Option to hide unqualified (and spoiling) interactions/dialogue options?

+
I prefer the unavailable options to be completely hidden for my play. If that means a toggle I have to select I'm fine with that. Comparing my experience with games like Fallout 1 & 2, where your options are entirely dictated by your character to the point that low int will result in options like: "wub-wub", against newer games that show all options and just enable the ones your character can do. In my experience games that don't show I'm only thinking what will this character say/do here, but in games that show everything I instantly start thinking about my next play-through. I'm going to replay either way, but I'm only really enjoying my playthroughs in the first example, the second I'm performing a chore to get all of the boxes ticked off.

I actually would like this. There is a lot of times when I'm playing fallout NV where there are options that I can't choose that pop up when I'm responding to an NPC. Then I feel bad or worried that the skill isn't leveled up, so I start investing points in skills that don't even go with my build just so I can meet skill checks. I soon become a metagaming mess, just so I can meet just about every skill check in the game lol.

But why not making these unavailable options actually available and rely on chances of success? Like Fallout. And leave it to the players to decide whether to play it safe and choose the interaction that fits with the chosen characteristics of V, which have the highest probability of success, or to opt for a risk and choose another interaction that have lower chances of success. Who knows, maybe V will be "lucky" enough and actually nail it despite being against the odds.

It is not like if we don't have the required skills then we are totally in dark or not aware of the needed skills to make that "unavailable" interaction. And it happens in our daily lives. Sometimes we just face situations that we can either play it safe or risk it and hope for the best to happen.

So such interactions are, and should be, available, and it's up to us whether to play it safe or make the risk or wait to replay it again.

But why not making these unavailable options actually available and rely on chances of success? Like Fallout. And leave it to the players to decide whether to play it safe and choose the interaction that fits with the chosen characteristics of V, which have the highest probability of success, or to opt for a risk and choose another interaction that have lower chances of success. Who knows, maybe V will be "lucky" enough and actually nail it despite being against the odds.

It is not like if we don't have the required skills then we are totally in dark or not aware of the needed skills to make that "unavailable" interaction. And it happens in our daily lives. Sometimes we just face situations that we can either play it safe or risk it and hope for the best to happen.

So such interactions are, and should be, available, and it's up to us whether to play it safe or make the risk or wait to replay it again.
In your experience when someone talks to you you aren't presented with every option that could be used in that scenario. You might think of multiple different things to say, but those are largely based off of your personal strengths, skills, knowledge, etc, so the version of you that is a genius astrophysicist is going to think of a different set of options than the version of you who is an instagram fitness influencer.

If, for some reason, it's not possible to remove them entirely (via the proposed option) how about obfuscating the unqualified interactions/dialogue options by applying a visual scramble effect instead?

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

If, for some reason, it's not possible to remove them entirely (via the proposed option) how about obfuscating the unqualified interactions/dialogue options by applying a visual scramble effect instead?
Sounds (and looks) like a good compromise. :D

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

I like it for technical skills like hacking, but conversations should be just hidden. Plain and simple.

I agree, I really, really hope this is changed and options unavailable to our character stay hidden.

I mean, I can live with mediocre combat in a CDPR game as combat was never something they excelled at but such a bad design decision regarding dialogue and story just has no place in CDPR game.

I also don't think we need IDs like "streetkid", "nomad", "corpo" next to responses. It needs to be just a line of text. I didn't like similar system in ME, because while fluid, it lacked naturalism. You always seem to have positive (on top), neutral (middle), aggressive (low) responses linked to the same wheel.

Imagine Fallout having "scientist", "retard", "charmer" descriptions next to certain responses. It's just wrong. Text itself should give you an idea you excel at something.

I also don't think we need IDs like "streetkid", "nomad", "corpo" next to responses. It needs to be just a line of text. I didn't like similar system in ME, because while fluid, it lacked naturalism. You always seem to have positive (on top), neutral (middle), aggressive (low) responses linked to the same wheel.

Imagine Fallout having "scientist", "retard", "charmer" descriptions next to certain responses. It's just wrong. Text itself should give you an idea you excel at something.
I disagree with this. I want to know when my background is actually useful.

I didn't notice this. The option to hide this is a no brainer. It's spoilery to see what the special dialogue of other lifepaths, especially during the main quest.

Instead of having a conversation you pick one response highlighted as "special". It instantly makes "regular" responses useless.
That's true IMO, to some extent at least. If the "special" option is objectively better than the other options there's little reason not to choose the "special" option since it's also tied to the role-playing aspect. Maybe if you decide not to use all the assets you have (either as the player or "as" the character) -- which is definitely something that would be done by some (including myself), sometimes.

If a "special" response allows one to skip entire conversations then what you said is even more accurate.

The "special" option need not (Always) be the "best" option. In fact, good RPGs will force you to actually think about every choice and not default to the "persuade" one (Kingdom Comえ.

It should be the best option where appropriate, though. And yes, absolutely, there can and should be an indicator for it. There doesn't need to be indicators for stuff you don't have, but I don't care about that much.

The "special" option need not (Always) be the "best" option. In fact, good RPGs will force you to actually think about every choice and not default to the "persuade" one (Kingdom Comえ.

It should be the best option where appropriate, though. And yes, absolutely, there can and should be an indicator for it. There doesn't need to be indicators for stuff you don't have, but I don't care about that much.
Best way to make a player think is not forcing a decision on him/her by indicating special extra options. It's counter-intuitive. It will make you think you missed something special if you didn't use the special conversation ability.

Top Bottom