Opinions on Gwent's Current State

+
In my old age (29) I don't think I will ever understand streamers or why people care what they do. Just from the thumbnail is he switching to Genshin Impact? Now that's quite a brainless game.

McBeard isn't just a steamer though, he's also a castor. Meaning he's on the game's payroll. So when someone like that comes out and says he's lost all interest in Gwent, it's kind of a big deal in terms of the games image.

His main complaint is that Gwent doesn't have a clear roadmap like its more popular competitors (Legends of Runeterra and MTG). It's hard to have faith in the game's future when CDPR apparently has nothing planned ahead.

It's not like McBeard leaving is something new though. All of Gwent's biggest content creators left the game a long time ago.

Just from the thumbnail is he switching to Genshin Impact? Now that's quite a brainless game.
I have no opinion on the game itself genshin impact that is, but I do watch mcbeard's streams now and then and he looks more content and in a sense more happier now than when he was streaming gwent. As long as he's enjoying the game it's also more fun to watch even if I don't understand it.

I'll miss the chemistry between him and Flake, best casters imo.

I don't think I will ever understand streamers or why people care what they do.

A cardgame like gwent need streamers. It would be great publicity for gwent if someone like for example "pewdiepie" started playing the game. It needs streamers with lots of viewers playing it, I'm also to old to understand it, but people tend to play what the "cool kids" on the internet play. It's free marketing.

Guest 4375874

I have no opinion on the game itself genshin impact that is, but I do watch mcbeard's streams now and then and he looks more content and in a sense more happier now than when he was streaming gwent. As long as he's enjoying the game it's also more fun to watch even if I don't understand it.

I'll miss the chemistry between him and Flake, best casters imo.

A cardgame like gwent need streamers. It would be great publicity for gwent if someone like for example "pewdiepie" started playing the game. It needs streamers with lots of viewers playing it, I'm also to old to understand it, but people tend to play what the "cool kids" on the internet play. It's free marketing.
pewdiepie? I don't think what the game is missing is toxic streamers. The "cool" kids as you put it are often fleeting individuals that sway with the current narrative. We saw how appealing to the cool kids worked out for Cyberpunk 2077. Best to focus on their core fanbase that will attract loyal players who will build the community, not just on board because it's cool in the moment and whip out their pitchforks when it's not.

I always see this topic and ask for myself when i Will create a topic like this.

Ita funny, but for now, i am not having much fun playing The game. This meta toxic with Block, kills, thin The opponent deck, lockdown leader and everything else its not for me.

I dont whant Just pointslam but I dont like to play olny counter, so i think The game should balance that.

I am thinking to play another game

Last edited:
I always see this topic and ask for myself when i Will create a topic like this.

Ita funny, but for now, i am not having much fun playing The game. This meta toxic with Block, kills, thin The opponent deck, lockdown leader and everything else its not for me.

I dont whant Just pointslam but I dont like to play olny counter, so i think The game should balance that.

I am thinking to play another game
Sure thing, have a break, shorter or longer - it always helps.
Even when things go smooth it is reasonable to focus on something else time after time. And when things are not according to your taste, probably it's your best bet to try and play something else for a while.

Ive definitely been playing this way too much, which makes me more prone to getting mad. I did plan to take a break yesterday, only to come here and see a new event has started pulling me in... :giveup:

By now, ive gotten used to losing against metadecks when using more creative decks, i hate that is how it is, but at least its understandable. However, today ive had a couple of matches that really triggered me, because ive had my opponents doing huge mistakes (using the NG cook to poison his own unit when he meant to purify it, using NR Leader R1 and still losing without getting CA), im actually countering their big plays (heatwave on ball, eleyas on Joachim to stop the coup play, having a full row so the usurper play only spawns one agent), and somehow i still lost.

The Gwent tagline, that's there since its inception - "a strategy card game of choices and consequences, where skill, not luck, is your greatest weapon." - I dont think this tag has ever been more wrong.
Some players like to think that beta players are biased because of nostalgia when saying its better than current Gwent, but the truth is at least on beta, no metadecks used by my opponents would be good enough to save them from mistakes or playing them poorly, at least on those situations i could win everytime, now not so much.

Ive definitely been playing this way too much, which makes me more prone to getting mad. I did plan to take a break yesterday, only to come here and see a new event has started pulling me in... :giveup:

By now, ive gotten used to losing against metadecks when using more creative decks, i hate that is how it is, but at least its understandable. However, today ive had a couple of matches that really triggered me, because ive had my opponents doing huge mistakes (using the NG cook to poison his own unit when he meant to purify it, using NR Leader R1 and still losing without getting CA), im actually countering their big plays (heatwave on ball, eleyas on Joachim to stop the coup play, having a full row so the usurper play only spawns one agent), and somehow i still lost.

The Gwent tagline, that's there since its inception - "a strategy card game of choices and consequences, where skill, not luck, is your greatest weapon." - I dont think this tag has ever been more wrong.
Some players like to think that beta players are biased because of nostalgia when saying its better than current Gwent, but the truth is at least on beta, no metadecks used by my opponents would be good enough to save them from mistakes or playing them poorly, at least on those situations i could win everytime, now not so much.
Well, i really whant The devs starts to listening to veterans players like you.

Ng was always to strong (even in those 2 months we dindt see a tier 1 or 2 decks, i still fell NG was tô strong) but now its Just ridiculous.

But not only NG, The game comes to a wrong direction. This madocs decks are another toxic decks and i dont know why devs create that card.

Well, i am thinking a lot how to defeat that kolgrim lockdown and i always think If my opponent has a Good hand (and when i say a Good hand i mean you have some Good cards, and not only trash) i think its impossible to beat it

Everyone that like to make and play their own decks shouldnt play this anymore. The tier 1 decks are just to ridiculous. Its become the cardgame for netdeckers. Its sad, cause i used to love this game. Still playing sometimes, but I am NOT enjoying it.
Post automatically merged:

Then you change your deck to one that has a better matchup. And if you are grinding mmr and you need to play one faction, then you wait a week. It usually comes in waves. Everyone played Viy at first. Then Lockdown came, and nobody played Viy. When people play more Elves or Assimilate, then Lockdown won't be so popular anymore.

What helps is giving up on the notion that some decks are bs and playing the meta as it is.
To make the game more fun it needs more rng. People wanted less rng and this is the result, the game becomes boring after a while.
Personally i want more rng in this game because i don't care at all about the competitive side.
Evern the rng cards are not really rng, cause that blueboy always snipe down my best card

I took a break for roughly 2 1/2 to 3 months and it did wonders. When I started my break the game was really boring. It was pissing me off that a very small number of decks were dominating, both in pro-rank and in lower rank. The game was just annoying and boring as you always had to deal against the same old competitive decks, rarely a few meme decks here and there. If a game forces you to play a few winning combos, then that game is broken.

Less than a week ago I came back and I have to say that the Way of the Witcher expansion feels a little bit more fresh and this doesn't have to do only with the introduction of new cards. If anything, it brought a bit more deck variety and the game overall does not restrict you to playing a few select combinations to win as it was before. Furthermore, some of the new cards are just fun to play.

I am a bit sad that my favorite faction, Syndicate, got completely neglected by the latest expansion. The self-poison archetype is quite meh, although the last patch improved the Salamandra Mage a lot. Seriously, a 5p card that can get you a maximum of 11 points and coins if you pay other tributes is just nuts.

I quit Gwent long ago, haven't played since Crimson Curse was about to release. I'm one of those that every 6 months or so I lurk into these forums and Reddit to see if finally, the team will get charitable and give us a version of Beta (or something funner than what is present), which obviously will never happen.

However every time I look around these places, theirs always a topic similar to this one by OP talking about unhappiness with the game, quitting, lack of stable direction, etc. I know you see this in similar games, but the gripes for this game have been here since the beginning (reasons why a lot of the streamers left. I can't believe that McBeard quit. Wow, just found out). My question to you veteran guys, why are you staying? Do you still see a future with this game after what, 3-4 years? Like man, DRK3, I've seen you in these forums since forever. Yet what you wrote:
Similar comments have been stated before again and again. So why stay? I get that It's hard to quit ( I know, it took me a while, but I lost all faith in this team) but really there are better games out there. Card games not many (Mythgard is interesting if you guys care) but still... Just a thought. See you in 6 months.

My question to you veteran guys, why are you staying?
Because the game is still a lot of fun and it's heading in the right direction. Slama and his team are on a good path, despite the occasional issues. :shrug:

(I'm aware some people will disregard this opinion because it's mine, but I stopped caring a long time ago.)

These topics keep popping up, true, but a game's playerbase changing over time is hardly news. Some old players may be leaving but new players keep coming. That's just how it goes.

but really there are better games out there.
On this specific market of CCGs? Not for me for example - and I'm a veteran player coming from a different title to Gwent.
Not only do I like this specific card game as it is (while also being critical with it's obvious shortcomings and areas where it needs to improve), I also happen to like it a lot better than the current competitors available.

As for popular or veteran faces leaving certain titles, it is really nothing new, and absolutely not specific to Gwent. It is fully understandable that players get simply burned out or simply losing interest in a certain game after they spend thousands of hours - moving on to new adventures is the best thing to do in this case. I personally never shed crocodile tears for any "influencers" moving on in any game - quite the contrary. I've always found that odd that people tend to "mirror" content creator opinion and behaviour. It feels like feeling empty after your favorite celebrity has left his/her partner, the one he/she has been living with for years. Sure, he moved on, which in reality does not affect you or your life in any way.

Where I see the real challenge for this game is reaching out to NEW players and faces, instead of focusing on what was lost years or months ago. That, and the communication about the game (to players) and a future roadmap. Those are the areas where Gwent is in a poor state in my opinion.

What this game lacks it's a focused roadmap and a strong sense of direction. At the moment they fix a couple of things every x months and ruins double the stuff doing so. This sort of stuff has been going on for a long time.
New card games are on the rise now, and the old ones has to somehow adapt or slowly die. Let's take HS for example, it has many, many problems both big and small, but it's "trying" to change, starting from a giveaway of the core set and a change of the development team whose plans are to heavily change game modes and cards.
Mythgard is doing the same and will give away its entire coreset starting from tomorrow.
Gwent currently lacks all of these things.
- No PvE modes and no possibility to complete quests vs AI. PvE modes for other card games often implements weird gameplay, co-op with another player or something similar.
- No giveaways, promo codes, whatever. No real intentions to reach out to new players and make starting gwent easier. Yet here we are, pushing high prices for cosmetics and meaningless journeys instead on focusing on what Gwent is at the core: a CARD GAME.
- No quick fixes on cards and lack of true diversity between cards and factions. Many cards are just a copies of another one ( 2 power, 8 provision tutors for example ) and the rest is constantly powercrept on and plunged into oblivion. Lack of diversity in the meta is stunning, with the same 3-4 decks costantly played starting from rank 10 +. Many people left, so you just encounter the same old people over and over again both on ranked and casual with a big collection of cards pushing the same meta decks for an easy win.
- Too much focus on winning at all cost, with no "consolation prizes" for just playing. This is what started the vicious cycle of wanting to win at all cost, even for small events like the current one ( Love season )
- Rng on kegs which borders on lootboxes given the price.

All in all the game feels somehow "old", both in its structure and game flow and without the will to heavily overhaul many things I don't see a bright future for gwent.

I quit Gwent long ago, haven't played since Crimson Curse was about to release. I'm one of those that every 6 months or so I lurk into these forums and Reddit to see if finally, the team will get charitable and give us a version of Beta (or something funner than what is present), which obviously will never happen.

However every time I look around these places, theirs always a topic similar to this one by OP talking about unhappiness with the game, quitting, lack of stable direction, etc. I know you see this in similar games, but the gripes for this game have been here since the beginning (reasons why a lot of the streamers left. I can't believe that McBeard quit. Wow, just found out). My question to you veteran guys, why are you staying? Do you still see a future with this game after what, 3-4 years? Like man, DRK3, I've seen you in these forums since forever. Yet what you wrote:

Similar comments have been stated before again and again. So why stay? I get that It's hard to quit ( I know, it took me a while, but I lost all faith in this team) but really there are better games out there. Card games not many (Mythgard is interesting if you guys care) but still... Just a thought. See you in 6 months.

First of all, thank you for your post, its nice to know someone remembers your name after several years have gone by, means you did say (write) something noteworthy.

Now to answer your question, 'why stay?' specially when i clearly express discontent - its not an easy answer.
This is the only videogame i play on PC, due to very weak hardware, but i play many others on console, that's where i get my variety, i would go crazy if i played Gwent exclusively for 4+ years.

Then, i've commited too much to this game to ditch it and move to other card games. Also there are no viable alternatives, since im a huge witcher fan and absolutely hate Warcraft and LoL to move to card games with that lore. Magic is cool but i feel im too old to start on that one now.

And finally, you said you take 6 month breaks from Gwent. I wish i could do that, and only come here with each expansion. Still, i do a similar thing: i play 7-10 days with every new season (month), when there's gameplay changes and new content, then stop for around 3 weeks until next season, because i get bored quickly and im running out of lifetime goals (reached max level last week and im at 40/42 leaders mastered).

What this game lacks it's a focused roadmap and a strong sense of direction.
If CDPR have a clear sense of what they want this game to be and where to take it, they haven't really shown it yet. I get that it's nice to not be bound to specific commitments and to have development flexibility, but I do hope that they have at least figured out an overall strategy for Gwent's development by now, even if they still want to keep it to themselves for the time being. It would be better still if they could at least share some of that strategic vision with us too though.

Yet here we are, pushing high prices for cosmetics and meaningless journeys instead on focusing on what Gwent is at the core: a CARD GAME.
This is probably my biggest issue with the game at the moment (and has been for a few years now), it really seems like CDPR are failing to see the wood for the trees. Since Homecoming, they appear to have focussed most of their efforts on improving the game around the game. We now have reward books, journeys and other special events to give us a reason to keep playing the actual card game.

The trouble is, they are not devoting anywhere near enough time and effort into making the core card game enjoyable enough to play for the long term. Repeated failures to quickly and appropriately balance or fix overpowered or "toxic" cards and tactics makes actually playing the game unappealing a lot of the time, which renders the game around the game irrelevant in the end.

I don't have an issue with the cosmetics themselves as they are optional and a reasonable way of funding the game, although some of the individual items seem ridiculously overpriced, especially when compared with the reasonably priced journeys. Like you, I just wish they would devote as much attention to improving the actual core gameplay itself first though.

- Too much focus on winning at all cost, with no "consolation prizes" for just playing. This is what started the vicious cycle of wanting to win at all cost, even for small events like the current one ( Love season )
Although rewarding winning makes sense for a competitive game, it does seem to be a little bit overemphasised at the expense of just playing for the fun aspect. The worst thing is that it is hard to find an escape from the rampant "try hard" meta decks in any game mode these days, as players keep chasing the wins that lead to the rewards. I'm not sure how to prevent this though, as for some players, winning is the only thing that matters.

Having said that, I was pleased to see that the current journey's cosmetic related quests now only require games played, rather than games won, to complete them. I think this is at least a small step forward.

Why am I still playing?

Well first of all I think it improved a lot since the HC launch (not exactly overall balance wise though) and there are still a lot of fun decks to try out and play (most of them sadly not really viable on ranked mode though).

I only started playing Gwent because of the Witcher and I'm not interested in other Ccgs (most of their Art Style already turns me off and I also don't want to start another time consuming game that you need to play somewhat regularly) but the OB version will always be superior in my opinion the current Version seems to get a bit boring pretty fast especially if there isn't new content or some huge balance changes (even during the 6 months frozen Meta pre Homecoming I wasn't really bored by the game and always found something fun to play and to try out), but I guess it just became some kind of habit to play Gwent especially after putting in much time and effort to reach a full collection and like I said above some decks are still fun to play if you don't take the game to seriously and don't aim to play it competitively it's still fun to play from time to time.

... and im running out of lifetime goals (reached max level last week and im at 40/42 leaders mastered).
After finishing all of the challenges I'm kind of a bit bored now, I really hope they add new ones along with the Year of the OX Reward Book Page because if not I probably won't find much motivation to play Gwent apart from the first few days after a balance update.

Popping in to say hi.

Here is the difference for me between Gwent and Legends of Runeterra. I eventually kept getting annoyed at Gwents issues and when it finally became apparent to me that they would never actually be fixed I had to leave. No break from the game was going to help. In LoR I have zero big issues with the game. I might take short breaks here and there but I have no reason to ever quit for good. That is the difference.

Popping in to say hi.

Here is the difference for me between Gwent and Legends of Runeterra. I eventually kept getting annoyed at Gwents issues and when it finally became apparent to me that they would never actually be fixed I had to leave. No break from the game was going to help. In LoR I have zero big issues with the game. I might take short breaks here and there but I have no reason to ever quit for good. That is the difference.
I was honestly looking forward to your initial reappearance and the mandatory LoR comparison :D
This topic wouldn't be complete without it.

Top Bottom