Oversexualizaton in Cyberpunk

+
Assuming that there are still transsexual people in the world of Cyberpunk I’d imagine that a full body conversion which ends up making them look like the opposite sex would actually be something positive in their eyes.

According to the When Gravity Falls book, a total sex change is rather cheap biosculpting, relatively speaking, with only a month of recovery and even capable of providing reproductive function for the new body.

i think some kind of oversexualization in cyberpunk 2077 comes with the universe and genre
cyberpunk does "extrapolate on the current fears and dangers of Humanity".. so it only makes sense that in c77 we will have an extrapolation of our current and already oversexualized culture

I'm drawn to CD Projekt and their games almost exclusively because they are foreign, like to play with mature concepts and don't have those annoying American ideals about sex or nudity being the worst thing ever in a video game (for the record, I'm American and I live in the states). I mean, we're fine with mass murder, but a little sex is a no-no? Eh, I never got that about us. I can understand the reasoning on some level, though (not very good arguments, but that's beside the point).

I don't know what Cyberpunk 2077 is or what it is based off of (some tabletop game?), but, personally, I hope the game stays true to the setting, however perverted and over-sexualized it may or may not be, because I like that sort of thing. Witcher may have actually helped the industry along a bit with that (although the collectible cards in Witcher 1 was kind of amusing in that "this is kind of offensive" sort of way).

Getting the word out there about the game before it's developed so sufficient hype can be built up is a good way to start out, because whether or not they decide to advertise (or are even allowed to) in the more prudish countries will be an afterthought at that point.

Glad too see more people being aware of how silly the hipocracy is, where people try to shield them from sex, love and nudity, might as well throw in swears there, but violence, guns and egoism is a-okay. It's disheartening as all hell...

Can't wait to play Cyberpunk. Another mature, intelligent game from Red where I'll be treated as an adult and they won't make a fuss out of completely arbitrary, small, insignificant things. I just cannot wait! :)

Well i've been around a few decades and i've not seen the attire of anybody get more conservative, the scraps of material that cover young lasses in the clubs now would have been considered a violation of public decency when I was growing up, and the peelers would have nicked the wearer. Stick another sixty five years on to that tally and i'm pretty sure that the, "OH NO I HAVE SEEN BARED FLESH" brigade are going to be right royally outraged with dress codes in 2077. Then again they always are outraged over something, their minds revolve around what to be outraged over next.

^This.

The game's set 60-some years from now in NorCal, not 60 years ago in Kansas. Even today, go clubbing anywhere that's sufficiently hip they won't let me in, wearing that white outfit, and the reaction you'd get would not be "Go put some clothes on," it'd be "Girl, where'd you get that?"

I'm not sure where "oversexualized" would be in relation to this setting, but I don't think the teaser is anywhere near it. Give equal time to a few Castro Clones with interesting character, and you will have caught the atmosphere as perfectly as Bogart's trench coat and fedora caught the Forties.

Considering Braindance, virtual environments and AIs, who cares about real sex and real sexuality ?
Meat is for loosers.
Anything is possible through the matrix, without all the drawbacks or the real thing.
So no, I do not think sexuality is an important feature of the average punk everyday life. It is so cheap to connect a simstim to actually live the show (and I do not doubt that even the most pervert jerk would find his load of crap).

Besides, as Gibson states in Neuromancer, beauty is easily (cheaply ?) available. Everyone may be good looking for some bucks.
Being ugly may be a form of courage (Ratz, Bartender).
Take a look at Richard Morgan's novel Altered Carbon to have a pretty good idea of what a seasonned 'runner may think of his body : a replaceable tool.

The playbeings from Chromebooks are fine by me (may even be fun), but I never used them (nor my players) in my games. If you want a firebreathing dragon-headed character, try Shadowrun instead :p
More seriously :
- gender change is mundane
- biosculpt / plastic surgery is mundane (poser gangs, fans....)
- exotics is scarce (but with a good marketing plan, who knows ?)
- people don't go out half naked
- sexuality is not something anybody care of (who fuck who ? How ? when ? how often ? ... who cares ?)
- all sexual perversion (known and not yet discovered) are available more or less easily as a photorealistic Sim (at least). For the "real" thing (snuff ?), contact your local fixer or mafia godfather.

My 2 cents on that.

Hope I'm clear because English is not my native language.

Once again, I am not condemning ANY of the imagery in the trailer. Out of hundreds of pictures made for the rulebooks, they chose that one. That's all there is to it, take it as you wish. Be it a nod to the fans or a marketing ploy (honestly, it's both).

They liked freeze-framed theme of the picture. They thought that theme of bullets frozen in the time is a great idea for a trailer and they were right. I really doubt that they were looking for "the most sexy picture in the rulebook" and to be honest that one is not even that sexy in comparison to others.

Also there is way bigger chance that you would find an inspiring picture of sexy lady, than inspiring picture of modest lady in CP book, because there is way fewer of the later ones.

I think hyper-sexualisation represents the whole vibe of Cyberpunk really well, but I think it would feel like it was just done for the sake of it if it was only women who were overly sexualised and men weren't. it has to work both ways to be authentic :confused:

I think hyper-sexualisation represents the whole vibe of Cyberpunk really well, but I think it would feel like it was just done for the sake of it if it was only women who were overly sexualised and men weren't. it has to work both ways to be authentic :confused:

There's a catch to be seen here... the average schmuck doesn't really look like that. At 1:24 you can see some of the corpses of the victims, and they look pretty avearge, nondescript. Even the cops and the Psycho-cop are shown to be more subtle than the girl in the middle.
It's called contrast, as a way of pointing out something.

There will likely be both blatant plays at sexuality with both sexes as well as tons of people who will simply appear normal. It's part of the world.
But here in this teaser, the girl is the centerpiece. Adding such would have detracted from it.

How about some skimpily dressed guys out there too nothing bugs me more then seeing the females in game all looking like they are hookers no matter what role they are in while the male avatars are dressed up tight from neck to toe

CP is dangerous , decadent, sleazy and sexually open for BOTH genders a female is just as likely to go pick up some guy on the street corner as she is to stick a bullet in your brains

How about some skimpily dressed guys out there too nothing bugs me more then seeing the females in game all looking like they are hookers no matter what role they are in while the male avatars are dressed up tight from neck to toe

CP is dangerous , decadent, sleazy and sexually open for BOTH genders a female is just as likely to go pick up some guy on the street corner as she is to stick a bullet in your brains

When I go to bars, restaurants and clubs, I don't see guys showing skin, I see women showing skin. In fact, wherever I go, women tend to show more of themselves than guys ever do. Perhaps it falls under the heading of cultural norms.

I would like to discuss other aspect. How do you present a feature that is an integral part of the genre in a way you wont face the accusation?

Present the topic in ways that do not immediately bring to mind how many other video games have stereotypically presented sexuality. Avoid having women in their underwear or other similar garments while men are almost completely covered.

No, damn you. Present everyone in their underwear. It's only fair.

There is actually an option in Lifepath for the PnP under preferred clothes for, "Nude". That's especially amusing when paired with neon hair.

Give equal time to some well-built Castro Clones; problem solved :cool:

Present the topic in ways that do not immediately bring to mind how many other video games have stereotypically presented sexuality. Avoid having women in their underwear or other similar garments while men are almost completely covered.

It is those other games and the mountain of commercial beauty related products that are marketed and sold that create this sterotype in the now that is being amplified in the 20 minutes from now future. If anything it should be more pronounced in this genre. No I am not excusing it, but I am aware enough of the situation and the genre to understand that it is ment to be used in just such a manner.

Lets declaw the social commentary of how the cyberpunk world is worse than the world we imagine it, by scrubbing away anything that makes us uncomfortable.

Yeah, no. Mike Pondsmith wants an uncompromising adaptation of the world of Cyberpunk.

I'm glad he wants all the ugly seduction of the vice in Cyberpunk.

They liked freeze-framed theme of the picture. They thought that theme of bullets frozen in the time is a great idea for a trailer and they were right. I really doubt that they were looking for "the most sexy picture in the rulebook" and to be honest that one is not even that sexy in comparison to others.

Also there is way bigger chance that you would find an inspiring picture of sexy lady, than inspiring picture of modest lady in CP book, because there is way fewer of the later ones.

The picture in the background from the CP2020 rule book was picked, I'm guessing, due to it's icon-like status in the minds of most CP2020 fans, and because of the character's icon-like status with CP2020 players, it's Alt Cunningham.

The picture in the background from the CP2020 rule book was picked, I'm guessing, due to it's icon-like status in the minds of most CP2020 fans, and because of the character's icon-like status with CP2020 players, it's Alt Cunningham.

I'm not talking about Alt. I'm talking about this:

In the course of our collaboration with CD Projekt RED, we approached dozens of ideas before settling on a seemingly freeze-framed setting that referenced one of the illustrations from the original game manual.

When I go to bars, restaurants and clubs, I don't see guys showing skin, I see women showing skin. In fact, wherever I go, women tend to show more of themselves than guys ever do. Perhaps it falls under the heading of cultural norms.

Wait, what? Women showing more skin than men? Didn't they ever hear about the important issue of objectification? What kind of sorcery is this!

It's more about evolution more than culture. Men are objectified by their wealth,skill and sensitivity. Most surveys asking women if they'd rather have an ugly rich guy or an attractive poor guy they''d choose former.

Top Bottom