Open Beta General Feedback Thread

+
NatoGreavesy;n8608520 said:
In all honesty, I have to disagree with the points you've made.

CDPR -did- get these ideas from us players. People have been complaining about these things for months now - Monster's unfair advantage with weather, NR's overpowered promotion mechanic, and so on - and the changes in the public beta have finally dealt with a lot of those problems. As someone who mainly used NR throughout closed beta, I feel like the faction is a lot more balanced now than it was then.

Just because something is different, doesn't mean it's "nonsense" or "stupid". It's a new beta, and a new game, and I think it would probably be in everyone's best interests to give it a few days to get off the ground before devoting a topic to wantonly insulting it. At the very least, offer some constructive criticisms instead of just ridiculing the developers.

IMHO some changes were good some bad.
Yes, finally we dont play same 3 decks all over again, but here are changes I dont like:

weather - this should affect both sides. It was nice that there was some sort of trade off when playing weather card. Now it's just a Lacerate with damage over time effect. dot effect is okay, but affecting one side only is not.

agile units - what's the point of rows when almost every second unit can spawn wherever it wants. Agile units are fine, but there is way too much of them now.

very little faction differences - every faction seems to play the same way now. You can basically play anything and adapt to anything. While not a bad idea, it kinda defeats the purpose of playing certain factions. All I'm, missing now are devourer NR cards and ambush monsters. It used to be possible to predict opponents tactics by the faction he plays. Now they can basically pull out anything. Again, it's fine taht its promoting deck building diversity, but if I want to play "resurrection whore deck", I can do it with any faction now.

some cards are super difficult to understand what they actually do - we have cards "do x damage to enemy" and then we have cards like "do x damage to adjecent enemies, if they are armored and there is fog in different row, and opponent didnt pass or played leader, summon bronze unit from the deck you played an hour ago and spawn 2 copies of bronze unit, however if there is no fog but rain instead, add 7 armor to every second bronze unit in your hand and resurrect card from opponents graveyard and immediately weaken it by 3 and discard 2 cards."

Personally , think Open seems to better than closed...

I am not sure how it becomes less tactical since 'agilization' of most units is technically adding more tactical depth.

Ragnorak and Drought seems OP...with Decree alongside, that's will be some mean damage ...wonder why bother with weather ?

Bit disappointed with the MO nerfing (never played much NR in CB)

must have played close to 50-60 matches this far and only observation seems to be a distinct shortage of ST decks (was quite happy that ambush interaction)

One suggestion is to prevent 1 strength units (spawns and like ) getting affected by Bears etc...the one strength eggs/dudu don't get to enter the board before they are wiped off...

I've got a feeling that CDPR just listened to Nilfgaard and Scoyatael players' complaints about NR and Monsters. As for me, these factions were good enough. But now I see that they were weakened on purpose and this keeps bothering me.
About constructive criticism:
I liked monsters to be immune to weather, that seemed logical to me. And you could deal with it easily if you knew how.
I'm not talking about foglet being destroyed by fog and other "presents" here and there.
Now almost half of a NR deck could be placed on any row. Blue stripes appear here and there, but they are obviously close combat units.
What is the logic behind making troll available to complete any other trio?

NatoGreavesy, if monsters had an unfair advantage - then make other decks stronger but do not touch monsters themselves.
Because monster players will simply feel insulted by new "introduction" to game and not be getting anything good instead

Nilfgaard was weak? Yes. So, make it stronger somehow. But do not make NR weaker. Because NR players will simply feel insulted. That's how I see it.

Someone said it's a new game now and we have to get used to it. And this person was right. It's a completely different game for me now and I don't like it for the moment.
It's not insulting - it's just the way I feel. And CDPR should know it.

The good, the bad, the ugly, of the new public beta.

So from what I've seen theres been a mixed bag of thoughts towards the massivel ist of changes that has come with the public beta update. Some are simply disgruntled because they don't like change, but others I would say have valid concerns, some of which I'd like to voice here.

So first starting the bad changes:

1. Units going where they please: One big change that seems particularly bad is that now about 80% of unit cards can be placed in any row. Doesn't this just defeat the point of having a row system?

2. Weather only affecting one side: Although there's a lot of changes with weather, this one change I'd definitely say is bad, before with weather being a universal effect it created a lot more interesting scenarios and even deck designs and card designs. But now with weather obeying your command the amount of interesting scenarios has decreased.

3. Faction abilities?: I put a ? because its not necessarily all bad and of course I mean the abilities like monsters old, "keep last unit at the end of the turn". Now its bad because factions have lost a lot of their identity making them a little less unique, which of course is bad. HOWEVER, it has made the game more easy to balance and pigeon holes factions a little less.

4. Text overload: OK so keywords can be great to establish recurring effect types that multiple cards have. But I think there a bit overdone and ambiguous. With some cards having up to 5 diffrent keywords, with a lot of these keywords being rather unclear, it takes a long time to actually figure out how cards work. I think some keywords could be cut and perhaps also give corresponding visual ques with certain keywords. For example in hearthstone "deathrattle" is accompanied by a skull and crossbones, which makes it very quick and easy for the player to understand what the card does, the player will see the card and immediatley go "right that cards going to do something when it dies."

Anything else I missed please mention, or if anyone disagrees but I do stand by these points and really hope they are addressed.

Another suggestion. In the deck builder, the units which can be placed on any row are gathered automatically on close combat row. And that makes every card on that row barely visible. Maybe developers should provide an additional row for units that can occupy any row? Or allow a player to place these cards wherever he likes.

Alexandr-87;n8614370 said:
Another suggestion. In the deck builder, the units which can be placed on any row are gathered automatically on close combat row. And that makes every card on that row barely visible. Maybe developers should provide an additional row for units that can occupy any row? Or allow a player to place these cards wherever he likes.

They actualy did it already, sorry about that, CDPR.

I totally agree on point 4: Text overload. I am a big hearthstone player, played TESL a bit and a lot of Gwent closed beta and I've never seen such a mess. I don't understand 30% of the text and keywords.
Also I 'm disapointed by challenges. Imo they should force you to play a certain deck for every challenge so that you can discover a bit of every faction's synergies. At the moment, you just spam the same shit deck (haven't tried to create any so playing with starters one) to beat stupid AI. No fun at all

Hello, i'd like to say that i strongly agree with that, especially with the first points of the OP (unfortunately unable to start my own thread), and i hope the developers would pay attention to the fact that currently the order of battle is messed up. Obviously one of the fundamental concepts of the game was representing a fictional medieval battle between two armies (mostly), i really liked the fact that this Gwent features way more adequate military unit cards in contrast with the Witcher game. anyway, now with the rows are messed up it seems unorganized, chaotic. as was said above, 80% of the units deploy whenever they want, while some of the cards who are still locked to a particular row are being placed in the wrong one (The nilfgaardian heavy spearmen in the archer area does not make any sense). i'd really like the deck to be a bit more logical and organized. Also, seems the game designers wanted to make each card more unique (and among other things make each round more unexpected), which is great, however I would also suggest to consider a comeback for cards without any ability (like those knight cards from the tutorial). Thanks

Hi,
agree with all above and for now (only played half an hour), I'm really disappointed... for information, with the same amount of time on closed beta, I was enthusiastic and only want to play more.
if I just began today, won't stay to try more. most of the charms of the closed beta is not there anymore for me.
I don't like the fact that the tutorial starts directly without letting me discover anything or even set the options. (could probably stop it and come back later, but don't like how it goes). as Thanatos35 said, I don't understand why Challenges don't require us to play each faction to discover them and the AI is really boring.
I really miss faction abilities. don't understand why some card effects are not applied each time (wild hunt hound for example doesn't always apply bitting frost..!??)
now I didn't tried a multiplayer yet, with my specific deck. so will probably find some fun again, but most of the added things are just not so sexy yet.

I agree with most that was said.
It's so different from before that its a mess and very very boring.

It seems everything was dumb down to a degree for 10 year olds and lacks any depth to think.
Its like it went from chess to checkers. Still a game to play but too simple and uneventful for remembrance of the match.
All the pieces are the same, except for a few.

I have over 100 kegs ready to break but Im not going to touch them until everything is final in case there is another re-work of gwent.
Hell, the way they buffed and nerfed cards in this last build, I dont even know what faction to invest in anymore.

charlieh733;n8614310 said:
So from what I've seen theres been a mixed bag of thoughts towards the massivel ist of changes that has come with the public beta update. Some are simply disgruntled because they don't like change, but others I would say have valid concerns, some of which I'd like to voice here.

So first starting the bad changes:

1. Units going where they please: One big change that seems particularly bad is that now about 80% of unit cards can be placed in any row. Doesn't this just defeat the point of having a row system?

2. Weather only affecting one side: Although there's a lot of changes with weather, this one change I'd definitely say is bad, before with weather being a universal effect it created a lot more interesting scenarios and even deck designs and card designs. But now with weather obeying your command the amount of interesting scenarios has decreased.

3. Faction abilities?: I put a ? because its not necessarily all bad and of course I mean the abilities like monsters old, "keep last unit at the end of the turn". Now its bad because factions have lost a lot of their identity making them a little less unique, which of course is bad. HOWEVER, it has made the game more easy to balance and pigeon holes factions a little less.

4. Text overload: OK so keywords can be great to establish recurring effect types that multiple cards have. But I think there a bit overdone and ambiguous. With some cards having up to 5 diffrent keywords, with a lot of these keywords being rather unclear, it takes a long time to actually figure out how cards work. I think some keywords could be cut and perhaps also give corresponding visual ques with certain keywords. For example in hearthstone "deathrattle" is accompanied by a skull and crossbones, which makes it very quick and easy for the player to understand what the card does, the player will see the card and immediatley go "right that cards going to do something when it dies."

Anything else I missed please mention, or if anyone disagrees but I do stand by these points and really hope they are addressed.

1: I agree. Agile units was something specific to scoia'tael and i liked it that way. Units being agile means its easier to avoid disruptive play.
2: I kinda agree to this, but weather was rarely run in closed beta. I like that its a viable strategy now.
3: Faction abilities sucked, they where imbalanced and some of them limited deck design.
4: Im fine with it, doesnt take me much effort to read and understand most descriptions. But i do agree the text on some cards could be better.

Overall i like the patch, i feel it needs faction balancing (*cough* nilfgaard *cough*), bug fixes and general improvement. But hey its still Beta, even if its public.

I definetly feel like the game lost a bit of charm with the transition. I really like the new weather mechanics but it should have stayed simetrical I can't really understand why they removed weather immunity (how can an ice hound or ice giant die by frost?).

I understand weather was broken on closed beta but I think they turned it on something that doesn't make any sense now.

​​​​​​The enourmous amount of agile units also made the have less flavour for me. Agile should be an special trait of some support cards and not the norm, just feels like having a specific roll is an extra cost. Positioning now is just too easy and too hard to punish.

I like a lot of changes like the passive removal (although I feel like they overnerfed monsters without giving it something to compensate like they did with Scoiatell), I love the variety of mechanics and no more vanilla policy.

When I first started playing the open beta I hadn't realized some units could go anywhere and it threw me for a loop. Most of the time I was instinctively placing them on the row they used to go on the closed beta. The other thing I'm not quite sold on is weather effects going on any row. At first I thought it was a bug when I had torrential rain placed on the melee row. I mean it makes sense, irl bad weather would affect the whole army, but the art of the weather cards suggests otherwise (i.e. archers in fog, foot soldiers clutching swords in frost, siege weapons in mud).

The arrow that now comes up to attack units is also wayyy too cartoony or bold. It's a bit jarring compared to the stream of blue light in the closed beta. Maybe it takes some getting used to?

It'll take a few days to get used to the changes, but really looking forward to discover new strategies with this patch :)

I personally really like the weather change, I would go as far and say nerf, because I always found weather to be the most boring and stupid mechanic, but I agree in that it should be symmetrical.

Moving the faction abilities from the faction themselves to the cards is a good thing in my opinion as it adds much more variety. I don't think the factions loose identity because they still have quite unique aspects, like Skellige with the veterans or northern realms having the highest focus on armor.

The keyword system is a really good step towards better understanding of the abilities but some cards just make no sense at all so that needs a bit more work.

All in all I think the game is as good as one could have expected with all these substantial changes, keeping in mind that we are one day into the public beta.

I think is too early to say something. I think every changes have a reason and I want to discover new strategies and archetypes. I am very happy with faction abilities removal (and I hate old weather spam too). Monster and Scoiatel faction abilities was too unbalanced and I agree at sacrifice some good ideas to make the game more balanced and fun for all players (not only for some).

Last edited:
eillinggel;n8607000 said:
I think it's ok.every faction is powerful...make all cards powerful is much better than nerf all cards.

This is not what I have been seeing. I feel like most stuff has been nerfed heavily. Monsters is not good and uninteresting. Northern Realms was gutted and doesn't seem good either. While NG seems better than it was before open beta. I hope it gets better.

Factions still needs to be balanced, NG is overtuned and a bit broken. Not sure what happened to NR since i only played against their starter decks twice. Monsters.....only faced their weather deck and it seems to do well. Scoia'tael seem to be in a decent spot. Skellige too, although QG is still brokenly strong as always.

But im sure CDPR will get to it, now that public beta is released they got more time to fine tune things.

As for the game currently, it's a blast. I have a decent deck going, with some shenanigan decks going too. :)

Mostly agree on all points.

"Everything is agile" needs to go ... it just makes no sense. I'm sure there was a reason they went this direction, probably has something to do with all the complaints about weather, but it seems like an over reaction to SOMETHING ...

One-sided weather makes no sense either - If they wanted to do that, they could have created other effect cards that were persistent and called it something other than "weather" ... wouldn't change the outcome, but at least it wouldn't be completely nonsensical

I generally didn't have an issue with faction abilities - LOVED NR ability, but without Promote and Henselt, there's not much need for that anyway.

Text overload ... yes ... way too much text, and no clear way to tell exactly what your card is going to do ... even once I play a card, half a dozen different things happen that I had no idea were going to happen ... then the next time I play it, nothing happens at all ... I'm sure it's all in that text somewhere ...

Open Beta General Feedback Thread

There are a lot of threads being made about open beta now and most of them cover the same topics (albeit scattered about). Ideally, each topic would have its own thread, but because that is not likely to happen, I have made this topic for the ensuing clusterfragamadoodle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom