Open PTR feedback

+
I don't like the Usurper at all. My point is that the Usurper could be extremely impactful in the meta, since it would made unviable every single deck which strongly depends on its leader ability (King Bran, King Henselt, etc.).

Last edited:
I think “order” is a good idea.But when you can use “order” and leader skill to modifies the number of points,then you play scorch or other combo.These combos are too IMBA and they are hard to counter. So i hope you change the order of out of cards.
People need to play a card,then they can use order and leader skill.

Hi devs,

good work so far.

I think we need more thinning cards and make better the identity for each faction.

I think that a card that can help with that is the rune stones for each class. I think this card right now is too random and you should avoid that, at least avoid all random cards that can have mid/big impact on game.

Rune Stone of Scoia'tael - Choose a random bronze spell in your deck, play it, then cast it again.

Rune Stone of Northem Realms - Choose a random soldier from your deck, play it and give it Zeal

Rune Stone of Monsters - Choose a bronze death wish unit in your deck, play it and cast its deathwish

I think with this example you get the point, 1- thinn ability and 2-increase the identity of the class.

Becuase I think Scoia'tael should be the masters of the spells, northem realms the best soldiers and zeal. Monster the masters of the death wish, and so on.

Also I am missing at least 1 redraw option for 2nd and 3rd round, otherwise, adding more cards that help to swap or change a bad card in your hand would be very important.

I think, what matters here, is to redraw, draw, swap, discard and redraw cards- thin your deck in order to be able to play all the cards, this way games will be more tactical, like chess, and I think this is the most important factor in every card game, if it's too much random, if you lose a game because you didn't draw your best cards... then games will be boring and luck dependent... instead of be mathematical, tactical, and minfulness games

1. Reduce randomness as much as possible, make us choose cards instead of drawing random cards. Adding choices is always better.
2. Increase the amount of thinning possibilities
3. Give 1 extra mulligan during second and third round
4. Reduce the variance by reducing the difference in card provisions. Right now the last round is based on who draws the 14 provision card and who draws the 4 provisions rubish. Instead of having a range of 4-14 provisions make it more like7-11 or whatever number that doesnt give to much of a difference in card strength. Because right now there are cards that have three times as much effective strength as the weak ones. That is discusting variance!!!
5. There where some glitches when the opponent played a card that would fill up the board with 1 strength guys and one of them ended up showing on my side of the board because his row was filled!! It wasnt counted, but it was visually anoying.
6. I played vs arachas queen opponent and i had a visual glitch. It was as if a half white card showed up in the middle of the board.

If you don't listen to me, at least listen to a top player:

Freddybabes:
Dislikes the fact that the provisioning system adds more variance.
He dislikes that there aren't any mulligans added in round 2 and 3. Right now you are rewarded for the fact that you outdrew your opponent during round 1. The best drawing player keeps more mulligans for the next rounds, therefore gets an even bigger advantage.
He dislikes the fact that there is no more drypassing.
He dislikes the lack of card drawing spy.

Last edited:
1. Reduce randomness as much as possible, make us choose cards instead of drawing random cards. Adding choices is always better.
2. Increase the amount of thinning possibilities
3. Give 1 extra mulligan during second and third round
4. Reduce the variance by reducing the difference in card provisions. Right now the last round is based on who draws the 14 provision card and who draws the 4 provisions rubish. Instead of having a range of 4-14 provisions make it more like7-11 or whatever number that doesnt give to much of a difference in card strength. Because right now there are cards that have three times as much effective strength as the weak ones. That is discusting variance!!!
5. There where some glitches when the opponent played a card that would fill up the board with 1 strength guys and one of them ended up showing on my side of the board because his row was filled!! It wasnt counted, but it was visually anoying.
6. I played vs arachas queen opponent and i had a visual glitch. It was as if a half white card showed up in the middle of the board.

If you don't listen to me, at least listen to a top player:

Freddybabes:
Dislikes the fact that the provisioning system adds more variance.
He dislikes that there aren't any mulligans added in round 2 and 3. Right now you are rewarded for the fact that you outdrew your opponent during round 1. The best drawing player keeps more mulligans for the next rounds, therefore gets an even bigger advantage.
He dislikes the fact that there is no more drypassing.
He dislikes the lack of card drawing spy.

Drypassing tactically or bleeding out your opponent alongside card advantage was what made rounds have meaning. It was another aspect of the game that made it interesting.

It's just shocking how much they ruined and still call it gwent. The allure of the homecoming letter was what made some of us come back but to find this abomination.. leaves a sour taste in my mouth after the time spent in closed and open beta.

Drypassing tactically or bleeding out your opponent alongside card advantage was what made rounds have meaning. It was another aspect of the game that made it interesting.

It's just shocking how much they ruined and still call it gwent. The allure of the homecoming letter was what made some of us come back but to find this abomination.. leaves a sour taste in my mouth after the time spent in closed and open beta.
so you guys who want card advantage want unfair game play. Especially NG with assire put shit on other deck and u play good ones. I don't like that. I would rather play with even cards. Feels good to get beaten on fair play instead of unfair advantage.

Last edited:
I spoke earlier in the thread of how I didn't feel like the cards feel inspired. I gave one concrete example of how I would design battering ram. I wanted to come back and provide more concrete examples of the kind of card complexity I wish we would see in Gwent. I'm going to focus on Northern Realms.

I'm not going to mention base strength/provision numbers, because my goal here isn't to provide balanced cards, but to convey concepts that would be much more interesting to me than the boost/damage stuff I see now. I'll start with my battering ram example from before.

---

Battering Ram
Melee: order (cooldown 1) -> move battering ram to the ranged row and gain 1 charge at turn end
Ranged: order (1 charge) -> move battering ram to the melee row and deal 1 damage to the unit across from it. If battering ram hits an artifact, destroy it.
1 charge

Why I like this concept: this turns battering ram into a multi faceted card. It is artifact removal, damage, charge synergy. But it has limitations across all these concepts making it not perfect at anything. It can't remove artifacts at ranged unless you move your opponents artifacts somehow. It can't do enough damage to be effective spot removal (1 damage/turn) but can remove things over time. It plays with both rows and makes the two rows feel meaningful. And because it is a unit with order, it can be removed before doing anything.

The 'default' way to play this unit is you play it into ranged. Wait 1 turn. And from then on it does 1 damage to something in melee per turn. Basically you use the ranged order to hit something and then on the same turn use the melee order to move it back to ranged and gain 1 charge. It isn't infinite, because you don't gain the charge until turn end.

But more important than all of that, is that this card design allows the user to feel clever.
Clever aspect 1: If you have ways to add charges to the ram, you still can't get more than 2 attacks off due to the melee order being on cooldown. But if you have your own movement capabilities...
Clever aspect 2: The default is to play this card into ranged row but what happens if you deploy it into melee row? On the following turn you could just use the cooldown ability and not attack. This will bank 2 charges on the ram and allow you save them for when you need them

---

Siege Tower
Melee: Your soldiers have reach 3
Ranged: Your machines receive 1 less damage from all sources
Order: (cooldown 2): move siege tower to the opposite row

This version of siege tower can provide buffs to different types of units depending on when you need them. Again, this makes the card multi-faceted and gives it different purposes in different decks. And the order means you can even swap mid round which effect is important to you.

You can even make use of both abilities by playing siege tower into melee. Then on your next turn playing a soldier that needs the reach benefit and after getting the deploy ability of the soldier off, move the siege tower to the back row because you plan to make use of a machine next.

However, because the siege tower moves slowly (cooldown 2), you're forced to really think ahead about which siege tower ability you are going to need when.

And finally, because Siege Tower is a machine unto itself, being in the ranged row means it also protects itself to a degree when the siege tower is the card you care about.

---

Ballista
Reach 2-3 (I would personally change all machines that deal damage to have inverted range. Basically this means that a Ballista in the ranged row can hit any enemy units but a Ballista in the melee row can only hit the enemy ranged row due because melee enemies are too close for the Ballista to be effective.
Order: (1 charge) Damage a unit by 1 and damage Ballista by 1
5 charges

This version of Ballista is interesting because it is actually removal (if it survives) but its damage doesn't actually provide points because for each point of damage you deal, you hurt the ballista by 1 (I think of this as being like ammo or durability)

Let's also say that the base strength of this Ballista is less than 5. So like 3 strength, 4 provisions. You can't even get the 5th shot off before the ballista destroys itself? Well, boosting would be an obvious answer. But you could also combo this with my version of siege tower above to protect it from its self damage.

This also opens up a 'dream' of comboing it with something like siege tower and another card that provides charges (bloody baron?) to allow Ballista to just go nuts and get much more value than 'should' be possible via a 3 card combo.

---

Thaler
Deploy: remove all boost from a unit and convert them into charges on Thaler
Order: (1 charge, cooldown 1): Give 1 charge to an allied unit

simple change. I think the version of Thaler we had in ptr is just so extremely narrow. This is away to make a card more multi-faceted by having it interact with both a concept your opponent is like to actually use (boost) while at the same time working with a different currency that is more impactful to northern realms (charge)

This makes Thaler a much more interesting card for deck building because it is simultaneously a meta call (he needs your opponent to be making use of boosts) while at the same time he has to fit into the right deck (makes use of charges)

He's also really interesting to think about because there's a tension between wanting to wait to play him to steal the largest boost you can while at the same time waiting too long means you won't be able to grant all the charges because his ability is on cooldown 1.

---

Field Medic
If a soldier in this unit's row would die, instead destroy Field Medic and reset that soldier to base strength

I'm not really sure why a Field Medic would 'boost' soldiers at all. A mechanic like actually protecting your soldiers is much more flavorful and at the same time because a more interesting deck building decision because you have to think about whether you have key soldiers that are worth protecting.

---

Vandergrift + Vandergrift's blade

I love the concept of these cards working together. But the payoff is just so boring (+1 damage) and the combo is just so disrupt-able that it discourages me before any excitement about it can even begin. Rather, I would love to see these two cards actually 'fuse' together.

What if instead Vandergrift was like this:
Order: Melee: Damage a unit by 1. Cooldown: 1.
Order: Equip Vandergrift's Blade. Transform Vandergrift at turn end.

When you use order with Vandergrift you would target the blade. This would destroy the blade 'card' and transform Vandergrift into a new card that was like 'Supeme Vandergrift' (or whatever lore appropriate name would sound good) with a completely different ability. Maybe like
Order: (1 charge) deal 1 damage to all enemies. If any die, gain 1 charge
charges: 1

The specific ability I mention is less interesting than just some kind of 'oh wow this is so powerful' effect. And it should be allowed to be 'overpowered' because to pull this off you have to:
get both cards into play in the same round
have neither card be removed
have the transformed vandergrift not be removed
be in a game state where your opponent can't just pass

---

Nenneke
Order: Ranged: (2 charges) summon a bronze unit from your graveyard and set its base strength to 1
Order: Ranged: (4 charges) summon a gold unit from your graveyard and set its base strength to 1
Charges 4

Once again, I'm trying to stick to the concept that medical units protect or revive units. This is also multi-faced because it has two different order abilities depending on what you target. The abilities cost multiple charges meaning anything that grants 1 charge probably isn't that effective whereas a card like bloody baron that doubles charges suddenly looks a lot more interesting.

I deliberately chose to say 'summon' here to avoid any cards that exist primarily for their immediate deploy effect as I would want this to be a card with a very different purpose from renew. This means that Nenneke *and* what she brings back (probably a unit with Order) are vulnerable to removal before getting value.

And the card you brought back is especially vulnerable because it will have 1 strength. But maybe there are combos where 1 strength is ok, or perhaps you have a way to provide zeal and set up an important combo. Like say, bringing back Vandergrift when his blade is on the board...

It's also multi faceted in that from a deck building perspective you can think about whether you want to res bronze units as your backbone or whether you have a particular gold card you want to combo.

---

Anyway, I could go on and on but I hope that conveys at least what I personally mean when I'm complaining about damage/boost abilities and how I wish gwent cards were more multi-faceted.

Cards like the above are, in my opinion, so much more difficult to assess exactly what deck they belong in and what they're 'expected' points/provision value is. These cards can also all attack the game from different angles making them so much more interesting to think about.

so you guys who want card advantage want unfair game play. Especially NG with assire put shit on other deck and u play good ones. I don't like that. I would rather play with even cards. Feels good to get beaten on fair play instead of unfair advantage.

You must be new to the game, I don't know what the meta is currently like or what's being played granted it must be bad having had no update for 5 months or so but yh. In the closed beta and a good portion of open beta card advantage was obtained differently through tactical plays and having good foresight of when to make that huge tempo play and pass. Do you invest a gold card in this round or no etc and ofcourse through spies knowing when a round is lost etc. I'd say the new provision system of oh I drew my high cost cards vs you drew low cost bad cards seems to be the "unfair gameplay'' you're looking for.

As freddy mentioned alongside the mulligan system it rewards the player for drawing better in the first round throughout the game as he can still use his mulligans in the later rounds. Whilst the player who drew bad has to use his mulligans or lose round 1 and is essentially playing catchup. It's less random when everyone has to have 4 golds/6silvers in their deck and you have tutors to thin/draw into your golds/silvers which with the limit of 3 copies for bronze ensures consistency. I'm sure you can see the contrast between the two.

Edit: Sorry and ofcourse card advantage via playing spies which you use in rounds you don't intend to win doesn't mean now that round doesn't have meaning. They scrapped that along with silvers as a whole so now you have the good-bad cards in deck gwent playstyle.

If you dont play a round, it hasnt a meaning

You're misunderstanding the point even when not playing a round by drypassing tactically that round had meaning for ultimately winning the match. Basic example if I were to win the first round against my opponent both having equal cards going into the second, I could either choose to bleed my opponent in the second round until I make him use some of his powerful cards [gold/silver] or win condition cards etc, or I could opt to to dry pass to go into the third having the last play. Certain decks favoured winning the first round due to their strategy whilst other decks favour the last round, Ciri Nova as of recent comes to mind.

Last edited:
I want to start of by saying I love some of the changes that you have implemented in the ptr, however their is still room for improvement, and while I am no expert I have played allot of gwent and would like to bounce off a few ideas. First of all, I believe the coin flip solution is a good idea, however 5 points on tactical advantage may be a bit to much tempo in the new gwent, and I believe that this could be easily fixed by lowering it to 3 points. Overall I am kind of split on the 3 card draw change, on one hand it allows players to play out more of their strategy, which is important with less overall thinning. On the other hand it makes winning round 1 almost useless, especially early on in the round. Another major downside is that games tend to drag on for too long, and that will be a great hit to the viewership of the game, and will deter allot of people from the game. In my opinion it would be healthier for the game to reduce the card draw in one of or both of the rounds to 2 cards, and to give leaders more mulligans and/or ad a few more tutor cards to balance this.

In terms of the actual changes to the cards, I think you guys did a fantastic job with the monster faction, and I am impressed at how strong monsters faction identity is in the new gwent. On a less positive note I am a little disappointed on some of the changes to skellige. While I love some of the cards such as Derran, Lippy and queensgaurd, many of the cards seem underwhelming and their is not enough synergy for valid archetypes. I think more bronze cards need to be moved to the 4 provision slot because the synergy cards in skellige right now are too expensive, therefore encouraging players to run basic neutral 4 provision units instead.

Some of the specific card changes I would like to see in skellige include:
- Make Hym tutor out a cursed unit from your deck and increase Hyms provision cost. Hym is currently useless in the new gwent because units have really low base strength, and base strength boosts are essentialy non existent. This change to Hym would be really strong and would give skellige an amazing gold tutor for their essential cards like Derran, Harrald houndsnout and morkvarg, however it would be very powerful and therefore would need a high provision cost of 11 or 12.

-Sigrdrifa's rite should allow you to choose which row the card you resurrect goes, and it should count as a resurrect trigger in order to activate Ceyris.

- Give Crach an Craite the ability to target your own units. This simple change would give some much needed love and support to the self wounding skellige deck.

-Speaking of self wounding, I believe both of the bearserkers were not present in the ptr, which is a shame because I think that units that transform after taking damage could be really useful in the self wound deck.

-The last change I would like to see is more support for pirate and ship units. I think that these units should combine together into one archetype because pirates are stronger with ships and vice versa. Both Holgeir Blackhand's and Dimun Couser's abilities should be changed to take both pirates and ships into account, making these units potentially quite powerful and actually provide incentive to load up on pirates and ships. Also I think wild boar of the sea's ability should change to support the pirate/ship archetype. Another potential change to the pirate package which could be interesting includes the addition of the "Raid" tag to all pirate units giving them a small bonus when played next to ship, similarly to how the crew tag worked but not as powerful.

Hopefully this feedback reaches you guys and is something worth considering. And on a final note i would like to thank all of you at CDPR for supporting this game and caring for your fans, keep up the awesome work.

Last edited:
You must be new to the game, I don't know what the meta is currently like or what's being played granted it must be bad having had no update for 5 months or so but yh. In the closed beta and a good portion of open beta card advantage was obtained differently through tactical plays and having good foresight of when to make that huge tempo play and pass. Do you invest a gold card in this round or no etc and ofcourse through spies knowing when a round is lost etc. I'd say the new provision system of oh I drew my high cost cards vs you drew low cost bad cards seems to be the "unfair gameplay'' you're looking for.

As freddy mentioned alongside the mulligan system it rewards the player for drawing better in the first round throughout the game as he can still use his mulligans in the later rounds. Whilst the player who drew bad has to use his mulligans or lose round 1 and is essentially playing catchup. It's less random when everyone has to have 4 golds/6silvers in their deck and you have tutors to thin/draw into your golds/silvers which with the limit of 3 copies for bronze ensures consistency. I'm sure you can see the contrast between the two.

Edit: Sorry and ofcourse card advantage via playing spies which you use in rounds you don't intend to win doesn't mean now that round doesn't have meaning. They scrapped that along with silvers as a whole so now you have the good-bad cards in deck gwent playstyle.

You're misunderstanding the point even when not playing a round by drypassing tactically that round had meaning for ultimately winning the match. Basic example if I were to win the first round against my opponent both having equal cards going into the second, I could either choose to bleed my opponent in the second round until I make him use some of his powerful cards [gold/silver] or win condition cards etc, or I could opt to to dry pass to go into the third having the last play. Certain decks favoured winning the first round due to their strategy whilst other decks favour the last round, Ciri Nova as of recent comes to mind.
been playing for a year now this game. Not sure how long you been playing. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. For me i like fair play. Dislike this card advantage thing.
Post automatically merged:

I want to start of by saying I love some of the changes that you have implemented in the ptr, however their is still room for improvement, and while I am no expert I have played allot of gwent and would like to bounce off a few ideas. First of all, I believe the coin flip solution is a good idea, however 5 points on tactical advantage may be a bit to much tempo in the new gwent, and I believe that this could be easily fixed by lowering it to 3 points. Overall I am kind of split on the 3 card draw change, on one hand it allows players to play out more of their strategy, which is important with less overall thinning. On the other hand it makes winning round 1 almost useless, especially early on in the round. Another major downside is that games tend to drag on for too long, and that will be a great hit to the viewership of the game, and will deter allot of people from the game. In my opinion it would be healthier for the game to reduce the card draw in one of or both of the rounds to 2 cards, and to give leaders more mulligans and/or ad a few more tutor cards to balance this.

In terms of the actual changes to the cards, I think you guys did a fantastic job with the monster faction, and I am impressed at how strong monsters faction identity is in the new gwent. On a less positive note I am a little disappointed on some of the changes to skellige. While I love some of the cards such as Derran, Lippy and queensgaurd, many of the cards seem underwhelming and their is not enough synergy for valid archetypes. I think more bronze cards need to be moved to the 4 provision slot because the synergy cards in skellige right now are too expensive, therefore encouraging players to run basic neutral 4 provision units instead.

Some of the specific card changes I would like to see in skellige include:
- Make Hym tutor out a cursed unit from your deck and increase Hyms provision cost. Hym is currently useless in the new gwent because units have really low base strength, and base strength boosts are essentialy non existent. This change to Hym would be really strong and would give skellige an amazing gold tutor for their essential cards like Derran, Harrald houndsnout and morkvarg, however it would be very powerful and therefore would need a high provision cost of 11 or 12.

- Give Crach an Craite the ability to target your own units. This simple change would give some much needed love and support to the self wounding skellige deck.

-Speaking of self wounding, I believe both of the bearserkers were not present in the ptr, which is a shame because I think that units that transform after taking damage could be really useful in the self wound deck.

-The last change I would like to see is more support for pirate and ship units. I think that these units should combine together into one archetype because pirates are stronger with ships and vice versa. Both Holgeir Blackhand's and Dimun Couser's abilities should be changed to take both pirates and ships into account, making these units potentially quite powerful and actually provide incentive to load up on pirates and ships. Also I think wild boar of the sea's ability should change to support the pirate/ship archetype. Another potential change to the pirate package which could be interesting includes the addition of the "Raid" tag to all pirate units giving them a small bonus when played next to ship, similarly to how the crew tag worked but not as powerful.

Hopefully this feedback reaches you guys and is something worth considering. And on a final note i would like to thank all of you at CDPR for supporting this game and caring for your fans, keep up the awesome work.
crach can target ur own units. The tooltip is just wrong

You're misunderstanding the point even when not playing a round by drypassing tactically that round had meaning for ultimately winning the match
Oh, i didnt misunderstood the point. I got him right form the start. But you had your time for THAT tactic, now its time for a different tactic. Drypass gave you an advantage, sure. That doesnt mean, the 2. round had a meaning. It felt bland quite a lot. IN most cases you could use a rule "win first round, start second in the next"; nearly nothing would change. Now with CA nearly gone, you can really try to get the 2. Round unlike before.
Nevertheless most people still drypass and use it a replenishment for cards. So mostly nothing changed there. But i think the 2. Round has now more meaning than in Post-Midwinter-Gwent.

If the idea of the hand limit stays the same, then maybe cards that draw cards like Stregobor should only trigger if both players have a full hand. I remember a match where my opponent (Foltest) went first and played Stregobor with zeal turn 1 to flip the coin while keeping his advantages. It wasn't that big of a deal but it might become a problem in the future. Alternatively the hand limit could be increased to 11.

been playing for a year now this game. Not sure how long you been playing. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. For me i like fair play. Dislike this card advantage thing.

crach can target ur own units. The tooltip is just wrong

I've been playing since the beginning of closed beta so two years now, whereas you joined the game at around the midwinter update patch which is regarded as the worst update to the game ever. I wasn't trying to be patronising just thought i'd point out that the current state of gwent and the way card advantage is gained now perhaps is different from back then. Yes people have different likes and dislikes but to generalise as something being unfair when both players have that oppurtunity to gain that card advantage does seem a little silly. It's the type of posts throughout the beta of which eventually lead to the downfall of this game insert midwinter update patch. It's important that CDPR actually listen to constructive feedback but that's out the window now as they have a clear goal of catering to a new demographic of casuals.
Oh, i didnt misunderstood the point. I got him right form the start. But you had your time for THAT tactic, now its time for a different tactic. Drypass gave you an advantage, sure. That doesnt mean, the 2. round had a meaning. It felt bland quite a lot. IN most cases you could use a rule "win first round, start second in the next"; nearly nothing would change. Now with CA nearly gone, you can really try to get the 2. Round unlike before.
Nevertheless most people still drypass and use it a replenishment for cards. So mostly nothing changed there. But i think the 2. Round has now more meaning than in Post-Midwinter-Gwent.

You should quote and read the example in the same post about bleeding the opponent in the second round. It's all relative to what you're up against, the strategy of your deck and what's been played in the earlier round etc. For some reason it's being painted as though the second round was always drypassed I'm merely stating it was an option before which had more depth in practice. Whereas now with the hand replenish between rounds and limit, it feels as though you're playing bad cards in that round just because you have to. I wouldn't really pat CDPR on the back there for making rounds have ''meaning'' just like with the false pretense of 2 rows that have ''meaning'' now mantra.

Silver spies could still represent an interesting part of the card pool. However playing and gaining a card on deploy was always a bit to easy. Your deployed spy could take a turn to reap the benefits of drawing a card. Drawing a card is such a powerful mechanic that it should never be an "on deploy" affect.

Such medians as:

Monsters Spy - Strength 5: "Play on your opponents row, when you consume 3 units draw a card and lock this unit."

Northern Realms Spy - Strength 7: "Play on your opponents row. If you have a card with the <Royal Messenger> key word on the board at the start of your next turn, draw a card and lock this unit"

Skellige Spy - Strength 6 - "Play on your opponents row. If you have a ship on each row at the start of next turn draw a card and lock this unit."

Scoia'Tal Spy - Strength 5 - "Play on your opponents row. If you move this unit from the back to the front row next turn draw a card and lock this unit."

Nilfgaard Spy - Strength 8 - "Play on your opponents row. If there are no enemy units adjacent side of this at the end of your next turn draw a card and lock this unit"

The idea being that your opponent has multiple ways to disrupt your spy play. Making for a deep strategic experience. Also these don't have to be "Spies" per se but just regular cards with abilities. The old silver spies could have a bit more variety to them.

....perhaps.

Nonsense. The more people dislike this card, the more I'm convinced it is working as intended. This just goes to show that Usurper is fine as is. He is my favorite designed leader thus far and fits my personal playstyle. If you can't adapt, that's not anyone's problem but your own, reevaluate your deck. You aren't always going to have a perfect matchup, and expecting to always get your way in that regard is not how Gwent works. Usurper is a disruptor leader and I played him extensively during the PTR. Win or lose, it was incredibly fun and satisfying forcing my opponent out of his/her comfort zone knowing they had to alter their strategy, I also peppered lock units and other disruption techniques throughout my deck. It is not like 9/10 games you played were against Usurper, so you're being overly dramatic and unfair in your assessment of the leader. Your argument is also grossly one-sided and exceedingly biased.

The bottom line is that you just don't like Usurper because he tends to pull people's brains out of the "lazy brain" state after playing 1-2-3-4-5 games in a row going through the EXACT same motions. Usurper forces you to actively think on your toes. That is what makes you feel uncomfortable. Well, I say....good! He is a well designed leader, and they should leave him be.

Well, IMHO, the problem is mulligan when facing Usurper.
Some leaders mulligan 4 times without their abilities, others can merely mulligan 2 times.
That's not fair. At least, set the mulligan the same, like 2 times when the enemy leader is Usurper.

I spoke earlier in the thread of how I didn't feel like the cards feel inspired. I gave one concrete example of how I would design battering ram. I wanted to come back and provide more concrete examples of the kind of card complexity I wish we would see in Gwent. I'm going to focus on Northern Realms.

I'm not going to mention base strength/provision numbers, because my goal here isn't to provide balanced cards, but to convey concepts that would be much more interesting to me than the boost/damage stuff I see now. I'll start with my battering ram example from before.

---

Battering Ram
Melee: order (cooldown 1) -> move battering ram to the ranged row and gain 1 charge at turn end
Ranged: order (1 charge) -> move battering ram to the melee row and deal 1 damage to the unit across from it. If battering ram hits an artifact, destroy it.
1 charge

Why I like this concept: this turns battering ram into a multi faceted card. It is artifact removal, damage, charge synergy. But it has limitations across all these concepts making it not perfect at anything. It can't remove artifacts at ranged unless you move your opponents artifacts somehow. It can't do enough damage to be effective spot removal (1 damage/turn) but can remove things over time. It plays with both rows and makes the two rows feel meaningful. And because it is a unit with order, it can be removed before doing anything.

The 'default' way to play this unit is you play it into ranged. Wait 1 turn. And from then on it does 1 damage to something in melee per turn. Basically you use the ranged order to hit something and then on the same turn use the melee order to move it back to ranged and gain 1 charge. It isn't infinite, because you don't gain the charge until turn end.

But more important than all of that, is that this card design allows the user to feel clever.
Clever aspect 1: If you have ways to add charges to the ram, you still can't get more than 2 attacks off due to the melee order being on cooldown. But if you have your own movement capabilities...
Clever aspect 2: The default is to play this card into ranged row but what happens if you deploy it into melee row? On the following turn you could just use the cooldown ability and not attack. This will bank 2 charges on the ram and allow you save them for when you need them

---

Siege Tower
Melee: Your soldiers have reach 3
Ranged: Your machines receive 1 less damage from all sources
Order: (cooldown 2): move siege tower to the opposite row

This version of siege tower can provide buffs to different types of units depending on when you need them. Again, this makes the card multi-faceted and gives it different purposes in different decks. And the order means you can even swap mid round which effect is important to you.

You can even make use of both abilities by playing siege tower into melee. Then on your next turn playing a soldier that needs the reach benefit and after getting the deploy ability of the soldier off, move the siege tower to the back row because you plan to make use of a machine next.

However, because the siege tower moves slowly (cooldown 2), you're forced to really think ahead about which siege tower ability you are going to need when.

And finally, because Siege Tower is a machine unto itself, being in the ranged row means it also protects itself to a degree when the siege tower is the card you care about.

---

Ballista
Reach 2-3 (I would personally change all machines that deal damage to have inverted range. Basically this means that a Ballista in the ranged row can hit any enemy units but a Ballista in the melee row can only hit the enemy ranged row due because melee enemies are too close for the Ballista to be effective.
Order: (1 charge) Damage a unit by 1 and damage Ballista by 1
5 charges

This version of Ballista is interesting because it is actually removal (if it survives) but its damage doesn't actually provide points because for each point of damage you deal, you hurt the ballista by 1 (I think of this as being like ammo or durability)

Let's also say that the base strength of this Ballista is less than 5. So like 3 strength, 4 provisions. You can't even get the 5th shot off before the ballista destroys itself? Well, boosting would be an obvious answer. But you could also combo this with my version of siege tower above to protect it from its self damage.

This also opens up a 'dream' of comboing it with something like siege tower and another card that provides charges (bloody baron?) to allow Ballista to just go nuts and get much more value than 'should' be possible via a 3 card combo.

---

Thaler
Deploy: remove all boost from a unit and convert them into charges on Thaler
Order: (1 charge, cooldown 1): Give 1 charge to an allied unit

simple change. I think the version of Thaler we had in ptr is just so extremely narrow. This is away to make a card more multi-faceted by having it interact with both a concept your opponent is like to actually use (boost) while at the same time working with a different currency that is more impactful to northern realms (charge)

This makes Thaler a much more interesting card for deck building because it is simultaneously a meta call (he needs your opponent to be making use of boosts) while at the same time he has to fit into the right deck (makes use of charges)

He's also really interesting to think about because there's a tension between wanting to wait to play him to steal the largest boost you can while at the same time waiting too long means you won't be able to grant all the charges because his ability is on cooldown 1.

---

Field Medic
If a soldier in this unit's row would die, instead destroy Field Medic and reset that soldier to base strength

I'm not really sure why a Field Medic would 'boost' soldiers at all. A mechanic like actually protecting your soldiers is much more flavorful and at the same time because a more interesting deck building decision because you have to think about whether you have key soldiers that are worth protecting.

---

Vandergrift + Vandergrift's blade

I love the concept of these cards working together. But the payoff is just so boring (+1 damage) and the combo is just so disrupt-able that it discourages me before any excitement about it can even begin. Rather, I would love to see these two cards actually 'fuse' together.

What if instead Vandergrift was like this:
Order: Melee: Damage a unit by 1. Cooldown: 1.
Order: Equip Vandergrift's Blade. Transform Vandergrift at turn end.

When you use order with Vandergrift you would target the blade. This would destroy the blade 'card' and transform Vandergrift into a new card that was like 'Supeme Vandergrift' (or whatever lore appropriate name would sound good) with a completely different ability. Maybe like
Order: (1 charge) deal 1 damage to all enemies. If any die, gain 1 charge
charges: 1

The specific ability I mention is less interesting than just some kind of 'oh wow this is so powerful' effect. And it should be allowed to be 'overpowered' because to pull this off you have to:
get both cards into play in the same round
have neither card be removed
have the transformed vandergrift not be removed
be in a game state where your opponent can't just pass

---

Nenneke
Order: Ranged: (2 charges) summon a bronze unit from your graveyard and set its base strength to 1
Order: Ranged: (4 charges) summon a gold unit from your graveyard and set its base strength to 1
Charges 4

Once again, I'm trying to stick to the concept that medical units protect or revive units. This is also multi-faced because it has two different order abilities depending on what you target. The abilities cost multiple charges meaning anything that grants 1 charge probably isn't that effective whereas a card like bloody baron that doubles charges suddenly looks a lot more interesting.

I deliberately chose to say 'summon' here to avoid any cards that exist primarily for their immediate deploy effect as I would want this to be a card with a very different purpose from renew. This means that Nenneke *and* what she brings back (probably a unit with Order) are vulnerable to removal before getting value.

I love your concepts!
You should be a designer in CDPR...then gwent should have more interesting abilities

Last edited:
One thing that irritated me in ptr a bit was time spent for each game taking soo long because other player would not flip that turn button. Some autopass feature would be nice however I wonder if this changes anything since autopass would not work if player had anything else to do (like leader ability for example) and that means that , for example, if someone uses his leader at the very end could make each game last its maximum time.

Weird feeling. It looks as if the game was designed by an illustrator, with no notion of ergonomy and no attention to user experience. It does look great. A beautiful image with all the elements integrated to the background, but there is no sense of priority or importance in the informations provided. Worse, one has to look for them and decrypt them.
Switching back to standard Gwent is a relief as everything looks evident and clear.

I have actually opposite impressions. I got to rank 20 in PTR and switching to classic gwent afterwards was horrible experience. It looks poor and toy-like and gameplay feels somehow much worse.

One more thing perhaps would be nice. When its opponent turn players cards are partly hidden. I know there is this feature to move your view around a bit but using it really sucked. Would be nice to have some toggle button/hotkey that would put our cards back to view again.

Top Bottom