Open PTR feedback

+
Sugestions:

(From Reddit:) The game should automatically pass the turn (not the round) if there are no orders availiable.

Leaders should be highlighted when orders are available.

Remaining mulligans should be indicated somewhere on the leader/board.

Cards in hand should be more crisp and unaffected by the boards' darkness.

Status icons (locked, immune, resilience etc) should be larger.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, i tried the PTR now for myself, and honestly, i've never felt more lost in Gwent.

Also, the amount of cheap tactics there are now vastly surpasses of the old Gwent, or at least i havent found any counters.

Spamming artefacts is real BS - some players dont use any, so i dont want to stuff my deck with destroy artefacts cards... Then i find those that play several on a round and just boost/damage me every turn with nothing i can do.

Also, quite a few times i had the card i played have no effect. And i dont mean when it has an effect for only a certain row, and i placed it on another, that has happened so many times but at least those times i know it was my mistake.

OH MY GOD, THE FOLTEST DOUBLE BUFF IS REAL.

Also, make units that don't get their ability for the wrong row, glow red when they are about to be set on it.

Hey, I've clocked 22 hours and really enjoy and like where the game is going with Homecoming. I trust the team's judgment completely in sorting through the constructive feedback and implementing the changes needed. I'm so excited to play on release day!

I really like (a lot! can't write it all but main things):
  • The 2 rows and the card interaction with row placements; giving placement a meaning really needed to be addressed from old Gwent.
  • The overall look & design of the board is just remarkable! The cards look beautiful, leaders look good and fit well with the aesthetic.
  • A lot of fun interactions and engine cards and artifacts are a really nice addition.
  • Adding provisions is just perfect; it really helps me building decks and it became fun for me which is something I struggled with in old Gwent. I would watch people play and get some ideas for building; with this, I found it easy to find some ideas with the tags and then provisions helped hone in and direct my ideas.
I don't like:
  • The game is very slow at the moment. It takes too long to do all the moves required if you're running artifacts, you click your leader move, and then card placement - those interactions need to be tightened.
  • Games are very, very long. That's partly because people are inspecting everything, but I think it's mainly because there are so many card draws.
  • Being able to 'grab' the cards with the mouse and place them like in current Gwent would be nice. It feels weird in the Homecoming PTR just clicking and clicking.
  • Not being able to see how many cards are left in our deck.
  • The board could be brightened up just a little - just a little bit more would help make the amazing design pop a little bit.
Thank you all for your incredible work these past 6 months!

Some bugs I have found so far...

Cadaverine - Destroy self and all units whose power equals to this unit's charges.
It says destroy self, but the artifact doesn't get destroyed and you can reuse it multiple times, is it how it was intended to work?

Ivo of Belhaven - Melee: Damage an enemy by 2. Gain 1 Charge whenever you play a Witcher.
There is no Reach limitation in his description, however he works as if he had only a reach of 1.

Mangonel - Whenever you Reveal a card, damage a random enemy by 1.
If the oponnent has a Mangonel and I reveal cards during my turn, his Mangonel triggers its ability, even tho it states that you are the one that must reveal it.

I find villgefortz to be an issue: when I use him to summon a unit from my deck the unit does not activate it's deploy effect. That makes him useless. Is this a bug?

Same for if the opponent uses him on me. Tibor is also the same. The unit that is summoned does not give it's deploy effect making it not ounish the opponent at all for deleting one of my cards. I think it needs to go back to putting a card in the hand. If that is a concern due to hand limit than the carsds get their deploy effects.

So why bother introduce them in the PTR and WITH AN INTRODUCING VIDEO on top of that?

Well the PTR only has casual mode, so those cards would apply. Also its necessary to test the cards in PTR for any bugs it may or may not have.

I'm just going by an old statement they made. It is possible they changed their minds and they will be usable in ranked too, but we wont know until game released or they specifically tell us.

Having 2 standard bearers and arbaliest or xarthious will not trigger the standard bearer's ability
Post automatically merged:

Very annying to not see what cards are discarded in the "social pannel"

The reveal mechanism is so terrible! I mean, the old reveal is great and creative, standing out from all other card games. That reveal attracts me and makes me believe that I am playing a unique card game. But look at the reveal system now....what a mess man, you can find similar systems in other card games. What makes it worse is that even those games abandoned this kinda system. Why do you brilliant developers abandon the old but interesting reveal and apply the new system?
Here is the reason why I believe it is bad. Value of cards depends mostly on luck and rarely on skill. Yes putting more big units and doing the reveal after removing some small units from the deck can increase the possibility to get better value, I know, but it is just boring because we don't need brain, but pray. It might be interesting when firstly getting to know this kinda mechanism. But after sitting down and thought more, I assert that this is not healthy for the development of a competitive and brain-burning gwent.

Besides, I just knew a card named bearmaster. This card is sooooo unbalanced. We can get nearly 13 points from this card without thinking much because we have 12 beasts in the graveyard. And the cost is 4. What???? The only thing we do before getting this crazy value is putting as many good beasts as possible into a discard deck, and play the first round in order to accumulate beasts in the graveyard by discarding and directly playing. And remember to keep a beast or two in hand. Then in round 2 or 3 we can get tons of boost from a 4-cost bronze unit!!! This is too unbalanced and gameplay breaking. It beats most of the deck and most win conditions. I know we can scorch or reset, but who will bring those counter cards and keep them in round 3 only to counter this deck?? What if the opponent plays a different deck?? The recruit cost is precious and I will not bring a scorch only to beat this deck when I need other valuable gold cards to accomplish MY OWN NOT THAT STRONG COMBO.

Anyway I like the new gwent, especially the provision system, which enables players to build more unique decks based on one's opinion and gameplay habits. But the balancing right now is so bad, worse than I imagine. If the gameplay breaking cards and systems are fixed, modified and replaced, we will get a really interesting game, at least it will be a great fun for me.

Last edited:
My few cents:

The pros:
  1. Provision system is good. I really like how it polarizes deck into "good" and "bad" cards. It makes possible for a player to win round 3, even being 1 card down.
  2. Tactical Advantage is a cool feature
  3. I like how cards can fit into more than one archetype
  4. Handsize limit and draws per round are IMHO a good solution to dry-passing + tempo/CA problem.
  5. 3d Boards. I was skeptical in the beginning, but after 15+ hours I think they look amazing. Maybe a little too dark.
Mixed feelings:
  1. 25 deck size - it's a bit too consistent. Playing thinning Morvan deck, I ended majority of my games with 1 or 2 cards in deck. It feels good, but create some repetitiveness
  2. 2 bronzes limit - no opinion
  3. Two rows. - It's OK to have row locked abilities, but apart from that I haven't felt that row placement had much of an impact (apart from playing around Gigni).
My biggest problem is with the current build is a whole area of UX. The initial experience for a new player is terrible. It feels like that game punishes you for bad decisions but provides little information how to avoid that.

As a new player...:
  1. I would like to be warned, that when I pass with 7+ cards in hands I will mill some of my cards. I would like to know that before i press PASS button. (maybe show a warning?)
  2. If I play card, that does something when deployed on certain row, I would like to have it highlighted, so I don't drop it on a blank row and start to wonder why it doesn't work.
  3. I would like to get some information during round:
    1. how many mulligans I and my opponent have left
    2. how many cards are in both decks and graveyards
    3. what cards are banished
    4. what cards are in my deck (I would like to see them similar to graveyard but could be in a random order)
  4. I would like to know why some options are disabled:
    1. why orders turned red from green
    2. why some targets are greyed out while targeting (currently only immune targets are marked with icon, there is no indication when targets are out of reach)
  5. I would like to know why I can't end the turn after using Morvan leader ability. (IMHO the game should somehow encourage player to: either play a card or pass. It should also state somehow that playing card through leader ability does not count here)
  6. I would like to know what's going on when someone uses hero ability in general. (IMHO It would be more clear to have some UI connection between action, and result on the board, ie: Harald throwing projectiles at damaged targets, or Morvan playing card on his own).
  7. I would like to be able to retrace what happened during the turn. Current card history does not provide even the basic info - target of a card. Not to mention other implications of card played like what was buffed because of that etc.
I would also like to add +1 for all the complaints about game pace. It's not only the animation, but there are unnecessary pauses after actions like passing, end turn, order resolving. Not to mention micro server hiccups.

Apart from that the new gwent really fixes some fundamental problems, so good job :)

Last edited:
I find villgefortz to be an issue: when I use him to summon a unit from my deck the unit does not activate it's deploy effect. That makes him useless. Is this a bug?

Same for if the opponent uses him on me. Tibor is also the same. The unit that is summoned does not give it's deploy effect making it not ounish the opponent at all for deleting one of my cards. I think it needs to go back to putting a card in the hand. If that is a concern due to hand limit than the carsds get their deploy effects.

More like poor design. You can abuse summon onto strong units that have a negative ability like Tibor and Imperial Golem that way. For example Ihuarraquax in the melee row to summon Tibor and nullify the opposing unit's Deploy ability at once is insane.

Some bugs here:
Rot tosser can destroy Artifacts, even thou it specificly states "Unit"
Sometimes Naglfar doesnt place the second gold atop of your deck, for no apparent reason.

Just a few things I do not like: hovering over leaders makes them very bright for some reason; it is hard to see my own cards in my hand on opponents turn; no information about banished cards or cards left in deck; the pass coin is kind of strange looking and isn’t as satisfying as before; turns should auto end if there’s nothing left to do; leaders constantly grunting is annoying; animations need to be much faster.

I absolutely love this game though, and the artwork and feel is stellar! Thanks, great job!

Edit: My favorite leader is Adda aesthetically and lore wise. Her card art in premium is so amazing and I loved playing her cursed deck in old gwent! I was disappointed that in homecoming her ability seemed so basic, and essentially lacked any synergy with any NR bronzes, especially the new specters. I would love to be able to play her competitively with some of the old cursed feel.

Last edited:
(idea by V3nomEX on Twitch)
The Tactical Advantage artifact should be premium if you´re leader is premium.
This gives a reason for the premium leaders and there is no need for a Tactical Advantage card in the deckbuilder (just to transmute it)
Edit: If a premium Tactical Advantage is even planned

First off, I really love the order, artefact and provision mechanics - they seem to add an actual depth to decision making. Also, the new style is very nice (just a bit too dark) - I especially like the shadow of spears on the ground when playing as nilfgaard.

Now for the things I didn't like so much:
  • Why no card drag and drop? Am I the only one who dragged his cards?
  • Animations are super slow, the game feels unresponsive and slower than necessary (pre-HC gwent feels much smoother)
  • Obviously performance optimization for us notebook peasants - I had to disable premiums (which I didn't have to pre-HC)
    • Surprisingly I have more issues in the main menu than in-game
  • Highlight the ability row somehow (gold colour instead of blue was already suggested)
  • Card text needs some highlighting and I think replacing words Melee and Ranged with the row icons will make it easier to read
  • Make status icons (immune, locked, resilient,..) pop out a bit more
  • Boards are maybe too dark, would appreciate an option for a brighter/cleaner look
  • Auto end turn when no action available would be nice - look at MTG Arena
  • The fact I have to play card after activating ability is not very intuitive
  • No indicator if the leader was already used (or maybe I am blind)
  • Why put the timer on the side and not in the middle of the battlefield like before?
  • Some artefacts (*cough* Sihil *cough*) seem a bit too powerful - how about making them equipable - giving the player chance to counter strong artefact by focusing on killing its wielder (unit - maybe only gold unit for gold artefact?) ?
I hope this was somewhat helpful and I am looking forward to the 23rd!

Hi There!, Ok I'll try to make this easy..

GOOD THINGS

-The new Boards are amazing!, very detailed, very immersive, it feels unique and everything seems perfectly adapted to the world of The Witcher, my congratulations!.

-The new Interfaces (menu, Deck builder etc.) Perfect, simple but beautiful! (I have some suggestion for the deck builder but I'll leave it for another time).

-In Game interfaces, Cards art, Card visual FX much better! but not perfect yet... I think the game needs more eye-catching visual improvements, right now the effects are correct but not “astonishing” I would like that when using rain cards, the board is rain-soaked and constant, in general it's a good start, but I hope they improve it even more!.

-Artifacts!, really nice add to the game, I would love to see more of this in the future!.

-The Anti dry pass, everything to improve this aspect of the game has my total approval, at the moment looks correct.

-Leaders improvements and old cards resurrection, Thanks for that!.

BAD THINGS

-New? Game system: well guys... I don't know how to describe my disappointment with the game, but I'll try it... in general it seems that all the cards have lost all their powers, they look cheap, powerless creatures, cheap abilities (1 or 2 points of damage/boost/heal in most cases), in general the cards feel less powerful, less important, no satisfaction to play them at all.

-Devaluation of golden cards: What happened to the silver ones? Is the silver too expensive? (irony off). This is simple...before you had to think very well what kind of golden cards you should use in your deck (just 4 in deck) Now it does not matter, yo can have +8 while you complete the 165 (bread and wine?, really?), in general in Homecoming Gold = Silver.

-Few archetypes (and the same): it seems that now the damage abilities matters too much, the discard and graveyard archetypes are useless right now, which seems an imbalance at first sight between all the races, The new “Charge” arquetype looks nice, but it makes it very powerful against the old ones... in general all the arquetypes looks slower (except the charge thing), not surprises, not fun... sorry I would like to say the opposite, but I can't.. is slow and boring, more than ever! :(

-Few cards, simple mechanics, predectible: just need a few hours of PTR to know which cards will be in ALL decks: Witchers (Vasemir, Lambert, eskel), Phoenix, Dorregaray of Vole, Germain Piquant and Zoltans .. I have no doubt, and this says a lot about the diversity of the game right now.

So in general, Homecoming feels like a big nerf for me... except for the visual aspect and some related new mechanics there is not surprises, loses speed, still the low diversity of cards and archetypes, there are no "premium" cards, everything is broze or silver (there is not a “golden cards” feeling)... I think I expected much more and I found less of the same... If I have to choose between the current Gwent and the homecoming, I'm sorry but I prefer the old one.

But I have hope in the CDPR guys, I've been playing Gwent since the alpha and I still think that it has a lot of potential, the base is already created (a long time ago, you just messed up again), so I think it's possible make this game great again.... but there is a long way... this game urgently needs cards to have the diversity it deserves!... I hope you surprise us with a large amount very soon ... otherwise you have dug the gwent's grave. That's all Folks!

Love Homecoming so far. Just want to report some bugs and give some feedback :)

Cards with decriptions that do not match actual ability:
  • Ivo of Belhaven only has a reach of 1, this is not stated on the card.
  • Slave Driver is not worded correctly. Reads "Damage an enemy by 2. If an enemy is locked, damage it by 1 instead." Should be: "Damage an enemy by 2. For every locked unit increase damage dealt by 1."
  • Ronvid the Incessant seems to give 1 charge to other units (Whether its adjasent units or something else, I'm not certain of). This is not stated in the card text.
Other issues:
  • After having viewed the graveyard multiple times, sometimes I was unable to view my graveyard anymore for the rest of the game.
  • There is a bug where a match is found but it gets stuck at the loading screen. The first one to close the Gwent client loses the match, the other is the victor.
I guess the last one is a server side issue, since the exact same problem can be found in the live client (pre-HC).

Other feedback:

Probably been said already, but a way to see the amount of cards remaining in deck is currently missing.

EDIT:

Currently no way of seeing provision cost of cards, which seems wrong for learning the game in-game. Especially for beginners and people who dont play that much.

It's also a bit underwhelming that there are no visual differences between low provision golds and high provision golds. Makes the higher provision golds a bit bland in terms of visual impact. They should feel more powerful.

Last edited:
First of all, I really enjoy Homecoming so far and even with the current problems, I like the direction it's going overall and it makes me hopeful for the future.

I trill try to write something more in debt, but for now here are few of my thoughts:

• I think Usurper is creating a problem into the game by completely shutting down leaders. It discourage from playing decks where strategies depends on the effect of their leader. This is coming from a NG player and I did play Usurper at first, and I ended up switching for others because I just felt bad using him.

• I see many issues on how the mulligan numbers are on certain leaders right now. Eithne for example, being able to do 3x4 damages, is in my opinion a very strong ability, maybe tone it down to 3x3, or drop the number of mulligan to 1 or 2.
    The worst case here for me is Eredin. His ability is in my opinion way too good. I'm not even sure putting him at 1 mulligan would be enough, but that's just me. Having a buff + immune effect on call is a VERY dangerous effect to have access to in combination with certain cards or future cards. I really don't like the kind of abuse this will bring. We already see it on PTR with Ciri: Dash and Sabbath.

• Talking of immune. I don't think we should be able to use Renew on an immune unit in the graveyard. Or make the unit lose the immune tag when it goes in graveyard.

• Artifacts spam. It's hard to tell if we will ever really see a deck that abuse this well enough to be a real problem, but I'm not sure being able to put as many artifacts as possible in a deck should be possible. It makes for ridiculous games with no interaction for one side. It's not like everyone will run White Frost in their deck just to counter it.
    Having a limit of 4 or even 6 maybe, would leave room for good options and would add another layer of "complexity" in deck building by having to choose which ones you take.

• Sihil. The card can easily get out of control. I suggest putting a cap on it.

• In the deck builder screen: Pull out all the artifacts when we search the key word artifact. Right now we only see cards that affect artifacts.

• The trio Vesemir-Eskel-Lambert: Every decks runs them. They are way too cost efficient. I would suggest putting them at 7 provision each.

• Draws and hand limit: Part of me feel like a little change is needed, but the more I play, the more I'm not sure.

• Game feel a bit too slow. Actions and cards movements don't really feels great at the current speed.

That's all I have in mind for the moment.

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to be able to play the release version :) (And Thronebreaker!)

Last edited:
Well, i tried the PTR now for myself, and honestly, i've never felt more lost in Gwent.

Also, the amount of cheap tactics there are now vastly surpasses of the old Gwent, or at least i havent found any counters.

Spamming artefacts is real BS - some players dont use any, so i dont want to stuff my deck with destroy artefacts cards... Then i find those that play several on a round and just boost/damage me every turn with nothing i can do.

Also, quite a few times i had the card i played have no effect. And i dont mean when it has an effect for only a certain row, and i placed it on another, that has happened so many times but at least those times i know it was my mistake.
This is what I really don't get.

Rework? Okay, fine. Reworking with more exploits and fewer viable decks than the original game had?

Okay, just shoot me now, because I don't understand the design philosophy in pushing that much wholesale change on us.

IMO, a rework shouldn't mean going from scratch and not learning from mistakes/making the same ones as the original. Witcher 3 didn't have more flaws than Witcher 2, and Witcher 2 didn't have more flaws than Witcher 1? Why, then, does a Gwent rework have more exploits and loop holes than the original? If the rework is going to be that open-ended, then why even call it Gwent anymore?

Top Bottom