open letter to the devs

+
thought it was time to take a step back and look at this with fresh eyes...
there has been a lot of postings expressing "why isn't option X available" or "the current state of Y is really bad" or "fix Z already" .
lots of posts that leave little to the imagination....here is where I hope to shift your paradigm....
I've seen videos expressing "trying something new" and " a new game style" well look at all these posts...read them well...
Despite all of the negative feedback you've received I want you to see from this angle, you've created emotional investment and a level of passion
in your creation, seeing what you envisioned....if not who would take the time to even find these message boards or to actually write anything at all.
the product isn't ideal, nor any of the relative situations....but then when are they?
chin up...dig your feet in....you've managed to create this dream now see it through to it's potential, the world is watching...remember these are the moments that define character, the Witcher series created a legacy and standard and it's up to you how this will all be looked back on.
we all have faith in you, proof is in the release selling so well, looking back at all this in time should be a moment of achievement separating yourselves from so many other studious with their overly hyped poorly executed products that the market is falling into these days

Last edited:
I wonder if the world spends its time watching bethesda activsion ea ubisoft etc whenever they release one of their glitchy crashy half-baked games? I'd much prefer the world to back off from watching these guys and give them some peace and quiet to get on with running their business as best they can. Some of these other companies with more money than you can imagine are nowhere to be seen when asked if they plan on giving free upgrades to games their customers have already bought off them, etc.

I wonder if the world spends its time watching bethesda activsion ea ubisoft etc whenever they release one of their glitchy crashy half-baked games? I'd much prefer the world to back off from watching these guys and give them some peace and quiet to get on with running their business as best they can. Some of these other companies with more money than you can imagine are nowhere to be seen when asked if they plan on giving free upgrades to games their customers have already bought off them, etc.

it's been 5 months.
i dont seee any free update yet. but... the last AC Valhalla from ubisot have a lot of free content "monthly" and some added by recommendation of the community. They answer personally when you report a bug and how to fix it momentarily. Very professional.
and nobody recognizes it, they only talk when they do something wrong.-
As for the press, if it is true but I pass with everything unless one passes briefcases or the game works.

What I know is this:
I have a quite deep connection with CPDR's Cyberpunk hich makes me still play this game with a strong passion and quite a lot depending on allowed time. I will give my critisism on various items as I think or believe they could help from feedback but I also defend/praise it from the strong suits this game is rich off.
I am not a type of gamer that switches quickly between games and I also do not play a large variety. so my endurance in this case speaks volumes to me.
If I contrast that to your average Bethesda, EA etcetc game: Fallout 4 and GTA 5 are the last games I played that are often compared to this game, and the last time I played those is maybe the first week if this year, if at all.
I have little care anymore for GTA because more and more I feel its a hollow shell that, once played has nothing to offer that takes me in anymore. Fallout I remember primarily because I went on heavy exploration duty and NOT do any actual story stuff.
Other than those games and Watchdogs (not played in ages) I do not own any game that is comparable and to be honest, I'm not particulairly interested to find another.
I am also fairly active on these forums. I have no accounts for any of the other companies' games, take from that what you will.

And yes, I do hope that CDPR finds a place where they are allowed to work on their game first an foremost. and if something would not be entirely what I expect from them I will not hold a hammer over their heads like your average clickbait-YT-horny-hippo-channel.
I keep having trust in that they will deliver yet, time is important here for them to be granted.
Only after the dust has settled and we are a good way past the final game was provided can we ultimately judge them and it.

This is my belief.

exxxed

Forum veteran
Rock on CDPR, as a first iteration of an open world FPS-RPG-Deus-Ex style game I think even with the shortcomings you've done a cracking job and there's substance here, flawed of course, but there's soul behind it which this industry severely lacks at the moment in the AAA department.

Improving on the game and the engine I can see a really bright future for the franchise and I can't wait for more.

Indeed everyone is entitled to see think and do as they see fit, and I in many respects agree with much of every post on this thread, it irked a bit to see a fundamentally praiseworthy post include lines like 'the world is watching' - I hope they're not, I'd like to think they've got better things to do especially at this moment in history, but in general it does seem to me, as it did when I first paid this game any particular notice or interest, that some parties have CDPR in their sights. I can't play any of the last 5 CoDs on my PS4 without a system crash after at best 30 mins, much less with the latest one, I've tried other major games from companies that spiel games out at a rate of knots that are just as janky as I've found CP, but you can buy them just fine from the PS store. From the off i smelled a rat, and I still do, not sure for example how many major game developer has been hacked of late. I have no previous affiliation with or care about CDPR whatsoever, literally CP's removal from the store pricked up my ears as it was unheard of for such a thing to happen (to my ears at any rate, and I've bought a lot of **** off that store). So I popped down the local CEX and bought a disc copy, expecting them to be discontinued too, and was gobsmacked to find an absolute belter of a game that pretty immediately became the second only reason to own a PS4 as opposed to a PS3 (Bloodborne being the other). I get that they made a pigs ear of the launch and that upset people, though I hold the view that it's merely a pastime so I can't get too wound up by any apsect of the gaming industry besides sharp practices. CDPR seem guilty of a couple of them regarding the launch, but in comparison to the companies that knock out games for fun they pale in comparison so far as I can see, the free upgrade idea being one of those. Sure is no free upgrade of Skyrim sitting waiting for PS3 owners, just a request for more cash. I also hold no concern for timescales so am happy for things to take as long as they take, I've been waiting over 30 years for a new album by The Sisters Of Mercy so patience isn't a issue for me.

Anyway just a ramble, the negativity around CP continues to seem lopsided to me, so sometimes I bite back, not even on their behalf, just cos. ALL my concern regarding the game is PS-centric, I wouldn't blame CDPR in the slightest if they just cut their losses with the platform and concentrated on PC and XBX versions, that again is just a function of how my mind works.

exxxed

Forum veteran

Whish I could upvote your post twice.

On the other hand I hope they don't give up on the first gen modern consoles, I'd be curious to know why Cyberpunk was ultimately removed from the PS store in all actuality and I think this is a major step towards that answer.

Glad to see I'm not going insane and Cyberpunk is not the only (or even close to the worst) bad launch recently but they seem to be getting the majority of the flack for it (some of it deserved of course).

Perhaps for the better as there are a few lessons to be learned for the fledgling AAA mainstream company that is CDPR at the moment, jank doesn't fly on the mainstream market as much as I can overlook it.

Either ways, cheerio choom!

Indeed everyone is entitled to see think and do as they see fit, and I in many respects agree with much of every post on this thread, it irked a bit to see a fundamentally praiseworthy post include lines like 'the world is watching' - I hope they're not, I'd like to think they've got better things to do especially at this moment in history, but in general it does seem to me, as it did when I first paid this game any particular notice or interest, that some parties have CDPR in their sights. I can't play any of the last 5 CoDs on my PS4 without a system crash after at best 30 mins, much less with the latest one, I've tried other major games from companies that spiel games out at a rate of knots that are just as janky as I've found CP, but you can buy them just fine from the PS store. From the off i smelled a rat, and I still do, not sure for example how many major game developer has been hacked of late. I have no previous affiliation with or care about CDPR whatsoever, literally CP's removal from the store pricked up my ears as it was unheard of for such a thing to happen (to my ears at any rate, and I've bought a lot of **** off that store). So I popped down the local CEX and bought a disc copy, expecting them to be discontinued too, and was gobsmacked to find an absolute belter of a game that pretty immediately became the second only reason to own a PS4 as opposed to a PS3 (Bloodborne being the other). I get that they made a pigs ear of the launch and that upset people, though I hold the view that it's merely a pastime so I can't get too wound up by any apsect of the gaming industry besides sharp practices. CDPR seem guilty of a couple of them regarding the launch, but in comparison to the companies that knock out games for fun they pale in comparison so far as I can see, the free upgrade idea being one of those. Sure is no free upgrade of Skyrim sitting waiting for PS3 owners, just a request for more cash. I also hold no concern for timescales so am happy for things to take as long as they take, I've been waiting over 30 years for a new album by The Sisters Of Mercy so patience isn't a issue for me.

Anyway just a ramble, the negativity around CP continues to seem lopsided to me, so sometimes I bite back, not even on their behalf, just cos. ALL my concern regarding the game is PS-centric, I wouldn't blame CDPR in the slightest if they just cut their losses with the platform and concentrated on PC and XBX versions, that again is just a function of how my mind works.
the world is watching is a reference to all the press CP2077 is getting both good and bad from world wide sources..
and the Witcher series refence is a nod to the company's history of quality...compared to so many that release CTD bound games
hope this clears things up....

I still cannot to this day understand why they launched for PS4 and Xbox One. Their hardware alone should make them pause. After all, an open world - without loading screens - with a massive city, with not only the length and width, but also the height! No wonder the developers were concerned about upper managements wish to release the game in the symbolic year 2020. But I do understand why they released it, because they had been canceling the launch several times already. And the hype had built up to unprecedented levels not seen before. The only 'flaw' is that they announce a launch-date and had to cancel. Most gamers would have been forgiven if they'd launch in late 2021 on the new consoles (sorry PS4 and Xbox One) and PC. I know I would have understood.

Personally I believe that if a game is intended for platforms X,Y and Z, all should be released simultaneously... But when ready.
I see it as a bigger crime to withhold a portion of gamers the chance to play a game on platform Y, while those for platform X already have it.
I would wait even 3 more years if needed (which was not difficult in the slightest since I avoided the hypetrain)
But having 3 or more separate launch moments, one for each platform. Thats a big no for me, and I would cancel an order if such tjing was gonna happen.
Its why I dont own MKX, while I do have MK9 and MK11 (ps3 version was cancelled for MKX)
I believe they also did something like this for the Tomb Raider reboot? --> Watched a playthrough instead. And there's bound to be more examples out there.

@Andes_Attack_Mk2 : with regards to the world watching, specifically the (primarily) negatively oriented YT outlets, I actually think they indeedbhave nothing better to do. Afterall, they all want to be there first bringing "the news" of which 99% is always opinion fueled...
And I have never ever played any CoD or stuff like that, never understood the hype for these titles either.
Nice piece of writing there btw! :)

I watched Pawel Sasko's streams on Twitch and few things are clear for me:
- CDPR are really ambitious to satisfy more people and they read not only the positive but also the negative comments
- they had to make decisions about what will be in the game and whatnot. It is impossible to put everything in the game that people would like to see, but it is not impossible to add some stuff (we haven't seen any DLC yet).
- they totally agree that some things could be done better/in a different way. They don't want to copy-paste things that are successful in other games.

The old consoles will be a problem for more and more new games and I guess a lot of ps4 owners want to move to ps5, but for now it is still impossible to find ps5 at a normal price. I put aside 2 new games because there are too many issues while playing on ps4 pro.

I watched Pawel Sasko's streams on Twitch and few things are clear for me:
- CDPR are really ambitious to satisfy more people and they read not only the positive but also the negative comments
- they had to make decisions about what will be in the game and whatnot. It is impossible to put everything in the game that people would like to see, but it is not impossible to add some stuff (we haven't seen any DLC yet).
- they totally agree that some things could be done better/in a different way. They don't want to copy-paste things that are successful in other games.

The old consoles will be a problem for more and more new games and I guess a lot of ps4 owners want to move to ps5, but for now it is still impossible to find ps5 at a normal price. I put aside 2 new games because there are too many issues while playing on ps4 pro.
You have a link to that specific stream (if available)
To me it sounds like (partially at least) not possible at the same time and/or quickly.
But am interested to hear their view.

You have a link to that specific stream (if available)
To me it sounds like (partially at least) not possible at the same time and/or quickly.
But am interested to hear their view.

There's so much that can be said about the release, the timing, the flaws, the hopes, everything really. I'm afraid that I'm going to sound very simplistic, but I'm going to say that for me, CDPR brought my favourite genre to life, and that brings me joy. The rest will get sorted.

Personally I believe that if a game is intended for platforms X,Y and Z, all should be released simultaneously... But when ready.
I see it as a bigger crime to withhold a portion of gamers the chance to play a game on platform Y, while those for platform X already have it.
I would wait even 3 more years if needed (which was not difficult in the slightest since I avoided the hypetrain)
But having 3 or more separate launch moments, one for each platform. Thats a big no for me, and I would cancel an order if such tjing was gonna happen.
Its why I dont own MKX, while I do have MK9 and MK11 (ps3 version was cancelled for MKX)
I believe they also did something like this for the Tomb Raider reboot? --> Watched a playthrough instead. And there's bound to be more examples out there.

@Andes_Attack_Mk2 : with regards to the world watching, specifically the (primarily) negatively oriented YT outlets, I actually think they indeedbhave nothing better to do. Afterall, they all want to be there first bringing "the news" of which 99% is always opinion fueled...
And I have never ever played any CoD or stuff like that, never understood the hype for these titles either.
Nice piece of writing there btw! :)
I pre-ordered Jedi: Fallen Order, then remembered it was EA, and cancelled. Watched a complete play-through instead, and I'm glad I did as it didn't bring anything new or interesting. Not to mention it was pretty repetitive combat just from watching the play-through.

I empathize that you wouldn't buy something not released on your console. Now you know how we PC-gamers feel with console-exclusives.

But my opinion about releasing such a massive game on such a tiny box like the PS4 wasn't the 'best move' when it comes to bug-testing, streaming assets and making the game 'just works'. Well, it's all water under the bridge anyway, so lets hope they can make the finishing touches in due time and start working on the DLC's.

I still cannot to this day understand why they launched for PS4 and Xbox One.

Maybe because when the game was announced next-gen consoles were a long way from being released, not even sure they were being worked on actually, who knows, so it was being made for XB1 & PS4. Strange how people conveniently forget that. They'll lose a lot of future sales for new games if they abandon old gen consoles and don't fix it for us, we won't forget.

I still cannot to this day understand why they launched for PS4 and Xbox One.
Probably for the same reason that I still can't find a PS5/ XSX on Amazon UK; the availability for either has been and still remains woefully minimal/ non-existent.

I've been following the PS5 since March 2020 and gave up trying to get one shortly after Christmas.

I upgraded my laptop setup specifically for C2077 and do not regret doing so at all. I'm still enjoying the game on 1.12, much to the annoyance of all of my GTA-playing friends ^^ CDPR can take as long as they like with developing future content and bug fixes so far as I'm concerned; they have time to achieve their vision and the modders have helped get the game to a very enjoyable state for me (having completed the game) in the meantime :)

Last edited:
Probably for the same reason that I still can't find a PS5/ XSX on Amazon UK; the lack of availability for either has been and still remains woefully minimal.

I've been following the PS5 since September and gave up trying to get one shortly after Christmas.
Since the launch of cyberpunk, i play on my One X (with freeze, crash, bug, but whatever), I tracked every day on the Xbox store for a series X and at the beginning of January, bingo ! I ordered immediately. The same evening it was out of stock... So lucky, i think.
I would have been so disappointed if CDPR hadn't released it on XB1, because that means that even on XBSX, I wouldn't have been able to play it :)

So thanks to the dev for this great game and thanks to CDPR in general for releasing it on PS / XB anyway :)
(I prefer to play it despite the problems than not to play it at all )

But CDPR is above all a company. Ignoring all PS4 / XB1 users, it was probably not a good idea (at least for the finance part of CDPR). For developers it must have been difficult to see the state of their creation on these consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom