Open Beta General Feedback Thread

+
Love the game so far; some thoughts:

Monsters are OP.

Some necessary cards (decoy, ciri) are unlocked too late.

As of now, I didn't really enjoy playing it, the OB so far seemed more unbalanced than CB, also i was a big fan of NR and those were done completely different. SK and NG play simmilar but are also different, it feels like the reveal deck has been killed off. ST looks pretty much the same except you cant spawn a lot of neophytes anymore and the Ambushes are less frequent.
Monsters seem hillariously underpowered. I lost one game of like 20ish i played since OB to monsters so far and that only because my opponent got 4 gold cards in round 3 and i had virtually nothing with cleaver, zoltan, clear skies and rot tosser.

I might come back in a couple of months when the game is more thought through and balanced. I get the point of testing a beta, but now this is just painful and i don't enjoy pain at all.

EDIT:
Card descriptions need a lot of clarification, you never really know to which cards you can apply certain effects, in CB that was better. (Use on Bronze only, use on non-Gold ... you get my meaning) For example cards like Cleaver, i understand he works the same as in CB but more clarification wouldn't kill anyone.
Also Reaver Scouts: "Summon a Copy of an Ally" is simply the wrong effect, you don't summon a copy of some ally, you summon a bronze ally from your Deck.

IMO too many cards can be played anywhere, this effect should be restricted to buff effect cards only like "redanian knight elect" or "clan heymaey skalde"
Philllippa Eilhart is somewhat OP and should work the same as Harald the Cripple instead.
The removal of faction specific effects is also troublesome since effectively, skellige are the only faction who haven't lost their effect but with some sort of compensation and the game plays kinda bland. Nothing to expect like with monsters or the tactics STs effect could open.
The redraw on NG was pretty much the only upside on NG, now feels just mediocre with some very very evil combos like Peter Saar Gwynleve + decoy, + Emhyr + cahir = bash 4 enemies.
NR has gotten insanely powerful if you know how to play it, the combos with reavers and redanian elites and RFed Trebuchets are super annoying.

Last edited:
Saw a couple of threads about weather so decided to post my thoughts here instead. I really love how weather is now. Before it was insanely volatile and having the last card being weather would win you games. Now weather needs to be developed on the board and plays into the game much better and more smoothly. The same rules still apply, if you can´t answer weather youre screwed but it´s so much more interesting now. If I suspect my opponent is running multiple weathercards I can try to bait them out so i can clear them or play around them if I can´t and it makes me think about weather in the game in a much better way than before. Maybee some weather effects are a bit strong but I would rather have it this way than to have it weaker or nerfed and not be a part of the game. Weatherdecks tend to have low power on their units so they need to use it for control and I´ve found it to be a pleasant experience to play with as well as against. Seems to me that a lot of people are getting demolished by weather but aren´t running anything in their decks to remove it. Big shoutout to the new mages that gives choice and versatillity in wich spells they spawn. Really love them (and they probably should have been starters just because they offer so much interest in choices and gameplay).

Other random thoughts:

Nilfgard is really strong and some of their cards should probably be looked at. I´m holding off on crafting premium Auckes untill I see the next balance patch. The Guardian is another card that I find extremely unfun. If I could have it my way I would rework his ability because it´s really strong messing with your opponents draws that way.

Northern Realms probably needs a second look in general. Somehow I feel like their identity got lost more than they gained a new one. Might be people need time to figure them out but from my own experience when building decks with them I just end up scratching my head and then playing somethign else.

And for the love of God, when my opponent muligans let me see my cards instead of staring at a black tinted screen.

I´m really enjoying Open Beta thus far and despite balance being a bit wild and all over the place I feel like the game is a lot more fun and interesting than before. Much love!

Last edited:
Hello Gwent design team,
In hopes that you do care about feedback and you take in consideration every voice that took time to evaluate your game, it's time to do my duty as a tester and give you my opinion. Speaking of which, thank you for giving me a key so fast, I played as much as possible and I loved several mechanics.

Since I liked most of the features of the game, I'll only mention the things I didn't like ( pre patch ) :
-The wording. In a few cards, the wording was so unclear, so incoherent that I was just waiting to see it in play in order to understand what the author meant ( e.g. old Cahir, whose by the way "If Nilfgaard" new part of text is still confusing to me - and yes, I'm not native English speaker, but I never had such a problem in a vast amount of cardgames I've played ) .

-The polarization. With the experience I have acquired from other cardgames, there's nothing that I evaluate more than a) card advantage b) opponent's hand vision. As a result I immediately felt in love with Emhyr Var Emreis, I disenchanted every card from all other factions in order to build a dream deck resolved around Emhyr ( something very wrong for a tester, but I had but a few days before the end of closed beta ) and I realized that although the game is not even in open beta, there are the "Strong" Leaders/cards and the "Crappy" ones. Wait. Having 10+ factions and expecting all of them to be strong is insane, yes. The problem is' you can't have one's Leader ability : i) reveal cards ( adding potentially 9+STR to cards in deck/hand ) while others spawn instantly 16 or 11STR raw force where in the last case will most likely stay in battlefield in the next turn, or ii) redrawing cards, which i found even more useless in my opponents etc.
I was also very frustrated with the resurrection theme ( I swear, if I hear again < You'll sweat like a swine in that jacket > again, adding so much value on board, I'd go berserk.

That being said, I am very happy to see that all the last part is now history since with the latest patch you seem to changed.... a LOT.
After trying to login yesterday to play some Gwent, i found myself numb with the classic expression of "What the F@^% happened here" .
Of course I liked the fact that many cards were changed. As a gamer/tester/consumer it gives me the idea that -even though you worked your A$$ES OFF- you don't intend to keep your product if it needs -major- rework. Kudos.
But to be honest, that was toooo much.
Every card that hadn't minor number modification was completely reworked and got several keywords added. As a result, I'm trying to do the challenges to catch up and I'm feeling my head about to explode. When that keyword triggers, why that card didn't trigger, why I -still- can't cancel a card I clicked by accident but it's not triggered yet, why I can't watch that keyword if it's in my opponent's graveyard, WHERE'S THAT DAMN ALGEBRA BOOK !(?)
Complexity is a factor that, indeed, keeps a gamer while stimulates his creativity and thinking, but for a recent game, that is -in my opinion- a brain abuse.
Gwent prepatch was interesting to me because it was so easy to learn and yet had depth; why,where and WHEN you played every card in longterm value. The only thing I was expecting was to see a rework/balance in some nasty combos and easy-to-place brute force cards.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my huge post, I hope I was on point and didn't repeat what others may have already mentioned. As for the feedback of other players, I'll start digging the posts to see if I'm the only one nagging about the new complexity or not.

P.S. I would be happy to answer any question addressed to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's but one punishment for traitors.
~Emhyr Van Emreis.

Here are more random thoughts after playing more:

I can see every piece of info about my progress except the XP points which to see, I still have to finish a match. Could CDPR please make a point of putting that info in the Rewards section, too?

The Ballistas and Trebuchets do not stand a chance of staying on the board with 2 and 3 base strength. They are zapped out by many SC and SK cards that come in dealing 2 or 3 damage (and Quen works only if it is drawn.) Since the machines get zapped out of the way quickly, K. Siege Platforms become useless.

The Ballistas and Trebuchets deal too little damage when played on a single card. I think they would be much more effective and preferred if they had a higher damage when aimed at a single card.

Triss Merrigold is a shame for a gold card. Even Alzur’s Thunder is more dangerous. I think it needs to be reworked into better value or it will be forgotten as soon as better gold cards (and future new gold cards) start appearing in decks.

And I think this one is technical: When a mullligan ends, the screen switches to the game screen immediately without showing the (last) card drawn. Obviously not a problem in the third round, but in the second and especially in the first it is annoying to have to figure out the last drawn card myself. This should be fixed at least for sake of clarity if nothing else. (I better report this to tech issues, too.)

Guest 4119220

4RM3D;n8624170 said:
Gwent is not a single player game, unless you only want to play against the AI and play the campaign when it's released.
That is exactly what I want from a card game. I have 0 interest in multiplayer. What a rip off, regretting spending money on this.

ionko22;n8676160 said:
What a rip off, regretting spending money on this.

It's not a rip off. The devs didn't hide anything. From the get go it was stated that Gwent would be an online collectible card game. The single player aspect only plays a minor role.

Gwent was funnier while closed Beta!?

I think that the Game was more fun during closed Beta.

I miss the Faction abilities and also the weather effects.
i think the Faction abilities should be added again, they added diversity to the decks and Factions. Also more Balance.
Checkout the current Leaderboard. Sure the Meta havent stablised.
But i still think it was more Fun before....

What do other People think avout this? Please respond :)

After my first play session (just playing through some of the challenges to get an idea of things) I have one bugbear: Playing a card with targeted effects and realising that the only valid target is my own unit and having no way to take back the decision. This seems overly harsh on those trying to learn the game or just those who make a misclick. I can't think of a reason to deny this small QoL improvement. As mentioned above Hearthstone does just this which works perfectly.

This public beta is totally unbalanced ...

The freak of monsters is ridiculous now .. nilfgard OP with mass kill .. with spy .. force 1 xD and kill all moster with same power .. monsters faction have all the same fucking force .. 6 - 5 - 3

The faction trailer says the monstrous faction can summon more monster cards .. sure skellige best .. resurrection increases damage from the cemetery and booom win eazy ..

I will not play gwent as long as there are no (huge) steps for balancing.

The game is a race to those who destroy more monsters .. embarrassing

I repeat the monster faction is completely broken, just reliance on the weather, but just take precautions and lose it, no matter what bunch you are playing. .. wild hunt rider .. is a good unit but totally broken ... many cards can destroy them all 3 at the cost of 1 .... this is fucking unbalanced.

sorry for eng

You want suggestions?

CDPR are great, I rate their Witcher series amongst the best of all time and this is coming from a old time gamer who loves RPGs and have played all the classics amongst them. But, I can not understand, how such a big, talented and creative team could still keep these obnoxious unbalances in the game. NG and SC special everywhere, ruining the game experience.
Here is my suggestion - nerf them, balance the game, not a cent coming in your way until you fix it.
I might even stop playing it.
I am not giving a specific suggestion because I am sure you have the resources and knowledge how to do it, but you are slow, the game is practically released and my friends started refusing playing with me, cause they abandoned it after the first 12456678 matches against frustrating NG - "I have everything to counter you and frustrate you" or ST - "look, you play I just watch and spam specials how interactive, heh?".
I still have faith in you about this game, but it's quickly fading away, do something because I would like to play it, but not in this state.
Thank you.

Denroth;n8783350 said:
I repeat the monster faction is completely broken, just reliance on the weather, but just take precautions and lose it, no matter what bunch you are playing. .. wild hunt rider .. is a good unit but totally broken ... many cards can destroy them all 3 at the cost of 1 .... this is fucking unbalanced.
Many? I'd say scorch (if there is nothing above 6 on board that is) and GIgni. In both case you may want to avoid being greedy and align them to trigger the trio. Put them on separate lanes and keep "just" the 18, instead of going full greed and then crying because your precious trio got burned.

Tl;dr git good

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this - a quick search didn't find anything - but I HATE the deckbuilder / collection browser UI.

* The vast majority of the screen real estate is spent on displaying what is currently IN the deck, whilst what I'm trying to do is find new cards to ADD TO the deck, which are cramped in a tiny scrolling strip along the bottom.

* The cards just have images which makes it hard to find an unfamiliar card and harder for a new player to learn what the cards are.

* The filter doesn't let you add cards to the deck whilst the filter is open. Unless I'm missing something, you have to click into the filter, type the card name, close the filter, add the card to the deck, open the filter, type the next card, etc. which is just stupid. What I want to do is:
1. Type in the name of the card I want to add to my deck
2. Press return or click once to add it to the deck
3. Type the name of the next card.

* There's no easy way of toggling whether you want to view neutral or faction cards in the deck builder, apart from going into the filter.

* The display seems obsessed with categorising cards into Melee / Ranged / Siege / Event. I couldn't give less of a shit whether a card is siege or melee. Most of the ones that matter seem to be flexible and all end up dumped in the melee row anyway, and when I'm looking for a card I don't think "Oh, I want to add a siege unit now" because being siege isn't a useful category, you could happily build a functional deck with no siege at all. The display categorization that would be useful for cards in the deck is gold/silver/bronze, because that's what the deckbuilding limits apply to. The weird toggle/filter thing below the main deck display could be melee / ranged / siege / event, if you had to have it somewhere.

* The deck display shows duplicates of the same card separately, which is an irritating waste of space.

In the collection manager there are most of the same problems (especially again there's zero text, so I can't identify new cards by name), plus...

* Premium card display is on by default, which means you fit half as many cards per page.

* There seems to be weird art variants which are listed separately. So I've got SIX entries for "Wild Hunt Rider" to scroll past, when one would be more than enough.

* The Owned / Not Owned / New filter is hidden back in the Filters section when it should be immediately accessible. It should default to New if there are new cards, and Owned otherwise.

* The "Color" and "Rarity" filters are basically redundant because they duplicate each other, plus the text filter should catch keywords like "New" and "Epic" and "Silver" anyway so you don't need buttons for them.

* I can't find a way of clearing the "New" flag without hovering over every single card.

* Filter settings aren't even remembered when I leave the collection manager and go back again.

* There's no quick way to get from one to the other. Suppose I want to try a new deck, and I'm not certain I have all the cards for it. I guess I COULD check them all one at a time in the collection manager and then go into the deck builder and create the deck, but what any normal human would do is start building the deck, get to a card you're missing, and then then "Oh, I need to craft this". At this point, I have to save and exit the deck builder (loading screen), and then click into the collection manager (loading screen), and then open the filter, and then type in the card name, and then click on and craft the card (hey, at least you're allowed to craft with the filter open!), and then close the collection manager (loading screen) and then click on the deck builder (loading screen) and then re-select my deck (loading screen) and then open the filter and type the card name and close the filter and then add the card to my deck and THEN I can move on to looking for the next card. This is insanely bad.

Last edited:
I dont know how new players can like this game but i can imagine they all are playing nilfgaard. There are like in all other previous patches not that much decks viable. Playing agains 90% NG and 10% SK is not that fun.
There are some gold cards like gaunter odim for example that are rly bad. And there are golds which ones will be picked in all games cause there are too strong --> Ciri, Tibor, Igni, Ithlinne. Why should some1 pick another golds if they have these ?
All in all i like the new changes much :victory: and im waiting for a new pach which can improve the balance.

I know that the balance is the hardest part of the development and i dont need to talk about the new Nilfgaard and how op this faction actually is

I really think I gave this game a chance but it's just too damn difficult for me to keep bothering. I cant figure out how to make the cards do what I think they are supposed to du and I get crapped on in almost every multiplayer game. This need a much better tutorial - like how the hell do you use an ambush card? Why wont the wild hunt summoner dude with 3 power summon other cards like the tekst says? And how do you find out what the weather effects do if you dont remember? The learning curve is so high that I frankly dont even wanna bother anymore - the other day I was stuck on a single player challenge that apparently cant be defeated with ScoaTil or whatever they are called.

Also, it suffers from the same problem as Hearthstone - even though it on paper is free to play, you will need to pay not only what equals to the price of another tripple A release but infinate more if you want to have a full card collection - sure you can sort of pick every 5th card but only from a selction of 3 random cards - you should be able to pick any card from the entire set and that would still cost you way more than any normal game to buy the full set.

I was looking forward to trying something new - I loved playing The Witcher and thought this game would be great too but I guess I'll stay with Hearthstone for now.

DMaster2;n8785470 said:
Many? I'd say scorch (if there is nothing above 6 on board that is) and GIgni. In both case you may want to avoid being greedy and align them to trigger the trio. Put them on separate lanes and keep "just" the 18, instead of going full greed and then crying because your precious trio got burned.

Tl;dr git good

Wow that wonderful idea .. so basically, you can not use the raider's ability because it's risky ... xD

Wild Hunt riders: the first Gwent cards where it is counterproductive to activate its ability ... I think it's a balanced one no? xD
It was too hard to put their strength 5 - 6 -7 instead of 6-6-6 (same argument of the megère)

Not going to reiterate what's been said countless times

Love love love the game. Love that you guys made some huge changes, it's made the game interesting. But now we are hitting a wall in terms of the meta and some more extreme changes are required.
I have every confidence in CDPR. Look forward to seeing what happens next but whatever happens, it's clear some massive balancing is required.

Moridin2244;n8620310 said:
I have a feeling that once people get all the key cards for their decks things will start to sort out. Right now we're in the wild west of the game, which to be honest is a lot of fun. However it isn't really conducive to understanding the meta and where the game is going. For example my Monster Deck feels really powerful right now because I have most of my key cards in place, getting the three Crones for example is a huge boon to my Win/Loss.

That said I'm think a few weather cards RNR, SkelStorm, and Drought are REALLY powerful and weather itself seems to easy to play. Especially with Monsters.

Nah man. Wild west was weeks ago. Where have you been? The meta has settled now and everyone knows what works and what doesn't It's a bit "if you can't beat em, join em" right now. Not much will change now until some balance changes are made.

The wild west part a few weeks ago was fun. But that honeymoon was over pretty fast. I'm surprised your post isn't from back then actually as when I read it, I thought wtf? You are a bit out of touch tbh, no offence.

Last edited:
Denroth;n8804920 said:
Wow that wonderful idea .. so basically, you can not use the raider's ability because it's risky ... xD

Wild Hunt riders: the first Gwent cards where it is counterproductive to activate its ability ... I think it's a balanced one no? xD
It was too hard to put their strength 5 - 6 -7 instead of 6-6-6 (same argument of the megère)
It's called high risk/high reward play. Basically you have to decide if it's worth risking to lose everything to get more points. It's part of the "git good" learning process. If you lose your bet and get destroyed, you can only blame yourself.

To the devs concerning Free to Play model:

(First off, thanks for a great game!)

How free to play games make their money is a very hot issue to me. I've played Hearthstone for over a year now, and I've been extremely disappointing with its rewards and crafting costs. Over the seasons I have very rarely been able to maintain tier 1 decks and arena costs are a pain. I have not spent a single dollar in that economy, it feels worthless and sleazy.

I've played Gwent steadily for a little more than a week now, and I've got to say the steady rewards feel generous and fun. I've been able to craft two legendariers and I feel I have a close to tier 1 deck and a couple of fun side-decks. Don't change this, please!

I've just made my first purchase in this game (15 barrels). I did it because I did not feel forced to and I want your model to succeed - it seems fair. (Same reason I've spent money in Path of Exile).

I REPEAT: The only reason I am spending money in this game is because I love it, and don't feel like I HAVE to spend money to play - Don't change this!

Top Bottom