Open PTR feedback

+
[FEEDBACK] If you would like to keep the buy Thronebreaker "button" on the mainscreen for the release, please make an account check, and if somebody already has Thronebreaker in his library hide the button(card).

Why is your own hand always in the shadows? Cards are way too dark this way. I really hope you guys will steer clear from this weird "dark and gritty" mantra when it comes to Gwent. It was never dark and gritty to begin with, but in fact the exact opposite (amidst a admittedly rather dark and gritty Witcher world). Something lighthearted, bright, with cheerful music. And cards where you can actually see the artwork.

I seem to be running into issues with matchmaking. When I try to play a game, I get stuck in the "Searching for a worthy rival" screen, and then when I attempt to cancel matchmaking, I get put into the "attempting to leave matchmaking" indefinitely and am forced to close the game.

Same with me.

Will this be the new Gwent? So all time in beta means nothing?
The UI is a hot mess. I think you could keep the old one and just add some extra on the rows. If you are going to have the guys on the sides doing stuff, why not the faction leaders instead of generic elf guy for example?

... SO GLAD I did not preorder TB... what a mess.
Pretty sure TB will be completely different experience than HB (a.k.a. Heartbreaking), so I can encourage you to try it - there will be more puzzles, storylines, choices. So this is the only positive I can see so far. Maybe a stretch, but a positive.

After a while without finding an opponent I pressed the cancel search button and game crashed (no response for few minutes), only Alt+F4 was working.

Attachments

• ptr_gamecrash.jpg
    ptr_gamecrash.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 71
Pretty sure TB will be completely different experience than HB (a.k.a. Heartbreaking), so I can encourage you to try it - there will be more puzzles, storylines, choices. So this is the only positive I can see so far. Maybe a stretch, but a positive.

... yea, I don't think that's a chance Im willing to take.

I liked Gwent for the chesslike gameplay against other peeps, not playing a AI, you know?

Hey i have a problem, my game just gets stacked at searching for an opponent forever, and when i try to turn the queue off it gets stacked there too and i have to restart and i can't get into the game. Any fixes?

Is this thing region locked or something? I've tried to play it for 9 hours now, ever since the reveal that I could. The result is always the same: Could not connect to Gwent servers, blah bla blah. I've installed, uninstalled, verified, restarted, whatever. Nothing works. Stressed servers? Maybe I'll get a single game in before the ptr ends. Not likely though, even if everyone else and their dog seem to get in.

There's so many issues with homecoming gameplay that I don't know if I can even list them.
First of all, all the dial back on archetypes and card synergies, alchemy is all but removed, things like witcher have maybe 2-3 minor synergies and the rest of witcher stuff just has no synergy at all, in the case of viper witcher they just randomly made him a mill card.
The few cards that still have some synergy left are incredibly boring and most are just minor buffs, Vesemir just gives +1 to witchers akin to old foltest, the throne breaker witcher charge guy is kinda interesting but falls flat due to the same old simple play 1 card per turn limitation, which actually feels like a detriment now because cards can barely do anything by themselves other than minor, small buffs/debuffs.
Then there's the issue of gold cards, they're still barely differentiable from bronzes, not only that but silvers are now golds.
This makes gold cards feel even less special, couple it with the ability to have multiple golds, feels like a deck would be mostly comprised of golds with a few filler low cost bronzes.
Then comes the speed, having to wait for card falling down animation, pass turn manually, the little bumps and half a second wait between every single thing starts piling up and makes the "back and forth" between both players feel really clunky and not fluid what so ever.
Then there's hand limit, passing and coin mind games are really toned down, it feels bad, unintuitive.
It's like all the chess and back and forth gameplay of old gwent just got stripped down.
By far the biggest issue is the gameplay changes, it feels like they basically stripped down the game of all the progress and it's identity and dialed it back, it feels like I'm playing witcher 3 gwent or hearthstone, there's no cool combos, almost no synergy, no identities, it's all dumbed down and stripped of all that made gwent stand out and be enjoyable.

This was the perfect chance to kick start the game and pretty much almost every other department aced it, with some minor things to fix, but the gameplay which is by far the most important has been utterly ruined, the worst part is that there's not even enough time to improve it.
All the problems started with midwinter and it feels like instead of going back to this point and work from there, you basically just stripped out everything and couldn't fit in the synergies and combos that the game had before.
This is just really depressing and disappointing, I was really looking forward to this but I seriously had to force myself to play some games and I ended up closing it after around 10 games, deck diversity is all but gone and I seriously believe this might be the thing to just put an end to the game, whoever decided these changes basically sabotaged the game right when it needed it the most, it hurts even more knowing this comes from one of my favorite developers of all time, this is just not the quality I expect from them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the chance to test it out ! I have a little over 400 hours of Open Beta and here are my thoughts on the PTR :

The "coinflip" mechanic needs a little work, the 5 power artifact and the extra mulligan is too much, it should be nerfed, maybe the Artifact should give 4 power and no mulligan or 2 power and 1 mulligan.

The game kept loading endlessly when searching for an opponent, only reinstalling the game fixed that.

Some abilities don't trigger and the turn should end automatically after you played a card from hand and used all your charges.

I hate the randomness. I quit Hearthstone after only a few hours of Closed Beta Gwent, back then this game promoted more skill, thought, strategy, but now there are just too many cards with random effects and it's less enjoyable.

The game looks better, I like even the 3D leaders, but the gameplay is boring, the game is somehow less intuitive, creating a good deck is harder, and only having 2 copies of a bronze makes having a reliable strategy harder to achieve, there is no reliable way of drawing specific cards, decks have less identity, and I feel like drawing 3 cards at the end of every round is too much, 2 cards after the first round and 1 card after the second was enough.

I so want this to be good, but frankly I find the Open Beta more fun and intuitive, even though every other player is playing Alchemy, Handbuff or Consume which I hate.

TL;DR - Thronebreaker campaign looked fun, but multiplayer does not, for me at least, the games feels changed too much, and not for the better sadly. Just nerf the coinflip, reword the cards with random effects and give them fixed effects, allow a maximum of 10 gold cards (4 gold+6 silver like the old Gwent) allow a maximum of 3 bronze cards per deck, or even 4,5 or more, but with the required supplies increasing exponentially with each card added past 2 or 3 copies or something like that.

I hope you guys figure things out and make a better game for everyone !

It looks like (atleast as monsters playing vs skellige) if you activate that strategic boost when enemy has passed you can't pass as monsters after that.

I name of all real potato pc players, please add a "Shadows" off function.

But I know the overall performance will improve, I played a couple of games and so far I like the changes couldn't really play due to low framerate.

Thanks, lovely Gwent Team keep working :)

Don't know if this was said already, but Siren says it boosts deathwish units, but it actually allows me to boost anything.
Cantarella makes me play a card from the opponents deck, this is not clear at all.

About rules: find something better than provision, please, and take away all those cards drawn at rounds start

I have had the ghost card issue....also several on the team tried challenge for a friend match and now they cannot find a match in casual, plus the challenge option no longer works for them.

Challenge screen just keeps searching for opponent. Client was redownloaded and still same issue, multiple users with team now.

The main reason why i will never play gwent again:

-The new provisions system that gives different cardvalues makes this game 100% RNG.
-There are cards with 11+ provisions and cards with 4 provisions.
-In gwent each card should be (almost) equal, because there is no mana involved.... And you play 1 card each turn.
-The result is that RNG is 100% of this game. You can draw/mulligan a 11+ provisions card or a 4 provisions card, which is only 1/3 of one 11+ provisions gold card in value. It will be an automatic win or loss. It is as easy as that.
-Yes you can get 25 cards with 6 or 7 provisions each, but your opponent can, and most likely will, severely outdraw you provision-wise. And there aren't enough 6-7 provision cards that are worth playing.
-Besides that a lot of cards are way to situational if not useless.

But let me give an example. Let's say you both have 5 cards heading into the last round. Your opponent draws/mulligans and gets a commanders horn which boosts 5 units with 3 points = 15 strength (14 provision points)
You mulligan and get: vrihedd dragoon: 4 strenght with only a row swapping effect (4provision points).
GG thanks to f'ing RNG.

Obviously this game is totally destroyed.

Current Beta:
8 out of 10
Current PTR:
0 out of 10

Last edited:
Yeah, some half an hour ago I played last match, and now it's only constantly searching for an opponent and when I try to quit, it says quitting... but never quits quitting. I have to Alt+F4 the game.

I have limited experience so far, but it seems some leaders need to be more balanced with respect to one another. Arachas Queen only gave me one card to mulligan on red coin, which is insanely bad. Sure her ability can be good during those very few cases where multiple units are destroyed in a turn, but otherwise it's nothing to write home about. I expected at least 3 mulligans and was shocked to only get one total (for the entire game).

(+) The base mechanics seem much better and more complex then they used to.
(+) Deckbuilding is less restricted and more complex with provisions.
(+) Varied leader effects are really cool. Some are a bit bland (looking at you Emhyr), but the idea behind the change seems to be good.
(+) RNG balance seems ok for me. I think people should get over the fact that a handful of Create cards remain in the game, it doesn't really hurt it that much. Can't say how good consistency balance is yet.
(+/-) Overall, I like the visuals better then the old Gwent apart from the fact that it's all too dark and bleak (in terms of color palette). I'm all for a mature and gritty theme, but this is just depressingly dark for the most part. I've been watching Shinmiri's stream today and he plays with the music turned off. The visuals paired with the ambient sound effects (especially on Skellige) made me turn some cheerful music on, because it was just unbearable. I'd like the game to visually feel more like Thronebreaker fights, which look mature, but not as bleak.
(-) I don't know why all auto-engines were removed. Sure, Orders is great as an engine mechanic, but I'm not sure it's needed for all engine cards. It just slows the game's flow.
(-) While the base mechanics have been improved, it's a shame interesting mechanics have been gutter for the most part. Armor is gone (I assume it'll come back with Redania, but apart from being an archetype, it was useful as an additional balancing mechanic), swap is gone, strenghtening is gone (it's historically always been an issue in Skellige, but I don't think it should be removed from all cards), duel is Seltkirk-exclusive, and reveal, spies (Impera Enforcers and Emissary being the only cards remaining of the archetype), even consume are not as fleshed out as they used to be. I agree with many that the game seems a bit too boost/damage oriented at the moment. Hopefully this is because the base set is focused on getting new players familiar with the game before introducing additional mechanics.
(-) I agree the animations are too slow and the pace needs to be sped up. Old Gwent played much smoother. I also miss dragging cards to the board.

Last edited:
Top Bottom