Opinions on Gwent's Current State

+
came back to gwent after a while, only to get reminded in a couple of games why i left it, how can u guys still play this atrocious boring unfair garbage is beyond me

I came back just for the new journey and the hope that this expansion will fix things up. I feel you though, same decks everywhere, both casual and ranked.

Been playing for about 6 months now (sort of around the start of pandemic) after playing through thronebreaker. Got to pro rank I think towards the end of season of Dryad so after about 3 months of playing but playing almost every day. I am not trying to humble brag but the thing that kept me able to put enough time into the game to do so was not putting so much emphasis on the outcome. Like there is no way to win every game and unless you are enjoying the process whats the point of playing?

Even though I run into sheildwall, overwhelming hunger and SK warriors over and over again I try not to get to attached to beating them or whining about how strong their deck is and often times will surprise myself and win with a supposedly weaker deck anyways. Not only that but on the ladder I run into a weird deck I havent ever seen before almost every day and sometimes incorporate one of their strategies into my play style. (Fisher king + SK discard is one I play all the time now based on a ladder opponent I played, thanks bud.)

Most importantly once I stop having fun, I stop playing. It makes it feel like less of a grind and more like something I enjoy doing in my freetime. Once you do that the wins come more easily and the losses don't sting as much.

Been playing for about 6 months now (sort of around the start of pandemic) after playing through thronebreaker. Got to pro rank I think towards the end of season of Dryad so after about 3 months of playing but playing almost every day. I am not trying to humble brag but the thing that kept me able to put enough time into the game to do so was not putting so much emphasis on the outcome. Like there is no way to win every game and unless you are enjoying the process whats the point of playing?

Even though I run into sheildwall, overwhelming hunger and SK warriors over and over again I try not to get to attached to beating them or whining about how strong their deck is and often times will surprise myself and win with a supposedly weaker deck anyways. Not only that but on the ladder I run into a weird deck I havent ever seen before almost every day and sometimes incorporate one of their strategies into my play style. (Fisher king + SK discard is one I play all the time now based on a ladder opponent I played, thanks bud.)

Most importantly once I stop having fun, I stop playing. It makes it feel like less of a grind and more like something I enjoy doing in my freetime. Once you do that the wins come more easily and the losses don't sting as much.

I would put much emphasis on the fun factor, which is the main reason I now play like 2-3 games, if any, in a week.
While one's attitude certainly helps, sometimes the frustration gets to you, especially when months passes without any of the problems being really fixed.
Not everyone is aiming to pro rank ( which is supposed to be the "stressful" part of the game ), but the problem is that you encounter meta decks in casual mode.
One thing that really surprises me is that appearently everyone hate netdecking yet the same people who do this use netdecks in casual, even people on this forum which spend most of time writing "nerf this, nerf that".

I would put much emphasis on the fun factor, which is the main reason I now play like 2-3 games, if any, in a week.
While one's attitude certainly helps, sometimes the frustration gets to you, especially when months passes without any of the problems being really fixed.
Not everyone is aiming to pro rank ( which is supposed to be the "stressful" part of the game ), but the problem is that you encounter meta decks in casual mode.
One thing that really surprises me is that appearently everyone hate netdecking yet the same people who do this use netdecks in casual, even people on this forum which spend most of time writing "nerf this, nerf that".
So many urban legends and false conceptions nowadays.

1. Stress exclusive to Pro rank: this was never the case. Stress can come from very personal and definitely various sources. This is a COMPETITIVE game - no matter which mode you play (unless we are joking around in Training), you will be matched against another player. If you lose, you lose just the same as you'd in Pro. Taunts, BM and the overall frustration of not being able to win will get to you just the same. At the same time, there are lots with different mindset who don't get tilted even after massive grinds at Pro - this is about the person playing the game in 90% and 10% the actual game.

2. Meta decks on Casual: this was always the same, if we remove our nostalgia-glasses. I'd go one step further - this was and is the same for all similar CCGs I ever tried. The world, where all the good and creative souls gather around in friendly circles to play happy, calm, mutually successful matches with definitely non-meta decks in Casual mode - just never existed. Like, ever. On the contrary, as I see it, a lot of bitter and unsuccessful players who fail at competitve ranks "drop down" to casual and try to vent their frustration there on others. I for example never get as many BMs on consecutive Pro matches in a week as I get in one day at casual. People there are significantly more aggressive as I see it. And again, most players want quick wins, quick success, the best decks and quick self-justification - without the actual grind, the actual commitment on ranked/Pro, without investing into an own deck. These people avoid ranked like fire - as it will quickly bring down their otherwise fragile egos. So yes, meta decks on casual is pretty much a staple.

3. Everyone hate netdecking: sure, of course. Again, I believe 90+% of the community actively uses netdecks, or lies to him/herself that the one-card modification they did counts as a unique idea. Nah, in reality the active and competitve playerbase greatly relies on netdecks, a good portion is updating them on a daily basis.
My favorite part with this is checking the ladder after each day where a popular streamer releases a youtube guide on one archetype - you can immediately, right after one day see these decks appear on the ladder (and casual) :)

4. Forums are a good way to get an idea about the community: not at all. This is a tiny bubble of information, where usually the same 10-20 players share their ideas. And also important to mention that those who are happy with the game usually tend to visit and vent their feelings lot less than those who feel angry, etc.

2. Meta decks on Casual: this was always the same, if we remove our nostalgia-glasses. I'd go one step further - this was and is the same for all similar CCGs I ever tried. The world, where all the good and creative souls gather around in friendly circles to play happy, calm, mutually successful matches with definitely non-meta decks in Casual mode - just never existed. Like, ever. On the contrary, as I see it, a lot of bitter and unsuccessful players who fail at competitve ranks "drop down" to casual and try to vent their frustration there on others. I for example never get as many BMs on consecutive Pro matches in a week as I get in one day at casual. People there are significantly more aggressive as I see it. And again, most players want quick wins, quick success, the best decks and quick self-justification - without the actual grind, the actual commitment on ranked/Pro, without investing into an own deck. These people avoid ranked like fire - as it will quickly bring down their otherwise fragile egos. So yes, meta decks on casual is pretty much a staple.

This is also in line with my experience. Whenever I go to unranked to try out a new deck I usually go up against something pretty oppressive. Its also where I find people use taunts the most which is also weird. After a little while I found that ranked ironically had less try-hards. :shrug:

So many urban legends and false conceptions nowadays.

1. Stress exclusive to Pro rank: this was never the case. Stress can come from very personal and definitely various sources. This is a COMPETITIVE game - no matter which mode you play (unless we are joking around in Training), you will be matched against another player. If you lose, you lose just the same as you'd in Pro. Taunts, BM and the overall frustration of not being able to win will get to you just the same. At the same time, there are lots with different mindset who don't get tilted even after massive grinds at Pro - this is about the person playing the game in 90% and 10% the actual game.

3. Everyone hate netdecking: sure, of course. Again, I believe 90+% of the community actively uses netdecks, or lies to him/herself that the one-card modification they did counts as a unique idea. Nah, in reality the active and competitve playerbase greatly relies on netdecks, a good portion is updating them on a daily basis.
My favorite part with this is checking the ladder after each day where a popular streamer releases a youtube guide on one archetype - you can immediately, right after one day see these decks appear on the ladder (and casual) :)

4. Forums are a good way to get an idea about the community: not at all. This is a tiny bubble of information, where usually the same 10-20 players share their ideas. And also important to mention that those who are happy with the game usually tend to visit and vent their feelings lot less than those who feel angry, etc.

I fail to see to see of this wall of text adresses false legends and misconceptions, like seriously, you basically confirmed my points.
I just wanted to add that " is the same for any other CCGs" shouldn't be an excuse and gwent can, and should, aim to be better than many other CCGs.

I fail to see to see of this wall of text adresses false legends and misconceptions, like seriously, you basically confirmed my points.
I just wanted to add that " is the same for any other CCGs" shouldn't be an excuse and gwent can, and should, aim to be better than many other CCGs.
I gladly summarize it for you in short sentences, if that is better and more comforting to digest.

You say I confirm your points (in this case I'm glad we are on the same page), yet with your final sentence you blame this on the game again. Here I suggest reading that wall of text for further context.
At some point it is worth understanding that a good chunk of "issues with xyz game" are issues generated by the players themselves. Netdecking, meta decks in casual are prime examples for this. Asking CDPR (or any other company) to help us manage our lives better is an odd way to look at things.

I gladly summarize it for you in short sentences, if that is better and more comforting to digest.

You say I confirm your points (in this case I'm glad we are on the same page), yet with your final sentence you blame this on the game again. Here I suggest reading that wall of text for further context.
At some point it is worth understanding that a good chunk of "issues with xyz game" are issues generated by the players themselves. Netdecking, meta decks in casual are prime examples for this. Asking CDPR (or any other company) to help us manage our lives better is an odd way to look at things.

I've always said that the fault lies on the playerbase, hell I've even create a topic about that searching for a "solution". I'm sorry If you misunderstood me, we have been basically saying the same things ahah :shrug:.

If they did ranked draft play, I'd say play draft instead. Draft is probably the most balanced of the Gwent play atm imo.

many chinese players like myself is thinking about quitting.but my reason is that time after time. chinese players always get treated unfairly from the RED. like this time the big 8.0 patch. as you guys enjoying ur games, chinese players cant even log in. (chinese gwent has a different server than the others and its in poland, in RED)

for ppl like me in china, i re-ordered the packs like all the other players in other countries, but i have to been waiting for 24+ more hrs to play the game? ITS UNFAIR!

and its not the 1st time for this kinda thing, every big patch, chinese players were the latest to be able to log in the game! TEAM RED, are you telling me in 2020, a big game company like yours can not let ppl from a certain country like china to log in your game like the others ?

the chinese gwent community is so sad and angry about it!!!

Can definitely relate. Felt really burned out from Gwent and took a 3 month break, the new expansion is pretty fun tho.

many chinese players like myself is thinking about quitting.but my reason is that time after time. chinese players always get treated unfairly from the RED. like this time the big 8.0 patch. as you guys enjoying ur games, chinese players cant even log in. (chinese gwent has a different server than the others and its in poland, in RED)

for ppl like me in china, i re-ordered the packs like all the other players in other countries, but i have to been waiting for 24+ more hrs to play the game? ITS UNFAIR!

and its not the 1st time for this kinda thing, every big patch, chinese players were the latest to be able to log in the game! TEAM RED, are you telling me in 2020, a big game company like yours can not let ppl from a certain country like china to log in your game like the others ?

Yes, these are valid reasons for being frustrated - I really hope your situation gets resolved (or is already), as well as it will improve on the long run. Good luck in the new expansion, it is definitely worth the wait (even if this does not help much, I know).

Yes, these are valid reasons for being frustrated - I really hope your situation gets resolved (or is already), as well as it will improve on the long run. Good luck in the new expansion, it is definitely worth the wait (even if this does not help much, I know).
lol, thank man, although we still cant log in...i think we will have to wait till RED staff starts to work in poland...(now its 9:45AM there...and its been said they start to work around 11AM...so...)

Guest 4375874

that's not exactly the devs fault though. You do realize certain cards are even restricted and they have to redesign them in order to avoid the game being blocked by China. Look at the Chinese version of "spontaneous evolution" or "Succubus". After a large expansion it's understandable if the country has restrictions that the devs would have to examine that afterwards rather than delay for everyone because of one countries restrictions. Don't get me wrong, I've left the game myself for balancing reasons but it wouldn't be fair to blame them for this. And remember there's still a pandemic so a lot of factors to consider.

that's not exactly the devs fault though. You do realize certain cards are even restricted and they have to redesign them in order to avoid the game being blocked by China. Look at the Chinese version of "spontaneous evolution" or "Succubus". After a large expansion it's understandable if the country has restrictions that the devs would have to examine that afterwards rather than delay for everyone because of one countries restrictions. Don't get me wrong, I've left the game myself for balancing reasons but it wouldn't be fair to blame them for this. And remember there's still a pandemic so a lot of factors to consider.
Lmao I just looked for some of the Chinese censored cards! xD I didn't even know that was a thing... But couldn't find ones from the latest expansion... Can you link them? ^-^

I enjoy this game , but I am often considering quitting. I am finding it just too frustrating.

I can have just one win to go to earn a title for example, but it will literally take me hours or days even to achieve. I feel I am really wasting my time and getting no where playing this game !

Gwent game developers should give something to people who play, but lose, to at least give us something to look forward to.

For example: rewards for playing x number of times regardless of win / lose.

I enjoy this game , but I am often considering quitting. I am finding it just too frustrating.

I can have just one win to go to earn a title for example, but it will literally take me hours or days even to achieve. I feel I am really wasting my time and getting no where playing this game !

Gwent game developers should give something to people who play, but lose, to at least give us something to look forward to.

For example: rewards for playing x number of times regardless of win / lose.

That's the thing I've proposed many times but I guess they aren't changing it anytime soon. Too much focus on the competitive side, even in non ranked mode.
I would like to give you an advice though, change your attitude towards the game. I know it is frustrating to lose or playing knowing from R1 that your deck isn't gonna win you the game, but just try to take it easy. When you find yourself too frustrated to play try draft mode or simply move to training against bots and try to tweak your deck or, you know, simply log out. These days it's a miracle If I play even 1-2 times a week, I just try to get the journey quest done ( the calculator says I need 0 crowns per day to reach level 100 so I can really chill this time ahah ) and that's okay for me. So yeah, try to find your balance. I will probably quit again after this journey because I don't really like how this company is turning to and I don't want to spend any more money on a game with so little support from a company of this scale but that's my thing I guess.
Have you started play recently? How many cards have you got?
Try to focus on 1 faction first if you started recently, eg: MO ( easy and braindead decks, no shame in it ).
If you are not a new player, trust me, you're not the only one feeling like this, even if this expansion is in a pretty good shape compared to the monstruosity MM was.

Guest 4375874

Lmao I just looked for some of the Chinese censored cards! xD I didn't even know that was a thing... But couldn't find ones from the latest expansion... Can you link them? ^-^

They had to add clothing to some cards and change others to look not so grotesque.

Attachments

• k54x3vnkvx361.jpg
    k54x3vnkvx361.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 2bivam0lvx361.jpg
    2bivam0lvx361.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 433
  • rhgzs75kvx361.jpg
    rhgzs75kvx361.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 87
1st one looks like someone's into BDSM.. That's a very modern dress for the Succubi :p ... and for the wolf abomination, that still looks disturbing even when moderated. :/ poor thing.
Pretty damn interesting though.

Top Bottom