Opinion - No Display of Opponent's Level on Casual Mode

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, this change happened a few months ago, there might even be new players that didnt know how it was before - when you started a casual match, on the opening screen it showed the level/prestige of your opponent.

Then the devs decided to remove this information. In my opinion, this was a mistake.

Note: this is exclusively about casual mode, the hiding of opponent's name on pro rank is a different subject, for another thread if you want to discuss it.

Unlike most other devoted players, i play mostly on Casual, and maybe having this information of the opponent's level+prestige was more detrimental for newer players than beneficial, but not from my experience.

Before any cards are played, all you have from your opponent are his cosmetics. Since many use Journey cosmetics- both beginners and veterans - this doesnt help much.
I often find myself playing in 'tryhard mode' because of the opponent's leader ability and initial cards, then i start to realize their deck isnt top tier because they lack resources and by that time they're already in a bad situation with no chance of winning. I would prefer to go easy on beginners, maybe try to be helpful instead of an asshole, but that's hard when you dont know the experience of your opponent.

Worse than that is the reverse case, that i've been noticing more lately - high level players intentionally pretending to be newbs by using 'cardsmith' title and other basic trinkets, then they clearly know what they're doing by how fast they react, even when faced with unusual situations. You could argue that trinket selection is an aesthetics choice and those players might simply prefer that set, but i am skeptical and think they're just doing it to try to trick their opponents into underestimating them.

What do you think? Would you prefer to have the level/prestige displayed again?

I don't see any reason why this information can't be shown, and I'm definitely in favor of bringing it back, even if I don't often play Casual matches. Most of the previous complaints seemed to be related to confusion about the different Prestige levels. Maybe they could come up with something more obvious to distinguish the different Prestiges so that a Level 10 Prestige 0 player won't end up asking why another player who appears to also be only Level 10 (but has a much higher Prestige) has a well-built deck packed with Legendaries.

Agreed. I don't see how displaying the information in casual could possibly be problematic. If anything, I agree that it would be a good thing.

Worse than that is the reverse case, that i've been noticing more lately - high level players intentionally pretending to be newbs by using 'cardsmith' title and other basic trinkets, then they clearly know what they're doing by how fast they react, even when faced with unusual situations. You could argue that trinket selection is an aesthetics choice and those players might simply prefer that set, but i am skeptical and think they're just doing it to try to trick their opponents into underestimating them.
Yeah i noticed that too, I guess we can blame the Journey grind for that, I can't remember that I ever encountered so much top tier decks on Casual, but after Blitz Mode was gone they most likely just switched to casual for quick and easy wins against non meta decks with top tier Decks for a faster journey progression.

I would prefer they would display the information again, I didn't really get why they removed it in Casual mode in the first place.

Last edited:
It's not very important to me, but if I had a choice, it would be nice to see the Rank/Prestige at least.
Although I don't know if it helps newer players if I don't make optimal choices. If I don't, they might think their deck is better than it actually is...

I very much would like to know when I face a relative novice. I don’t think it helps them to deliberately misplay, but I can mulligan away golds if I know my opponent lacks top cards for their deck. It might be helpful to know how many spare provisions a deck has as well.

by the way, I also am not a big fan of ornaments— I play base over premium cards, no avatar, and no border (my one vanity is title). ‘‘This is not to deceive anyone about my ability, but is an aesthetic choice. I also often play suboptimal decks, either because they are fun, or to learn new cards. I have observed people to play down to me occasionally because of this — and I while I appreciate their thoughtfully, I always regret when they do. Forfeiting to give them back a win they deserved doesn’t always feel right either.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I very much would like to know when I face a relative novice. I don’t think it helps them to deliberately misplay, but I can mulligan away golds if I know my opponent lacks top cards for their deck. It might be helpful to know how many spare provisions a deck has as well.

by the way, I also am not a big fan of ornaments— I play base over premium cards, no avatar, and no border (my one vanity is title). ‘‘This is not to deceive anyone about my ability, but is an aesthetic choice. I also often play suboptimal decks, either because they are fun, or to learn new cards. I have observed people to play down to me occasionally because of this — and I while I appreciate their thoughtfully, I always regret when they do. Forfeiting to give them back a win they deserved doesn’t always feel right either.

When i realize im facing a new player, i dont do misplays either, there are other ways to be helpful:
-Point out with emotes, when they make a good play and when they make a bad one (although depending on the leader, sometimes the message and intention isnt as clear as you would wish)
-Be more patient with the timer, if i see them reading the card descriptions, instead of pressuring with 'hurry' emotes
-Dont push R2, or at least give them the round, it might be humiliating going into a R3 when they are down 1/2CA but at least they get more resources from winning at least one round, for crowns and quests

-Personally, i respect the memes and tricky combos, so if i see one about to be attempted, that might involve a lot of RNG, i dont counter it even if i have them (locks/removal)

- I agree with the prestige lvl inclusion in the game's matchup screen, even thought atm the game is doing poorly in properly distinguishing the lower prestige lvls.

- I my self have came across players using default cosmetics and the "cardsmith" tittle, pretty suspicious.
The times that it's legitmately a newbie instead of a pretender especially after the "no show prestige" update are pretty rare so I always "tryhard" if i see it.

The times that I hold back is when I see people playing "quest decks", I always give em one round.

I often find myself playing in 'tryhard mode' because of the opponent's leader ability and initial cards, then i start to realize their deck isnt top tier because they lack resources and by that time they're already in a bad situation with no chance of winning. I would prefer to go easy on beginners, maybe try to be helpful instead of an asshole, but that's hard when you dont know the experience of your opponent.

What do you think? Would you prefer to have the level/prestige displayed again?

Agree completely. I'm a casual player and not overly good, at best I maintain a 50/50% or if i have a good month 55/45% win/loss rate each month. I started playing casual because I was under the impression ranked for was mainly for pro players. Instead I found myself being annihilated by very, very good players and decks. But I could at least see what their experience was and prepare myself for the heavy loss I was about to have. I can't do that anymore.

And like you say good players are now just disguising their experience.

Sadly, I just don't think this game is casual player friendly, and I don't believe it ever will be.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Agree completely. I'm a casual player and not overly good, at best I maintain a 50/50% or if i have a good month 55/45% win/loss rate each month. I started playing casual because I was under the impression ranked for was mainly for pro players. Instead I found myself being annihilated by very, very good players and decks. But I could at least see what their experience was and prepare myself for the heavy loss I was about to have. I can't do that anymore.

And like you say good players are now just disguising their experience.

Sadly, I just don't think this game is casual player friendly, and I don't believe it ever will be.

I agree - Gwent is probably not casual-friendly, at least in regards of gamemodes and matchmaking to players of same level. It might be more generous and have faster progression than other rival CCGs, but if new players dont have a mode where they feel comfortable playing, something must be wrong.

Its been like this for a long time now - ranked mode is more "casual" in ranks 30-10, maybe even up to 5, than casual/unranked mode itself, where you can be matched to anyone (and most likely, that wont be another new player...)

Two points went under the table:
- matchmaking was also changed, so it's more likely to get a player at your level (rank / prestige)
- without display there are no prejudices

At first I also thought it's an disadvantage. It was like playing blind but I was getting used to it and now I think it's better than before.
As seasonal/unranked player I'am not happy with 0:2 or 2:0. The current and propably the next season are destined for those results. Sure, there are drawbacks like playing against new players. On the other hand I don't have to think, even before the game starts: "wow, prestige 10", "damn, a pro player", ...

Top Bottom