Option to cap fps to 30 on PC?

+
I must say, the only real way to enjoy music is with HRA 24-bit/96 kHz transferred at rate of 9216 kbps. I can't fathom how people could be content listening to CDs (16-bit/44.1 kHz/1411 kbps) for so long. The sound quality is so obviously inferior. The difference is really night and day. And don't get me started on the pathetic excuse that is MP3, or other similar compressed audio formats. ;)

If you're looking at it purely from the point of preference, then you're correct. Heck, we can take this even further and say that some people might still prefer black and white movies compared to movies in full color and UHD resolution.. Preferences are often subjective after all, and I'm fine with that.

But what I said is still true. 60 FPS offers far greater fluidity and exposes more detail in motion compared to 30 FPS. Here's a great site with some 30 vs 60 FPS clips so people can see what I'm talking about:

You missed the point I was trying to make. In BOTH cases one choice of consumption offers an objectively superior experience. Listening to high-resolution audio with its increased bandwidth and improved dynamic range will bring out subtle details and nuances that CD-DA is often not able of achieving, and in general provides a better sonic quality. The same applies for 60fps when talking video games. So, yeah, you were right from a purely technical perspective.

However, what it ultimately comes down to is whether or not the consumer perceives those inherent differences as important enough to bother investing time and money to be able to enjoy the advantages of HRA/HFR. A lot of people hold the opinon that the improvements made by 60fps over 30fps are barely noticable and thus neglectable, especially given the cost-benefit-ratio. And the thing is, they are not necessarily wrong. While it's hardly disputable that 60fps is better, how much is a matter of perception. For some it's like day and night, making gaming at anything less than HFR unbearable, others have problems pointing out the distinctions even when comparing two videos recorded with varying framerates side by side. And even if they are able to perceive the enhanced smoothness, fluidity and detail, they simply don't assign that much value to it.

Personally, as long as the framerate is stable, I don't mind 30fps. Yes, I can clearly see the improvements made by 60fps, but unless we're talking about a competitive game that heavily relies in quick reactions (for example, first-person online shooter), my priorities simply lie elsewhere.

In the end, I think, we should all be a bit more accepting of other people's choices.

Last edited:
So... after we all came to the conclusion that 30 or 60 fps comes down purely to personal preference, can we agree that exactly because of this fact an in-game option to switch between the two would be rather handy-dandy? :)

Do you mean cards like GTX 970 and 980 ? they are built on newer Maxwell architecture which changes a couple of things for example they use third generation of loss less delta color compression saving considerable amount of memory bandwidth thus achieving similar or better performance with smaller 256 bit bus. The same applies to AMD's Tonga based R9 285 which has 256 bit bus but perform similar or better compared to 384 bit R9 280.

Man, you realy read my mind.... I was thinking exactly on GTX 970. Thanks a lot for your reply.

---------- Updated at 12:12 PM ----------

Thanks GuyNwah

You helped a lot.

I hope there is a FPS limiter in the game. I would limit it to 30 FPS, and crank the settings up as far as I can while maintaining 30 FPS, and not have to worry about it going from something a lot higher than 30 FPS and then dropping to 30 FPS at some times. Constant 30 FPS is good for me.

Lower frame rates can be better, this is true. For example, normal cinema uses 24. The trade off, is motion blur. Avatar and The Hobbit used 48, which is why they appear more 'real'. There is, however, a certain cinematic drama to the lower frame rate. If you must interact, though, you will suffer the lower frame rate to a degree, such as with a game.

I'll just write a brief heads-up, as this here (http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/31562-Technical-community-interview-with-CDPR) by the looks of it will take a while...

I've mentioned in my opening post that there are two modern games that have well-crafted built-in settings to lock fps to 30 (The Evil Within, Shadows of Mordor). Well, turns out there's another one...

I've played some GTA5 recently and, as my system is not beefy enough to play it maxed out in 60 fps, I've locked it to 30 via the RTSS utility. Weather the in-game vsync setting was on or off, the game would horribly micro-stutter.

And then I found out that there is a third in-game setting for vsync built in called "half", which does just as the name implies - it locks the framerate to 30 (half of my monitor's refresh rate) and what would you know - the game runs buttery smooth with not a single stutter in sight.

Where am I going with this? - Well, the explained above is the crux of what I was trying to say the whole time - there needs to be a setting in-game for such a feature to work like it should - not every time will a third party app for forcing framerate limits give satisfactory results, nor will the settings provided in the graphics drivers.

The Witcher 3 is being developed for both PC and the current consoles - on which the game will run at a locked 30 fps. Ant that fps lock for some reason always produces a far more fluid 30 fps experience that I rarely see on the PC.

Because of all the mentioned above, I'd really like that these magnificent devs put just a little bit more time into coding and just enable this console-native feature as an optional setting in-game.

Thank You in advance!

Guest 3790055

If you have a nvidia graphic card, you don't need any 3rd party software, just set "v sync: adaptative (half refresh rate)" in nvidia control panel. I'm sure the same thing exists on AMD cards.

Asking for 30fps on the PC version...I dunno how to reply to that.. I'd rather turn all options to low and play at 60fps instead.

Asking for 30fps on the PC version...I dunno how to reply to that.. I'd rather turn all options to low and play at 60fps instead.
Right? I'd rather turn down every setting to play at 60 over 30. Once you go 60 you never go back, literally, I cannot play a game at anything lower than 60 because even at 45-50 it starts getting really sluggish. I don't understand the crazies that insist there's no difference between 30 and 60. The only way someone would say that is if they've never played at anything higher than 30.

Last edited:
for people who want to have a rock solid 30fps console experience (if your pc cant handle 60) you can force your monitor to 30Hz and turn on v sync it will play like ps4/Xbone. only use 30Hz if you realy have to though and if you use a controller. 30fps is horrible with a mouse/kb.

or for example if your pc can do a solid 50 fps you can set monitor Hz to 50 with vsync. and ofcourse same goes for 60 fps/hz

Download MSI afterburner and rivatuner statistic server (included with MSI afterburner)

MSI afterburner can be used to monitor temps, overclock etc. However in Rivatuner you can set max FPS.

@BigDRim:
Adaptive vsync (half refresh rate) introduces an ungodly amount of input lag, and the only way to mitigate that is to lower max prerendered frames to 1, what destroyes fps. So, no thank you sir.

@Darkhollow & @Canuckodile:
I’m not asking for 30 fps, I’m asking for an option that other new games already have. An option, because the fact that you want to play at 60 or 30 is just and only your personal preference. If the devs give you the option to choose, everyone is happy, no matter what they like. That's what options are for - some of us don't like to have quest markers on the game map, so the devs put an option in to hide them. A simple and efficient solution.

@syberwolf:
I actually don’t know how to force monitor refresh rates - mine only supports 60 it seems. A link to a tutorial perhaps, please?

@OriginalBars:
I already wrote that I used and use RTSS (the Rivatuner app). I get mixed results depending on the game when limiting fps with it (sometimes it’s perfect, sometimes it microstutters like hell).

And on a general note - although I'm grateful for the replies all of you wrote, the only real solution is, as I stated before, that the devs implement an in-game option. This thread is here simply to try and get the attention of a RED.

@BigDRim :
Adaptive vsync (half refresh rate) introduces an ungodly amount of input lag, and the only way to mitigate that is to lower max prerendered frames to 1, what destroyes fps. So, no thank you sir.

@Darkhollow & @Canuckodile :
I’m not asking for 30 fps, I’m asking for an option that other new games already have. An option, because the fact that you want to play at 60 or 30 is just and only your personal preference. If the devs give you the option to choose, everyone is happy, no matter what they like. That's what options are for - some of us don't like to have quest markers on the game map, so the devs put an option in to hide them. A simple and efficient solution.

@syberwolf :
I actually don’t know how to force monitor refresh rates - mine only supports 60 it seems. A link to a tutorial perhaps, please?

@OriginalBars :
I already wrote that I used and use RTSS (the Rivatuner app). I get mixed results depending on the game when limiting fps with it (sometimes it’s perfect, sometimes it microstutters like hell).

And on a general note - although I'm grateful for the replies all of you wrote, the only real solution is, as I stated before, that the devs implement an in-game option. This thread is here simply to try and get the attention of a RED.

this is how i do it. hope the link works for you http://users.telenet.be/syberwolf/30hz.jpg

some monitors support it some dont.

A lot of monitors cap to 30Hz by interlacing, it makes a horrible visual effect, especially on text, looks like is vibrating up and down.

on my tv its 1080p30 not 1080i30
so its not interlaced for me. i already tried it i didnt have any issues exept that mouse movement is a bit choppy at 30Hz thats why i suggest using a controller.
but yes like you said some monitors might have bad support for 30Hz

Top Bottom