Open world in TW3-Success or not?

+
but one related thing I do hate is the fact the maps dont 'end' or such. you just keep getting a world's end message. I would have preferred uncrossable mountains or some such thing. Yes in some games they are pretty bad but I find the way they are handled here worse.

DOnt get me wrong it doesnt make me hate the game or anything liek that, just find it jarring.

Yep, agreed. "Jarring" is a perfect description, and very disorienting to have the screen black-out as it turns you round.

but one related thing I do hate is the fact the maps dont 'end' or such. you just keep getting a world's end message. I would have preferred uncrossable mountains or some such thing. Yes in some games they are pretty bad but I find the way they are handled here worse.

DOnt get me wrong it doesnt make me hate the game or anything liek that, just find it jarring.

I'm with you on that. I haven't noticed it in Velen/Novigrad yet because the land is so vast, but it was a royal pain in the ass in White Orchid constantly going out of bounds.

It was made even worse when on my in game map I could move my cursor way further than I was actually able to explore.

I'd rather have Geralt treadmill an invisible wall and the map cursor be consistent with where I'm actually allowed to go than have a pop up message and the screen completely blacking out to turn me around when I go to far.

I dont mind that the game isnt one open world, it means a greater diversity of areas can be seen. but one related thing I do hate is the fact the maps dont 'end' or such. you just keep getting a world's end message. I would have preferred uncrossable mountains or some such thing. Yes in some games they are pretty bad but I find the way they are handled here worse.

This has been frustrating me to no end.
I go around harvesting herbs for some potions I need, only to get an end of the world message as I approach a plant followed by a black screen and then the map.
I would prefer to have natural barriers such as impassable mountains ravines or rivers.
But if nothing else, at least not have herbs or other collectibles places outside the worlds end.

Well all I can say this may be better than Morrowind. For me, that says alot. Very great story telling as expected. Geralt is amazing as always. There world is so big I'm over whelmed eith what to do. Playing on Death March and it's a nightmare. I can't just wander, I have to pick my quests carefully and plan. I'm sad that I have to wait till October for dlc xD

TW3 is now my new standard for how "multi region open world" games should be compared to.So yes, it is a success.

Skyrim - lack luster main story with good side quests. Weak cinematic.
DAI - good main story (minus the ending moments) with lack luster side quests. Good cinematic (mostly) and story telling.
TW3 - Both main and side quests are great and they compliment each other so well. Excellent cinematic and story telling.

I am sure TW3 looked to games like Skyrim for inspiration in the beginning but as far as I am concern, now other game developer should be looking at TW3 for inspiration.

I dont understand how anyone can say this is true open world when I'm traveling somewhere, get to the end of the map and load the game to push me back.

A true open world would have, for example, put mountains that you cannot climb so it blocks you from leaving the map. Not show you that you can continue to walk, but load the screen to push you back.

My favorite open world game (before WItcher 3) was Fallout 3. Skyrim's was good too, but lacked reactive changes. Fallout New Vegas deserves a mention also.

Witcher 3 though in my opinion is leagues better in the open world department. They mix good open world, story, no loading screens and so far tons of reactions to previous quests/actions and passive story telling. It is simply amazing. I couldn't be happier as it took story telling of Witcher 2 (simply an amazing game) and merged it with the best open world.

[Edit]
As good as Witcher 3 is, and it is amazing, one of the best parts about Witcher 3 being out is they can focus on Cyberpunk. And of course the two Witcher 3 expansions...

I disagree about the map ends, I have no issues with it looking like the world continues in front of you, I always find invisible walls or impenetrable terrain to be jarring.

I dont have issues with "dragons ahead" message, I understand its a necessary evil. My main issue with open world they created is lack of random events and replayability. Everything always on its places, so second walkthrough nothing can surprise you (except different choices in quests). For example there is Skyrim mod called Immersive patrols where soldiers from two sides of war patrolling roads and sometimes can clash with each other or random bandits/wildlife. It is always happening in different places and it makes the world feel more alive. I dont see why they couldnt add same mechanics in W3, add bandit raids on villages, predators hunting the prey. Hopefully in their next project they put more focus into it. Replayability is huge in open world games

Actually you do have predators hunting prey. I've seen it countless times, wolves chasing deer and rabbits. I've seen packs of wolves getting in a fight with drowners.

Open world in TW3 is a success I'd say.

I dont have issues with "dragons ahead" message, I understand its a necessary evil. My main issue with open world they created is lack of random events and replayability. Everything always on its places, so second walkthrough nothing can surprise you (except different choices in quests). For example there is Skyrim mod called Immersive patrols where soldiers from two sides of war patrolling roads and sometimes can clash with each other or random bandits/wildlife. It is always happening in different places and it makes the world feel more alive. I dont see why they couldnt add same mechanics in W3, add bandit raids on villages, predators hunting the prey. Hopefully in their next project they put more focus into it. Replayability is huge in open world games

The key word in that is mod, it's something that other people added to the base game , not something that was in the original base game, so maybe modders will be able to do similar things in W3.

...lack of random events and replayability. Everything always on its places, so second walkthrough nothing can surprise you (except different choices in quests).

Did you play TW2 more than once? Have you ever actually taken "the path not chosen" and seen just how friggin' much you miss if you only play a CDPR game once? I see no reason to suspect TW3 will be any different.

If the only differences in playthroughs were your alternate choices... well, that'd be reason enough to anticipate another playthrough, imo.

Big success. Always wanted the series to be open world and CDPR made it happen.
Leveling and XP system needs a few tweaks though. They were so scared that players would become OP that they made leveling tied to the main quest too much while killing monsters feels very unrewarding.

this game is everything DA:I should have been. The designs of that game felt lazy and by the numbers, nice but unremarkable and yet this game keeps stopping in me in my tracks constantly.

I dont mind that the game isnt one open world, it means a greater diversity of areas can be seen. but one related thing I do hate is the fact the maps dont 'end' or such. you just keep getting a world's end message. I would have preferred uncrossable mountains or some such thing. Yes in some games they are pretty bad but I find the way they are handled here worse.

ugh yes don't get me started on DA:I
It was such a disappointment and a terrible game (lifeless open world, bad side quests etc.) can't believe it won so many GOTY awards

TW3 is just on a whole other level

Top Bottom