Open PTR feedback

+
Hails CD ProjektRed,

I just got done putting in about 20 to 30 hours into the Homecoming PTR. Firstly I wanted to mention that the game is incredible, everything about it reminds me very much of The Witcher universe. The graphics are amazing and the overall vibe of the game is dark and grimy which I thoroughly enjoy. I can’t wait for the fully realized Gwent Homecoming to come out. I have always put faith in you all and believe you will end up making Gwent amazing. I wanted to give feedback about what I have experienced in the game. I am sure I will be repeating what was said in many other posts about the Open PTR. I will be mostly focusing on the leaders for my feedback:

Northern Realms:

Foltest: I really love his ability and mulligans he is a perfectly balanced leader in my eyes.
Adda: The 8 damage removal is great to have since control is so important in HC, I think it would be cool if you she could boost all specters and then do the dmg at the same time. I think this would give the bronze specter units some survivability.
Henselt: Another great power that doesn’t need to be changed, the mulligan values he has is reasonable for his ability.
King Demavend III: I really like his ability, I think he should have more mulligans (around 4)

Nilfgaard:

Usurper: I know his ability is super controversial but I love it, I guess to make it more balanced he has one charge to lock the leader’s ability in a round of his choosing, compared to the whole battle. With this change he should go to 3 mulligans compared to one.
Emyr: I think maybe allowing him to reset an enemy unit and giving the reset damage to boost an allied unit would make it more useful. I think he should have about 4 mulligans.
Calveit: I think his ability is great no change with it.
Voorhis: I think for his ability when he draws and plays a card that is it, I don’t think he should be playing 2 cards.

Skellige:

Bran: I think his ability is perfect no change.
Harald: Another ability that doesn’t need to be changed this very true to his card even in the early days.
Crach an Craite: Another ability that I think doesn’t need to be changed
Eist: Another great ability that needs no change.

Monsters:

Unseen Elder: I think his ability works well no change I would give more mulligans though.
Arachas Queen: I think there should be a limit to the amount of drones she spawns, it should not be infinite. I played decks against her and there was no way I could even get ahead.
Eredin: I think he should be able to do the ability but the unit boosted is banished after use.
Woodland Spirit: I think to make him work with consume decks he does the 10pt boost but also spawns two wolves and crows in random rows that are 1 point a piece.

Scoia’Tael:

Eithne: Her ability it broken and needs to be nerfed, I think she should start with 4 shots (1st Round), 3 (2nd round), and then 2 (3rd round). I think this still makes her viable but not overpowered.
Filavandarel: I think his ability is good, but I think he should boost all units in hand and deck like old Foltest, to offset this maybe give him 2 to 3 mulligans instead.
Broover: His ability works fine I would not change it.
Francesca: I think her ability is fine as well.

Additional Feedback:

Artifacts: I think this is a great new idea to the game but it has been abused in Open-PTR. I think of two ideas of how to make it not as abusable. One is give the artifact hit points so it can be destroyed or killed with pings the other idea is when an artifact is played a unit needs to be played at the same time. This gives the opponent a chance to interact instead of needlessly getting damaged without an artifact destroying card in hand.

Weather: I think this needs more love too, the weather cards are too expensive provision-wise so it doesn’t make sense to put bronze ones in deck. I think making the provision’s cheaper for the bronzes would work or give all the old silver mages a weather ability ranged, and a different ability melee.

These are the thoughts I had about the Open-PTR for Gwent Homecoming, hopefully you will find my feedback helpful. Continue making great games and I am extremely excited to see what the final product will be!

Regards, Ryan (New Hampshire, USA)

List of questionable? cards for today. (after 3 days gameplay)
Gwent PTR

Disclamer:
I don't pretend on truth,
so please, be patient, there are only my thoughts. And yes, i've filled form already :)

1.Questionable cards Shortlist:

Lowerpowered cards: for it's food cost or card power:
-------------------
Lyrian Cavalry
Ida Amen,
Avalac'h sage, Dandelion Poet,
Isengrim's Council
Triss: butterfiles
Mandragora

Overpowered (for it's card abilities or food cost)
-------------------
Bomb Heaver,
John Natailis,
Sihil,
Lacerate (!)
Spores (!)

Random cards:
-------------------
Gascon as it is currently.
Angouleme
Count Caldwel
-----------

2. When will be good perfomance? With all enabled premium cards perfomance
is Not good, even on 2017 year bought, new notebook on middle video settings.

Longread:
if you curious, or need more details, why i have write specificly that cards, (not others)
please read below:

Underpowered cards:
===============================

Destroy artifact cards.

Ida Amen:
----------------
4 power and 8 food

destroy artifact or boost unit by 3
I believe the card is to week for gold card with 8 food cost.

Lets search: on good alternative:
For scoia'tael we have 5 food and 4 power Vrihedd Sappers
For elf-build deck is the best alternative,

for others deck here: even more powerfull in this terms card:

Bomb Heaver (!):
----------------
most of decks with i played for 3.5 days, used this card.
Bomb heaver is powerfull and cheap 4 power, destroy artifact and only 6 food.
I think this card is overpowered.
On the other hand, ida amen is under developed.

Avalac'h sage
----------------
13 food (maximum) and give bronze or gold kard by
2 power and play gold or bronze artifact from the deck
-1 scrolling card from the deck, but
in current situation, is not That useful
because extra cards are banished on each round start.

So, Not bad card, maybe should cost 11 food

Lyrian Cavalry
----------------
2 power 4 food.
don't live too long, probably should be 3 power.

Dandelion Poet (beloved champion in current meta)
----------------
13 food cost: scrolling deck for one card,
but same issues as Avalac"h

Lets look on Gold Item card 10 food

Isengrim's Council
----------------
Not bad card, but much weaker as Commanders Horn
because of random (!)

It Should cost less food or provide: any dryad, any dwarf or elf.

Triss: butterfiles
----------------

for 12 food Triss promises Randomly (!) boost card in your hand.
Hardplay for 12 food, should cost less,
or may ask for game designer: please return "good old Triss butterfiles",
she was not easy to play, but defenetly good card.

Mandragora
-----------------
Not useful card for its cost. as we have current Champion: "Spores for 5 food"
same effect for much lest cost.
Mandragora sould be give weaken - strengen by 2.
Removing strengthen effect from the game is a big question for now.

PS: have you notice totally mess up with swap cards on each round start?
Sometimes game offer mulligan cards, some times not. Not good at all.
i think this is bug.

Owerpowered cards:

John Natailis
-----------------
Gain zeal for All order cards with 6 power.
- play John.
give to drink Mahakam Ale on John.
Win.

Maybe it's overpowered for 9 food, should cost 11 food
or have same power as Priscilla.

Lacerate
-----------------
i believe it's overhelming powered for 7 food.
Let's compared to Zoltan with Duda Agitator
pretty the same for 11 food.

And Merigold Hairstorm is not so good compared to this card.

Lacerate Sould be changed (!), maybe cost 9 food.

==================
Dragonballs Chamion (!)

Spores
-----------------
Heal an ally or reset an enemy. This good pack we get for Only for 5 food. The

same as Leader Emhyr.
Even if to remove healing ally (in future);
this card still be very strong (sometimes stronger than Scorch)
Again: removed strength weaken effect from the game: it is a big question.

"Random cards" (hardcore gameplay)

Angouleme:
----------------
It should be good useful card, Should be.
(remove artifact from opponent deck, good idea)
But is not (in real game)
If player want to win 60%+, he probably would'not add random like this in deck.
Should be more power, or cost less food.

Even her "friend" Gascon with random power is better:)
Boost self from 0 to 11 power
At least we could calculate "good chances" to play good this card is 5 of 10.

But random func can guarantie that Gascon may boost himself 10 10 1 1 1 2 1 1 10

right?

Master of random betrayal,
Count Caldwel
---------------- with 10 power, it give more fun than win.
No comments :(

================================

Thank you for reading and reached this line.

To all game creators team:
Thank you, for all your hard work!
John don't work if you just move him and done story finished. Did not see people carrying the Ale card lot. Count caldwal is for the player with sceptres and also gives you a minigame who can have the highest unit on board. I think he is good for the cost or maybe his cost should be decreased.
Post automatically merged:

BUG:

I discarded a Tuirseach Skirmisher with Derran and he didn't resurrect :/
he moves card to gy tooltip says. But not discard. not sure if its intended. I think discard would be better with him.

It doesn't have Zeal. To do so, you need to run Petri's Philter in your deck. Still, I find the card super OP. The arachas spawned by the passive Arachas Queen ability should be doomed.

That was my deck. with avalc sage to tutor the philters, a frightner to bait artifact removal, and i found the woodland amazing with either Hag avalac sage or whispess tribute.

What would be a range row (at 3 rows): A not-offensive-not defensive Card(effect), boost for example. Especialty in combination with reach, where you cant or dont want to hit from melee or siege row ranged is a middle.
Yeah, that's suspicion as well: Ranged would become the row where you dump the cards which you can play wherever. I much more like the 2 row version, where you have to think to which of the rows with actual function to put these cards to avoid punishment.

In ptr i had the feeling, if my opponent have such a punishing card, i will be punished either way. I couldnt dodge a G-Igni, it was not possible. And thats the other side of two row: Limitation.
Yeah, that's true, but I think fixable. I see two reasons for this problem: balance issues (Igni's limit is too low with two rows and row-restriction even with lower card powers) and more prominently that 90% of all matches we had 10 card round 3, because of - seemingly - broken round mechanic caused by hand limit.

I dont feel any meaning for row right now, it doesnt matter at all, if i HAVE to play a card at melee or range for the ability. Because to few cards have this kind of ability at all. About 40 cards have to chose from a melee-range-ability, that isnt tough-row decision at all, if you have still the free choice for 75-90% of all your cards.
Also true. I think I also wrote row-restrictions and placement mechanics should be more prominent on cards. Also I don't have problem with any-row units as long they come with increased cost. (Although fiddling with Recruitment cost may not mean too much, if draw RNG easily means +/- 20-30 Recruitment diff of cards played in a match with current level of inconsistency).

In addition, we have prepared a set of surveys regarding cards. We'd love to know how useful you find the cards. Please pick the surveys that correspond to the decks you're playing (for example, if you're playing with Nilfgaard, please pick Neutral and Nilfgaard surveys) and let us know how useful you find each card:
NEUTRAL
MONSTERS
SKELLIGE
NILFGAARD
NORTHERN REALMS
SCOIA'TAEL
I just completed the forms last night (filled all of them cause I played with all factions). I appreciate that you're trying to get our feedback in this way as well, but I'm not sure in this form it will be as useful input as would be ideal:
  • I don't think setting evaluation for all cards to Required is a good idea. While I've tried all factions, I definitely haven't played with all the cards (not even against), so I couldn't give a decent evaluation for half the cards presented.
  • With all the new effects I just couldn't remember which effect belonged to which card name. As we don't have access to deck builder anymore providing us with a list of all cards would be extremely helpful.
  • The two reasons above lead me to give the middle 3 vote for all the cards I couldn't give a decent opinion, which may falsely lead you to believe that they're just all right.
  • The way the question was asked I'm not sure if it's the best input on whether the card needs to change or not. 5 could mean "I think it has an awesome mechanic that I want to use" or "it's OP as hell, auto-include in every deck", both of them point to opposite direction of whether a change is needed. Similarly while the evaluation of 1 clearly points toward need for change, it's not obvious whether I just recommend some buff because it's too weak, or a complete rework because I hate the mechanic (khm, Reveal, khm) ... or the complete the lack of one.

Last edited:
You said Homecoming would be introduced to alleviate problems.

But it created a long-term balance problem.
No, not Order- that's fine.
Leaders.
Specifically uncounterable leader abilities.
The potential synergy between leader abilities and cards drastically reduce viable card abilities.
Regis could be fine. With Eithne? Damage and hit on the same turn. With other cards you can at least notice the potential setup and if you have something against it, counter it(e.g. by removal)
Near-impossible if your opponent plays de facto two cards.

Like I said before, I totally agree with the direction new gwent will go, like adding the provision system, reducing the consistency of every games by the 2 bronze limit and removal of tutors.
However, too many people are now criticizing the provision system ( at least in Chinese card game community ). It means it is problematic. But I believe it is the design of useless and weak bronze cards that makes the provision system annoying.
We have to put trash into our decks in order to bring strong golds. That's the problem! Every card should have its own value. If we have to play trash, the overall experience will not be great.
IMHO, the original design of provision system is to make decks variable and let every card, especially golds, have the chance to appear in the battlefield. That's a brilliant decision! But please make those "trash" bronzes have their own value in a deck. We don't like to play trash, at all.
To achieve this, either redesign many bronzes, or increase the ceiling of recruit cost, or both. And we have to admit, there has to be some useless cards in a card game. Look at other games, it applies as well. But we don't need to force players to play all of them.

Last edited:
I think the reason of boring of HC is due to the lack of sound effect in the new gwent, the background music is too quiet.

Also, you can make the coin "shine" after a card is played to remind players to pass the turn.

hey there, i just got a little one for the deck builder. it would be nice to filter and sort the decks by faction and leader's.

Hopefully my feedback doesn't come off as too negative since
Usurper -
Complaint: Though a lot of the leaders have balance issues Usurper is the only one whose effect I think is outright irredeemable. Leaders are a fun and core component of gwent which dictate the way you build your deck and influences your rounds in several ways. You try to bait out the powerful effect of your opponent if they are playing something like Adda. If they are playing Eithne you try to keep your rounds as short as possible to limit the value her effect gets. Even if you play against something entirely passive such as Arachas Queen you consider the extra value of destroying the enemy units so that your opponent can't consume or destroy them through other means to obtain their free Arachas. Usurper removes all of this interaction and doesn't add anything enjoyable to the game. You simply put him in your deck because he's good, automatically wins some leader reliant matchups, and he provides you an unfair advantage in every matchup you play against a leader that isn't Usurper because they expect that at least one or two of their cards will benefit off of their leaders effect, whereas you are completely aware of the fact that this won't be the case. In some cases he even automatically wins you a matchup, like when you play against Harald or Foltest, as a Foltest deck without Zeal is garbage and the Harald Deck is heavily reliant on his swing turn. Randomly losing because you ran into a Usurper player simply isn't fun.

Nonsense. The more people dislike this card, the more I'm convinced it is working as intended. This just goes to show that Usurper is fine as is. He is my favorite designed leader thus far and fits my personal playstyle. If you can't adapt, that's not anyone's problem but your own, reevaluate your deck. You aren't always going to have a perfect matchup, and expecting to always get your way in that regard is not how Gwent works. Usurper is a disruptor leader and I played him extensively during the PTR. Win or lose, it was incredibly fun and satisfying forcing my opponent out of his/her comfort zone knowing they had to alter their strategy, I also peppered lock units and other disruption techniques throughout my deck. It is not like 9/10 games you played were against Usurper, so you're being overly dramatic and unfair in your assessment of the leader. Your argument is also grossly one-sided and exceedingly biased.

The bottom line is that you just don't like Usurper because he tends to pull people's brains out of the "lazy brain" state after playing 1-2-3-4-5 games in a row going through the EXACT same motions. Usurper forces you to actively think on your toes. That is what makes you feel uncomfortable. Well, I say....good! He is a well designed leader, and they should leave him be.

Last edited:
There are one more thing which I think slip off the radar, because everyone have full collection on PTR and big savings before HC on real server - now deck crafting cost is variable. Previously I was really pleased by fact that crafting certain deck always cost you fixed amount of scraps(4 golds, 6 silvers) comparing to HS where half of the deck should be legendary or it doesn't work. This is crucial point for new players and I already can feel somebody frustration when opponent smack his or her face with "half gold deck" which became even worse with current more draw-dependent matches.
My only hope is that starter decks will not be miserably weak.

Nonsense. The more people dislike this card, the more I'm convinced it is working as intended. This just goes to show that Usurper is fine as is. He is my favorite ..

The bottom line is that you just don't like Usurper because he tends to pull people's brains out of the "lazy brain" state after playing 1-2-3-4-5 games in...
Oh, really?
So maybe someone, who allways plays Usurper has lazy brain.. i'm not about you, but about all lazy brains, who likes easy win.
Please , maybe you should play against (!) Usurper or Bran, or finally Eredin+Avalach.
I believe, you will change your mind after all this!
2. believe the game goal is about Global balance, not just 3 Leaders win..

ps.: as someone known have said: "i love gwent when i win, and hate when my ass goes kicked" :),
so Currently Is no objectively balanced game as well as 100% right feedback opinion.
but obiviosly we should seek golden balance after all..

Hi there. First time post but I typed up a big list of feedback which I wanted CDPR to see. Link to Reddit.
Do CDPR employees still lurk on Reddit? It turned into a cesspool for the first day but the vibe now is mostly positive with a lot of constructive feedback.

he is like hearthstone swap card. I see a lot of cards kind of hearthstone types.

First, I've never played HS, so I can't have an opinion about that.
But this is the kind of card which heavily depends on your deck. I don't know if in HS there're the kinds of synergies with the graveyard we have in Gwent, such as auto-resurrection cards (Morkvarg or the new Tuirseach Skirmishers), or others such as the Phoenix, Gremist, or Bearmasters. Anyway, Lippy is just one example. If you click in the link, you'll see that Molegion twitted 5 pretty cool cards.

If you can't adapt, that's not anyone's problem but your own, reevaluate your deck. You aren't always going to have a perfect matchup, and expecting to always get your way in that regard is not how Gwent works.
The problem with Usurper is the way in which he forces you to adapt. I don't expect perfect matchups, or having every matchup turn out favorably for me, but Usurper doesn't force me to adapt and make interesting decisions. He takes away my ability to make decisions because he removes my ability to play for the synergistic value that a leader provides my deck with. When I play against Adda I understand that I have to alter my playstyle instead of relying on an individual engine card and have to spread out any buffs I have, that is an example of making interesting decisions because of the impact a leader has on the game, even with an as simple leader as Adda. Usurper on the other hand, causes both of us to play point slamming mid-winter style decks which don't come down to skill but whoever either removes more stuff from the opponent or slams down more stuff of their own, which is an incredibly boring playstyle, and is not the way that Gwent is meant to work.

Additionally, reevaluating your entire deck because of a single card is not a positive effect of a leader. The need to include tech cards in a meta is a sign of some mechanic being problematic or overly prevalent, like scorch being mandatory whenever consume was playable, or lacerate being mandatory when tempo was good. But at the very least this was because of what entire decks represented, and only forced you to add one or two cards to your deck.
Usurper on the other hand is more problematic than both of these examples. By saying that people should be reevaluating their decks because of Usurper, you may as well be saying that his sheer existence actively limits all of the decks that can be created.

Usurper is a disruptor leader and I played him extensively during the PTR. Win or lose, it was incredibly fun and satisfying forcing my opponent out of his/her comfort zone knowing they had to alter their strategy, I also peppered lock units and other disruption techniques throughout my deck.
That isn't forcing an opponent out of their comfort zone, that is shutting down a person's ability to play their deck. I played a similar strategy with a heavy control Eithne deck and can tell that it is extremely oppressive. It was fun for me to play since I felt in control of the game, but I can guarantee that my opponent didn't have fun when every single order card and artifact they played was shut down before it could trigger.
The description of that Usurper deck actually sounds even more oppressive than this because not only can you use the artifact removal in the game to shut down all artifacts, and slam lock units whenever your opponent tries to do something interesting. Usurper also prevents your opponent from utilizing their leader to counter you in any way. If they try to play a high power unit to avoid getting blown out by locks on their engine cards, then you'll just lock that unit and follow it up with Vattier of Vanhemar. If they try to go wide on a row you simply play lacerate. If they try to develop a strong engine, again you just have to lock it. And they can't even try using a tech leader like Eredin to guarantee that one of their engines stays alive because Usurper shuts that down entirely.
I know the way that deck plays out because I tested it out a lot myself, and I know that you aren't forcing your opponent to alter their strategy. You are removing every possible strategy your opponent has access to, because they have no leader, no minions and no artifacts. And from experience I can tell you that you aren't facing a lot of meaningful decisions either, every turn you simply consider which removal can I use here that will be the least useful to me for this game, and though interesting from your perspective it is miserable to your opponent because they have no method of countering you regardless of what deck they play, unless it is specifically built to beat yours, and most of the losses you face come from your own mistakes by using removal inefficiently or bad luck with draws, not from your opponent playing well.

It is not like 9/10 games you played were against Usurper, so you're being overly dramatic and unfair in your assessment of the leader.
And I never claimed that this was the case. But my assessment of Usurper is in no way unfair. I described what I experienced against him, and why it is problematic, and several people have experienced the same.
Additionally he is clearly overpowered and not only oppressive, because every deck except yours is worse without its leader. Every non-Usurper deck expects to use their leader to some extent and by removing their leader you are given an unfair advantage as your deck doesn't require a leader to function while theirs to some extent does.

Your argument is also grossly one-sided and exceedingly biased.
I can't make a non-biased assessment of this card because of all of the problems I see with the card that I've already mentioned.

The bottom line is that you just don't like Usurper because he tends to pull people's brains out of the "lazy brain" state after playing 1-2-3-4-5 games in a row going through the EXACT same motions. Usurper forces you to actively think on your toes. That is what makes you feel uncomfortable. Well, I say....good! He is a well designed leader, and they should leave him be.
To me this is the opposite of what is true. As I explained previously playing against leaders forces you to make interesting decisions and play around the enemy's ability, requiring that you think about how to deal with their leader rather than repeating the exact same motions leading to your loss. They force you to try to bait out their effect or limit the value they can obtain by using it. When you play against Usurper however you just play a point slamming mid-winter style deck with no cohesion whatsoever.
Control Usurper decks are the decks that go through the exact same motions, you don't make interesting considerations about when to make use of your leader, you don't consider how to limit the value of the enemy leader. Every match will play out similarly for you because there isn't a leader that forces you to change your playstyle. I've played these control decks, I've even played Usurper control on the ptr, and everything you do is find the most efficient way to remove the enemy's minions, and rinse and repeat until you win.
That is what a lazy brain game looks like, and I don't blame you for liking them because that's what I enjoy playing at times as well, and why I played a lot of Spell'a'tael in the past and played Eithne and Usurper control on the ptr. But it is in no way well designed and is far too problematic to remain in the game in its current state.

Tooltip is wrong. False ciri boosted self by 3 whenever the enemy leader was used on ptr. Should probably be buffed if we're being honest.

Top Bottom