Our Community Fan Translations

+
Can someone send me a .mobi version of The Lady of the Lake? The dropbox links are all down!

---------- Updated at 04:52 AM ----------

Fantastic translation, I just blazed through it. Do you have that Lady of the Lake ready yet??

I'll be working on Lady of the Lake soon. If you can hold out a bit, I expect to be done by the end of December/early January. Lieste's pdf is really good, but there are still quite a few edits I'd like to make to it...plus, I'll provide all the other formats, too.

Hey, I wanted to post my edit of the Tower of the Swallow. It was a pretty massive edit. Changes include: single quotation marks are now double, British spelling changed to American, reformatting, etc. The folder contains pdf, word, html, epub, and mobi versions of the book. I'll also be working on The Lady of the Lake in the same way, but that is going to take even more time. Anyways, here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9D350j7nYkNX3k1bEViSXV6ZXc/edit

Hrophallus, are your edits based upon Lieste's version? I assume they are, but I just wanted to confirm. I just finished reading Baptism of Fire and I came here for the next two books. I like what you are doing with the reformatting and Americanization. Also, do you have any updates on your version of the Lady of the Lake? I need to know how fast to read Tower of the Swallow.

Again, thanks for everything.

Yes! Season of Storms :) We owe you so much thank you very much I can't buy the books and because of you I read the entire witcher saga :) :) :)

I need some help.
Just writing an article about Midinváerne (Midwinter, winter solstice, beginning of Yule) for official wiki. In Polish "Babtism of Fire" I have found this sentence:
- Ta obsmyczona to Mistle... - usłyszał Tuzik. - Obwieszona błyskotkami, iście niby choinka na Yule...

Page 46 (Polish version)
It was from the fragment when the Rats were passing through some village or town - one of villagers compared dressed up Mistle to choinka for Yule.

Polish term "choinka" means Christmas Tree in English, but... there is no Christianity in The Witcher universe, so I can't use "Christmas Tree" form in article. So how it was translated in the official translation?

Is it possible to get a update on the translation of the Season of Storm book? Since all the other books have been translated for awhile now, I'm wondering if anyone is actively translating the latest book?

Is there a chance that the englisch translation will progress faster when the german version is out? In March of 2015? I'll have to brush up my german to enjoy the story.

Last edited:
Hrophallus, I just finished your version of Tower of the Swallow. In a previous post you mentioned that you were working on your version of Lady of the Lake and it would be completed "by the end of December/early January." I was just wondering if you were still working on this, and if it is close to being complete. I really appreciate the edits you are making, and would love to see your version of the last book.

Is it possible to get a update on the translation of the Season of Storm book? Since all the other books have been translated for awhile now, I'm wondering if anyone is actively translating the latest book?
This. Is there any word on the streets about the book´s translation?

I know it's late, but is there any need for guy speaking both English and Polish? I have only three Witcher books close at hand - Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves, and Season of Storms. And Something Ends, Something Begins but this is not primarily witchery book, just two novels are Witcher related. But I could easily get the other books from local library.

I know it's late, but is there any need for guy speaking both English and Polish? I have only three Witcher books close at hand - Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves, and Season of Storms. And Something Ends, Something Begins but this is not primarily witchery book, just two novels are Witcher related. But I could easily get the other books from local library.

If you translate Season of Storms into English, I'll love you long time.

This is much tougher than I thought - Sapkowski uses tons of non-standard vocabulary in non-standard way. More so than I remembered. But OK - word was spoken, the mare is at the fence. I will have chapter 1 ready in an hour or so - only nineteen to go.
Edit - chapter done, it's not that bad. But It'll be tough.

Last edited:
They have, but I want to do complete job. And I have now material for comparison. I can gauge if this has any sense. Besides two chapters from twenty is not a lot of repeated work. My English is quite rusty it turns out. I do this for living I mean, but I don't write prose - I write scientific papers. It's quite different, but I think this will get easier with progress into the book. I'll get some dictionary of repeated words and so on. Sidenote - editing of my version is quite bad. There is something along the lines of "straszne straszydło" - scary fright or something like that.
Edit:
And there is Interlude between the two chapters that was completely skipped in translation.

Last edited:
Has anyone translated "The Road Of No Return"? I don't see it here. It's really short story tangentially related to The Witcher. It's about meeting of Geralt's parents, but this is half-canon at best. Although, when later in canon Geralt meets his mother, everything is in agreement with this story.

Has anyone translated "The Road Of No Return"? I don't see it here. It's really short story tangentially related to The Witcher. It's about meeting of Geralt's parents, but this is half-canon at best. Although, when later in canon Geralt meets his mother, everything is in agreement with this story.
Nope not yet, it would be great!

About Season of Storms, the Interlude between the two chapters was not completely skipped.
Good evening, everybody.
I just wanted to post an update on the latest chapter.
You can find the completed chapter (actually it is an interlude) here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1viG4WuC61UvEvscAoTE-rTtFY6ozvc7IzikZ_IjRoKs/edit?usp=sharing
@cassandra31eee are you able to please add this link to the first post?

I believe I will start on chapter 2, a new link to follow soon.

Cheers :)

Well i finished chapter two just now. The existing translation is not bad - probably smoother than mine - but in some places is quite off. I assume that polish was foreign language to translators that took up this task.
I write this in epub format in Sigil. What would be most convenient way to share this and format to do so? I can convert epub in Calibre to almost any format.
As to interlude I suspected as much - but going through almost 100 pages of text can be tedious. Interlude has not made it's way to first post unfortunately.

A new attempt at translating "Sezon Burz" into english

I decided to translate Season of the Storms into English.
I know that this was already attempted, but there are only two chapters done, and one interlude. I translated as much and additionally third chapter. Currently this is only a draft, it may make your eyes bleed, and be quite inaccurate in places. But I believe the best approach is to go on with translation and smooth things out when it's done. That's generally best approach when you write scientific paper, and it can't be that different.

I will post questions about translation here - sometimes I have no clue how to convey this idea or that.
So I see this was taken under scrutiny earlier - with previous translations - but lets discuss this again.
In chapter one Geralt meets an official of the kingdom. He is titled "żupan gminny" it would be "ispan of the commune" but I had some problems with this translation. I chose "county administrator" as county is more in keeping with the older meaning of "gmina". In modern Poland county would be "powiat" that is the higher tier of administration, but old "gmina" was probably much larger than today. Besides "żupan" administered "żupa" which is more or less equivalent of today's "powiat". Castellan on the other hand would be harder to grasp. So would be comes.

Then there a while later this exact official is compared to a bulb of "brukiew" (rutabaga or suede). No discussion over the internet would be complete without Hitler so here we go. Rutabaga/suede is almost completely unknown in Poland. First and foremost association that it brings forth is with watery thin rutabaga soup fed to prisoners of concentration camps. My grandparent's generation would not touch a rutabaga even if they would be dying of starvation. This generation is slowly dying away, so probably in a generation rutabaga will be once again just a vegetable. But today it's still instantly associated with concentration camps and thin soup that left you more hungry than before you ate it. So I had absolutely not a clue as to convey all this, and changed rutabaga into plain turnip that works well, but doesn't have this whole background that's unknown for most foreign people.

Third chapter has major problem right now. Namely there is a honorific title that I can't really translate. First part of the problem shows itself earlier. There is problem with translating honorary forms like vocative "panie Geralcie", "mister Geralt" somehow sounds off to me, but there is not other way I think. "Sir Geralt" does not work either because he is not a noble (Or is he? He was given title at some point by queen Meve of Lyria I think. But as Geralt left her service in a hurry and without agreement he was probably stripped of rank.) But greater problem is honorific for an advocate. I Polish it's "mecenas". And we have "pani mecenas". This would be roughly "miss advocate" but it sounds weird. My translation is sketchy in this part.

Next problem is - I'm not a lawyer. I don't know lawyer speech. I have not a single clue if my translation is even accurate here.

Yet another - Sapkowski uses a ton of Latin phrases in law passages. I left them as they were, but it would be probably good to have their translation in some form or another. I can do it - I mean translation part, as I know a bit of Latin, but what form of translation would be proper in book? I'm not sure that I can make a proper footnote with epub format.

I will post further questions as I will go on. And there are some that I left out probably, but I can't remember them at the moment.

TL; DR ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j65a607avbshse3/season.epub?dl=0

Top Bottom