Our Community Fan Translations

+
So I began chapter thirteen. Epub updated.
On a side note - I live in Poland my entire life - over 30 years - and still healthcare system amazes me. In a wrong way. But that's beside the point.
A few choices from previous chapter are more relevant.
So among Shevlov company there is a women that's called Fryga in Polish. Obviously feminine gender. I came up with Spintop - as that is what Fryga means. It's quite dated, if you showed this toy to modern Poles and asked what is it you would hear rather "bąk" or by my wild guess more often "bączek" - it's diminutive form. But it's still recognized name, and there is saying "kręcić się jak fryga" which apparently translates to "tap dance like mad" not literary of course. Literal meaning would be "spin like a spintop". I don't like this translation too much, but I had to choose something.
Then there is guy named Ożóg. I made him into Burn, but I may have erred due to my heritage. Apparently in Polish this means a stick used to remove ash from blacksmith furnace or adjust fire in baker's oven. Then there is meaning of bole of tree with visible charring, or a smouldering log. And there is similar word in Russian - ожог (ozhog or in Polish transcription ożog) which means burn, like in kind of wound caused by heat, fire, some chemicals or radiation. Anyway - still close enough.
Shevlov was interestingly enough Shevlov. But if we treated this name as Russian one, he would become Szewłow in Polish and probably Szewłów in most proper form. Just a curiosity.
I left Ligenza untouched, this is old surname belonging to nobility. It is a form of surname Ligęza, but as it lacks Polish letter ę I think this may be left as is. Of course it will have no feeling of familiarity of name, but half of Shevlov crew's names are exotic anyway - so not a big deal.
I'm not sure that's all but it'll have to do for now.

Just popped in to say thanks for all the work you're doing. It's much appreciated and just the thing to keep me sane while waiting for the D-day.

The link for the "Mobi and e-pub versions of the books" is returning a 429 error off drop box. Don't know if this can be fixed on your end or not but figured I'd inform you.

How many chapters are there in Season of Storms? I'm wondering if i should postpone playing The Witcher 3 until i read it.

Twenty chapters, and some interludes.
Translation is slow, so this could be long wait. Having read Season and played somewhat through Witcher 3 I can say that they don't depend on each others. It's just more of the same. I don't think there are any references to Season of Storms in Witcher 3. There are certain similarities, you have No-Man's Land in Witcher 3 and there is Emblonia in Season of Storms. Both are ravaged by war. You see somewhat similar pictures. But details differ of course. I don't want to spoil a lot, but in Season of Storms witcher deals with kings too. Season is more like the short stories than saga, so it's nearer the game by necessity. But that's all. Think of them as a separate entities. There is almost no preferred order in which to read short stories within a book. You could pick them at your leisure and you would be fine. There can be reference of how certain wound is hindering witcher, and you know that it was described in earlier story how he was wounded but that's all. As Season of the Storms happens several years before the Witcher 3 (mostly) there is no overlap.
I updated epub version, but it's just a few pages update.
Last week was hard one to get any work done. The reasons are varied. Although my machine is below specs, it turns out that I can run Witcher 3 rather fine, albeit with lowest settings for everything except resolution. And the other reason was roller-coaster with my dad. He was discharged from hospital on Monday on previous week. He got a date for consultation (yeah - consultation, not operation) in early September. So we began searching for ways to get him not only consulted by operated on earlier. Three or four hospitals were checked. None were able to help. But during this visits it turned out that guys in first hospital botched the CT scan, and it's description too. It's not as useful as it could be. Besides situation turned out to be more grave, as there is large blood vessel near the tumor. In meantime dad was given Oncology Green Card or whatever is official translation. This gives him priority in certain situations. It turned out that no hospital in region is capable of surgery of such complexity, except the academic clinical hospital. Dad was there on Wednesday or so, doctors saw him, looked at his scans and so on. They said that they will perform surgery, but another consultation is needed. Date of this consultation is unknown, and dad will be called when it's time. So nervous atmosphere and sitting by the phone ensued. And we still don't know if its malignant tumor. Doctors said that keeping life quality as it was before the illness is unrealistic.
I'll try to force myself to get back to translation in better tempo.

Im going through the Storm Season docx file and fixing sentence structure, wording and just generally making it more fluid and readable. I can post it when I'm done with the whole book or the first 10 chapters if anyone wants?

I'm waiting with bated breath

Small update. No progress to report. I said earlier about my dad's illness. He passed away on Wednesday, the funeral will be held this Saturday. I'll get back to translation once I get back my bearings.

Small update. No progress to report. I said earlier about my dad's illness. He passed away on Wednesday, the funeral will be held this Saturday. I'll get back to translation once I get back my bearings.

My condolences. Don't worry about the translation, we can wait.

My condolences, spektroskopista. Sorry to hear that.

I want to introduce myself and say a big "hello" to all of you. I spent a few hours to read ALL the topic, all the 106 pages of this. It might sounds weird, but i have solid reason to do so - i'm working at my bachelor and the topic is: The Witcher as the phenomenon in promoting Polish fantasy literature.
I copied some of the posts to prove in my thesis that The Witcher is popular abroad not only as a game, and a community focused on the universe appreciated Andrzej Sapkowski's literary output.
That was interesting experience - to read all of thanks sent by people from around the world, who finally could read these books. And it's a proof that Sapkowski isn't right in his theory that "game doesn't help in growing the popularity of books".
Anyway, do you know any other polish author of fantasy books?

And, @spektroskopista again - can you tell me (it could be on private message) how many times your translation of Seasons od Storm have been downloaded? It would be great example of popularity of books without any marketing activities.

Hello everyone. Just wanted to add I appreciate the fan translations. I was able to finish the last two books in the saga because of the translations. I've also read up to chapter 13 of the ePub version of "Season of Storms." Looking forward to more!

@spektroskopista
I doubt if "inn" is good translation of "austeria" term. Inn is rather common word in English whereas "austeria", derived from Italian "osteria", is really hardly used in Polish.
What about "auberge"? French word, but known by English people.

Last edited:
Top Bottom