[Overhaul] Food / Drink

+
To me, this is a very broken aspect of the game at the moment for several reasons.

1. It is annoying having to enter the inventory system to use them.
2. There is no reason to buy food/drinks at all because you find so many of them.

I think it is a system that could be somewhat easily fixed and made a lot more useful and in general better integrated into the game and make NC feel more alive. It would make the game better since the player doesn't have to go into the inventory constantly to use these and it would also force the player to actually visit the vendors for different buffs. To me, it's amazing to see how poorly food and drink systems are integrated into games, so think that should be fixed.

Solution to improve the system.

(One of the following options should be used as a base for food and drinks.)
a. Remove all lootable food and drink items from the game and replace them with random junk items instead.
b. Remove all low-quality lootable food and drink items from the game, but leave expensive/finer ones.

Vendors should be organized into a quality system.

1. Highest tier is restaurants or food vendors which have a proper shop.
2. Street vendors.
3. Vending machines.

Each of these should sell food that applies a buff based on the tier, for example:

High-quality food
Give +10% max health and 0.5% health recovery during and outside combat. + a combat stat and small XP bonus.

Street food
Give +5% max health and 0.5% health recovery during and outside combat. + XP bonus

Vending machines
Give +5% max health and 0.5% health recovery during and outside combat.

Consuming a mixture of food
Will simply calculate a % based on how much of each is consumed. So mixing things, the player could end up with +7.5% health etc.

Bought food
The price for food bought from any vendors has their price increased and is consumed the moment the player buys them, Given that a day cycle in Cyberpunk is 3 hours, these buffs should last either 1 hour or 1.5 hours in real-time. The same should be the case with drinks.

Food that is found (In case they don't want to remove/change these)
Depending on the quality of the food, this should add to the timer when eaten or drank, maybe adding 5 minutes per item used. Stacking up to the maximum of 1 / 1.5 hours.

Certain drinks bought either at bars or special drinks shops, should give a bonus to stats, such as +1% crit, recovery of Ram, give armour buff, +1 accuracy etc. And will also last a long time, making them worth buying and using, to avoid people getting too overpowered, simply reduce the player's stats a little to make up for it, if needed.

I played wow, I understand the concept of food buffs but..

aren't they just make work. I mean, How is it in anyway immersive to give yourself +1% crit because you ate a hot dog say.

If I am low on health I will eat some food in game, I will go to a machine, or eat some food from the environment. Often there is food laying about to be eaten. I try to avoid picking up food and drink and instead just use them ad hoc.

are food buffs really a fun part of a game or a time sink?

I played wow, I understand the concept of food buffs but..

aren't they just make work. I mean, How is it in anyway immersive to give yourself +1% crit because you ate a hot dog say.

If I am low on health I will eat some food in game, I will go to a machine, or eat some food from the environment. Often there is food laying about to be eaten. I try to avoid picking up food and drink and instead just use them ad hoc.

are food buffs really a fun part of a game or a time sink?
Well in a world where we can expect food to be highly modified it might not be as stupid. Also you could make that argument with almost anything in the game. Why should a bra give any armor? etc. And they already made food to give you a buff.

Food buffs at the moment is a time sink, that is the issue. If they integrated it better into the game, it could be a good thing, but when the buff you get last such a short amount of time, it becomes annoying. That is why they should increase the timer to 1 or 1.5 hour real-time, that would mean that you character would need to eat 2-3 times a day in-game time.

Food in this game could function just as potions do in many fantasy games, they give you a buff. But having to buff constantly is annoying.

Top Bottom