Open PTR feedback

+
Dear developers (if you actually do read all this stuff) and forum users! I’ve played on PTR-server for an amount of time and would like to share with you my opinion on the game we’re going to in result (if nothing is going to be changed at some point). First of all, let us start with some positive aspects of coming novelties:

1) Visual design was made actually cool, BUT leaders’ phrases are written very small. In my point of view, to see them well one has to use a lens.

2) There appeared some new interesting mechanics, someone can hardly argue with that. Especially I enjoyed how consume archetype was remastered.

3) IMHO the best novelty of the whole homecoming is fixed coinflip (that was actually eagerly desired by players) and removing spies.

And now let’s move to some negative aspects. To my shame, there are more of them:

1) Some cards are totally broken (imbalanced). Imlerith (ex-Sabbath), for instance. You have to be a wicked sick sadist to let it get immune in the game, where this card could be played TRISE a match (copy, original and from renew). And about Sihill (Sabbath v 2.0 exactly from the “old” gwent but with a new art, that can only be countered by specials, that one will hardly use a lot in a deck): it destroys everything played against it, especially when run in Eithe deck.

2) Weather is totally slain. It is expensive, plays too weakly, cause it has timer now, and the most annoying thing about it, that it has to be played only from hand. What was the problem, when Hound (for instance) could play weather from deck? It doesn’t take too much space in a row and spins the deck.

3) As we’ve started to discuss the deck thinning… it’s just absent now. Actually, in some forms it is possible, but only 24-25 cards can do this. At the end of the round you do get 3 cards, but it’s not so descent, and such CARD DRAWS do a lot of mess. Many people like me while playing gwent want to play a deck that would play the way it was planned and built but not to depend on card order in deck. Some write it made the game more Hearthstone-like ‘cause it is actual Hearthstone trait.

4) Card draw. You’ve fixed the coinflip, but broke the card advantage by these draws. As for me, it is easy to fix: after the second round each player draws 1 card instead of 3. That’s simple maths actually: if players play 3 cards (there’s no sence to take in account less than 3), they will draw these cards and go to round 2 with 10 cards. BUT one side has already lost the round that makes this option dissatisfied. And if the round is taken in 4 cards the winner dry passes and gets 7 cards in round 3 and the opponent gets only 6. But what’s happening now is an actual nightmare! People MUST spend 6 cards in round 1 in order to make an opponent to play 1 extra-card. In any other case they are going for a long round 3, where each player has 10 cards. The reasonable question: is why we need first two rounds if we practically play long "round 1"?

5) There are some interesting mechanics but there are extremely few. Old mechanics are either totally removed (mill) or broken (spies and special control). And there are too many similar cards cards with A LITTLE BIT changed (or swapped) abilities. You told that you removed 1 row for some NEW and INTERESTING mechanics that we don’t actually observe right now.

Verdict is the following: it was obvious that the actual “home coming” goal was to adapt the game for mobile client. There’s nothing horrible, but you forgot TO DO THE GAME ITSELF. The game looks VERY underfulfilled . You should spend at least one more half-year to make it “releaseable”. You could avoid this just by fixing coinflips and removing 13-points spies. The idiom ”give (someone) enough rope and they will hang themselves” describes the current situation the best way.

P.S. Thanks for the translation in English to NicKnighter.

Last edited:
Having an issue where connection to server is lost mid game causing loss then it takes me to the match results screen and loads forever then kicks completely from the game. It immediately allows me into the game, so no internet issues.

The last nail in the coffin..not like I didn't call the direction of where the game was heading. The changes just before the midwinter update and therein after for their vision of a simplified stripped down gwent for a potential mobile release was evident. Although to do it in such a way to actually give false hope to it's core players did sting a little. Here's an excerpt from the the homecoming letter;
  • Focusing on skill and player agency
We heard you discussing the “Create” mechanic. At first, we thought it would be an interesting addition to the game, but — as time passed — we realized that this form of wide RNG is not something that fits our focus on player skill. We will be extra careful with these types of mechanics in the redesign process. That said, if we manage to find some cards interesting enough to include, but ‘too crazy for Ranked’, they will still have their place in Arena and Casual Mode.

• Re-focusing on core gamers
We want GWENT to remain a deep game, where each faction has its identity and offers distinctive gameplay archetypes. We want rows to really matter in terms of gameplay, and gameplay itself needs to be engaging and rewarding.

Too many negatives to note from "Homecoming'' which others have already. It's not like they will listen to feeback now being so close to release. It's more to gauge the reception of the new game using the title of Gwent and to iron out some bugs of which are plenty and shocking. The lack of faction identity, archtype synergy, mundane card effects of simplified pinging on top of the RNG fiesta is just the cherry on the cake, of which the distracting UI and 3D cheerleaders attempt to hide. Sorry did I mention 2 copies of bronze cards to ensure less consistency and no more silvers must've done in an earlier post but there you go ''homecoming''. Oh but wait we have 2 rows now that have ''meaning'' instead of 3, for some reason it's hard to have 3 rows with meaning because reasons even when they did have row identity to some effect in Closed beta.

Oh well hope your new demographic stays with you, I mean casuals by nature move along to the next thing so goodluck.
Was fun playing since CB and a good portion of OB when the game still had it's complexity and identity.

Cheerio.

I can't tell if the tooltips are wrong, or if most cards are extremely buggy. I'm playing games where I can't figure out wtf is going on. Like, why can enemies who are locked still use abilities? Why does a card that says "boost an ally with Deathwish by 3" boost an ally that doesn't have Deathwish by 3? Some cards with Orders have Charge, some have Cooldowns, and some don't have either. How am I supposed to know what cards can correctly interact with them? I just had a unit damaged by 4 by a card that said "damage enemy by 1." Opponent's Prize-Winning Cow turned into a Chort on the same turn it was played, when the opponent didn't have any cards that gave zeal. And so on and so on.

I'm confused and annoyed right now.
Post automatically merged:

Also, it's too hard to figure out what different things I can do on any given turn, and there isn't enough time to read the opponent's cards, look over my own cards, and think about what I want to do.

I guess there's enough time if all people do every turn is just play a card from their hand. But if I want to use actual strategy, I feel extremely rushed.

Last edited:
I can't tell if the tooltips are wrong, or if most cards are extremely buggy. I'm playing games where I can't figure out wtf is going on. Like, why can enemies who are locked still use abilities? Why does a card that says "boost an ally with Deathwish by 3" boost an ally that doesn't have Deathwish by 3? Some cards with Orders have Charge, some have Cooldowns, and some don't have either. How am I supposed to know what cards can correctly interact with them? I just had a unit damaged by 4 by a card that said "damage enemy by 1." Opponent's Prize-Winning Cow turned into a Chort on the same turn it was played, when the opponent didn't have any cards that gave zeal. And so on and so on.

I'm confused and annoyed right now.
Post automatically merged:

Also, it's too hard to figure out what different things I can do on any given turn, and there isn't enough time to read the opponent's cards, look over my own cards, and think about what I want to do.

I guess there's enough time if all people do every turn is just play a card from their hand. But if I want to use actual strategy, I feel extremely rushed.

I created a few bug posts in the technical forums about the inconsistent use of tooltips, and in some cases just flat out inaccurate tooltips. I don't think they cared enough about these types of feedback during open beta to give it any weight. And even though players have been asking for a proper game log or history since closed beta (lonnnng time), they hadn't implemented it. Then when you report bugs, they ask for screenshots, and you're like: what if the bug happens at the end of the game and you literally cannot grab screenshots because the game shuts out? They don't leave a lot of room to accommodate the feedback that should be expected during beta play.

I will admittedly give this 1 more go now that things are revamped again, but based on what I'm reading in this thread, I will have to be very surprised if this remains installed.

You do know you can have a maximum of 10 cards in your hand, right? Any cards over the 10 limit are automatically destroyed.

No I didn't. And I don't know how am I supposed to know it. It would be good if it was written somewhere in the game...

That explains why my card got discarded but I still don't know why my opponent was drawing more cards than me.

It's not in the game because this is a PTR and therefore the tutorial isn't in place yet. But the hand limit has been announced long ago and been heavily discussed on these forums.
You both draw the same amount, 3 cards after each turn.

The 3d just makes gameplay slow. Sorry to be a downer here.

Also - how did this guy play 2 cards here (1 was not from his hand):

Spotter and Vilgefortz in 1 play.jpg

First be plays Spotter:
Deploy.
Melee. Reveal a random unit from the enemy deck and boost self by its power.

He immediately then got to play a 2nd card that wasn't from his hand
Vilgefortz:
Deploy.
Melee: Destroy an enemy unit, then your opponent Summons the top unit frmo their deck.
Ranged: Destroy an allied unit. Summon the top unit from your deck.

Here are some of the bugs I've discovered :
  • Draug can sometimes target units outside of his reach 2 range
for exemple : Using his order to target a enemy unit on the ranged row, while being himself on his own ranged row
  • There is a problem with the Usurper's card art, the hilt of the dagger is invisible in the card version.
  • John Natalis's ability does not apply do units with orders that spawn or are created after he's been played, even tough. it's clearly written that it affects all ally units on the board and not only those that have been played from hand.
  • Cadaverine does not destroy itself after use, like said in the tooltip.
  • Also, princess Adda voice-overs are a man's voice?
Here you go!

A timely pass in first round has lost it's potential. Your opponent can go down to 4 cards in hand (even if it takes him 3 cards down from 7) to win the round, then simply drypass the second one. He'll end up with 10 cards in hand and will go second. I can't understand why developers went ahead with this...

Provision system is far from perfect. In a lot of situations you're bound to put some trash in your decks, since low cost cards usually don't support the archetype you're going with.

3D is bland, leaders look really poor and cartoony, and whole screen has some kind of blurry post-process filter on it, looks like a very slight chromatic aberration.

The most annoying thing about leaders is actually the sounds they make. All the "hmmm", "oooh" & "ahaaa" is very childish...

^Considering two previous points. Dark & gritty elements still clash with silly ones. And both of them are actually really repulsive, because they should've been swapped around. Dark, dirty board is unwelcoming. It should've been warm tavern-styled theme. Leaders are annoying little figurines. Their presence on the board should've been merciless & cunning...

I think Gwent is beyond redemption at this point, unless there will be a Homecoming 2.

The whole homecoming experience felt overall very disappointing. I dont want to tell everything, because many other people have already summed up all the issues homecoming has. I can mostly agree on all of them. I played one day and didnt ether bothered to play and try again. Way to much issues ( and with this i dont mean bugs, but more the gameplay and possible strategies).

What i liked:
The new Northern Realms: Order archetype with charges althaugh its pretty hard to keep the units alive.
Few old cards with new interesting abilities: I liked the new bekkers Swistet mirror.

But alot of the cards are boring. It feels like each faction has the same small bronze engines and damager and booster, there isnt a identity to one specific faction, also there isnt a identity to a specific archetype within a faction. This Homecoming feels a bit like playing the random arena mode of the old gwent, were rarely spectacular synergies occur, so it gets boring very quickly.

Please postpone the release of homecoming, (not thronebreaker!) and make the game enjoyable again.
For example make Isengrim outlaw a Gold with one strength, that plays any unit from your hand as ambush, which flips over when your opponent passes and its deploy ability ist triggered (when the unit played as ambush has a deploy ability), then draw a card. (This is an intersting effect, where the opponent has to guess, which card the other player played) And bring ambush units overall back. Only ambush artifacts isnt enough for the archetype!

I gotta say resilience is broken right now the way the rounds are on PTR. Currently dwarves are about as bad as 2017 dagon harpy spam, maybe worse.

I have no idea how to make a topic on this forum but please add a tutorial like there was before. I forgot how to play and it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in the game.

Why not just to kill GWENT servers right away.. dont even bother with HC.. as I read this thread, there is rather no positive feedback.. People wont play this.. we have Heartstone for such gameplay..

#makeGwentgreatagain

I have no idea how to make a topic on this forum but please add a tutorial like there was before. I forgot how to play and it's ridiculous that this feature isn't in the game.

This is just open ptr, the tutorial will be in the release version of the game
This ptr doesnt have shop, arena, casual matches, challenges ecc... cause it is just focused on getting feedback from the community about card balancing and the general feeling of Homecoming.

If you dont remember the mechanics and dont want to look for the keywords just wait for the actual release (October 23rd) and play the new tutorial :)

End turn should be automatic,
I often just forget to press it.

(Magic Arena for example ends turn once all player moves are maxed.)

Also more impact on the cards- sound and effects.

Top Bottom