Opinions on the music?

+
However, I can't say rap/hip-hop tracks shown recently are somehow bad, don't fit or something like that. Neither do I understand anymore what is the problem of such a massive RPG/lore/style gatekeeping that the community has been showing since the most recent delay. It really does seem like a bunch of salty people being salty and childish and redundantly aggressive and protective about "their" hobby or even game.

Yup, the gatekeeping going on this forum is totally ridiculous. Especially because some of those people straight out neglect the source (Cyberpunk 2020) and proceed to dictate how the world should be as if it didn't have one prior, lol.

I love the punk rock styling of the music. Will be interesting to hear metal/death metal material. I don't care much for the rap. Bands like Fear Factory, Sybreed, Mnemic that feature cyborgs and high-tech worlds that resemble cyberpunk in their futuristic concept albums along with the in game metal bands are what I'll be listening to in game.

Its always so fun when I read these music threads, players always think "what I like, whats my taste" Music is part of Cyberpunk's lore, its exactly the same as Dragons are for Fantasy. Rockerboy Role is same as Healer Class.

Rap and hip hop was definitely excellent choice, its so damn popular even globally, chicks loves rappers and guys follow the chicks. Wouldnt mind to see some Rap Ganster Game myself., maybe Ubisoft could do it? It could grow very big if done right, if you consider how big trend rap is now.

Last edited:
I think it is an interesting disconnect between what many people think of as "cyberpunk music", which is mostly synthwave and its ilk, compared to the music of Cyberpunk 2020 as written by its author. That is very much "chromatic rock", which is described as the guitar-riffs of speed metal, combined with the drums of prog rock and the vocal of punk or metal. On stage, the performers merge the high fashion of disco with the angry attitude of punk. Hence the flashy swagger of Johnny Silverhand who is equal parts bling'ed up superstar and anti-corporate anarchist.

I think it is an interesting disconnect between what many people think of as "cyberpunk music", which is mostly synthwave and its ilk, compared to the music of Cyberpunk 2020 as written by its author. That is very much "chromatic rock", which is described as the guitar-riffs of speed metal, combined with the drums of prog rock and the vocal of punk or metal. On stage, the performers merge the high fashion of disco with the angry attitude of punk. Hence the flashy swagger of Johnny Silverhand who is equal parts bling'ed up superstar and anti-corporate anarchist.

This is Cyberpunk 2077. It would be quite crazy to think Cyberpunkers listen same old crap decade after decade. IRL, music changes so fast. What is popular now isnt after 5 year.

Myself I have never been a Hip Hop fan. It's not that I don't think it's music (as my pops would say about my fav bands).
Completely agree, besides the odd song once in a while, I don't listen to it either.

I think the person in #46 nailed the music pretty well in regards to what I would like as well. But I think there should be different type of music depending on type of people or gang you are around.

The music you linked, I could imagine fitting well with those guys that are boxing a lot.

This is Cyberpunk 2077. It would be quite crazy to think Cyberpunkers listen same old crap decade after decade. IRL, music changes so fast. What is popular now isnt after 5 year.

Sure, but the music in CP2020 is what the creator of the game envisioned as the "soundtrack" of the setting. What I was getting at was the there is a disconnect between what people on the forum personally perceive as "cyberpunk music" and what the creator of this specific setting had in mind. You can headcanon whatever music genre you personally like to listen to as being the popular music of CP2077, but in the end the creator of the setting has his own idea of how the music scene evolved in those 57 years.

It is an artistic choice in much the same way as not making animal-biomods widely available. You could have had biomods become widespread in the span from 2020 to 2077, which a bunch of people on the forum seem to want, but ultimately "cat-ears for everyone" was not the vision they had for CP2077.

Sure, but the music in CP2020 is what the creator of the game envisioned as the "soundtrack" of the setting. What I was getting at was the there is a disconnect between what people on the forum personally perceive as "cyberpunk music" and what the creator of this specific setting had in mind. You can headcanon whatever music genre you personally like to listen to as being the popular music of CP2077, but in the end the creator of the setting has his own idea of how the music scene evolved in those 57 years.

It is an artistic choice in much the same way as not making animal-biomods widely available. You could have had biomods become widespread in the span from 2020 to 2077, which a bunch of people on the forum seem to want, but ultimately "cat-ears for everyone" was not the vision they had for CP2077.

Creator? Cyberpunk Universe has 50 guys behind it. At least thats what I think I read. I think it was 51 to be precise. I bet they dont live even in same country.

Theres tons of disconnection, everybody think they know what Cyberpunk is and it hasnt even happened. Theres strong group of people who think Blade Runner is Cyberpunk. Also some think Terminator is Cyberpunk etc.

Creator? Cyberpunk Universe has 50 guys behind it. At least thats what I think I read. I think it was 51 to be precise. I bet they dont live even in same country.

"Cyberpunk" and "Cyberpunk 2020" (on which this game is based) where created by Mike Pondsmith. "Cyberpunk" lists Mike as the sole designer of the game, while "Cyberpunk 2020" has 5 other writers on the core rulebook, all working for the company Pondsmith founded, leads and fully owns.

Theres tons of disconnection, everybody think they know what Cyberpunk is and it hasnt even happened. Theres strong group of people who think Blade Runner is Cyberpunk. Also some think Terminator is Cyberpunk etc.

I think the confusion here is that this is not a cyberpunk (the genre) game. It is a Cyberpunk (the 1988-1990 tabletop RPG) adaptation. It draws from the Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020 books, adventures and lore. There are no replicants from Blade Runner nor SkyNet in there. Nor does the game feature the mechs of Ghost in the Shell, another very well regarded universe in the cyberpunk genre.

I think the confusion here is that this is not a cyberpunk (the genre) game. It is a Cyberpunk (the 1988-1990 tabletop RPG) adaptation. It draws from the Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk 2020 books, adventures and lore. There are no replicants from Blade Runner nor SkyNet in there. Nor does the game feature the mechs of Ghost in the Shell, another very well regarded universe in the cyberpunk genre.

This ^ . I'll still play the game, have fun, and try my best not to judge 2077 on something it's not trying to be, but it's hard to ignore noticing that almost all my problems with what they've shown so far stem from the fact that I would MUCH rather have a cyberpunk (genre) game of this quality made by CDPR than a Cyberpunk (1988-1990 TTRPG) game.

I want synthwave, black clothing heavily based on the alternative subcultures of the 80s, neon cities inspired by Liam Wong's vision of Tokyo, Blade Runner cars, and explorations of 'humanity vs machines' ala Ghost in the Shell.

I don't want disgustingly gaudy 90s-inspired clothes with gold and neon rainbow colors. I don't want hip hop or modern-sounding pop music. I don't want biker dudes driving shabby cars in the desert. I don't want America's political baggage. That isn't cyberpunk (genre) to me and I really don't care for it.

I like a couple of the tracks I've heard so far...others, neh. I am glad to hear that they have the "mixtape option for the game as well as there are several songs I plan to include on said mix that AREN'T, but should be on the soundtrack ...IMHO, of course. Want to know what I plan to include? Either ask me or look at some of my previous posts. Looks like the game is going to be DOPE! Hope you all are looking forward to it as much as I am. Peace!

i have yet to hear a single piece of good original music in the game. the original cut version of chippin' in is so much better than the screamo shit they have right now. and it sounds more like keanu too. i would have liked if they had kept that as the original version, then have the screamo shit be a modern 2077 cover.

I for one love the variety. I don't get this pickiness. Just roleplay a character who uses their head and, hey, doesn't expect to find music they love in every club.

Welcome Nina Kraviz, damn. If you even give me Mark Lanegan, hell I don't know what I'll do.

The music is really good, I probably won't just sit and listen to the sound track any more than I have for the past few days, but to have this in a game is incredible.

Now after reading posts I know this is pretty much the opposite take from the vibe here, but honestly I could use a little more variety. Was really hoping for more funk & other cultural influences. This feels mostly like synth & light industrial with a sprinkling of rap & k-pop. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE industrial, punk, synth-wave, the majority of the shows I've been to have been KMFDM, Ministry, Thrill Kill, Misfits, etc, but the world is full of crazy music like indigenous metal, afropunk hip hop, mid east rave, psychedelic asian funk, etc, and in a place as densely and diversely populated as Night City it would have been cool to get more variety.

I like a couple of the tracks I've heard so far...others, neh. I am glad to hear that they have the "mixtape option for the game as well as there are several songs I plan to include on said mix that AREN'T, but should be on the soundtrack ...IMHO, of course.

What is the "mixtape" option? Haven't heard about it

This ^ . I'll still play the game, have fun, and try my best not to judge 2077 on something it's not trying to be, but it's hard to ignore noticing that almost all my problems with what they've shown so far stem from the fact that I would MUCH rather have a cyberpunk (genre) game of this quality made by CDPR than a Cyberpunk (1988-1990 TTRPG) game.

I want synthwave, black clothing heavily based on the alternative subcultures of the 80s, neon cities inspired by Liam Wong's vision of Tokyo, Blade Runner cars, and explorations of 'humanity vs machines' ala Ghost in the Shell.

I don't want disgustingly gaudy 90s-inspired clothes with gold and neon rainbow colors. I don't want hip hop or modern-sounding pop music. I don't want biker dudes driving shabby cars in the desert. I don't want America's political baggage. That isn't cyberpunk (genre) to me and I really don't care for it.

You might be lucky Square Enix is making Cyberpunk Fantasy Samurai game as far I know. Or damn was it a joke. Cant remember.

... even cooler if you could listen to custom mp3 music.
I like all of the music we've heard so far, but if this world is as large as it looks the provided soundtrack isn't gonna cut it anymore at hour 600....
Post-release patch idea...?

I like all of the music we've heard so far, but if this world is as large as it looks the provided soundtrack isn't gonna cut it anymore at hour 600....
Post-release patch idea...?

With 7.5 hours of OST and all the radio stations with different genre tunes. I think we will fine a lot of music we enjoy.
I do not think we have to worry about the music getting old. Don't forget that Cyberpunk 2077 is getting the same DLC treatment as The Witcher 3, and both Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine came with their own OST Soundtracks.
When it comes to music, CDPR has some awesome composers! Everything I have heard so from from the OST is fire!
I for one can't wait for more!!

With 7.5 hours of OST and all the radio stations with different genre tunes. I think we will fine a lot of music we enjoy.
I do not think we have to worry about the music getting old.
I don't doubt that they'll be providing some good tunes - but seriously, I usually dump hundreds of hours into games like this - I spent 314 hours in Mass Effect 3 and 379 hours in Fallout 4. There comes a time when I turn off the in-game tunes and play my own, but it would be cool to have that feature in-game instead. For me, 7.5 hours of tunes doesn't stretch well over 300+ hours of game. Consider it akin to adding a customizable "oldies" station...

Top Bottom