Our Community Fan Translations

+
Some additional work on chapter ten done. I decided to translate the village names, as I believe it's vital to convey the idea that those names may be somewhat archaic but are by no means exotic. This also meant translating some lumberjacks names. Luckily Sapkowski was using one of his common methods of naming them - he used bird's names. Sidenote: Ortolan is a bird, quite uncommon in Poland, but it can be met. Another bird name belongs to sorceress Fringilla Vigo. Fringilla is a genus encompassing chaffinch. In saga there was archer nicknamed Milva. Milvus is another bird genus. I'm sure there's more. So lumberjacks Płochacz and Dudek became Dunnock and Hoopoe accordingly. And their clearings are named after them.
In Polish there is a village called Warzelnia. Warzelnia means literary a place where something is boiled. In this case it's potash, so as it is salt of some kind (potassium carbonate to be precise) I decided to go with Salt Works. Name is supposed to be straightforward - this is even referenced in text. There is still problem with Rogowizna, as this name is never justified. And to complicate things a bit - everyone thought of one meaning of róg - horn. But it can also mean corner.

Just wanted to say, thank you so much for taking the time for the translation you are doing. It is very remarkable and kind to be doing so much work at such a pace!

I like reading your notes on issues with translating too, it's interesting. Us just English-reading fans really are blessed to have such driven people such as you doing these translations! :)

Chapter ten is finished. Interesting problem showed up. Numbers of victims are given in few places. And Polish is way more subtle than English in certain aspects. It's said that there were "dwanaścioro ofiar" - twelve victims. And this instantly gives away fact that there were not only men but also women and/or children among them. If it would be "dwanaście ofiar" then we would know nothing about victims, save their number. It's just used off-hand, but its significant to some degree - old bailiff seems troubled by massacres, but unwilling to show just how much. He could use neutral form, but instead chooses one that underlines fact that not only men died.
As to village names I decided to continue translating them, and I'm inclined to change Rogowizna into Horns - as it was in earlier translation. I don't like it, but I like leaving it untranslated still more. The Foothills are home to simple folk, and they use simple names. It was always a large part of Sapkowski's charm to me that he uses familiar names. Not that I have something against for example Ratn'gary Mountains (from R. Feist's prose), but if it's Rocky Spires (made up) or Spine of the World (Icewind Dale game) it's all the better. But that's only my preference.I believe that meaningful names are always good.
I had some problems with industries.
I went with coalmen for workers producing charcoal. It's "węglarze" (plural ) in Polish. Charcoal is "węgiel drzewny" so wood coal. In book they call themselves "kurzacy" plural, singular "kurzak". it's obscure word that I had to make sure is used outside of book. It is. "Kurzyć" is regional for "dymić" that is to smoke. In Russian there is "курить табак" kurit' tabak - to smoke tobacco. In Czech to smoke is "kouřit". But in Polish it's "palić tytoń". It's rather burn than smoke. And "kurz" is dust. So "kurzyć" in modern Polish means cause dust to rise. It's seldom used in this way, more often it's reflexive form "kurzyć się" which means get covered with dust. But the old meaning is somewhere around. So I chose "smokers" for translation here.
Next problem - "pilarze" (singular "pilarz"). This are the guys that work the saws. Saw in Polish is "piła". I have not a clue how to call them properly in English. I went with sawmen.
Next there is "mielerz" which I translated as charcoal pile because I could not find single word. It comes from German word "Meiler" meaning the same. This surprised me quite a lot because it seems that it was quite an important part of British industry. Kiln is not exactly what we are looking for - kiln is a fixed multi-use construction. "Mielerz" was single use, when charcoal was made from a batch of wood another one was built.
In epub there is beginning of chapter eleven, docx has only chapter ten added.

Ok, epub updated, but it's somewhat hardcore chapter. I'll try to do some more work today, but it's full of monologues of certain wizard, who just loves the sound of his voice. And it's not the end of chapter yet.
I re-read the book last weekend, so I'm now completely sure that I can manage it.
But soon there will be funny song with obscene lyrics, and I'm not sure what to do with it. It's rhymed in Polish, but I'm physicist not a poet. And physicist slowly changing into spectroscopist (hence my nick:) ) at that.

hey @spektroskopista just wanted to say thank for what you've been doing! just finished reading the main saga and i was looking for some more! and i found this post :DD thanks! gonna jump right in on Season of Storm

Absolutely! Thank-you SO much. I hope you don't mind that i gave you a shout out on the Official wiki :)
It's OK. But I'm not sure if my Dropbox will stand it. It works for now, but more popularity could be problematic. But we are not yet there so no point worrying.
Chapter eleven done, both in docx and epub. I will probably do some editing tomorrow at work, before equipment will warm up. Right now it can be rough around the edges, but I wanted to share it anyway before I called it a night.

Problematic in sense that there is probably some bandwidth limit on Dropbox so files could fell victim to their own popularity. When there will be whole book translated I think this solution will be insufficient. Some other files sharing medium will be needed. That's all I had in mind.

I've read how high are these limits for Dropbox and they are really high. With such small files I don't think this would be easy to reach them. So no worry.
I just added another short interlude. Both version are updated.

I updated translation, but it's not going very fast. Chapter twelve is really barely started. I was focused on other things - paper in final stages of writing just before the moment in which it will be sent for review being foremost, but unfortunately not only one of them. I tried switching to Windows 8.1 and it turned out that Sigil is not as stable as it was in Windows XP. I lost a bit of translation, but as I had certain words researched restoration was fast.
We are getting near the half of book, it's just ten pages more. I doubt I will be able to provide complete translation before Witcher 3 release date, but don't despair - my machine is not capable of running it. I'm gathering funds for new one, but it will not be before June that I'll achieve this goal. So translation will not be influenced.

Can someone help me, searching for the "best" translation of "The Lady of the Lake". I found one but it was really confusing to read it because the sentence structure was a little bit weird. Ideally I need a translation that one can download as a PDF to read it on the PC without having to be online.

Thanks in advance guys.

I finally ended fight with chapter twelve.
Uneven fight. I was distracted by personal matters.. I planned to take a week off in the beginning of May, I took the book and my work laptop with me to do translation in spare time, but before May even began things changed. To make things short - my dad is in hospital and he will be transferred to another tomorrow. He is about to have one of his kidneys removed. At this time it's not know if growth on his kidney is benign or malignant. So I was going there and back from my in-laws place to my home city. Not the best conditions to do any work to say the least.
Things should be smoother now, I pushed the paper to revision in meantime, and crystals for my next research are being grown at the moment, so probably loose week ahead.
For now only epub is updated, I don't have Office at the hand on the machine I'm working on at the moment, so no docx yet but I will do it tomorrow in the morning (CEST morning that is).
EDIT:
Docx version updated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom