Open PTR feedback

+
I like that the coin flip happens before the muligans

Why is this such a short PTR? I happened to be moving this weekend so I only got in about 20-30 games. There should be a patch every 4 days! Not just 1 PTR! This game is not ready =(

coin flip is worse than ever. Advantage is basically reversed since you have to play at least 3 cards each round.
In short tactical advantage is fighting with the hand limit, and it is ruining the game. If the hand limit was higher than the amount of cards you draw r1 it would be better but im no longer in favor of the hand limit after playing the PTR. I thought it was good and on paper it is, but it doesn't seem to work in practice.

***you can't just give either player points on ANY round unless you give the other player the same amount of points on another round. The = signs of the equation of every round 1 do not equate. I hate this change so much.

Orders interfering with passing is completely destroying the entire purpose of 0 point cards or "phantom points" like most artifacts.

Provisions seem unnecessarily complex

Vanilla ciri is just a +silver spy, and ciri dash is not much different, and you can tutor it with decree, for real? Also both are way too good with combat advantage

Clash screen can't highlight enemy leader- annoying

Nilfgard mill cards. Just Stop printing them because people will try and make mill. Nothing good comes from it so just stop! Enough of this!!! ENOUGH I SAY!

Cannot cancel leader (woodland)

35 point grave hag is okay? And with Zeal???

axemen/"greatswords" are overtuned partially because of the natural length of round three.

I wish I had time to Play some of the other new archetypes but i was honestly struggling to find a deck i wanted to play after deathwish and axemen.

Stop arbitrarily changing archetype and card names its just clumsy at this point.

Audio bug, blasting static X.X how many days before release?

Bridge troll and fiend are both too blue. I keep clicking the wrong one since their both 4s. Twice in the game I made this note on

Leaders feel clumsy, along with a lot of cards. Its annoying that leaders don't have bodies. It doesn't need to be the leader maybe they could have a "lieutenant" card built into the deck?

I hate usurper.

***capped mulligan are a nightmare
-cynthia is way too good

***manual end turn is a nightmare, and last card from hand manual pass is bad. If you have no action to take why make it manual? There's even an example on LIVE as to almost exactly how these cards SHOULD work, the NG spys card impera enforcer.

*row numbers on the right is horrible

Card in hand feel very unorganized

Artifacts make deckbuilding seem really clumsy. Too many avenues to pursuit, impossible to leverage on first impression after 30 odd games.

*row specific units with only 1 row ability are a nightmare. Nobody wants to include a 2 point whispess or avalac'h to put it on the wrong row

Why destroy so many healthy archetypes? I am sadness =(

Gwent on live is not broken. This patch is trying to fix things that do not need attention, and is failing to resolve even old problems, if not worsen, like "axemen". The more I learn about homecoming the more disappointed I get. I wish we could have the graphics of homecoming with the mechanics of Live. It feels so bad that I have almost nothing good to say =( I wish I had more time with the PTR.

I think animations needs to be fixed. Also, a tooltip like the previous board is good for indicating which one is melee and ranged row. It helps a player to get an easy understanding of melee and ranged row. The board too dark. How many cards left in deck tooltip would be nice too. Also, usurper should be a card I think or deploy only for one round/give him random effect at the start of the round. Awesome job on fixing spies and boring GS/Consume meta. The mulligans feature feels really good too. Northern realms need little bit boost. For some reason, NR always getting weak plays and such. IDK why. Maybe all developers in cdpr love Nilfgard and make them all OP! And Emhyr is a really bad leader. Also, leaders like woodland,adda,eist in my opinion needs rework. Monsters are amazing right now. Not sure about the woodland guy. He is just Harald but boosing a card in hand instead of 10 damage. In my score radar
1) Monsters
2)NG
3)SK
4)NR

There are also some bugs on cards like siren boosts non-deathwish units, Dethmold is bugged, Thaller deploy don't work, not sure on kaedwani cavalry(for me it did not remove charges), roach once gets revealed won't spawn when you play gold unit. Tibor for the cost of it is too much. His cost should be around at least 12+. And there are lot more.

My main issues are that you should be able to see how many cards are in your graveyard and deck.***** This is absolutely essential in my opinion*****,

Also, some of the animations are just too slow
the blacklisting mechanic should be reimplemented.

1) In my opinion this is kind of a step into the wrong direction. I really liked the way gwent used to play.
The new board does not feel as good as the old one, it looks tedious and is way to dark.
The game feels clunky to play, maybe it's because it has gone slower or something.

I would love to see some more thinning and less randomness.

2) I was really bothered by this soft row locked cards. There should be some indication in the Line color when you place them, that they will have no effect on that particular row.

3) Some Leaders feel overpowered in comparsion with other leaders

4)
You should see how many cards are left in the deck and are in graveyard. Doesn't have to be visible all the time, but for example when you hover the mouse over the deck/graveyard

5) Xavier Moran: Tooltip says something like whenever is boosted, boost by extra 2. This does not happen if he is boosted in hand

6)
Too many cards seem to be about boosting or damaging units, especially many bronze units across all the factions seem to be too similar. I wish the artifacts at least were something more than do 1 damage/boost 1 unit. I want more unique effects.

Last edited:
Aside from techincal issues, I really like the new Gwent. Deck building is really good and although it's sad to see the siege row gone, I can see how it makes sense from a gameplay standpoint. I still think two cards per turn would be better, especially considering the handlimit and the ability to dry your opponent of cards, but over all the game seems fun.

I played the PTR for 12 hours. Not long enough to grasp fully all the things especially about card balances etc. but here's my impressions. Most of these are probably discussed already and/or are probably worked on already.

First of all I'd like to say that my first impression was disappointed and negative, probably because I've played Gwent over 1000 hours and this new version was so different, I had to relearn what the cards do and the game/cards seemed at first glance to be simplified (even though with added complexity of rows/orders etc.), which I don't want Gwent to be. That seems to be common reaction with old Gwent players from what I've read. But I did start to like it after playing more.

- New loading image with Geralt and Ciri is great, also the board visuals and leaders look amazing
- Main menu looks kind of bare-bones like it's missing something, the Dandelion image doesn't fit the feel of the other visuals
- Board is just a bit too dark
- Deckbuilder is ok, but search function doesn't find some key words like artifact cards, also the slider is clunky and doesn't always seem to work
- Card text should separate the glossary (what different effects mean etc.) with different font or something, so it didn't look like all the same text, would make it more readable
- Lock and immunity symbols are too small. If you think of the people watching the game locked cards can go unnoticed. The old lock animation was great, I wish it was the same here
- I'd like the row numbers to align with the rows, now it's harder to keep track of. Small thing, but would make the board situation more easily readable for players and viewers.
- Is there a way to see if leader ability is already used? If so, then I somehow missed it.
- The taunt button or whatever it's called is too small. When I first played I accidently used my leader ability when wanting to taunt the opponent.
- Also I wish the coin had different coloring when it's opponents turn like it did in old Gwent, now it's not so easy to tell whose turn it is (also keeping in mind people watching the game). Also adding a little color wouldn't be too bad because now the game is kind of brown on brown.
- Banishing cards should have it's own animation. For example when Viper Witcher banishes cards from a deck, it looks like the card just goes back into the deck
- You should see how many cards are left in the deck and are in graveyard. Doesn't have to be visible all the time, but for example when you hover the mouse over the deck/graveyard
- I don't like the blue line when you play cards, I'd like to be able to drag and drop the card on board, also clicking on the card locks it and I misplayed couple times when I didn't unlock the card when I decided to play a different card
- I'm not fan of the artifacts, for example the mastercrafted sword seems to me just a siege unit that cannot be locked/targeted normally. I'd rather have some super siege unit than magic sword that ticks damage on it's own. Maybe it's just the artwork that doesn't seem fitting. I'm not sure. Something about those are off and it looks like artifact removal should be now included in every deck. Like playing Iris in every deck to counter artifacts and weather. I think artifacts should be more different from other card types. Not just another boost/damage unit card, but with immunity.
- I didn't like the 10 card limit at first, but after playing more I think it might be ok way to deal card advantage/tempo problem. Not 100% sure about that still.
- Also was skeptical of the 2 bronzes limit, but because of more draws/mulligans it seems to be working ok. Still doesn't feel as amazing to pull just one other Mahakam Volunteer/Queensguard from the deck than to pull two more. Maybe pulling 8 cursed knights makes up for that ;)
- Too many cards seem to be about boosting or damaging units, especially many bronze units across all the factions seem to be too similar. I wish the artifacts at least were something more than do 1 damage/boost 1 unit. I want more unique effects.
- Seems like Keltullis is the new Sabbath and Eredin immunity is the new mandrake
- I already see Keltullis and Sihil being the new busted cards that you have to tech against (I still like crazy, powerful cards, so maybe increase provision instead of nerfing abilities too much?)
- And yes, the game is a bit too slow now.
- Turns should end automatically if nothing can be done anymore. It would speed up the game. Many times I just waited for opponent to play when I didn't realize it was still my turn.

Overall I'd say that it left me wanting to play more after the initial shock. Also wish there were more cards. The card pool seems to be smaller now. I know there's expansions and stuff planned. Can't wait and thanks for the opportunity to try the game before release. I hope other people having negative first reaction give it some time to getting used to. Even if I'm still not 100% sure about all the changes are for the best. We'll see.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:
- Is Ivo of Belhaven supposed to not be able to attac enemy units in the ranged row? It dosen't say so in his description and it makes him alot weaker.
- Eithne feels really strong with a +3 mulligan and potential 12 points of damage over 3 rounds.
- I'm not happy with the artifacts, because they are very oppressive and make gameplay binary: if you have enough artifact removal in hand, you win - if not, you lose (especially against sihil + caretaker). It would be better to have their effects on weak units so you can target them and destroy them in more than one way.
- I think it would be nice to have more units with armor, immune or some other kind of shield (quen!! ;D), because of the high amount of untis that simlpy deal damage. It's really frustrating to not be able to execute your gameplan, because your untis die all the time. It's very hard to play with an engine deck: you don't have alot of tutors anymore, units with cool abilities have very low strength and your opponent can kill them without any trouble. It worries me, that we could end up having only control/removal decks everywhere and no viable option for a fun engine deck.

Some thoughts:
- Is Ivo of Belhaven supposed to not be able to attac enemy units in the ranged row? It dosen't say so in his description and it makes him alot weaker.
- Eithne feels really strong with a +3 mulligan and potential 12 points of damage over 3 rounds.
- I'm not happy with the artifacts, because they are very oppressive and make gameplay binary: if you have enough artifact removal in hand, you win - if not, you lose (especially against sihil + caretaker). It would be better to have their effects on weak units so you can target them and destroy them in more than one way.
- I think it would be nice to have more units with armor, immune or some other kind of shield (quen!! ;D), because of the high amount of untis that simlpy deal damage. It's really frustrating to not be able to execute your gameplan, because your untis die all the time. It's very hard to play with an engine deck: you don't have alot of tutors anymore, units with cool abilities have very low strength and your opponent can kill them without any trouble. It worries me, that we could end up having only control/removal decks everywhere and no viable option for a fun engine deck.
get Xavier Lammens All GY Problem solved LOL

Sooooo, let's get started with my feedback.
I will try to organise all of my ideas (and sorry for my english !)

PROS :
I have sometime enjoy the game, and it feel like you need to really go into it to see the interest. I was more interested at the end of my 5 hours play than at the beginning, where everything was looking weird.

Graphics :
First of all, the overall graphics in the menu and deckbuilding are great. Very cool colors and animations, with big pictures and all. I will speak about the board later, in Cons...

Gameplay :
I played only 5 hours, and I was begining to see some interesting combos, and deckbuilding was pretty cool, even if it was easier in the previous gwent, due to the simple restrictions (6 silvers 4 golds...). Order is a good mechanic and let you do a lot of thing in your turn.

CONS :
I have more cons than pros, for now.

Graphics :
The boardgame, like others said, is too dark, and I really dont like the 3D models (without shadows, they are realtime rendered when all the board is in precalculated i suppose). It feels like a little argument between two people, not a real battlefield, sorry.

UI :
The UI is not that good too. You move the numbers and pass button to the right, and we have to go far away from our hero to click on them. The "auto pass" feature is in need, and the numbers need to be more present. We also need to know how many cards are left in our deck and graveyard.
The UI of deckbuilding is difficult to learn at the begining, with somes bugs (is ok), but the provisions system feels weird at the beginning. I was starting to understand it, and adjust my decks with cards number and provisions, but it feels uncomfortable for a long time.

Gameplay :
Here is a big part. The game feels slower and feel like a mobile game, with all the dmg/boost effect that are less interesting than before. I said order is a good mechanics, but Charge doesn't seem really "in place". A LOT of units who have Order have only one Charge, so they can use their ability one time, and that's all. It's frustrating.
You can't thin and tutor all of your deck (or I missed that?), and that's what I LOVE in actual Gwent, so sad you can't do this anymore, that was THE BIG difference between Gwent and other TCG, that you have to search for ressources in your deck, you don't draw them (or eventually). That's what I miss the most.
Why do you swap capacities and card artwork, if you let the capacity in the game ? For all gwent players, it's just painful to see known capacity on a new card, it feels weird.
I encounter some Scoiatel "traps/artifact only" deck. It's horrible. They play aritfact you can't destroy with all your "do dmg" units, and they just play 0 points during a lot of time, just destroying your cards. It's not a good archetypes you can let in this game, I think.

To conclude, I will say something. I made myself a reflexion, during PTR. You give us all the cards, so we can test things. Even with all these cards, a lot of people manage to have slow, not interesting or flavorless decks. Let's imagine a new player who have only few cards. It will be pain in the ass to play with only bronze dmg/boost cards during weeks of months, and wait to have 1 or 2 good cards to make a deck a little bit better. But without tutors, you can play without see your good cards at all, during a lot of game.
Hope you will see my post, and change things. Actually, I prefer way more the old Gwent, because of the tutoring/thining system than make this game unique.
Have a good day and sorry for the long post :)

A feedback or any kind of reply regarding all the posts in this thread by cdpr would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping they are responding although it maybe hard to find the right words with the mainly negative feedback.

Anybody else, like me, eagerly waiting for any form of news?

Some more thoughts:
- The board and the leaders are a little bit too dark. Also, the darkend screen that tells you if you won or lost the round blocks the view of these cool animtations of the leaders reacting to your vitcory/defeat.
- I would like to have a more obvious effect on cards that are locked (like the old one with cains) and mabe a symbol on cards in hand with rowlocked abilities, so you don't play them in the wrong row by accident.
- It would be nice to be able to play a card via drag and drop. Espacially with cards like Trial of the Grasses, there you have to click twice (first on the bord and then on the card you want to buff) - that feels counterintuitive.
- Although I like the new mulligan system (more mulligans for certain leaders), I find it very hard to play with a leader like Usurper and have only 2 mulligans for the entire game (or 3 when going first). Because there are not a lot of tutors and you can't really thin, your draws will be very inconsistent. I would like to test the game with an overall higher amount of mulligans (like 3-4 for cards like ursurper and even more for other leaders).
- When Viper Witcher is banishing a card it looks like the card is put back in the deck. There should be a different animation.
- It would be nice to have some sort of visual indication if it's your turn or not. The coin is a bit too small and inconsoicuous for that and I don't like that your cards get pulled back while it's not your turn.
- The numbers are a bit too small and it's confusing that they don't align with their respective row. Also, there should be a counter for cards in deck and graveyard.
- The 3D models take a lot of room on the bord, I would prefer them to be smaller and have the numbers and the coin more visible instead. Or maybe remove these tree stumps (?) on the right of each row that highlight but don't do anything exept for showing a text about which effect is on the row (without explaining the effect). That's unessessary because we have the menu for played cards and wonderful visual effects for that.

35 point grave hag is okay? And with Zeal???

It doesn't have Zeal. To do so, you need to run Petri's Philter in your deck. Still, I find the card super OP. The arachas spawned by the passive Arachas Queen ability should be doomed.

UI
ingame:
-overall a bit to dark (I used a reshade mod to increase the gamma)
-cards in hand and at the corners too blurry
-tooltips on row icons don't show duration of weather effects and description of fog was wrong (maybe place a counter directly on the icons, like on "order" cards)
-bigger icons for immune, lock, resilience and counters
-indicator somewhere (maybe under coin), that there are still effects to trigger this round
-deploy effects don't state they only trigger when played from hand (example: Tibor doesn't trigger deploy effects)
-add card counter on deck
-increase button size on confirmations screens, like mulligan
-faster animations
-drag and drop cards on the field
-add buffs like immune to the card text, like when using Eredin on a card
-better distinction with discard effects and "moving" cards like Derrans effects
-add option menu for sounds in match
-add shortcut button for taunts like middle mouse button before

deckbuilder:
-used cards in deckbuilder hard to differ (maybe gray out more)
-let us sort by power, rarity (bronze/gold), artifacts, special cards in deck builder

gameplay:
-when placing units with effects on wrong row you can can't deny (like Dwarven Skirmisher)
-"order" in NR feels too clunky, maybe reduce the amount of "order" cards or make them more rewarding when going off (overall powerlevel of NR bronzes feels a bit too weak)

cards/balance/bugs:
-Ronvid: summon from GY doesn't boost on deploy (bug?)
-Usurper: feels REALLY unhealthy (maybe add something like -1 mulligan and -2 charge for enemy leaders)
-killing units with weather triggers Arachas Queen effect (maybe intended?)
-Eithne: a bit too strong with so much mulligan and 4 pings every round
-Wild Hunt Rider: loud white noise when playing on the board
-Hattori: wrong tooltip (says "order", but triggers on "deploy")

audio:
-balance the volume of effects, music and nature sounds (like birds)
-give legendaries a bigger impact with sounds
-leaders making weird sounds (mumbling) when passing or ending turn
-some taunts say not the thing they should

--
I was skeptical in the beginning, but the more I played the more I enjoyed it and I think this is the step in the right direction :)

Hello all,

After playing a good amount of time this weekend I can complete my first impressions:
General impression:
I was skeptical at first with Homecoming, because of all of the changes you brought to the game. But I've warmed up to it. There is still some tidbits here and there that needs to be looked into, such as the hand limit which makes the first two rounds rarely relevant. But I welcome the changes and feel this is the right direction.

Design/Art:
Like I previously said the boards are awesome, but I hope in the future we can get boards with different scenery (castles, caves, etc…).

Maybe cards with abilities triggering on specific rows should have a little indicator somewhere (like in old gwent when cards where restricted) ? I get you guys changed the design of the cards so that it could be cleaner and really show the art and I really dig this new design, but a small icon isn’t much to ask for is it ? :) So many dumb missplays could be avoided thanks to that.

Cards/Balance
NEUTRAL:
- Mastercrafted Spear is the definition of a bad card. It's so cheap it's a staple in every deck and at the same time it's not fun to play and so anoying to deal with. At the very least its provision cost needs to be way higher than 5.
- Phoenix is featured in most decks of the PTR, which is saying that it is way too strong. The ability in itself is fine, but its provision cost needs to be higher than it is.
- Eskel, Lambert and Vesemir is in every deck of the PTR, this mean their provision cost is not high enough.

NORTHERN REALMS:
Overall I’m starting to warm up to the Order/Charges abilities of NR, but my general feeling is that they are slightly underpowered. They can be countered easily so they’d need to be buffed up a little compared to the other factions.
- Adda is basically a free removal and that’s ok , while I would prefer if the leaders could promote/empower specific archetypes, like the Specter archetype ?
Because the Specter synergies are great, every unit as a purpose and Sabrina is finally playable thanks to it. Definitely looking forward to cards that can expand this archetype !
- Foltest is in a pretty good spot, I like him a lot (number of mulligans, the ability) to me he is the example of a balanced leader. And he is fun to play too ! :)
- Henselt: I hope he is working as intended and the tooltip is wrong, because except for the 2 Mulligan, he is pretty cool. With Blue stripes, Pavetta and Operator you have all the tools you need to make him work. Maybe a little too well though… particularly with the cursed knights. Maybe he would need some restrictions or ways to open counter-play.
NOTE: Can’t wait for Radovid to return, the guy went on a vacation in Africa taking all the armors of the Northern Realms with it, the bastard !

NILFGAARD:
- Usurper & Locks: Why don’t you like fun ? Really this guy feels both cancer and BM. The number of archetypes and decks he can counter on his own is too damn high. He really needs a rework otherwise fun and balanced leaders like Arachas Queen will never be played. Also, the “Lock archetype”, if we can call it that, feels cheap and is not fun to play and of course even less to play against. In my opinion, these cards deserve a better ability. Also, locks should unlock too, because only Aguara and Ale can unlock right now, which is completely unbalanced considering the amount of (cheap) lock cards.
- Calveit and Morvran feel good, maybe the number of mulligan are a bit low but these two have strong and balanced abilities.
- I did not test Emhyr though, his ability did not appeal to me, it is boring for a leader to have the same ability as the old Cockatrice… poor Emhyr.

SCOIA’TEL:
- Eithne & Traps: I messed around with traps and they feel quite good. Looking forward to more cards that feature traps. Eithne on the other hand feels way too overpowered. With 4 damage available in each round, she can clear any engine you throw at her and set up scorch/igni like no one else. Maybe her ability could be balanced with 2 Charges and Deal 2 damages? She would still be a beast but that would limit her options at least.
- Francesca is cool, I had fun with her and an Elf deck with waylay, but 1 mulligan is clearly too severe in my opinion. Give the girl at least 1 more mulligan point, she deserves it !

MONSTERS:
- Arachas Queen seems to be in a good spot. She enables both the Consume and the Deathwish archetypes, blurring even more the line between the two which is interesting for deck building. To me the deathwish and the consume archetypes seem to be the most “October 23rd ready” of all other archetypes in the game, nothing to touch there. :)
- Eredin giving both a boost + Immune is really strong, the boost feels fair and synergise well with the other wild hunt unit, but the Immune might get problematic. I only lost one match because of it (did not face much Eredin that play their ability in round 3) , but then I thought about what I could have done to counter it and started to think about it for every other deck/faction. There’s a very very limited amount of cards that can deal with it. So this is why I think that giving Immune is fine on a Gold Card, but might be overpowered on a leader.

Can’t wait for October 23rd ! :)

Red

Sorry for posting too many messages...
But I believe what I am going to say might be important for a healthy gwent. Now drawing 3 and 3 is way too much, making one game boringly long, and also weaken the concept of card advantage too much.

Why not change like this, draw 3 cards in r2, and only 1 card in r3. I saw someone said drawing 2 and 2, but here is my reason why I think 3 and 1 is better:
gwent needs short rounds if players want, otherwise the game will be boring, like everyone's goal is to play a super long round and whoever finally stand more engines probably win. That is not healthy and the play style will not be dynamic. Even when we consumes all of our cards in r2, the length of r3 is still too long.

If we draw only one card in r3, players can play short round 3, making the control of the whole game important for both players. I believe I dont need to explain more. Or draw 4 and 1, at least give us a chance to play short rounds.
Post automatically merged:

Henselt is trash if its 1 unit only. You have to bleed him 1st/2nd round

No, he is not, remember we dont need a extra turn to activate his ability. He plays a unit within a turn and give it zeal!

Last edited:
Some impressions:

- As many have said before games feel tad to slow.
- The hand size limit feels a bit akward at times since it allows you to go many card down and still end on even for r3
- Neutral cards overall seems to be to good. Good example of this are the witchers, they are in every single deck that i have played. They thin the deck give good points and are cheap in provisions. The game can become rather dull if neutral cards become to good and are included in all decks.
- Some boards are too dark. I think NR is the best as it looks good and is brighter than the others.
- Plenty of effects still seems missing like epedemic has the burning effect.
- some leaders feel to good compared to others. ST is best example as eithne seems to outmatch all other leaders. Either nerf her or buff the other leaders to be more competative.

There was something to be said for the simplicity of play in the previous version of Gwent, you played a card and its abilities each turn and then end the turn automatically. The addition of Order changes the flow of the game. Certainly Order does add a significant amount of design space so it could very well be worth the additional infrastructure built in the game. But more could be done to move the game along more quickly and help players understand the board state. If a card has been played and all available Orders have been played, the turn should end automatically as before. If the turn doesn't end, that should be a clue there's something to be done yet. Still, there should be more clear indications which Order effects can be used this turn especially with Leaders.

I feel that Order may be overused in this set of cards, some decks and boards can have several Orders to go through each turn which can make the game tedious. I see that end of turn effects have not been completely supplanted by Orders, with cards like Reinforced Trebuchet. There is room for both automatic end of turn effects and Orders. Still automatic end of turn effects are being underused. An easy example is Yennifer: Conjurer being an Order with Cooldown: 1, even while it requires no targets. Another version of this deal damage to a highest unit effect (I don't recall the card name), is an end of turn effect even though it could require a target in the event of a tie. There isn't an inherent problem with random targeting and one method isn't categorically superior to another, both should be used where appropriate and certainly iterations of cards could use each over time. An appropriate mix could keep Order inputs from becoming overwhelming. Position based effects as in the previous version of Gwent can also ease the burden of input. Compare old Vran warrior and new Slyzard. There is a functional difference, but is it worth the additional input? Incidentally, positional effects including old Vran warrior, offer more interaction from the opponent.

Which brings me to the new positional effects, the row effects and reach. While there is potential strategic value, row effects are actually cumbersome in practice and that potential may not be often realized. Sure, we'll probably get used to it, but there are ways to make it easier. For example, on a Deploy with Reach, it should be possible to cancel/undo (as with the current client) if you can't reach your target. Some cards have both a Melee effect and a Ranged effect, and that's great. But others only have one effect. Cards with only one row ability have little functional difference from row locked units, except the potential for error. Those cards ought to at least have a strength buff on the row not getting its special ability. Even a strength value on par for the recruit value could be appropriate, or slightly below par to pay for the option of the ability. I'd expect the ability would generally be more desirable anyway. Additionally, this could make high provision cards with situational effects or tutoring effects more playable. For example, Avallac'h: Sage and Dandelion: Vainglory could have a strength buffing effect in the row their special ability isn't on.

In the same vain as making available Orders more clearly communicated, I think icons like Lock and Resilience could be more clear, like the way they were in the previous client. I also feel like information like point totals, rounds won and the end turn button are very crammed. For whatever if it's worth, I don't think I favor the 3D Leaders, I feel like they use up too much space on the board and don't feel like they are Gwent game objects even while most of them are because of their Orders.

Oh my, I've said so much. I know it all sounds critical but I've always believed in Gwent, I thought it was already the best card game out there and each of them has its peaks and valleys, here's to more peaks to come!

Copied from a Google Doc, hope formatting is fine

Gwent HC PTR Feedback

Bugs
  • Had a disconnect bug once where no one could do anything after time ran up nothing happened
  • Unable to reconnect despite perfectly fine internet connection once
  • Siren can boost non-deathwish units (wild hunt navigator)
  • Wrong text (numbers?) on slave driver
  • Not all cards read default (copy, strength) [e.g. NEKKER]
  • Tactical Advantage shows a white layer stating 0 power
  • Was not able to mulligan in multiple games containing Usurper (despite having a mulligan left)
  • Multiple cards with Order were able to be triggered right away multiple times, without Zeal
  • Hefty Helge does is not a deploy, but apparently order and immune
  • Incinerating Trap triggers on repeating deploy effects
  • Pitfall Trap blocks Deploy effects (intended?)
  • Cantarellas card text is not 100% conform with her actual ability
  • Phoenix hatchling isn't doomed
  • Henselt plays ALL units from deck AND hand

General Feedback
  • Tactical Advantage should stay on board for later rounds if not used yet
  • Searching “elf” in the deckbuilder should not include “self”, &similar
  • The game should not assume that multiple charges of an ability will be used right after another
  • Removing CA spies was very good - coin flip solution is OK for now
  • The basic game plays great, it just needs a few more low cost bronzes, specifically with synergies instead of generally good effects.
  • After 3 days of testing Discard Skellige seems really strong because 1. unremovable ping-effect on the leader and 2. Mulligans hardly mattering for the deck
  • Cards really need row indicators beside their row locked abilities
  • Deck Reveal Archetype is too RNG depended. Maybe weaken the cards a bit but have them always use top card, then actually shuffle back?

Nilfgaard Reveal is an archetype based on RNG that needs to be removed. Every single mechanich is better than previous gwent, and more interesting, but the changes to reveal were just bad and unnecessary

Top Bottom