Opinions by gamers.

+
My review ala IGN: http://rr.pc.ign.com/rrview/pc/the_witcher/682220/73920/Wonderful game, I rated it a 9.6 overall.

I have not completed the game - so it is not appropriate to give it a "score". My first impression.review after about 40 hours of play is up on our site, however:So what makes The Witcher such a treat? Simply put: everything. It’s graphically leading edge and the art direction on the game is just awesome. The texture artists and environmental designers at CD Projekt have seriously raised the bar with the environmental artwork in this game. The authentic medieval feel to the buildings in The Witcheris, in a word, perfect. The look of The Witcher is like our own Tir Na n’Og design style used in Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, except on steroids; we absolutely love it.Happily, the ambience of that art direction bleeds over into the rest of the game. The cutscenes, voice acting and dialog in the game are remarkably good. That does not mean there are not some things with a few rough spots here and there – but overall - it’s damned decent writing by developers whose primary language is Polish, not English. Considering that these writers do not have a decade plus of direct Triple A experience at this, it flows much better than I expected it would. Good artists are hard to find; but good writers are much, much harder to find than that. For their first effort, the result is very laudable indeed. Complete first impression/review noted here: http://www.dladventures.com

So far I really like the game. Now I've not played too many RPG's, the most hardcore one would have to be Gothic 2, and the rest things like Diablo II and some MMORPG's. The graphics are very nice and the story seems to be coming along very well. I like the cut-scenes, very well done, and the combat is very intriguing. However there are a few problems I have with it. Like other's I'm not very fond of the load times. It's not so much they take long, they're actually decently speedy on my computer, but theres so many of them. Every time I have to go in a house to maybe pick up a piece of flint I've got wait for it to load to go in, and then load to come out. It just seems to me that it is a little unnecessary, but I can get past it. Although one thing I find extremely odd is when you go up and down stairs. It just seems to jump you like 2 stairs. I start going up and it moves me like a foot for some reason, kinda takes away from the atmosphere of the game in my opinion. Other than what seems like some unnecessary loading jumps I really like the game. Can't wait to play some more, in fact, I think I'll get to that right now.

Steiner said:
Nice Game i played for the 10 minutes till it crashes. the heavy bugs make the game unplayable for a lot of vista users!Fix the exit-building-securom-crash please! i stopped playing because of that an i am not allone! :mad:
You mean Vista makes the game unplayable for a lot of users.

Tyranith said:
Tyranith said:
Nice Game i played for the 10 minutes till it crashes. the heavy bugs make the game unplayable for a lot of vista users!Fix the exit-building-securom-crash please! i stopped playing because of that an i am not allone! :mad:
You mean Vista makes the game unplayable for a lot of users.
I have been playing for around 20 hours now, with just one crash to the desktop...Spec isVista Ultimate, 2Gb Mem, AMD 4200 (Dual Core) CPU, Nvidia Geforce 7900GSI tried to ensure that all the appropriate drivers, patchs were installed (even Beta drivers where available)....and fortunately have not encountered any other issues, so the big question is, are we looking at an OS or associated h/w driver issue.

Hi,i dont know if this was posted yet, anyways, take a look here to see what owners of the game think and how they rate it compared to the press:http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/witcher#usersactual standing (1.11.2007) metascore is 81 out of 100 (6 reviews), user score 9.7 of 10 (134 ratings)enough said, the users like it (me too) and thats the most important thing!greetings

For a while we have experienced a dearth in good PC games as devs have tended to concentrate on the console market. We are seeing a run down and shrinkage of PC games on the shelves, then out of the blue...along comes Witcher. I hope that this game will initiate a more positive support by devs around the world for the PC platform, where the more 'mature' gamers play.As for Witcher itself. This is a very good game, containing many elements that I want to see. CDProj. have certainly upped the ante on the concept of PC gaming, and I hope that they continue to support and develop what they have created...there is certainly a market out there, and it looks to me, considering the way this game has flown off the shelves, that it deserves more than just a first-phase consideration, now comes the game's 'richer' development and the beginning of a partnership with the game's fan base. So far, everything is as it should be, but let no-one rest on their laurels.Excellent - 9.5 out of 10!Best wishes

Hi,I've been around PC and games since 1999. I've come to know Diablo II, Sacred and most RPG's that don't play online and I can tell you this: I've never had so much fun playing an RPG since Diablo II. Your story so far is great, the choices are believable and the fact that your choices only come later into fruition is the best invention you've had. Add to that: the graphics are beautiful, so much that it doesn't need to be the latest invention from whoever. Thanks for that, guys.The only thing are the loading times. I've experienced two crashes until now (Vista Ultimate-User) so that's not too bad for me. But the loading times are the only thing that really bugs me. Sorry, but that could benefit from some improvement.Other than that? Nothing. It's a great game. Period. To those critics that don't give it a 95% score: You don't know anything.see ya

The game really rocks. A rpg should look like this. What i really like is that i can run this game on my 3000+ / 1,5 Gg Ram and 1950 Pro 512 Ram on 1280x1024 on med Details with about 40FPS constantly.Thought it wouldnt run, but it runs and looks great true. Main think i like about it is the violence. Games with such atmosphere require a small ammount of violence, and some of the finishing move are just too good.Just 1 Prob im encountering. Since i installed the patch my game always crashes, when i try entering the sewers or the cementery. Im actually at chapter 3 and i dont have access to those locations. Before the patch ive been too the sewers couple of times but i didnt went too the cementary. Any1 got a clue?

Man, I love this game! I can't say enough about it. Ever since I got things running smoothly, it's been an incredible experience. I don't really understand why it's not racking up the 9s and 10s on gaming site reviews though. I guess those guys just don't put in enough game time, since all the player reviews I've seen have been nothing but high scores and enthusiasm. Great job on a great game! Hurrah! Hurrah!

The Game is probably one of the best RPG ever!There are only two things that are pretty annoying and that were already better solved by other games.The first one is the limited inventory, its the same old story, you have to leave things behind or you have to sell them even if you dont want too. This is completely rubbish. Make infinite capacity for the inventory, that would be much better.The Second thing are the missing teleporters, there are only a few and not in all "Main" places of the game. Would be good if there were teleporters like for example in Sacred, i liked that very much!

spba78 said:
The Game is probably one of the best RPG ever!There are only two things that are pretty annoying and that were already better solved by other games.The first one is the limited inventory, its the same old story, you have to leave things behind or you have to sell them even if you dont want too. This is completely rubbish. Make infinite capacity for the inventory, that would be much better.
Do you understand that the point of the game is to make choices? You're being asked to prioritise and choose what you want. I much, much prefer that to some horribly unrealistic carry whatever and however much you want sop to casual gamers who want everything handed to them on a plate. I didn't want to have a go at you but that attitude is indicative of so much that is wrong with gaming at the moment and it's the sort of thing publishers pander to spoiling good games in the process. I like the Witcher because it's the antithesis of that hand holding no consequences RPG so please don't change it devs!If I was to criticise the inventory system it would be that the items you carry are represented by rather small icons in your inventory so it's hard to see sometimes what's what. It'd also be nce to have a button to autosort these items into types so you can easier identify the ingredients from the potions.

Man you are playing RPG´s and wanna tell me the game gets unrealistic if there´s infinite inventory ??????? This game is completely unrealistic if you havent noted that so far ( at least i havent met any ghuls or vampires in real life..... ::)) Its all about entertainment, we dont have to win a "most realistic rpg ever"- Contest. And making choices is absolutely great as long as it concerns the story of the game but i dont wanna waste my time on managing inventories and running around for half an hour just to get from one place to the next.So dont get me wrong, i see your point of view and i´m sure many people would agree with you, but also many players would be in my opinion. Would be good if there was a possibility for every player to choose if he wants it or not maybe in the options menue. An autosort button is also a nice idea, i would appreciate that.

I meant realistic more in the sense of an internally consistent world. Sure some of the stuff in the witcher is "fantastic" but it's presented in a believable way. i just don'tfeel a sack that never gets full would fit with the sort of ethos that this game has. I really rail against what you're saying because it's the sort of design decisions and way of thinking that led to Oblivion being so soulless.

I really like the game but............... Why release an early beta stage of the game rather than a proper stable build. Even with all the patches/hotfixes whatnot this game is about as the titanic after it hit an iceberg.Thats my opinion as a gamer.

Best RPG ever.I really hope you make some kind of addon.An RPG for adult gamers is a great idea. Finally great quests, and a truly touching story. Some more spells would be great though ;)

I only can fall into line with the other opinions. It was a pleasure to play this game, resolve these different kinds of quests (not only kill this and that quests). A touching story, combined with great sound, nice movie scenes and beautiful graphics, fit together like a great puzzle.Many thanks

Reiver said:
I meant realistic more in the sense of an internally consistent world. Sure some of the stuff in the witcher is "fantastic" but it's presented in a believable way. i just don'tfeel a sack that never gets full would fit with the sort of ethos that this game has. I really rail against what you're saying because it's the sort of design decisions and way of thinking that led to Oblivion being so soulless.
QFTthis is one of the first qualities I seek in a good and deep game. no matter what genre

Okay,my opinion then :DOne of the best games ever to be made...I know it still has some flaws,but i'm sure the devs are working VERY hard to overcome those flaws...I had some probs in the beginning with a "dvd not in the drive"problem but with the help of the devs and a little experimenting on my own,i found the solution and started playing...And damned,I'm already planning on playing a second time,only to make different choices then the first time.Believe me when i say then NO other game had that effect on me...And i played them all:Daggerfall,NWN1 and 2,Morrowind&Oblivion with tons of Plug-ins,Divine&Beyond Divinity,Diablo1&2,BG 1&2,Icewind Dale....

Best RPG i ever played!The graphics are stunning! The atmosphere is so realistic! Playing this game feels just like reading a good fantasy book!Finally someone had the guts to create something original instead of copying other games... Kudos to you guys! I hope the other Gaming companies would follow your example and understand that it's not all about stunning graphics and special effects, It's also about the story of the game, about creating something new!If I can make some constructive critique, I found only one thing that bothered me a bit: The loading time!If you can make the game load/save faster, I would give it a 10! :)Keep up the good work,Iulian

Top Bottom