Open world in TW3-Success or not?

+
Most immersive open world to date. It should have been done a long time ago ... Some publishers had much more credits than CDPR to make some RPG I will not name ... nice lesson you gave CDPR.

/bow

I only just entered novigrad tonight. never have i enjoyed and open world this much.
there's something amazing about riding out of the bog after [redacted] and having an amazing moon rise great as the rain lifts.

I'm 45 hours in - best open world game to date, by far. Skyrim with dozens of popular of mods - if you can even get it to work without constant CTD - doesn't even compare.

I especially love how Novigrad feels like an Assassin's Creed city rather than any other RPG city, it's much more impressive than I expected. Even Oxenfurt seems to be bigger than I thought. Now I am definitely glad that those expansions are coming, can't have enough of this game!

I usually hate open world games, so depending on your perspective, my opinion is either completely meaningless or it's important for that exact reason. TW3 avoids everything I usually dislike about open world games - the glaring disconnect between story and side quests in terms of quality and content, the repetitive copypasta bullshit, the fetch quests (no "collect 24 White Myrtle Petals" so far, anyway), the bland and lifeless world. It has none of that. Everything feels real and alive, and when I stumble across a sidequest on the way to something else, I don't sigh and roll my eyes because it'll just be another variation of something I've already done a dozen times. I'm really not sure how they pulled it off.

I think it does a fantastic job. I have no idea why these comparisons are being made to TES and DA:I, maybe because they are all fantasy titles, but W3 feels much closer to Red Dead Redemption.

42 hours in and still exploring in Velen because of how amazing it looks and how much content there is. The game could stand to have a few more types of activities, but otherwise very impressive.

Of course it's a success. Level 17 and 56 hours in. Though I haven't touched Gwent at all so could be taking even longer if I bothered with that. Will do it when I do Death March difficulty next play-through.

.... My main issue with open world they created is lack of random events and replayability. Everything always on its places, so second walkthrough nothing can surprise you (except different choices in quests).

I can't wait to play a second time just to make different decisions on the" family matters" quest alone. I just finished it already regret my decisions. I have also focused on magic, want to focus on combat next time.

Actually, I haven't played a lot of open world games before (some GTAs and ACs), but I immensely enjoy this one. Seriously, I feel like I couldn't go back to TW2 anymore (I wanted to play it through one last time). CDPR has absolutely nailed it, never have I felt in my 20 hours with the game that the narrative suffers because of the open world. All the different elements of the game just fit together so nicely.

About the main story:
I haven't done a lot of it, I did most of the Bloody Baron questline (which is brilliant so far), and I met Triss for the first time in the game. So far, it's not underwhelming at all for me.

I am in the exact same place as you said in the spoiler. That was one awesome quests with great characters.

I'd say so far major success. Quite surprising.

i do agree that so far (havent completed it yet) this game is better than DA:I.. primarily because of all the stuff you can do and because even the side missions are good story wise.

HOWEVER, i do have to disagree with those that say "this is everything DAI should have been".. reason being... DAI should be more like Pillars of Eternity.. just with the frostbite engine. that game should be more tactical and less action oriented.. unfortunately it tried to do both action and cRPG.. and therefore it came up a little short.

witcher 3 is basically DA:I but with action done (mostly) right (movement is a little clunky in my opinion).

Top Bottom