Open PTR feedback

+
Well, so far loving it. But were here to discuss troubles, so far:
In game - Cant see much of my own cards during opponent turn.
In deck builder - several missing tooltips here and there, particulary annoting part is - you simply cant tell if something is an artifact, it doesnt say so anywhere.
For balance - gotta play alot more before saying anything.

I havent been this excited to play gwent since the closed beta (which was an actual mess).

Deck building seems like its going to be amazing, working with small combos and synergies while also being in the constraints of a balancing provision system is awesome.

2 rows feels great. 3 rows made it entirely too easy to play around so many cards.

Dry passing round one to slow tempo plays was never skillful, as people here believe. Being forced to at least play 3 cards into round one gives slow synergistic strategies and actual chance to be played. This actually provides a more skillful and diverse meta. The days of playing the highest tempo play and then passing are rightfully over.

Games take longer which is amazing. The longer a game, the more micro decisions to be made. The more decisions and interactions, the higher the chances of the more skillful player to come out on top. We lose one skillful (DEBATABLE) aspect in drypassing early and we gain and enormous amount of skillful aspects elsewhere. The game as a result is a lot better for competition now then before.

Less RNG because of the provision system and lowering of point averages. I feel like so many games in the past were lost because my opponent drew more golds then I did. If I drew 1 gold for a game and my opponent drew 3, then there really wasn't much I can do. Pass early round 1 and prey that I see improvement round 2 is not a good way to play a game.

2 bronze instead of 3 is also fun for me. Makes me more aware of using those cards and not just slamming them down. Also provides a different experience when I play the game because not everyone is running the same bronze line up, yet atleast.

My only cons:

I think the drawing on the last turn could probably be cut to two. I also think that there should be a mulligan for everyone specifically for the third round only.

The artifact coinflip solution is cool, although it may be too strong. Maybe a slight decrease in the points it gives.

I am only a dozen hours in or so, more than a lot of people who just played 2 games and rage opened their browser to come here lol. I'm sure the meta will get a tad more defined and we will see repeating issues occur. Most of my gripes then
however, will be about specific cards most likely. Other than that, the game is super fun. Ill enjoy this moment now before all of the complaints from people claiming to be good end up changing this game for the worse.

and I'm wondering whether it isn't the smartest play possible to give opponent 1st round after 3 turns, where he's then forced to play to not lose CA, but without Tactical Advantage to balance.
No, that isn't always the smartest way possible. If you do this I play all my less awesome cards(down to 4 min) then drypass round 2. This way, you both can scrap more hand cards, but it is your opponent who has initative advantage.
There is, of course, carryover, but if you pass this early your opponent should normally be able to kill this carryover.

So, after 3 hours with the PTR here is my Feedback (player since closed beta)

things i liked as a gamer:
  • Visuals and board graphics
  • 3D Leaders with their Animations
  • Provision system for Deckbuilding
  • Mulligan screen
things i have to point out as a UI/UX Designer and they have to be fixed!!!
  • Main Menu: i was expecting some kind of scroll/slide-effect for the cards, it feels very unnatural to navigate the cards

• Deckbuilder:
    • the UI/UX here is a big step back
    • it feels very overwhelming
    • splitting filter-fuctions is never a good idea
    • the filter icons are too similar looking
    • i attached a mockup to illustrate how imo it would have been solved better
  • Gameboard/Gameplay:
    • again the UI/UX is a big step back
    • i can see the reason to put most UI-elements to the right (free up 3D leaders) but its not worth the price to sacrifice usability
    • the overall gameplay feels too slow and clunky, if there are no more actions possible it should end the turn automatic
    • Cards just dissolving instead of flying into the graveyard feels odd
    • also the indication if you handbouff a card (particle flying to card) should be added back
    • Camera pan on opponent´s turn should be disabled, dont move the camera unless curser/card-effect action
    • Indicator of whose turn it is is almost not visible (bring back the blue glow effect from before) and turn the coin into the colors blue/red
    • There is also not a single indicator for using your leader
    • too many similar card abilities
    • i also made a mockup to illustrate what i suggest to change
Please CDPR you have to make sure your game offers the best user experience possible on launch. If the UI stays the way it is in the PTR i can guarantee you will not attract any new players. I myself had problems navigating the new UI elements, add to that the complicated card abilities ...

I have faith CDPR will be able to fix most issues in the coming months but I dont enjoy the new Gwent as much as the current live version. There is still a ton of work ahead of them!

THAT ^ ! Exactly that! ALL OF IT! (Ok, maybe not exactly, the points and pass button on the right seems fine to me but also move the graveyard near it because your mouse is going to be mostly on the right and low side of the screen with the exception of 1 leader use for most leaders And adding 1 more sort option for rarity because having mixed golds is just annoying for collection management). And maybe rotating your leader a bit to not see so much back side.

EDIT: Or you know, just move both card stacks to the right, the leader charge counter also to the right and shift the whole hand to the left even if won't be centered. That way there's room for 2 more cards when you almost inevitably mess with hand size, and hand doesn't have to be curved anymore making cards more visible AND that way all interface you want to and usually do click on is on the right (except emotes and play history which are less used and for which the interface is still too simple/lacking in info).

Last edited:
My opinion:
-Deckbuilder looks really good, but need to change the font (maybe add additional border) in mechanics description. When I saw card first time, I thought the whole text is about card abilities. The same about font of provison system (similar to card power font).
-Playing this game feels for me like playing old MTG Duels of Planeswalkers (UI is really similar and feeling of playing seems slow).
-Game need to be more colorful, brighter imo.
-Swarm of boost/damage mechanics frustrates me really, because most of cards do only that. For me because of that Gwent is losing his identity.
-Deathwish archetype is OP for me. Easy to activate, powerfull abilities.
-Drawing 3 cards on every round feels like "forgiving mistakes system".
-Decreased card power and "order" mechanics may be way to disaster in game with tons of damage abilities. Most of cards with "order" do nothing on deploy. Maybe atm this is so few time to say that, but in future this can be a problem.
-The problem with reading whether the leader's ability has already been activated or not.

1. I can't run the game in the ultra widescreen resolution. EZ it is almost 2019 year.
2. The graphics is funny dark. It makes me only bored not impressed with the dark atmosphere.
3. Look at the Meve's face in the Thronebreaker preorder picture.
4. I don't see how much left cards in my deck.
5. I can't see my cards in the opponent's turn. 2/3 of them is hidden behind bottom of the scene.
6. I have to find every artifact card myself. You didn't add this tag to artifact cards. I did't even realize that the game has these cards before played some cards with a goblet icon.
7. Turns are freaking long.
8. If I choose 7 points of employee card and after I want to find a card with 5 POE the filter can show me everything but not the 5 POE cards.
9. Monster faction's card Fiend boosts every deathwish card on the board and consumes one card. LOL. It is not what in the desription.
10. Your ranking of the cards is c...p. Should I seek for each card in the current game deckbuilder?) You did't even made alphabetic order to increase my wish of doing this.

Attachments

• 2018-10-06_2050_1.jpg
    2018-10-06_2050_1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 87
So, I played some ptr games, and I must say that I love the new gwent ! The new row system has much more meaning than it had before, and the orders gives more control over the game.

However, I feel that if it comes out right now as it is, it will feel very complicated for new player (and basically, every player will be new to this version of gwent). I mean, everybody on the ptr has made mistakes with positionning, made an order at the start of a turn that forced us into playing a card we didnt want to play... So, I feel that it would be better if we had more symbols on the cards.

For exemple, we could have a bow on cards that have a ranged ability, a skull, for cards that have a deathwish ability or a symbol that indicates that this card has a passive ability.

The other problem that players might have is with the provision system. In itself, it is a good idea, but I feel that the numbers are just too great (math is hard). So, why not drop the maximum provision cost to 4 for exemple, have cards with 0 provision cost (I dont get it why the minimum is 4) and have the maximum of provision be something like 40. I really feel that this unnecessary complexity adds a barrier for new players, and gwent needs new players if it wants to survive its rebirth...

However, as I said earlier, homecoming is really great ! I look forward seeing how pro players will adapt and make awesome moves !

Hi,CDPR! Thank you for the opportunity to enjoy the PTR. It is quite different from the recent vision.However,there some designs i want to discuss.Some cards' effect actually are the same as recent vision which different name.Such as Birna Bran is the same as Ermion in this vision,Uernon Roche is the same as DJ in this vision,I wonder why not return the effect to the owner ? It is not quite easy to remember.On the other hand,i can accept the designs of Naglfar,Imletich's Warth,Ritual Sacrifice and so on ,they are actually 'cretures',not spell or others,please give them point even though only 1.At last , the Northern leads are designed about order and charge(except Adda ),most golden cards are designed about these,it seems that the Northern deck will built similarly.

At the start of the game you can swap out cards.........................sometimes it says swap 1 card or 2............but I have seen it as high as 4 Is this a bug or is there a reason for this?

Last edited:
At the start of the game you can swap out cards.........................sometimes it says swap 1 card or 2............but I have seen it as high as 4 & 5. Is this a bug or is there a reason for this?

The number of mulligans depends on your Leader.

I am still stuck with "searching for a worthy opponent" and not being able to leave the queue after V2.

I reeeally wanna play tho Q_Q

[Bug] Today this happened. When the opponent played royal diplomacy and somehow got a trap something had bugged.
The visual while the card was down was off as well (it showed a white place similar to tactical advantage bug.)
Then when I tried to see what had happened I see this No_Name card being played the last.

Attachments

• No_Name2.jpg
    No_Name2.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom