Open Beta General Feedback Thread

+
Really love most of the changes in aesthetics, including the more direct and clear arrow for card effects. Loved the tutorial better teaching a lot of the stuff new players need to know, and really like the rewards tables to let everyone know where they are. Overall a big step up, even if some things are still missing, namely:

- original card status and abilities before they're damaged/affected during gameplay (hover over the card shows original status, somehow)

- card details when hovering over them need to be available when opening kegs, so you can make an informed selection on the last card.

- amount of cards in stock needs to be relative to normal+promo+all different arts of the same unit, and maybe put up the same kind of warning you get for trying to craft a card you already have all the copies you need of, when you craft a 4th card of those you can have different arts of.

Now, in terms of game balance, I loved the changes to leaders, and love the fact that faction passives are gone, and that you get the extra mulligan for rounds 2 and 3. What I think needs to be better balanced:

- weather should affect both sides of the battlefield, regardless of the cards color type.

- weather immunity should come back, but for specific types of weather for each faction/unit type, as well as increased synergy with weather for all factions. This should be the way to make weather more versatile, but still make it so you have to create your deck around using it, and not simply put it into any deck)

- some cards blatantly need balancing, most particularly the gold weathers (these would be fine with the change mentioned above) and the guardian (if it were one card maybe it'd be a fine disruption, with the new mulligan rule, but two is too much), but also tibor eggerbracht shouldn't limit the draw to a bronze card (have it be revealed but any card, otherwise it feels too strong) and daerlan foot soldiers probably should limit the draw to bronze cards.

- the permadeath tag and limitations should come back. It makes no sense for each medic to revive all the others in the GY in a dumb chain. (making every medic doomed and applying that for any way of entering the GY, instead of only when destroyed would be another solution, but I actually think that overcomplicates something that it was trying to simplify in the first place. Nothing wrong or too complicated with having the "revive non permadeath unit" text, IMO).

That's about it, and sorry for the wall of text. Really love the direction gwent is taking, and I hope the feedback can be of use so that we keep having good balancing in this amazing game! o/

I think so far the changes a pretty good but some of them I am no so sure about.
Like the SK Savage Bear change before it did not affect spawned unit but now it does so Yen unicorn or Chironex are instantly killed and their abilities arent trigger same goes for Zoltan: animal tamer , Woodland Spirit
Any 1 power card deploy effect can't be triggered because the bear kills them before that. I can see why you would want to prevent the deploy effect of some cards and that also means to play around it but i dont know still seems to strong to me.

Well that's sort of the point of the savage bear though, to function as a counter to such things. But I feel like it's easy to render the savage bear powerless, so it's not exactly a big issue.

Skryba86;n8635710 said:
the guardian (if it were one card maybe it'd be a fine disruption, with the new mulligan rule, but two is too much), but also tibor eggerbracht shouldn't limit the draw to a bronze card (have it be revealed but any card, otherwise it feels too strong) and daerlan foot soldiers probably should limit the draw to bronze cards. o/

I agreed with most of what talked about, I dont think those would be good changes.

1rst: The Guardian while it does disrupt, the ability to draw/mulligan/discard card(s) is a lot more commun compared to the close beta.

2nd: While I agree with for tibor (not limit the draw to a bronze card) I'm not sure letting them be able to draw a gold card is good, If thats what you mean by any card.

3rd:I believe Daerlan Foot Soldier limiting only to bronze why? Drawing a card already limits you to bronze and silver. If you look at Albrich it says ''Each player Draws a card(including Golds).'' So if you wanted to prevent the draw of gold card its already the case if what you really want to prevent even the draw of silver card I ask again why?

First, thatnks for a nice game, I've played a bit in very first days of closed beta, and having a lot of fun now. Few humble sugesstions about UI and visuals.

1) Please make all cards appear in one window in mulligan or graveyard window. Please, please, please. These cards are unnececcery big on screen, especialy compare to cards what you actually see on the table, they just like 3 times bigger. It's just looks wrong and disproportional. And also it is simply annoying to scroll them every time.

2) Main gray texture of table is too simple and too boring, and for my taste it is also too dark. I understand this is just personal thing, some people might like it, but some, like me, not. But I hope maybe you could draw new different tables in future, with more decor and fancy detalisation? Or each faction could have their personal themed table. You can sell these things for money or make them as rewards for levels, or ranks, or whatever. Could be so awesome.

3) Cards on the table looks too small, I wish they were at least 10-15% bigger.

4) It is nice you added turn log, but it could be awesome to see there not only cards you've played, but all interactions (buffs/debuffs/draws etc) which happened in this turn.

4RM3D;n8618470 said:
There are a lot of threads being made about open beta now and most of them cover the same topics (albeit scattered about). Ideally, each topic would have its own thread, but because that is not likely to happen, I have made this topic for the ensuing clusterfragamadoodle.

I thought CDPR asked for very specific threads, one per topic, as it was easier to look through.

If that not the case, I have a few things to list:

Simplified Rarity of Cards
-The Rarity designation/nomenclature should be simplified. Right now, there are no purple rarity gold cards (only gold), and there are no gold or blue rarity silver cards (only purple). Bronze still has white and blue. I suggest it to be: Bronze Common, Bronze Uncommon, Silver, and Gold. Use the borders to designate the rarity.

Summon and Spawn
-Summon and Spawn keywords are confused easily at first. CDPR could leave it as part of the learning curve or change it so the words aren't so similar. Summon could be changed to Draw, as Draw is already differentiated on cards depending on types it specifies. Or change spawn to include 'new' as in, 'spawn a new'. Or change spawn to make, create or generate. Theses are only ideas to consider.

Deck Size
-I haven't tested, because I'm not a CDPR developer, but a minimum of 30 cards might be better. So many times making a deck, I wisd I could fit more into it. Some decks, like the NR trio cheese, can draw most of the cards out of the deck.

Bronze Neutral Units
-There are no bronze neutral units. I'm Not sure if this is intended or not, and not sure if it's a balancing issue. But if this is an oversight, having some bronze neutral units would be nice.

Lack of Ambush
-Seems that Ambush cards were removed and not a viable theme. Isengrim seems very lack luster because of this. I would like to see more cards.

Random damage
-This might be more of a bug. From my observations, one time random damage hits seem to hit the same unit more consistently. It was to a point where I could place units down in the middle most left place, knowing that 'random' damage hit would hit that unit. I only notice this because of the NG medics kept being killed by a 1 random damage too consistently when I have several other units out.

Weather
-I liked how weather had draw backs and could negatively affect me. This needs to come back, in someway, with units having immunity to certain weather types.
-Only 1 weather type can applied at a time to a row. Not sure if having more than 1 would be too OP. This is just a testing suggestion.
-Ragh Nar Roog, and Drought are too powerful and instant includes atm. The value is too good. Nerf them to 2 damage instead of 3.

Tchet;n8637290 said:
I agreed with most of what talked about, I dont think those would be good changes.

1rst: The Guardian while it does disrupt, the ability to draw/mulligan/discard card(s) is a lot more commun compared to the close beta.

2nd: While I agree with for tibor (not limit the draw to a bronze card) I'm not sure letting them be able to draw a gold card is good, If thats what you mean by any card.

3rd:I believe Daerlan Foot Soldier limiting only to bronze why? Drawing a card already limits you to bronze and silver. If you look at Albrich it says ''Each player Draws a card(including Golds).'' So if you wanted to prevent the draw of gold card its already the case if what you really want to prevent even the draw of silver card I ask again why?

1 - While the mulligan is a lot more common, decks that don't have cards which allow them to mulligan (most of the decks, putting scoia'tael apart) will still be too hindered by the card. Either it needs to be of lower power, or preferably it should only put one golem on top, which will still force the opponent to mulligan one card away if they don't want to stick with the basic 6 power unit. I think that as it currently works, it becomes too disruptive for a 10 power unit, IMO.

2 - You're still putting 25 untouchable power onto the field. Or maybe just limiting golds would be fine. Maybe force the draw of a silver, or a bronze in case there are no silvers would be the better balance? That's something that should be tested, but I do think bronze-only draw is far too little a drawback for a 25 power gold.

3 - oh, I didn't notice that. I thought you could draw any card, didn't take into account it didn't refer golds. Humm, maybe it's fine as is then, good point. It is potentially a very bad late game draw, so it should have a good counterbalance for an early drop.

​​​

After a first couple of days, matchmaking is my biggest issue. I rarely get an even match, over half of matches are basically getting stomped by combinations I have no way of countering, because I get matched against soemone who was in CBT and already opened hundreds of kegs.

I feel like the changes are a step backward. It's emulating MTG too much, and making itself rather confusing and impenetrable in the process. I find a number of the rules, old and new, way too complicated. I preferred when it was being its own distinct thing. I loved the Gwent in W3, and I feel like these new changes are taking it too far from what I liked about Gwent in the first place, and too much like Magic, which is, to my mind, saturated as a format. I feel that the recent changes are squandering the chance for Gwent to stand apart from every other CCG and be refreshing and unique. There are still a lot of imbalances too, which I seem to notice most with the Nilfgaard deck. It feels ridiculously OP at times.

As someone who played a strange Monster deck that didn't folow mainstream meta, I always wanted to try Nilfgaard. Problem was, I milled everything in the closed beta so I could create a decent deck. (Low level/rank player so no big deal)As luck would have it, they're now one of the strongest decks for beginners.

2 cards in particular are game changing: Sweers (allows you to move a revealed/played enemy card to the graveyard), which can shut down quite a few factions, especially monsters and Nilfgaard. The second is Peter Saar Gwynleve, which is basically a silver, 6 strength, one-targed d-bomb.

Some pretty powerful stuff for a beginner deck.

But here is my issue. I took that starter deck, added some simple bronze cards like thunder (for control) and I've been kicking ass, mostly. What's the issue, you ask?
The issue is that using Emhyr and Cahir, I can bounce rot tossers, medics and even silver cards for the entire match. If it doesn't decimate the enemy by killing their units with tossers, it makes them spend the match trying to counter your play. Coupled with decoys, it gets a bit too much.

Just played a match against NR and I kept bouncing Cleaver to the point I locked 3 of his trebuchets, while still saving shackles for something else.

Seems a bit to much, doesn't it? I know it's just the start and people don't have decent cards but you shouldn't be able to bounce the same cards 4-5 times in a round. Medics and Sweers can also be bounced for crippling effects on decks that rely on summoning/spawning. It seems NG kept the legacy of NR's medics.

Last edited:
Snake_Foxhounder;n8641850 said:
As someone who played a strange Monster deck that didn't folow mainstream meta, I always wanted to try Nilfgaard. Problem was, I milled everything in the beta so I could create a decent deck. (Low level/rank player so no big deal)As luck would have it, they're now one of the strongest decks for beginners.

2 cards in particular are game changing: Sweers (allows you to move a revealed/played enemy card to the graveyard), which can shut down quite a few factions, especially monsters and Nilfgaard. The second is Peter Saar Gwynleve, which is basically a silver, 6 strength, one-targed d-bomb.

Some pretty powerful stuff for a beginner deck.

But here is my issue. I took that starter deck, added some simple bronze cards like thunder (for control) and I've been kicking ass, mostly. What's the issue, you ask?
The issue is that using Emhyr and Cahir, I can bounce rot tossers, medics and even silver cards for the entire match. If it doesn't decimate the enemy by killing their units with tossers, it makes them spend the match trying to counter your play. Coupled with decoys, it gets a bit too much.

Just played a match against NR and I kept bouncing Cleaver to the point I locked 3 of his trebuchets, while still saving shackles for something else.

Seems a bit to much, doesn't it? I know it's just the start and people have not decent cards but you shouldn't be able to bounce the same cards 4-5 times in a round. It sems NG kept the legacy of NR's medics.

I don't think using Decoy, Leader ability etc for Cleaver is considered op. There are way more powerful plays possible with him.

Sdfghj;n8642030 said:
This micro transactions scheme is very unbecoming - you should be ashamed.

It's either microtransactions, Pay2Win or not F2P. CDPR gotta eat too....and frow what I've seen so far, this game stays well away from Pay2Win, unlike most other F2P games.

I have played 3 games now where someone with a Nilfgaard deck has been able to play close to every single card in their deck. How many extra cards they should be allowed to draw a game should be limited, or the resurrecting from an opponent's graveyard ability should be removed/nerfed. It's impossible to have a strategic and balanced game when one side plays 11 cards and the other side can play 25

Kinglionsfox;n8639690 said:
I thought CDPR asked for very specific threads, one per topic, as it was easier to look through.

I would like to clarify that that's indeed the case. But most users do not read the guidelines and make a thread with a lot of different points. If they are going to do it anyway, might as well keep it in one place.

FG15-ISH7EG;n8633490 said:
I think it makes sense that you can't pick cards up again. Else whole effects have to be turned back, which is a problem if it was an effect where ties are resolved randomly. (If it is deterministic, you can decide to place another card instead, if it isn't you can do it as often as you want until you hit the desired card)
Also I believe that it is intended that some cards force you to use their effect if you want it or not.

Having strong cards without effects in your deck is always worth it, in my opinion, in particular to avoid scorch for more important ones.

I don't think you understand what I was talking about, perhaps I did not word it correctly. When you place a card that you choose targets for, nothing happens until you select all required target(s). So there is no "turning back" or randomness involved. In these cases, in other games you can cancel the placement of this card because it's effect has not happened yet by right clicking. An example in Hearthstone is the Owl that silences. When you place Owl on the board, it asks you to pick a silence target. If the opponent's board is empty or immune to effects, and your board has a minion on it, the player will realise at this point that their options are to silence their own minion (which they may not want to do) or cancel the Owl and pick another card, since Owl will not let you choose nothing as a target if there is something available. In Gwent, for this exact same scenario, you would be forced to silence your own minion as there is no option to cancel the card drop before choosing targets. This is unusual for a digital card game.

As for the second point, that's the point - there ARE no strong cards without effects to put in your deck, because almost all the good cards have effects now! At least for the factions I have been looking at thus far.

No Title

i dont know if monster is just under powered or the other classes are over powered but the only time i see monster is when i am playing it or crushing the very few people that play it and i lose to almost every other faction unless i get an insane hand or they just play poorly

Attachments

• photo138400.jpg
    photo138400.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 56
I like the changes so far from close beta to open beta. Weather seems slightly strong still, suggestion, maybe some cards have weatherproof.

Loving the OB so far!

Getting rid of faction abilities was a great move IMO, because let's face it they could be pretty OP.
Getting a Mulligan each round is obviously really useful.
Weather I think is balanced enough, since there are cards (in addition to First Light) that can clear weather from their row. Also it's great that weather no longer instantly sets everything non-Gold and non-immune to 1. This way there's time to get rid of the weather before it can do too much damage.

All in all, really liking all the changes. Gotta get that premium Roach... :cool:

Thank you for taking this already great game in an even better direction! :cheers:

Just a few first impressions from me - I'm not a hardcore player of card games, so all of it is more from a newcomer point of view (veterans will probably look at it very differently).

The game seems to me a bit overcomplex in the wrong areas. There are a couple too many systems layered already in the first basic gameplay (like locking / unlocking cards). While veteran players probably love the additions as they give them more options straight out of the box, it makes for a fairly convoluted experience for newcomers, even if they are already familiar with Gwent from Witcher.

Games likes Hearthstone have much easier basic systems and the complexity and depth come more later on from the advanced cards interaction and deck building.

It's not about creating a dumb game for the casual mobile gaming generation - but rather about spreading the complexity a bit more evenly - and, most importantly, away from the first steps in the game - and adding more to the advanced gameplay, while keeping the intro as easy to jump into as possible. Without spending minutes analysing every single card and scratching our heads at the different abilities and what they might possibly mean - this is better left for a more expert play later on.

Another point: the tutorial is bad. The only nice part about it are the familiar voice actors, but even that gets old very fast. The tutorial should use a MUCH lighter approach, instead of playing the game for me (and pausing at every.single.turn). If you need such a heavy-handed approach, taking 30 minutes (game, deck building, card creation) just to explain the basics of your game to newcomers, it simply shows how uninviting it is. A few hints here and there, tooltips, some explanations of the more important stuff - and that's it. Keep it simple and fast.

I would also change the way card category / quality is presented now. Especially the bronze / golden frames are just too similar. Make them much more distinct, player has to immediately see the difference, especially with golden cards. A boring, uninspired card frame doesn't do anything. I know the game is supposed to be visually a bit more toned down, in line with the grittier Witcher world, but the current design is too spartan, with very little visual impact that can be in itself a part of the satisfying gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom