Open PTR feedback

+
Order and reach are truly awesome additions to the game, this + rows which matters makes this game more complex and skilled... ppl must be insane to not see this. Crying about no synergies is just ridiculous too, its impossible to create deck without synergies so idk how you ppl doing it. Only problem i have with Gwent now is hand limit, it makes tempo and CA dont matter for far to long

View attachment 10979447

Infinite Loading Screen since my PC crashed during deckbuilder on Friday. Restarting, uninstall/reinstall, verifying game files, making a new account, nothing helped. I'm out of ideas. I know of one other guy with the same problem.
i experienced a problem like this, not same but similar. So i tried to launch the game, it started on window mode with loading screen then i waited for 40 mins but nothing happened ( yeah i really waited 40 mins, i thought it might be because everyone was trying to get into the game). Then i closed it repaired it but it didn't solve my problem. So i came back and tried alt+enter it went fullscreen, after 15 seconds i was in game. So while i was checking new cards my laptop forced to shutdown this is the sad part of my story. Can't play gwent anymore, this is depressing :(

I think leaders should have provision cost as well (with deck provision cap raised accordingly of course). I think the number of mulligans might not be enough as a balance tool in the long run).

What i think is realy great problem is, is that the HC Gwent needs mutch more performance ... mainly the main menu.
my old i5 4200m laptop, who let me play gwent while not at home, has huge problems with the new main menu while the rounds itself playing with no real perfomance problems.

I've got these same problems... I cannot see most icons in the home screen, the cards in the deck building and when I play a match the mulligan screen has no visible cards and I never see the opponent's units on the field! Totally disappointing and useless so far

Oh dear. More style, less substance.

Having enjoyed hundreds of hours playing Gwent and having invested a lot of money in it, I am extremely disappointed with this rewrite.

A lot of this has already been said by others, but I wanted to post this just in case it may help CDPR in some way.

The thing that appealed to me about Gwent was its elegant simplicity that hid a depth of strategic potential. Like chess, the individual pieces and moves weren't that complicated, but the strategic complexity was there. Trying to anticipate your opponent's strategy and disrupt it, while trying to implement your own, was a large part of the appeal. Managing your resources and timing your passes was a key part of gaining the upper hand.

This new game has traded that elegant simplicity for "busy work". It seems to have lost a lot of its identity in the process.

I am not a fan of 2 rows, it removes one of the dimensions of unit placement from the game, along with all the mechanics that utilised it. Yes, 3 rows could have been made better use of, but the only merit I can see to losing a row was to see the card art better during the game. Unfortunately, CDPR seem to have decided that this is the way forward and there is no going back. I hope they can make it work.

I am not a fan of the new approach to leaders either, but can live with it.

Provisions has a lot of potential, but needs refinement.

Hand limit and new card draw seems bad. This can be fixed.

Current card abilities seem limited, uncoordinated and uninspiring and balance is off, but these can also be fixed. The excessive RNG could be toned down or removed too while they are at it (Gascon, I'm looking at you).

The 2 bronze limit is debatable. It could work if the individual bronzes can work better with each other and with given archetypes.

As others have said, it seems that this redesign has ended up being for the benefit of Thronebreaker more than anything. The visuals took priority and gameplay has been adversely affected as a result.

I think that CDPR just haven't given themselves enough time to completely rebuild the game. If they had gone for refinement or evolution from the current (or even pre-Midwinter) version of Gwent, then 6 months was feasible. A complete rewrite, while simultaneously adapting it all to Thronebreaker, looks like it was a bit too much.

To me, sadly, this is no longer Gwent. Will it be any good? It's too early to tell. Thronebreaker looks great, and I will enjoy playing that, but I think I will have to wait several months and many patches to see whether the new multiplayer card game based loosely on Gwent has any lasting appeal. I just hope that I haven't bought (and earned) myself an expensive collection of cards for a game that no longer exists.

Sihil is way to crazy with Eithne really hard to stop even if you have artifact destroy. There are too many ways to bring it back from the graveyard

I realy love this Crach An Craite redesign, keep it up guys ;)
1212.jpg

More feedback.

Positive:
-> Artifacts are very fun.
-> Order mechanic is also really fun and feels good.

Negative:
-> Games are way to slow with the animations, if possible speed them up, or give the option too.
-> I would like to be able to click hold the card, it feels more "real".
-> Option to mute leaders.

My original feedback still stands, too simple, way to much stuff removed, and it needs the third row.
After a couple more games it still feels bland.

This is just an adition because i really like those two new mechanics. If needed ill merge the posts!

Guest 4305932

Adding to

While i understand the idea behind card hand limit i think it can damage the game.

Matches feels a bit too slow. Animations should be faster (mainly draw, discard, cards palcement)

Game history is still bad. I think overhaul of the history should be a priority.

I'm very happy with the tutor removal and less focus on archetype. Game seems more a card game now and there's much more that you can do during a turn and so much space for deckbuilding. The entire game have more depht and it's more strategic. It's no more "select an archetype and fill it with everything that work with it" with almost no space for variation. Great that positioning still matter.

I'm not sure about playing a card and the leader in the same turn. Some leader can be too strong (Morvran) and generate too much tempo.

Many cards need to be a bit better. Abilities of cards like Adda and emissary are just bad. Ballist being just a worst reinforced ballista is weird. Making it even like "deal 1 damage to 2 adiacent units" would be better.

In general seems that Homecoming has opened huge design space (new Regis or Pheonix are perfect example of great card abilities) and that gwent has a future now.

A note.
Discord ptr channel is already a clasterfuck of toxicity. I've opened it and immediately left the channel. I hope mod can fix it. And, for the love of God, take everything r/gwent says with a grain of salt. Even mods are in full bandwagoning mode.

Nilfgaard reveal seems a bit too random. Would be nice to have "reveal the third card from the top", "reveal the bottom card" instead on "reveal a random card"and would make certain interaction and abilities more interesting.

Important
Spawned should use their deploy abilities. It's doesn't make sense that if I spawn another Cursed Knight using Reinforcements the knight can use his deploy

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt anyone will read this, buried as it is on the 18th page. I've played HC for about 20 hours now, mostly NG, ST and NR. Overall, I like the new Gwent and the provision system. Deckbuilding is cool. Artifacts and Orders add complexity to the game. The art team is fantastic as always. However, there are a few things to fix, in my opinion:

• 1) The game board is too gloomy and overshadows (literally) the detailed card art. When people say "dark", they mean thematically. Brighten the board just slightly please.

• 2) Certain leaders are leagues better than others and could use another balance pass. Eithne in her current form is completely broken. She allows you to set up uncounterable scorches, Regis, Igni, etc... once per round ! Who would bother playing Brouver or Francesca for less mulligans?

• The Usurper is unfun, both to play and to play against. Emir sucks, I'd rather run Peter + Calveit. Morvhan has the old Calveit ability, which is still good and the obvious choice for most NG decks.

• The NR leaders seem rather weak. In fact, NR seems rather weak in general. Most bronzes are low points which require time to set up and get going with support from gold cards... which will never happen when the enemy just pings your units away. Choosing Foltest as the leader is almost a requirement to stay in the game.

• 3) Most units have been changed to just "boost" or "damage". I don't find this particularly interesting, personally.

• 4) Reveal NG has far too much RNG involved. The Joust mechanic wasn't fun in Hearthstone and it isn't fun here.

• 5) There are too many gold cards in each deck. Bronzes, which used to represent the "core archetype" of any deck, no longer feel like they do anything of importance at the moment. Consider reducing slightly the amount of provisions per deck, or some other equivalent change. Right now it feels like each player just tosses away their bad bronzes in r1 or r2, looking to max out on gold cards for the big r3.

• Speaking of, r1 and r2 feel like they don't even matter. Players just dump their worst bronzes, then pass. This has been brought up by many other testers.

• 6) Decks feel like they 75% gold now. Why were silver cards removed anyway? Bring them back. Gold cards should feel unique and powerful and visually distinctive.

• 7) Consider adding some high provision bronze tutors. Right now, I predict everyone will end up running the Witcher trio and/or Roach/Poet just to thin out cards. The provision system is an excellent way to put a high price tag on deck consistency, just like you did with Roach and Poet. Unlike current Gwent, where tutors cost nothing and add extra points, the provision system could lead to interesting deck building strategies and better archetype synergy (as opposed to just stuffing in more generic bronzes that dmg/boost to reach the card minimum). This is especially true now that there are only 2 bronzes in each deck. Why bother creating a deck that depends on bronze synergy with no possible way of finding them? Instead, HC is about slamming down as many high value golds as you can in r3.

• 8) Kambi is another unfun card that punishes 1 player for something that they have no control over (the order in which they drew their cards).

Last edited:
Just downladed Open PTR, but as I start the game I can't see any of the main menu "buttons" and graphics (apart from the corner small icons).

Also no cards are visible, neither in loading screens or in decks.

Anyone has similar problems?

I see that many people have this problem. Anyone found a solution? I have same issue.

Oh boy, I played a bit more, and do I have more feedback.

So technical issues I covered in the previous post, so now it's time to focus on the game itself.

First of all, I really love the fact that there is more interaction now. Order mechanic really makes more counterplay possible and overall the game really feels more like a battle. That's cool. However...

There is a huge problem with resource management now. In fact there seems to be almost none. Each card by itself became so unimpactful it barely matters now whether you are up a card or down a card. And most of the time you will be on equal cards in round 3 anyway, since first two rounds ammount to almost nothing. People will just play their crappier cards to cycle the deck and go into round 3, 10 cards to 10 cards a lot of the time. And even when that doesn't happen, it doesn't seem to matter that much - what really matters is who drew better cards by that point. And when you add Voorhis essentially giving you a free card on top of that... Oh boy, it feels simply broken. Like all of the rounds stuff was once a part of the game and now has no place in it. And it is not a good feeling.

My second issue with the current state of the game is that it encourages point slamming. You don't want any form of a complex combo - since it need to be drawn, then protected, then you need the board state to be right... Uh, so much trouble. You know what's better than that? Just cards that consistently give you a bunch of points with little to no setup! Like for example Wolfsbane in Eithne, where you can close out round 3 by lining up all enemy units to be odd or even and then just obliterating your opponent. That is fun a time or two, but essentially it goes counter to the very idea of Homecoming of making the game interactive and adding more counterplay. The problem here is - a lot of difficult comboes just don't pay off, while simple and uncounterable plays are often too powerful.

So my suggestion to help resolve these issues is simple. First, do something about the card advantage. Without a meaningful impact of card advantage, the whole point of having 3 rounds just kinda evaporates. You can remove the hand limit, or reduce the ammount of cards drawn, or even give some kind of bonus for winning the round.

Secondly, make the combo cards more powerful. A difficult setup should be properly rewarded, while simple or random plays should be less impactful. Why is reveal rewarded so heavily for randomly revealing a Foot Soldier? It takes 3 turns of keeping boosted Anna Stregner on the board to overcome that boost, and it take incredible effort to achieve that.

So that's it, once again I hope my feedback helps.

The ONLY problem with the old gwent was the rows, for many decks they weren't matter at all. Cards with "create" ability may sometimes win the round/game but it wasn't something to rely on. Menu, deck builder, arena in-game graphics and art gave old-school aesthetic pleasure.

The problems i find with PTR are many. Some of those are:
1. First of all the animations combined with "order" abilities takes so many time that i want to forfeit in order to start a new match.
2. Heavy software for laptops with no reason at all.
3. Not even highlighted row for any unit that can be put and trigger its' ability.
4. All of the cards and leaders suffered terrible changes that many of them are totally useless or useful if you got the luck of not dying when the the turn ends.
5. As my last complaint is that the battlefield is so full with colors and moving things that gives the impression i'm no longer playing card game and distracts me from thinking. KISS

It's a pity that in the 23 of October we are losing gwent :(
Now it's like any other card game

Last edited:
I think monsters are even better than sco'iatel or northern realm
Eithne at least have sinergy with control decks and scorch, woodland is just boost 8 braindead points, eredin only function is to boost 4points braindead sabath, so stupid design

Bug on the ptr for me :

- center part of the menu missing, but clickable so you can join a fight or the deck builder :
Gwentptr-menu-invisible but activable.png

- mulligan screen and cards invisible, but tooltip shown when hovering on their suposed position
Gwentptr-menu-mulligan inviible but tooltip ok.png

- board and hand working mostly ok: there I can see my cards endturn/pass turn button visually bugging (only words shown), music and fx sound ok, no leader nor card sound.

My laptop is one with seven 64(bit on), 4GB ram, intel HDgraphics (but no issue with the leaders 3d model, 1696 MB for graphic memory). I play in windowed mode (1280x720 or 1376x768), no premium animations, all in low settings.

Basically ingame the animation lag but it's playable, I had previously some visual issues in gwent (card illustration not appearing) but they were fixed eventually. I hope this will be the case this time. :)

Attachments

• Gwentptr-menu.png
    Gwentptr-menu.png
    871.9 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom