Pacifist Play-through?

+
If I understand correctly, the cops in 2020 are more a para-military force, not keepers of the peace as we know them today. It is not to serve and protect, more like to control and oppress. With the presence and threat of criminals bearing lethal arms being even greater than in Detroit, the police is not going to take any chances by using non-lethal force. If in doubt, bullet to the head. Better a dead unproven suspect than a dead cop. Check Dredd and Judge Dredd for reference.

News to me... I mean the Cyberpunk 2020 Cop Sourcebook is named Serve And Protect afterall....

This isn't to say cops aren't assholes... but they are still cops. Standard uniform patrol and beat cops still patrol the streets, tehy still give out parking tickets, they still make arrests. Hell they are even issued Ion Cuff's, which disrupt the cyber of a limb, making it pretty much a limp piece of metal.

Detective divisions still solve crimes...

Swat still handles most common events... hostage situations, raids, escalated situations..etc...

Then There is C-SWAT, which not only is a bigger badder version of swat trained to deal directly with cyber augmented threats... but they also deal with all areas of Cybernetic investigation... Think AD Police from Bubblegum Crisis.

Non lethal in video games is kind of a myth anyway. In Deus Ex, which everyone seems to be using as their basis, there was no difference between dead and knocked out, except if you carelessly left a body lying around his friends could find it and revive him... but they never woke up on their own, and in fact dissapeared fromt eh game as certainly as if you killed them.
They did non-lethal correctly in one of the Hitman titles (I forget which; haven't played a while...)

Opening mission, you had to infiltrate a villa to whack the mob boss inside. One of your options for getting in (besides guns blazing) was knocking out one of the delivery people, then taking their clothes.

Problem was, if you weren't quick enough in your mission objective, the delivery person (provided you didn't put a slug in their dome) eventually woke up and alerted the guards, sending the villa into high alert.

In my opinion, pacifist playthrough is what differentiates role-playing and action role-playing. This is important just like all the other optional content in the game (branching story, character customization, etc). Simply put, player should be able to express himself however he wants to, which includes non-combat approach. As some already mentioned, best way is a proper implementation of various non-combat skills and most importantly - to reward players for solving missions, not for body count.

As much as a I love combat style game play, I definitely want the option of being a pacifist. That's one thing I liked about dishonored, you could usually perform some kind of side quest in order to neutralize the target instead of killing him. Although the Deus Ex style of only killing bosses could be employed as well, I would prefer some way of trapping the boss.

This poll shows how very tired and bored with the stupid style mass produced shooter games the RPG players community really is. Amen.

Well. We-ll. We hardly represent that mass.

That mass continues to buy CoD and Halo and whatnot by the millions of shipped units. Because they have fun. Good for them! It draws them away fro our beloved corners, their festering infection kept clear of our healthy mind-tissue.

This poll shows how very tired and bored with the stupid style mass produced shooter games the RPG players community really is. Amen.

If that's the interpretation, I think that the poll shows that forum polls don't really say anything :)

As dreambled said, I think it shows we appreciate options. I definitely wouldn't want pacifist INSTEAD of mayhem. I want both.

If that's the interpretation, I think that the poll shows that forum polls don't really say anything :)

As dreambled said, I think it shows we appreciate options. I definitely wouldn't want pacifist INSTEAD of mayhem. I want both.

amen

And if its a choice, I defintely would choose shooty shooty stabby stabby over huggy hippy time...

Huggy hippy? You mean persuasion and stealth? :cool:

You say tomato I say "DIE MOTHERFUCKER DIE..................... BLAMM BLAMMMITY BLAMM BMBLAMM BLAMM THWOCK SLICE BLAMMITY BLAMMITY PUNCH STAB DEFENTSTRATE "OH GOD MY SPLEEN" AHAHAHHAHAHA BLAM BLAM BLAM KICK.............................................. BLAM"

you say tomato i say "die motherfucker die..................... Blamm blammmity blamm bmblamm blamm thwock slice blammity blammity punch stab defentstrate "oh god my spleen" ahahahhahaha blam blam blam kick.............................................. Blam"
lol

Huggy hippy? You mean persuasion and stealth? :cool:

Or how about frying the neural implants of digital assailants with defensive virus code, damaging their brain tissue in critical and tragic ways?

I dunno about your guys, but that sounds more delicious and deviously cyberpunk-ey than shooty shooty stabby stabby :D

Or how about frying the neural implants of digital assailants with defensive virus code, damaging their brain tissue in critical and tragic ways?

I dunno about your guys, but that sounds more delicious and deviously cyberpunk-ey than shooty shooty stabby stabby :D

That's because you wanna play a nerdrunner :p

Top Bottom