Opinions on the music?

+
I love the music so far and there is probably more.
Love the natural sound of a busy metropolis.
Also something tells me it's easy to install some sort of a music implant that let's you listen to music while doing play either different radio stations even cooler if you could listen to custom mp3 music.

Love the musics so far as it comes with a lot of varieties. I really like the rock song in Arch motorcycle trailer.

I would argue that Synthwave itself is not definitive cyberpunk music, especially when you have a pretty big differences on Cyberpunk themes in Japan for examples. musics like city pop & 80-90s pop & punk rock songs were blazing the Cyberpunk anime (like Bubblegum Crisis) back then. Most of GiTS anime songs aren't even count as "Synthwave," especially with Yoko Kanno somber jazz & more feminine feels to it. Cowboy Bebop even go full on Jazz with it, while Akira put big emphasis on bold traditional instrument & hymn music mix.

Deus Ex OST has one note noir synth genre of musics because the games itself focus on the noir hard boiled aspects of MC Adam Jensen. That's why it fits with the games, as you play as Adam Jensen only. I mean his only style straight up neomilitarism, black-gold & triangle stuff only hehe.

the repetitive rap garbage sounds outdated already. you're telling me in 2077 people still haven't evolved beyond drum machines and mindlessly repeating bad rhymes?

Well, cyberpunk societies are not really known to be that advanced culturally. So yeah, we're still listening to that shit in 2077, whatever makes megacorps the most money.

To me the music has been hitting all the right notes so far. But the song/beat at 22:10 in Night City Wire Episode 4 was really something else to me. Got Marilyn Manson Resident Evil Theme vibes from that. Just more fitting for something like Cyberpunk. Love what I'm seeing/hearing so far.
If anyone could share the song/beat name and/or artist at 22:10 with me, I would be very grateful :)

Most of GiTS anime songs aren't even count as "Synthwave," especially with Yoko Kanno somber jazz & more feminine feels to it.
Personally I associate GitS more with Kenji Kawai than Yoko Kanno.

Overall, I would say the Cyberpunk genre has a pretty diverse soundscape. Whether the soundtrack is any good is dependent more on the quality of the soundtrack rather than its style.

To be honest, if we are talking about music, I didnt like ANYTHING they have shown us. Im not talking about Marcin Przybylowicz music, I trust him. But all this additional music by all those other artists sounds so bland and boring (this one song by Grimes wasnt so bad though). Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised after game release. But what I have heard to this point is just bad (dont lose your sh*t, its my personal opinion). Samurai sounds bad. Yes, I have said it. They songs are bad. I love rock/metal but they sound so damn bland and castrated (and Im not talking about voice of vocalist). In lore Samurai is this legendary rock band. They dont sound like someone who could achive legendary status at all. Obviously Im not expecting that they will create some The Dark Side of the Moon or Master of Puppets... or Wildhoney level album. But theres nothing there. No spark at all. As I said, maybe they will surprise me after release, but I just have bad feeling about all this.

Not feeling enthusiastic about CP2077's music so far. With the exception of Postcards from Night City Trailer Song, I feel the composers are trying too hard to implement the cruel, dystopian heavy metal "archetype" and it has prevented them from having fun and being innovative.

Personally I associate GitS more with Kenji Kawai than Yoko Kanno.

For me it's the other way around.

The 2nd one is just a remix I like but I'm willing to guess you've heard the original, being a fellow GitS fan.

What I'm saying is I agree with your 2nd point.

Subjectively, I think a genre that would work extremely well for CP2077 is something like this:

The fact that something like this has not yet been seen/heard in any promo material (that I know of) leaves me unimpressed by CP2077 's music. Hopefully that'll change.

I mean, do y'all think pop and rap will die and all we'll be left with is industrial and 80's synthwave? Hell, there are going to be a LOT of different types of music in the future. Why would we be limited to 2-3 genres?

For me it's the other way around.

The 2nd one is just a remix I like but I'm willing to guess you've heard the original, being a fellow GitS fan.

What I'm saying is I agree with your 2nd point.
I think it comes down to which one you are exposed to first I suppose. LOL

The GitS 1995 movie made a huge impression on me. The GitS TV series not so much … wasn't much of a fan of the more "pop" soundtrack either.

I mostly associate Yoko Kanno with Macross Plus - yes, I'm really showing my age with all these references.

I hope to hear music from bars and passing by cars, etc... otherwise nothing, except maybe something to emphasize hostility or some other queue where some background music might be a welcome addition.

Music can very easily be overdone. That's not to discredit the musicians that work to bring music into games. It just needs to be used correctly.

I hope to hear music from bars and passing by cars, etc... otherwise nothing, except maybe something to emphasize hostility or some other queue where some background music might be a welcome addition.

Music can very easily be overdone. That's not to discredit the musicians that work to bring music into games. It just needs to be used correctly.

Your hopes have been answered, as they said music won't really be playing on the background of the city so you can hear the sounds of the city it self.

Marketing and promos will always use music they think people will recognize. That said I believe they did say, that there are many genres of music in game. I imagine that cars will have radio stations maybe? which you could listen to your favorite genre of music. Plus from the get go it wouldn't be cyberpunk without some synthwave..

Yawn...

Gotsta have some Morris Day and the Time at least.

Edit: Ooh, and Disco Express. The ONLY white disco group as far as I am concerned.

"Booty time, booty time...across the USA...booty time, booty time...yeah yeah yeah".

Last edited:
The GitS 1995 movie made a huge impression on me. The GitS TV series not so much … wasn't much of a fan of the more "pop" soundtrack either.

I mostly associate Yoko Kanno with Macross Plus - yes, I'm really showing my age with all these references.

I'm a huge fan of J-pop. GitS 1995 and Innocence were my first introductions. Then 2nd GiG won me over with Yoko's "I Do" and "From the Rooftop"

Age huh? Let's see...my favorite animes are Zeta Gundam, GitS 2nd GiG, Angel Heart, City Hunter and Double Zeta Gundam. Suffice to say, all those have great music. MACROSS 82-99's music is super cool, though I have yet to finish any of the animes

This is a great song! Thanks for sharing.

Your hopes have been answered, as they said music won't really be playing on the background of the city so you can hear the sounds of the city it self.

That's what I want! The sounds of the city or whatever environment you are in is music by itself and it helps with immersion. I liked how GTA and Fallout had different radio stations you could choose to tune into if you wanted. I listened a lot to the rap stations on GTA, and the Diamond City Radio station on Fallout because it felt appropriate for the setting.

I'm stoked for this game. Just 1 month now.

I perfer rap, but I'm not sure I get drawn into music quickly so Idk that car radio best have me bumping!

I’m a huge RTJ Fan, and I love the sound of the Refused Samurai Songs, so I’m probably gonna park my car and just listen to the music for a few hours, can’t wait.

Top Bottom