Paid vs Unpaid Match Ups

+
Nimraphel;n9128090 said:
All your "complaints" are addressed already in numerous forum threads (you're willing to spend time writing these complaints - I can only advise you spent similar short time using the search function and finding the relevant threads explaining the mulligan system etc).

I did this.

I do want to point out that the forum search results when you have questions you don't even know how to ask about are not... helpful. Most of the results were from the other Witcher games.

I think a lot of you are already huge fans of this genre of game and talk from years of experience and as far as I was concerned you weren't responding to me but just agreeing with each other. There's a card that could have been recommended to me that almost perfectly addresses my complaint. http://www.gwentdb.com/cards/50023-johnny I feel like this card would have addressed my complaints about going up against gold and silver cards as a lower leveled player. I'm not actually sure it's a "good card" but it's a specific recommendation that could have been made.

Why would Johnny help you? It will hardly benefit you to discard your, say, Geralt and getting a Cerys if you play Scoia'tael. Johnny is pretty much purely a Ciri Dash/QG Cerys card. How would Johnny address your vague complaint? How is he the solution to whatever your problem is, as opposed to crafting your own deck?

Furthermore, I think your assessment above is flat-out wrong. Our responses are not tied to being fans of the genre. We are giving you sound advise, disproving those of your claims that were blatantly wrong yet which you were cocksure about, and trying to get a better feel about your situation when you were vague.

You are still vague. I cannot figure out if you are incapable of deckbuilding, if you do not know how to craft cards, if you are incapable of (or unwilling to) basic theorycrafting yet still expect to be successful (why should you be?)... But ultimately it seems more and more apparent to me that a bit of introspection on your part would be more valuable than any advise anyone could serve you on a silver platter. For heaven's sake, the thread on whether or not Gwent is P2W has been on the front page of this forum for two days straight.

The problem is you, sorry to be blunt.

Ihear_BlueColors;n9130250 said:
I do want to point out that the forum search results when you have questions you don't even know how to ask about are not... helpful. Most of the results were from the other Witcher games.

When you click on the magnifying glass WITHOUT entering any search parameters, you will be taken to the advanced search page. There you can better specify what you are looking for.

Alternatively, you can use Google's domain search by entering "site:forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/" behind each search in Google.

Nimraphel;n9131720 said:
Why would Johnny help you? It will hardly benefit you to discard your, say, Geralt and getting a Cerys if you play Scoia'tael. Johnny is pretty much purely a Ciri Dash/QG Cerys card. How would Johnny address your vague complaint? How is he the solution to whatever your problem is, as opposed to crafting your own deck?

Furthermore, I think your assessment above is flat-out wrong. Our responses are not tied to being fans of the genre. We are giving you sound advise, disproving those of your claims that were blatantly wrong yet which you were cocksure about, and trying to get a better feel about your situation when you were vague.

You are still vague. I cannot figure out if you are incapable of deckbuilding, if you do not know how to craft cards, if you are incapable of (or unwilling to) basic theorycrafting yet still expect to be successful (why should you be?)... But ultimately it seems more and more apparent to me that a bit of introspection on your part would be more valuable than any advise anyone could serve you on a silver platter. For heaven's sake, the thread on whether or not Gwent is P2W has been on the front page of this forum for two days straight.

The problem is you, sorry to be blunt.

My bad.

Last edited:
What is the difference between F2P and paid decks? Absolutely nothing. Every faction gets a decent base deck and enough golds and silvers to mill, so you can create a strong META deck, which is Weather monsters atm. and I hate them and they should get nerfed.
Point being, I dusted all my other cards to get a good Nilfgard deck, played my way up the ranks and got enough cards and dust to craft more. I'm full F2P player and have all the nilfgard cards and am still able to create strong META decks (exept for monsters cause I hate them and they should get nerfed.)

Nimraphel;n9131720 said:

I agree it might not be a good card. My biggest complaint was that at lower levels (started to happen a lot at level 7) I'd get matched up against lv 10+ people, with ranks 5+ who had silver and gold cards that I could not craft yet as a lower level character. Just don't have the resources. Johnny's would have been a specific suggestion in response to not having those cards. Even though it'd do little for deck synergy. Heck using it in games would likely demonstrated that having more gold/silver is not strictly a better deck.

I would read through pages of the posts about the drop rate of card types in the loot crates but people talked about opening X numbers of boxes. I still haven't figured out how they track this. I tried saving up four crates and that was more fun for opening because I had four extra cards to mill immediately.

I'm not going to mill cards if I don't even know what's good or what I can play well or like. I had a strengthen units Scoiatel deck which would win me round 2 and occasional round 3. It wasn't fun but it could get me through the daily. But trying to read up on good decks here on the forums is pretty confusing. One deck suggestion is followed with pages of analysis and edits.

After one night of way too many fucking games in a row trying to get to level 10. I'm now sitting on 800 scrap. But it doesn't seem like enough to start deck building yet.

Just to pitch a suggestion... maybe have a separate game mode that player can only use pre-set decks (no custom decks). The pre-set deck will change up week to week (LoL's weekly champion-ish).

Pardon me in advance but the following is going to sound harsh. Correct me if I haven't understood you right.

Ihear_BlueColors;n9135940 said:
I agree it might not be a good card. My biggest complaint was that at lower levels (started to happen a lot at level 7) I'd get matched up against lv 10+ people, with ranks 5+ who had silver and gold cards that I could not craft yet as a lower level character. Just don't have the resources. Johnny's would have been a specific suggestion in response to not having those cards. Even though it'd do little for deck synergy. Heck using it in games would likely demonstrated that having more gold/silver is not strictly a better deck.

First, "could not craft yet as a lower level player"? You can. Nobody prevents you from designing a deck and crafting the requisite cards. In your case, as you've demonstrated, you refuse to. As you have said yourself, you don't want to mill cards. At least not without knowing "what is good and what is not." Aside from the fact that a treasure trove of theorycrafting and data is available to help you determine this, your situation is not really different from the rest of us when we started - yet we put thought into deck design and built decks that, while having some dubious choices, were enough to carry us high.

If you're unwilling to mill and unwilling to spend a single dime on the game, why on earth do you complain about having a limited card pool? It makes absolutely no sense.

I would read through pages of the posts about the drop rate of card types in the loot crates but people talked about opening X numbers of boxes. I still haven't figured out how they track this. I tried saving up four crates and that was more fun for opening because I had four extra cards to mill immediately.

There is a pity timer guaranteeing you a legendary at minimum every 40 kegs. Mostly you won't have to wait that long, it's a preventive measure against extreme outliers. Anyway, why do you care about drop rates aside from a purely curiousity perspective? Why are you not devoting your resources (which, as you just confirmed, allows you to sift through "pages of posts") to read up on a few of the very informative articles found at Gwentlemen or a few deck guides at Gwentdb or Gwentify?

I'm not going to mill cards if I don't even know what's good or what I can play well or like. I had a strengthen units Scoiatel deck which would win me round 2 and occasional round 3. It wasn't fun but it could get me through the daily. But trying to read up on good decks here on the forums is pretty confusing. One deck suggestion is followed with pages of analysis and edits.

After one night of way too many fucking games in a row trying to get to level 10. I'm now sitting on 800 scrap. But it doesn't seem like enough to start deck building yet.

Look, you cannot break level (or is it rank...?) 10. At that level a fully optimized deck is not really essential as the skill level is not high enough to fully utilize it anyway. Regarding pages of analysis, yes, the meta changes. People have different takes on it. The point is, the more you read and experience, the more you - hopefully! - develop your own analytical and theorycrafting skills, to the point where you become an active participant rather than a sheep.

Again, your cardinal problem is that you refuse one of the fundamental premises of the F2P experience - milling cards in order to craft from a limited pool of resources - and are unwilling to opt into the alternative, which is spending money. Since you refuse either, I find your 'problem' to be with you rather than the matchmaking system, the game or whatever else you attribute it to.

Now, replying to these non-threads is becoming tiresome, to put it mildly... In order to better help you, can you please post your current decklist/decklists? I can see if I can give you some advice on what to craft and how to optimize it or them.

Nimraphel;n9138930 said:
Pardon me in advance but the following is going to sound harsh. Correct me if I haven't understood you right.

Again, your cardinal problem is that you refuse one of the fundamental premises of the F2P experience - milling cards in order to craft from a limited pool of resources - and are unwilling to opt into the alternative, which is spending money. Since you refuse either, I find your 'problem' to be with you rather than the matchmaking system, the game or whatever else you attribute it to.

No that's fair.

So... A good place to find deck ideas is either google Gwent decks or checkout Gwent streamers and see if you find someone playing a deck that fancy you.

A lot if decks functions just fine without the specific Golds which makes crafting it a lot cheaper.

Of course you'll need the golds to grow in ranking later but you should be able to get started without them.

​​​​
​​

Top Bottom