open letter to the devs

+
I'm not gonna do homework, mate; I've got work to do, money to earn.

Besides, usually when I post stuff like that, the people arguing against me rationalize and justify and weasel-word until their mental gymnastics make the examples I provide say what they want those examples to say. I have no real interest in arguing about interpretations; they said extremely misleading things that gave extremely misleading impressions.

For example, they sure gave a lot of people the impression that NPCs were fully functional individuals, that you could follow an NPC around all day and watch them go to work, watch them go home, etc.
And someone will say, "Well, there is a day/night cycle in CP2077, so what they said was true...you just have to interpret it a certain way." In other words, you have to gaslight yourself. I've had that conversation too many times on the internet to start it up again now, which is the impression I'm getting from your reply, honestly.

The developers are selling a product; their creative freedom is secondary--if not tertiary--to delivering a quality product...which they obviously didn't.

And it's obvious from reading comments that many, many people wanted those features, expected those features, and are unsatisfied--disappointed--that they aren't there.
You can "Devil's Advocate" all you like, but it's pretty clear that there is a standard and CDPR ignored it to their own detriment.

And it's not what the players wanted from the game.

By definition, that's a screw-up...unless CDPR was making games for art's own sake, and selling it to others was never the goal.

[...]

No, the rest is a question of marketing, of selling a product people wish to buy.

And it's a stage that looks pretty, but has no real functionality.
This is a game, not a visual novel.

Well, then they failed at that, too, because the only way your Street Cred has any effect is on available items; NPCs don't change their behavior based on how badass the streets think you are.

I understand you don't like the game, and you are free to tell everyone that. I don't get your assertions that your specific subjective opinion represents the players or the market. I'm also not sure why you present subjective impressions as truth.

a minority of people who bought the game don't like it(according to available evidence). Out of those that don't like it the reasoning varies greatly. Many are primarily concerned with bugs and polish, Some don't like the endings, Some wanted a different story, some wanted more open world, some wanted less, some wanted specific features, some wanted more like witcher 3, some not shooter enough, some too much shooter.

go read the negative player reviews, they are all over the place with the reasons. Or don't because you don't have time or whatever, but as someone who is not incurious, I can tell you, they vary greatly.

bad reviews most recent

Ok. You got me (not).
But admit you've got that "fully functional NPC impression" not from CDPR directly but from some random guy on youtube.

No.

I got it from their interviews and the voice-over on their trailers/demos.

We talking about different things completely. I've talking about visual and audial impression Night City makes on you. While you talking about Street Cred as a game mechanic.

Well, that's down to how you expressed yourself.

YOU SAID: "Living and breathing city — is all about impression you may gain while being there, not while making a gonk of yourself."

The impression I get is that Night City very pretty...with nothing of substance. It's all surface-level.

And not making a gonk of yourself is down to behavior, which is why I thought you were talking about interacting with NPCs, which is almost entirely empty unless it's in service of a mission, and the story isn't affected by how you behave. NPCs don't react to who you've been so far in the game.

While I do agree that more fleshed out Street Cred may add more spice to game play. Also a have doubts that such a change will occur.

Well, if there is to be no change, I hope it's at least a lesson learned for CDPR.
I don't get your assertions that your specific subjective opinion represents the players or the market.

That's because they're not just mine.

You have only to look at this board and at Steam to see people expressing these sentiments; characterizing what I've said as solely my opinion, seems more like trying to score internet points than any kind of real, substantive reply.

a minority of people who bought the game don't like it(according to available evidence).

Oh? Show your work. Show how it's a minority.

And keep in mind that user ratings are not a scientific metric; almost by definition, people who rate a game are people who felt strongly enough to comment--often in service of an agenda--and therefore do not represent actual public opinion as a whole. Further, I even rated CP2077 up at first, but my opinion changed the more I played. Even further than that, up-thumbs and down-thumbs rather than rating on a spectrum often keep people from rating at all because their description will lack any nuance.

So I'm not prepared to accept user ratings as evidence...just to head that off at the pass.

Out of those that don't like it the reasoning varies greatly. Many are primarily concerned with bugs and polish, Some don't like the endings, Some wanted a different story, some wanted more open world, some wanted less, some wanted specific features, some wanted more like witcher 3, some not shooter enough, some too much shooter.

In other words, CDPR misjudged their audience, like I've been saying.

No.

I got it from their interviews and the voice-over on their trailers/demos.
It must be the early ones.

Well, that's down to how you expressed yourself.

YOU SAID: "Living and breathing city — is all about impression you may gain while being there, not while making a gonk of yourself."

The impression I get is that Night City very pretty...with nothing of substance. It's all surface-level.

And not making a gonk of yourself is down to behavior, which is why I thought you were talking about interacting with NPCs, which is almost entirely empty unless it's in service of a mission, and the story isn't affected by how you behave. NPCs don't react to who you've been so far in the game.
Sorry, I'm not native english speaker, so I post ambiguous or rude things sometimes.

Anyway cyberpunk wise all those people at streets don't give a swearword on you, and if you start bothering them they will tell you so right away.
That's all kind of interaction you can get by random NPC. And it looks more or less convincing to me.

By being a gonk, I've meant doing some silly or even stupid things like making havoc or pretending a cyber-psycho.
By doing so you will see shortly that CP2k77 is not a simulator.
Post automatically merged:

And you are also one data point.

One.

'Audience' implies plural.
You can count me in then.

Moderator: The discussion appears to have strayed from an open letter to the Devs to a general back-and-forth. Back on topic, please.

BTT
We all should show CDPR (the whole team) more respect and love due to insane amount of work, passion and dedication they have put in CP2k77.
And judge the game by what there is rather than what it lacks.

BTT
We all should show CDPR (the whole team) more respect and love due to insane amount of work, passion and dedication they have put in CP2k77.
And judge the game by what there is rather than what it lacks.
I disagree.

We should judge the game on whether we enjoyed it.
And, if we didn't, we should share why not; if CDPR is listening and if they're a business, feedback from end-users should definitely be useful to them in the design of future products. Like when manufacturers often send out surveys asking about different aspects of their product which we've purchased.

I don't know how much or even if our feedback will have any effect, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, eh?

[...]
I don't see Cyberpunk as a product like a car or a packet of Laundry. But rather like a work of art or a film (Nigth City is gorgeous, the story is good and well writed, characters are awesome, dialogs are great...).
So yes, you can give positive or negative opinions (everyone has their own), but in no case CDPR is obliged to follow them for these future products (and for me, fortunately CDPR did not do it because otherwise we would have had a Cyber-GTA).

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]
I don't see Cyberpunk as a product like a car or a packet of Laundry.

I've worked in the games industry; believe me, it's business made with a profit motive. Video games are a product to be sold and, much like movies, if they do poorly, they don't get a sequel. The company loses money. The writer(s) and director lose some of their rep in the industry.

CP2077 may be art, but it's commercial art.

So yes, you can give positive or negative opinions (everyone has their own), but in no case CDPR is obliged to follow them for these future products
I think their investors would say otherwise.

I've worked in the games industry; believe me, it's business made with a profit motive. Video games are a product to be sold and, much like movies, if they do poorly, they don't get a sequel. The company loses money. The writer(s) and director lose some of their rep in the industry.

CP2077 may be art, but it's commercial art.

I think their investors would say otherwise.
Actually RED's has an answer for this one.

Okay, I'm out of the loop; was that satire?
I could easily go both ways on this one.
It was an april fool.
But in a joke there is only part of joke (as they say in my homeland).

BTT
Ten years ago CDPR have said that making the game that most people wanted will end up like "The Bard: Savior of Queens".
They make games that they will proud of. And they stay true to this.

It was an april fool.

Ah.

But in a joke there is only part of joke (as they say in my homeland).

Is that like, "In every joke, there is a grain of truth"?

BTT
Ten years ago CDPR have said that making the game that most people wanted will end up like "The Bard: Savior of Queens".

I honestly don't know what that means.
It looks like a Witcher reference, and I never played it. No interest. (I likes me my high-tech, I does!)

They make games that they will proud of. And they stay true to this.

I guess, but I'd rather they made games I wanted to buy.

Moderator: All right, everybody, please, try to focus on the positive topic, which was the intention of this thread. There are plenty of other threads for complaints and debates. One post deleted.

Top Bottom