, if you dont read deep into the cards, then yeah lovers card will-kinda-suit the situation. The turbulence of the moon card will suit better.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by "very unique than the rest of the tarot cards?" could you clarify?

about the devil card being very unique. It's exclusive to Devil ending & player will not "find" it but instead being shown through a direct cutscene. It can also be said, it's unmissable with its certain path/ending. It's appeared very briefly & V is in total distraught by it. Here's the scene that I am talking about:
Devil Tarot Card scene

about the devil card being very unique. It's exclusive to Devil ending & player will not "find" it but instead being shown through a direct cutscene. It can also be said, it's unmissable with its certain path/ending. It's appeared very briefly & V is in total distraught by it. Here's the scene that I am talking about:
Devil Tarot Card scene

I honestly don't think there is an real significance to the why you find the card aside from an on fun, on the nose look at the card with this ending kind of thing by the designers. The devil card no matter how you come across it still applies from the symbolic meaning.

That said I feel they got the cards for the endings wrong. In my view, this would have been the correct order;

sun ending rename star ending. while yes the star symbolically can be about hope and bright prospects. I feel the negative traits is far more closer resmeble the "sun" ending. Arrogance, loss, disappointment. All things you under go if you decide to be the legend of the city. You lose your lover, via arrogance and in the end still not happy, disappointed so you go for one more score. As the chase becomes far more important to you in your last few months then the destination. Blinded by your ambition.

Thus why the Star card is closer to this ending then Sun. Side note one could also retcon this to be the devil ending. As the devil is all about giving into your desires and vices and worse traits. And here to be the legend that is you. Your status more important then those that love you, or any thing else. Tossing it all away for some status that means little in the big picture. Not much different then a junkie doing the same for his next fix.

Then the star ended renamed the sun, as I talked about the sun card in detail when it comes to Panam so I shouldn't need to explain why the ending with the nomads is much closer to the sun card then star. As the sun is hope like the star but also far more positive for the best potential outcome.

The devil you can leave it as the devil ending, not totally off IMO, one could however see this being associated with the death card or judgement. I'll go into those in depth at a later time, but suffice to say either of those 2 cards links to the ending a bit better. And just to make something clear, the death card in tarot is RARELY about literal death, it 98% of the time talks about figurative death, the ending of one aspect of you life but then that opens a new door as a result.

The suicide ending, I would name that the tower ending.

Top Bottom