Our Community Fan Translations

+
Our Community Fan Translations

Since The Witcher have spread the interest for the saga written by Andrzej Sapkowski all over the world, more and more English readers want to enjoy the stories in this language.

Fortunately, there are many members with creativity, talent, willingness to make us happy, and some of them are doing very well with the art of writing. More fortunately, these kind members have decided to share with us stories from Andrzej Sapkowski's books, translated in English, just to raise the appetite until the publishers give us the whole work.

I 'll put them together in this topic, because such love and devotion can't be unnoticed.

If i miss something, please, let me know.

ePub versions:

Witcher-related short stories from "Something ends, Something begins":

MOD: Please, let us know if any of these links are outdated or invalid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update by Zhander, 28. March 2013.

Here are all my edited and revised versions:
All links are from Google Docs.
HTML versions need to be downloaded in order to be viewed properly - Just download & open with word or your browser.
For PDF: Open HTML file with Word (or whatever you use) and save as PDF for a PDF.
HTML versions can easily be converted into an epub file by using the program Calibre (that's how I made the mobi files).

Hope my contribution was worth it : )

Things changed:

•Name changes & spelling fixed (Jaskier = Dandelion, Sheala de Tancarville = S

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit confused; are some of those titles right? Because only two of them match up with the list of stories on the Wikia. Limits of the Possible might just be a mis-translation of The Bounds of Reason but which one's Times of Contempt? None of the titles listed on the wikia come even close to it.EDIT: Nevermind; just put Times of Contempt into the wikia's search and saw that's the title of the next full novel.

"Limits of the possible" and "A shard of ice" are two of the stories from the collection in Sword of Destiny (Miecz Przeznaczenia). "Times of Contempt" is the novel "Czas Pogardy".

Yeah, realised my mistake with Times - guess I was too focussed on finding fan-translations from Sword of Destiny.And I was sure about A Shard of Ice and The Eternal Fire (since their titles match the translations on the wikia) being from SoD, I was just wondering if Limits had just been translated differently to whoever did the wikia page.EDIT: Just to be sure; is Limit's original title "Granica możliwości"? If so, then it was just a difference in translation.

Granica możliwości fits the translation of Limits of the possible, but i don't know if the original title is exactly this (apparently it is), and i 'm a little bored to search it right now. :)

Probably is The Bounds of Reason, might just be a different way the Polish could be read (The Bounds of Reason and Limits of the Possible seem like they'd have the same meaning).EDIT: Just to be doubly sure though, does Limits of the Possible deal with
a golden dragon called Villentretenmerth?
That bit's above the spoiler warning on the wikia, but I figured I'd play it safe.
Well I'm an idiot; the woman who translated Limits of the Possible actually said in the first post of the thread that she used a different title:
Shay13 said:
It's not perfect, obviously. I've had to change the title because The Bounds of Reason, while far catchier, just didn't work in all contexts where the main theme is present. My version has had about 15 different titles and I now have Metaphysical Themes Fatigue.

I have the luck of (beeing from argentina as I am) have read and enjoyed all of the Geralt`s saga, translated from polish to spanish by an amazing translator, José M. Faraldo.All this novels books are so beautiful I can`t even describe. The intensity, the atmospheres, the characters, the rithm changes, the tragedies and funny situations, the combats... this book moves me from deep sorrow to LOLs, my wife looks me as if I`m nuts (maybe she is a little bit right)...I can tell you I`ve read a lot in my life but this saga overcomes it allMy advice is that maybe it would be easiest to all english talking people to try to transalte this books from the spanish version instead of the polish one, because i guess it may be more people who speaks this two languages. Anyway, don`t miss this great story, wich I really hope to see in a tv series someday

I'm adding a link to all "The Sword of Destiny" short stories we manage to track. Now you can read it start to finish.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/fan_translation_of_the_witcher_stories_and_novels/page1

Theres also a current project of translating the whole of "Times of Contempt"... we'll see...

JackintheGreen said:
I'm adding a link to all "The Sword of Destiny" short stories we manage to track. Now you can read it start to finish.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/fan_translation_of_the_witcher_stories_and_novels/page1

Many thanks for these!

I've added some more to Chapter 2.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17JrRvs3Af1_iIjqOJjczh8Ie9cAxSqLhO-33OSrApJg/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CIamq9gL

Changes are marked in red. Feel free to clean up the language a bit.
If no one else wants to, I'll finish off the chapter soon.

I can help with translating too. At the moment I have Something Ends, Something Begins and Times of Contempt at home (I also got Baptism by Fire but Im not reading it yet). I can help with translating any of them (seeing as Sword of Destiny is already translated), just tell me what you want me to do. Shall I help with Times of Contempt ?

Great!
You could start with chapter 5 of "Times of Contempt". (all the previous ones are done already or are being worked on at the moment). Right now Im still working with chapter 4.
Also there are translations available for "Something ends, something begins".

I personally dont intent to continue translating the follow-up books, from "Batpism of Fire" onwards (that would require me to start reading them at light-speed, and Im saving them for next year). But perhaps smbdy will.

JackintheGreen said:
Great!
You could start with chapter 5 of "Times of Contempt". (all the previous ones are done already or are being worked on at the moment). Right now Im still working with chapter 4.
Also there are translations available for "Something ends, something begins".

I personally dont intent to continue translating the follow-up books, from "Batpism of Fire" onwards (that would require me to start reading them at light-speed, and Im saving them for next year). But perhaps smbdy will.

My friend has all the books and I borrowed them so I can translate all of them if I have time. I will start translating Chapter 5 of Times of Contempt then once I finish reading it. Wont take long I promise :D. I will change some words though so it sounds better :) Also is swearing/curse words allowed ? Or should I replace them with "plow" ?

Pham said:
My friend has all the books and I borrowed them so I can translate all of them if I have time. I will start translating Chapter 5 of Times of Contempt then once I finish reading it. Wont take long I promise :D. I will change some words though so it sounds better :) Also is swearing/curse words allowed ? Or should I replace them with "plow" ?

lol
"Plough" is just supposed to be a "common" or slang variation of "f***" in the game, though "f***" is also used...

Id encourage you to translate the profanities just in the way Sapkowski uses them.
This is no PG-13 translation. :p

JackintheGreen said:
lol
"Plough" is just supposed to be a "common" or slang variation of "f***" in the game, though "f***" is also used...

Id encourage you to translate the profanities just in the way Sapkowski uses them.
This is no PG-13 translation. :p

Alright then. Only 70 pages until I finish the book. I will start translating then. I will have to change the names though as Dandelion is Marigold and Triss Merigold is Triss Ranuncul in the version I have :D

Started translating. Its going well so far. Should I wait for your Chapter 4 until I post mine ? Also, can I do Chapter 6 please ? I would really like to translate that later.
Here is a link for what I translated so far. Any (constructive) criticism is welcome.
http://www.mediafire.com/?z9hfb3yr596lxhf

Uhm, am I just stupid, or are those links up top broken? I seem to get directed to the polish main TW page... :confused:

ninnisinni97 said:
Uhm, am I just stupid, or are those links up top broken? I seem to get directed to the polish main TW page... :confused:

Cassandra posted this thread before the forum breakdown... that must be it. Dont worry though. The link that I provided to GOG.com IS working plus you have all the 6 short-stories there.

Top Bottom