Other games and Cyberpunk 2077: what could latter borrow from them?

+

Guest 4149880

Kada;n9832171 said:
I was watching this. CP2077 could use Dead space's holographic UI design.

Yes, I've said this before that I hope the UI is built into the games items and gear in the game rather then a fixed UI for everything. And depending on if you're playing in first or third person the UI might project from a holographic display outside the character or inside the display of the helmet if using one. Ideas like this are nice and immersive.

Thief 2:

Open level design.
Light and Dark areas for sneaking/hiding
AI Sensory system
Pickpocketing
Diagetic interface and storytelling

Cyberpunk could add:

upgrades and gadgets like Infrared
integration with a crowd feature
integration with character classes
NPCs with same ability

imagine walking into a crowded club. As you walk in an NPC failing a pickpocket test against you alerts you somehow. Punching it in the face you make your as a bouncer drags the bloodied thief out.
Or an assassination mission against extreme odds where you could break out the cybersneakers to reach a nest.

Given this sort of thing would have to be properly balanced but could add a good variation on game play over certain different classes.

Breakdown (Xbox exclusive):
-Hand-to-Hand combat and control scheme. I'd rather show this.

There's lot's of hidden gems among games made in 00s with features brought together would improve quality-of-life in Cyberpunk 2077 by a lot.

Last edited:
Hi there !

I have one not typical suggestion and also would call it a question. But at the end it would be suggestion for develropers. ;)

As we know CP2077 will contain some kind multiplier futures. Which is great, fantastic for some of us players. or if I am ''wrong'' for everyone!.
So I am just wondering if devs will go step ahead of their competition ( if CDPR have any )and locate one of their servers in Australia.

In case of multiplier as we know, PING/Latency have huge impact on the game especially if its action type of the game. Where to win, not the gear or the gun, or buffs will meter , but your reflex, your reaction time. And here comes ping/latency issue. connection speed from Aus to NA/EU servers is ruffly 390ms. I have met plenty of difficulties while planing online/multipliers action game , mainly FPS, MMORPG. eather on PS4 or PC not sure about xbox . And its not only PVP issue but also PVE as well. lag that is caused by latency (distance from the server ) in some games, do not allow me and everyone else who is based in Aus. to even hit player/moob with in time.
VPNs do not help, ports forwarding do not help, game supports do not help, even making private network using such software's (Monthly payment) as WTFast, do not help.
I mean latency sticks on 360-450 ms. Its a big ... I would name it by the name but... I am new here and do not wanna get banned

So most of developers what they do ? They literally install servers in NA/EU and maybe Asia like JP/KR/RU servers. Not all of them install servers based in AUS, the only one most popular is Blizzard.
For their World of Warcraft MMO, not sure how about Overwatch. Plus about PS4... They have their own servers... not in AUS, ping all the time, day or night, 24/7 whole year.
So yeah, my suggestion is to locate one server in AUS!

Its not gonna change until someone will make this first move. And CDPR could do that. To make sure that players in whole world are treated fair and as CDPR is pro-gamer dev. I would have suggestion to make one of their servers in AUS/OCEANIA and probably establish in Australia as we down here , even if we connect to Asian ex. KR servers which are a bit to the north... we still got 250ms. Yeah improvement from 390ms (ruffly) but not a big one.

I have only few ideas how you could implement your multiplier futures that will not request much of high speed latency. And I can name few of them which are.

Brain-dance: Which is your idea of having this future in SP mode, it could work as well in MP mode ... as simply streaming live and see what other players are doing in game or maybe even taking control of them. Collecting their data like license, some quest notes, maybe a bit of simple undiscovered peace of a map, buildings plans etc . I believe ping/latency have noting to do here. so this is fine.

Trade : Lets say you guys will come up with idea of online treading in between players from whole world. If your game is gonna be sandbox, I believe we will be able to craft things, materials, guns, armor, ammo for the gun xD asking for vesicles would be too much .. but still this stuff could be trade-able in multiplier mode.Here or so , ping/latency is not an issue.

The whole thing is about PVP and co-op PVE modes.

I understand that none of developers is allowed to replay on such a question as it may indicate for even MMO type of a game mode.

But if someone will say for ex. ' Hay, we gonna make every player happy !' will make me sleep much better.

P.S. I would also have made new Topic but I need to make 10 post first so guys lets discuss about this for a moment. What do you think about it, would you agree that CDPR could locate one server in AUS ? I don;t know if there are many of us (Us from AUS) here on this forum,

Last edited:
The targeting mechanics from Crackdown (and just and only that, not the rest of the gameplay - none of it - only the targeting mechanics) at around 3 minute mark on this video (letting the character aim with a target lock while the player manevuers, being able to target bodyparts on the fly, apply -skill/stat vs. task difficulty- variables to that like in 2020)

Speaking of BioShock, undersea corporations and communities do seem to exist in the lore, perhaps they could appear, even if not in CP2077 itself, in a DLC or sequel.

Given that kibble (the "food" most of the unwashed masses exist on) is made primarily of some combination of soy and seaweed I'm sure they do.

But corporate farms, even high tech ones, probably aren't very interesting places to visit.

Guest 4149880

Thinking of the variation in gameplay mechanics of Dark Souls.

The game presents the individual mechanics and lets the player find many different variations to make the best character builds they can imagine. Each mechanics isn't built to cater to another, its built as its own sole entity, but still allowing other mechanics to work in tandem and having seemingly endless combinations.

This is what I want to see in 2077 in its own environment. This would give the game insane replay value alone for a lot of players, not knowing the limits on possible character variations. Its not about building endless features, but more about providing a wide variety that overlay with each other giving much different results. The player could essentially make an entire build just one awesome purpose, whatever the purpose may be.

Skill tree locking would hinder this drastically in my opinion as its a set route, even if it has optional branching paths. The Skyrim system wouldn't work as they would literally have to make a skill tree for every possible build they predict a player to make. Locking skills at the end of a skill tree that needs to be reached later in game is not the way. It needs to be freeform even if for enjoy ability alone.

Give the player the toys, and let them find their way. Dark Souls does this in spades.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with your approach is it makes PvP a nightmare and even single-player game balance is near impossible.

Most games are about progression, even MMOs where most consider the end-game content to be the "real" game, have a level/skill/gear acquisition phase.

This is true even more so in most RPGs as they're linear, the end-game is the end of the game. How you got there and what you did along the way is what matters.

Suhiira;n9981841 said:
The problem with your approach is it makes PvP a nightmare and even single-player game balance is near impossible.

Most games are about progression, even MMOs where most consider the end-game content to be the "real" game, have a level/skill/gear acquisition phase.

This is true even more so in most RPGs as they're linear, the end-game is the end of the game. How you got there and what you did along the way is what matters.

Yeah, I agree. It worked for Dark Souls, but I wouldn't want to see it here.

That's not to say I don't want plenty of choices and freedom in terms of customizing/progressing my character...Because I certainly do...I just don't think it's the best method to use for all RPGs, and certainly not CP2077 IMO.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9981841 said:

I guess PvP is a nightmare from your own personal experience but that doesn't mean the mechanics are bad, infact they work great. SO the nearly impossible of PvE/PvP balance has been done, and there's an entirely new genre built around it. That's quite a compliment to the series actually, I'd say. But that's all preference at the end of the day.

Dark Souls progression is solely based through a single player environment and it carries over to PvP as well, and as an RPG with PvP, Dark Souls does this well and maintains balance. PvP aside...

You imply the Souls series lack any progression then you're wrong, its no different than most RPG in that aspect. The only difference how much freedom the player has to build their class, which Dark Souls does better then most for the ARPG genre. So there's actually no problem with this approach.

I highly doubt 2077 will innately have end game content in the sense that its going to be better then the starting to mid game gear, Example Lvl 1 pistol vs legendary Lvl 100 rifle. I see it being more in favor of gear only being acquired later in game but doesn't necessarily make it better. Gear the player acquires is only the starter peace, it should require enhancements to make it better, even if that is starting gear. End game content should not be stronger because of how long it takes to acquire it.

This is simply what I'd like to see, there's no reason to cherry pick my opinion on this matter.

BeastModeIron;n9983021 said:
You imply the Souls series lack any progression then you're wrong, its no different than most RPG in that aspect. The only difference how much freedom the player has to build their class, which Dark Souls does better then most for the ARPG genre

Yeah, I'd say I found the DS class progression very bland and in the end, pretty homogenous. Playstyle was very similar regardless. Mind you, we are talking Action RPGs and I'm not sure what that term means.

I'm not playing a role in Dark Souls other than "Nameless Fighter Dude Sometimes With Magic"...petty much Doom with melee and stat progression.

A good player can even finish the game naked - or with minimal stat changes. Makes it very reliant on player and not character skills. That's not role-playing - unless you are Conan.

Lots of people insist Dark Souls is far from balanced in terms of gear and stats, but I'm no expert in that.

Really hoping Cyberpunk doesn't have levels of gear at all.

Sardukhar;n9983431 said:
Yeah, I'd say I found the DS class progression very bland and in the end, pretty homogenous. Playstyle was very similar regardless. Mind you, we are talking Action RPGs and I'm not sure what that term means.

I'm not playing a role in Dark Souls other than "Nameless Fighter Dude Sometimes With Magic"...petty much Doom with melee and stat progression.

A good player can even finish the game naked - or with minimal stat changes. Makes it very reliant on player and not character skills. That's not role-playing - unless you are Conan.

Lots of people insist Dark Souls is far from balanced in terms of gear and stats, but I'm no expert in that.

Really hoping Cyberpunk doesn't have levels of gear at all.

Yeah, pretty much this. There are a LOT of different weapon types and armor types and combinations between the two, but ultimately, I've never felt all that unique.

You dodge out of the way of big attacks and wait for an opening, or create one by dodging into enemies.

But I do enjoy Dark Souls. I'm playing through 3 right now with some friends and I'm having a hell of a time. It's frustrating as hell, I'm sick to death of being invaded, but something about it keeps me playing. I will say that sometimes it feels ridiculously unfair when I get invaded by someone who can kill me in 2 hits with a quick greatsword (while poisoning me), while I chip away 5% of his health with a huge, slow scythe swing.

And, for the record Beast, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, I don't think any of us are trying to bash you for it. Hope it doesn't feel that way. Just trying to discuss.

And also, games like Dark Souls have their place. It may only be an "RPG" in the sense that you have skills and gear, but that's fine. Dark Souls has never tried to be a good RPG, it's tried to be a good action game - and I think it's succeeded for the most part.

Guest 4149880

All the criticism on Dark Souls mechanics yet I really wonder what everyone expects from the moment to moment gameplay to be from Cyberpunk 2077, truly. Honestly, If everyone expects 2077 to be a direct PnP game in video game form, those expectations are unfounded, I almost guarantee. Prove me wrong one day but I expect those moments of gameplay in 2077 to come pretty close to aspect from the Witcher games which have a lot of Dark Souls similarities even mechanical inspirations, and your typical TPS and FPS with other elements in the mix. Its not going to be unlike many other games out in many ways I'm sure.

BeastModeIron;n9983621 said:
All the criticism on Dark Souls mechanics yet I really wonder what everyone expects from the moment to moment gameplay to be from Cyberpunk 2077, truly. Honestly, If everyone expects 2077 to be a direct PnP game in video game form, those expectations are unfounded, I almost guarantee. Prove me wrong one day but I expect those moments of gameplay in 2077 to come pretty close to aspect from the Witcher games which have a lot of Dark Souls similarities, and your typical TPS and FPS with other elements in the mix. Its not going to be unlike many other games out in many ways I'm sure.

I'm under no illusion that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be the greatest shooter/stealth game/RPG on the planet, with super close ties to its PnP roots, don't worry.

However, Dark Souls really gives you one goal and one goal only: keep fighting. You fight, you die, you fight, you die. There's little else to do, and there's no reprieve from the constant struggle against powerful enemies... except to sit at Firelink and hop off for the night. This is not a criticism of the game, just an analysis. People enjoy that sort of thing, myself included.

By saying we don't want to see that sort of thing in CP2077, I think it's less that we think Dark Souls was a bad game, and more that we think (or I think, anyway) it's a different type of game with mechanics that don't really fit CDPR's style of RPG. They are big on giving you a bunch of stuff to do, and plenty of lighter moments to balance out the -- at times -- ultra difficult encounters.

I assume you're referring to the difficulty, emphasis on preparation (at higher difficulties, anyway) and the "wait for an opening" combat style when you say TW3 is similar to DS? Because that's really the only similarities between the two games/franchises. TW3 had a wildly different progression system and it was much faster-paced (which influences the entirety of the game, not just combat).

I have a good one:

1. Fallout 2. Hated it as a kid but love it as an adult. Recently tried it again. Definitely one of the Top 5 RPGs of all time.
2. I love the dirt and grime, the biker/outlaw/punk/Mad Max vibe, the mechanics are simple yet effective, love how critical certain stats are and the dialogue system is deep and realistic
3. Keep that dirty grimy atmosphere but with lots more rain and neon, make certain stats critical, keep that loud biker/punk vibe and make the dialogue system deep, complex and realistic

I guess PvP is a nightmare from your own personal experience but that doesn't mean the mechanics are bad, infact they work great. SO the nearly impossible of PvE/PvP balance has been done, and there's an entirely new genre built around it. That's quite a compliment to the series actually, I'd say. But that's all preference at the end of the day.
<clip>
You imply the Souls series lack any progression then you're wrong, its no different than most RPG in that aspect. The only difference how much freedom the player has to build their class, which Dark Souls does better then most for the ARPG genre. So there's actually no problem with this approach.
Did I say it can't be done?
No.
Did I suggest it shouldn't be done?
No.

And I'm not intending to imply anything about Dark Souls, I've never played the game, and probably never will simply because that sort of game doesn't appeal to me.
That doesn't make that, or any other, game good or bad.
My opinion of PvP, one way or the other, is totally irrelevant.
We're discussing the difficulties faced by any developer where a game has any sort of level/skill/gear progression.

I highly doubt 2077 will innately have end game content in the sense that its going to be better then the starting to mid game gear, Example Lvl 1 pistol vs legendary Lvl 100 rifle. I see it being more in favor of gear only being acquired later in game but doesn't necessarily make it better. Gear the player acquires is only the starter peace, it should require enhancements to make it better, even if that is starting gear. End game content should not be stronger because of how long it takes to acquire it.
I hope there won't be anything even remotely resembling "leveled" gear in CP2077. We all know the problems W3 had with that.
Adjust the availability and price of gear not the quality/stats of the gear itself.

"Starter" gear in CP2077 should be an old piece of pipe or a zip gun (maybe a cheap "Saturday Night Special") and once you can afford, and find someone willing to sell you a better weapon it's yours. But even with weapon enhancements (laser sights, extended magazines, whatever) it's still not going to do one bit more damage because you added something to it. You want to do more damage get a larger caliber or faster firing weapon. But that larger caliber or faster firing weapon also has its drawbacks (mass, recoil, ammo availability, etc.), so you may decide to stick to whatever you got once you could afford a decent weapon.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n9984681 said:
"Starter" gear in CP2077 should be an old piece of pipe or a zip gun (maybe a cheap "Saturday Night Special") and once you can afford, and find someone willing to sell you a better weapon it's yours. But even with weapon enhancements (laser sights, extended magazines, whatever) it's still not going to do one bit more damage because you added something to it. You want to do more damage get a larger caliber or faster firing weapon. But that larger caliber or faster firing weapon also have their drawbacks (mass, recoil, ammo availability, etc.), so you may decide to stick to whatever you got once you could afford a decent weapon.

Yeah, this would be nice.

Player skills should be where the true "I do XYZ better, and thus do more damage" progression should come from (weapon handling and the like), not from a "this gun does +6 damage because reasons" sort of thing. That's definitely one concern I have. Not that I didn't like the Witcher 3's armor and gear upgrades, because I do, but I hope they don't adopt the same system just because it worked once. Very different context in the Witcher 3.

Top Bottom