Papa Emhyr [Spoilers]

+
You mean dialogue with Yen?
Yup.

But it doesn't mean that she cannot return in thoughts to this later...
"Seed of the doubt" has been planted :hrhr:

Assuming she ever suspected she made a mistake in her excellent Elder speech. :D

Assuming she ever suspected she made a mistake in her excellent Elder speech.

Elder speech is very tricky, especially with this twisted word "luned" :turned:

When Geralt says that Emperor wants to see Ciri - Ciri replies that Yennefer has already mentioned "something" about it. So between ladies had place a dialogue about Emhyr. Unfortunately we didn't see their conversation and cann't know for sure if Yen mentioned that Emhyr is Ciri's real father.

Last edited:
As an overall reply to most of your commentary... that's your interpretation. I do support analysis, but I feel as if you're reading a lot into the game story, into the realm of headcanon, and presenting it as the non-falsifiable facts. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

I don't disagree with your interpretation of Ciri, however, I don't feel that Emhyr could satisfy her desire for familial connection. Emhyr is not warm or forbearing, even around those who aren't Geralt. Occasionally he comes across as being mildly sociopathic. He's never played the role of a father figure to Ciri; Geralt has. And perhaps most importantly, Emhyr hasn't indicated any desire to be a father to Ciri, to all superficial appearances. Yes, I suppose it could be said that he expresses concern for her, but whether it's politically or paternally oriented is left ambiguous. He'd never express his feelings towards his daughter to Geralt in an emotional heart-to-heart à la Phillip Strenger.

Either way, it seemed as if Emhyr wanted to 'possess' Ciri. (G: [I don't intend to bring her here.] "Wouldn't count on that happening." E: "That was no request. It was an order, Geralt. And I advise you well... Do not disobey me.") He doesn't care if it's what Ciri wants. If she and Emhyr had any semblance of a familial relationship, I suspect it would be a dysfunctional one, similar to her relationship with Avallac'h, or Mistle. User and used.

Also, you neglected one more thing which I believe is integral to Ciri's happiness: personal freedom. Which I don't feel she would have under Emhyr.

A few months ago and Emhyr was "authoritarian rotter", now he's 'Papa'... quite a turnaround. I would like to know how this Papa Emhyr came about.

I don't disagree with anything here. I think Emhyr is a psychopath. He's a very CAPABLE psychopath, though, and very persuasive.

"The International Knights' Tourney under the patronage of Lady Vivienne de Tabris, 1275". Assuming it is not a typo

I'm positive that's just a typo.
Requirements for BaW include the completion of A Poet Under Pressure, so it's still Act I Novigrad.
There's no way they can jump forward three years like that right in the middle of the main quest.

I'm positive that's just a typo.
Requirements for BaW include the completion of A Poet Under Pressure, so it's still Act I Novigrad.
There's no way they can jump forward three years like that right in the middle of the main quest.

Although you can play the expansion before the ending of the main game, it has been written with the assumption that the main story is already over. That is why there is for example a dialogue with Regis about how Geralt defeated the Wild Hunt together with Ciri - that obviously makes no sense in Act 1.

Edit: the Polish and German versions also say 1275, but in Polish, Rainfarn of Attre won the tourney in 1290 instead of 1269. I think the Polish text is the original and the others were translated from that, so the 1290 is probably an error. However, they did not change the 1275 in the translations, so I am not sure if that is intentional or not. Only one of the developers (theta77 ?) could give a definitive answer.

Last edited:
Although you can play the expansion before the ending of the main game, it has been written with the assumption that the main story is already over. That is why there is for example a dialogue with Regis about how Geralt defeated the Wild Hunt together with Ciri

"Assumption" is not the same as "possibility". Are you sure that line of dialogue actually appears if you haven't completed the main quest? I guess they just have some dialogue branches that can either play or not according to the status of the main. It they indeed appear regardless, then it's a bug and should be reported.

"Assumption" is not the same as "possibility". Are you sure that line of dialogue actually appears if you haven't completed the main quest? I guess they just have some dialogue branches that can either play or not according to the status of the main. It they indeed appear regardless, then it's a bug and should be reported.

Yes, the dialogue is always there - some already complained about that, it only changes if the main game is completed with the bad ending. And in any case if Blood and Wine is played after the ending, then it is really meant to be after the ending story wise, it is apparent from the epilogues if Geralt is visited by someone. It is surprising that the events of the expansion may take place in 1275, but not impossible. At least in the case of the empress ending, it would probably have to be at least in 1273 anyway, though (the empress epilogue is in the winter, and then in BaW it is summer again). That the scribe's notes show 1275 even during the main story can be considered a "bug", similarly to the dialogue about Ciri.

I don't disagree with anything here. I think Emhyr is a psychopath. He's a very CAPABLE psychopath, though, and very persuasive.

I agree. The one thing that makes me wonder though, is his alleged guilty feelings about Pavetta's death. If he were truly psychopathic, why should he feel remorse for what happened? And leaving Ciri at Stygga for no reason other than his own ambiguous feelings andor moral principles.

Last edited:
I agree. The one thing that makes me wonder though, is his alleged guilty feelings about Pavetta's death. If he were truly psychopathic, why should he feel remorse for what happened? And leaving Ciri at Stygga for no reason other than his own ambiguous feelings andor moral principles.

I think Emhyr THINKS he feels guilt over Pavetta's death. I think it's probably as much as he's capable of feeling on the subject. However, the difference between a psychopath and a regular person is the psychopath feels guilt the way you really regret not going to that once in a lifetime concert or buying that lottery ticket the time your numbers came up. He didn't "love" Pavetta but I imagine she was a convenience and her demise certainly made things extraordinarily complicated for him with annexing Cintra.

Psychopaths can probably best be described as people who just don't feel things very deeply except their own self interest.

Some people here have some serious hate issues with Emhyr... no wonder a phrase like "papa" drives them wild... but oh well, it is totally worth to rage about such a little trifle when 99,99% of the rest is the best game we've ever seen.

:sleepy:

I think Emhyr THINKS he feels guilt over Pavetta's death. I think it's probably as much as he's capable of feeling on the subject. However, the difference between a psychopath and a regular person is the psychopath feels guilt the way you really regret not going to that once in a lifetime concert or buying that lottery ticket the time your numbers came up. He didn't "love" Pavetta but I imagine she was a convenience and her demise certainly made things extraordinarily complicated for him with annexing Cintra.

Psychopaths can probably best be described as people who just don't feel things very deeply except their own self interest.

Wow, that's very insightful. How do you think he 'feels' towards Ciri? In TW3 he only seems to think of her as a political tool, or a resource to be exploited. To reiterate my earlier post on this thread, his concern for her seemed rooted in 'possession' rather than paternal responsibility. Emhyr even outright says that his interest in finding Ciri is all for reasons of state.

He didn't show any emotion when my Geralt told him Ciri was dead, besides a superficial sense of regret, maybe. But he does seem pleased if you flatter his ego and tell him that Ciri wanted to say goodbye.

Last edited:
BaW events take place in 1275 year...main story takes place in 1272. 3 years of the unknown. (so the possibility to play BaW before ending base game - nonsense from chronology point of view). 3 years with Emhyr. We simply don't know about their relations.

Interestingly, I have found these lines:
"Fiorano of the 1290 vintage. I do encourage you to try it."
"A thoroughbred Cabernet from the legendary 1288 vintage. You must try it."
Did anyone hear them in the game ? They should be early in the expansion's story (around the time of looking for the golden fish with Anna Henrietta), and said by servants in the gardens. But other than these and the scribe's notes, there seem to be references only to 1271 and before.

Attachments

• 292030_20160620_02.jpg
    292030_20160620_02.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 292030_20160620_01.jpg
    292030_20160620_01.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 80
Wow, that's very insightful. How do you think he 'feels' towards Ciri? In TW3 he only seems to think of her as a political tool, or a resource to be exploited. To reiterate my earlier post on this thread, his concern for her seemed rooted in 'possession' rather than paternal responsibility. Emhyr even outright says that his interest in finding Ciri is all for reasons of state.

He didn't show any emotion when my Geralt told him Ciri was dead, besides a superficial sense of regret, maybe. But he does seem pleased if you flatter his ego and tell him that Ciri wanted to say goodbye.

That's pretty much how Emhyr feels to me, I think. I think he thinks he loves Ciri but how he "loves" Ciri is he wants to give her things and use her as something which will guarantee his legacy and position in the world. He also likes Geralt in much the same way that he'll murder him if necessary but he seems like a cool guy and he'll feel kinda bad about it.

Which is terrifying in its own way but also a better portrayal of psychopaths than in most fiction.

Top Bottom