Other RPG games

+
Other RPG games

I bought the Witcher 1 the year it was released, but didn't play it until I finished the Witcher 2 :p/>/>/>/> Since then, I have been in love with the RPG genre, especially the Witcher series :)/>/>/>/>

Therefore, I want to ask you: What are other RPG games you would recommend and are worth playing?

List of the RPG games I have already played:

1. Skyrim
2. Dragon Age: Origins+"Awakening"
3. Dragon Age 2 (Yuck)
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Game of Thrones
6. Two worlds 2
7. Fallout 3
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
9. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
10. Dishonored

Thank you :)/>/>/>/>

Edit: Most important thing is dialogues and choices. Plus no repetitive combat. Thanks again :)/>/>

Star Wars KOTOR + KOTOR2 (KOTOR2 is the best RPG I have ever played alongside The Witcher 1) and Fallout New Vegas - despite the terrible, terrible Oblivion engine this game is pretty awesome.

Slicedice808 said:
I bought the Witcher 1 the year it was released, but didn't play it until I finished the Witcher 2 :p/>/>/>/>/> Since then, I have been in love with the RPG genre, especially the Witcher series :)/>/>/>/>/>

Therefore, I want to ask you: What are other RPG games you would recommend and are worth playing?

1. Skyrim
3. Dragon Age 2 (Yuck)
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Game of Thrones
6 Two worlds

Thank you :)/>/>/>/>/>

Gothic 1,2,3
Risen 1(maybe even 2,if you find for 5$)
Deus ex HR(didnt play the first,but i heard only good things about the original)
Dark souls

Just some games that you can try :)/>/>/>/>

Oh and like lubo said 1654, New vegas is a great game

Good question. Hm. Off the top of my head, I'd recommend the following:

Dark Souls
Deus Ex
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Fallout 3
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Jade Empire
Alpha Protocol
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Beware of the last two though. One is kinda shitty designed and the other one is a very unengaging MMO. Jade Empire has a few years on it's back but it's still solid. For the most part... But yeah, I'd recommend these. Easy to get into and awesome in their own right. I'm assuming that you don't have a console? If you do then you can try these two as well.

Demon's Souls
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen

Happy playing bro.

Adding my vote for
Gothic 1+2 (my absolute favorites alongside the Witcher series)
Risen 1+2 (along the lines of Gothic, but lacking some of its magic)
Knights of the Old Republic 1+2
and Alpha Protocol

If you don't mind older games and are into party based RPGs

Alpha Protocol (go stealth + pistol to have a smooth run cause a lot of gameplay glitches)

EDIT: and it's good to see another Syrian :)

addar

Forum veteran
Torment , Baldur's gate saga,- for me if u dont know or played this classics u cant say u are rpg-fan, they are must-play titles , escpecialy Planscpae:Torment- best story in game history ever !!!!!( i like witcher games more but if we talk only about story , yeah torment rocks!).Kotor are also decent choice...and i remmember Neverwinter nights impressed me very much , but it was more due to D&D v. 3 in 3d, later on i realised how cliche in story department this game was , but 2 extensions to this game was just great !! the same things with neverwinter nights 2

ME1 and 2 if you've only played 3.

The first one is probably the best in the series.

The same goes for the other games - Deus Ex (the original), Fallout 1&2, TES III: Morrowind (you can probably safely skip Oblivion).

In addition to the games recommended above, i would also add the original Fable - this game has interesting take on RPG`s, beautiful style and warm atmosphere.

Classic:
Planescape: Torment
Baldurs Gate 1+2 + Addons
Icewind Dale
Drakensang
Neverwinter Nights 1+2

Action:
Gothic series
Risen 1+2
The Witcher 2
The Elder Scrolls series
Fallout New Vegas

Judging by your list what you really are interested in is aRPG subgenre.
Here you go:
Gothic
Gothic 2 (with night of the raven expansion pack)
Gothic 3 (only with community patch)
Risen
Vampire The masquerade: Bloodlines (community patches)
Deus Ex (might be undigestable for newcomer, great game nevertheless)
Deus Ex: human revolution
System Shock 2 (might be undigestable for newcomer, great game nevertheless)
Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Star Wars: Knights of the old republic
Star Wars: Knights of the old republic 2
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
Fable: The lost chapters
Alpha Protocol
Jade Empire

There are a lot of great non-action rpgs out there.

ReptilePZ said:
ME1 and 2 if you've only played 3.

The first one is probably the best in the series.

The same goes for the other games - Deus Ex (the original), Fallout 1&2, TES III: Morrowind (you can probably safely skip Oblivion).
Most definitely the two first Mass Effects. It's kinda sad that OP skipped those and played the third one directly. Importing your save is part of the fun! The first one has an awesome charm and tone to it. It's worth playing. And I love that section when you first arrived at the Citadel. So many people whined about that part. Shame. They completely missed the point of that hour-long sequence of familiarizing with the universe of Mass Effect.

Ok, rant over. Just had to get it out of my system! :p

I'll go ahead and suggest a strategy game with actual role playing. Expeditions: Conquistador, a charming, difficult and highly entertaining cRPG/strategy hybrid.

Also OP has to play the holy trinity of cRPG's if he likes a purer approach to role playing: Fallout (1 & 2), Baldur's Gate (1 & 2) and Planescape: Torment. These make games like ME and Skyrim look like action blockbusters.

If you like these then know more like them are coming out, modernized. I mean Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera. If you don't like tactics, decision making and actual in-game role playing, then these may not be for you.

Edited :)

Besides the classics (Baldur´s Gate, Icewind Dale, Torment, Fallout, Arcanum, etc), Gothic 1&2 (3 not so much, but I love the neutral ending), Risen 1&2 (yeah, 2 too), Two Worlds 2 (what I´ve played so far was rather good), Alpha Protocol, Elder Scroll 3: Morrowind, Deus Ex, System Shock 2 (if we are including games with RPG elements...), the Drakensang games, Divinity saga,... can´t think of anymore just now.

Many great games listed here. Need to place Arx Fatalis somewhere too. :rolleyes: I can only add few nice jRPGs.

Final Fantasy VI, VII + Crisis Core and IX
Kingdom Hearts I, II, BBS
Vagrant Story
Chrono Trigger & Cross

Many of the Squaresoft games is great.

@Sirnaq
Your list of aRPGs is the best. Even my favourite Jade Empire and Fable get there.

Meh... gonna suggest some JRPG that are that known.

Right now im playing an JRPG on the psp. called the legend of heroes: trails in the sky.

its very japnese animeish JRPG with old fashion graphics and a generic story but it has its charm. like its strong characterization. Recommend to those that enjoy the tales type of storyline or characters.

Another one is the Suikoden series. of all JRPG thias is probably reminds me the most to the witcher in the sense of strong storyline and characterization. while the tone isnt as dark as the witcher, it is filled with political intrigue and some amount of non linearity and branching storylines. especially the third and the fifth installment.

Has anyone played NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer? In my modest opinion, the best story-driven RPG since Planescape torment.

Slicedice808 said:
I bought the Witcher 1 the year it was released, but didn't play it until I finished the Witcher 2 :p/>/>/>/> Since then, I have been in love with the RPG genre, especially the Witcher series :)/>/>/>/>

1. Skyrim
3. Dragon Age 2 (Yuck)
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Game of Thrones
6. Two worlds
7. Fallout 3
8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
9. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
10. Dishonored

Thank you :)/>/>/>/>

Edit: Most important thing is dialogues and choices. Plus no repetitive combat. Thanks again :)/>/>

I'm currently playing Gothic 1, it's like Skyrim but done properly (i.e., with C&C and some attempt at actual characters). It's the first open world game I've played that I actually like. I had to remap my buttons to get the controls right though.

Top Bottom