Papa Emhyr [Spoilers]

+
Of course, seeing Geralt enjoying his time in Toussaint after he just died makes absolutely no sense, but that's how it is... :crazy:

FYP

I'm sorry, I just assumed that Be It Ever So Humble didn't trigger if you used a savegame where you hit the bad ending. Because after that you're still dropped at the beginning of Act III, so you're alive and you can play the expansion, but of course you can't get the "past the main quest" moment, because of that minor problem... you're rotting in a barn in Velen.
Like, you know that moment when you're somewhat dead, and you'd really like to take your Yen out for a pizza or something, but you're, like, fucking dead? Cold? Missing limbs? Chewed by a sh*tload of monsters while you were crying like a baby with none of your swords ready? Yeah, that moment.

But hey, cheer up! Zombie Geralt came from the dead to host Dandelion at his house and probably feed on him (and B.B.) after they're done, because that's what dead people do, right?

You know, people will be quick to point that Geralt already died once and that this "revelation" probably heralds the arrival of Witcher 4 somewhere in the future, but this is just plain ridiculous. Way to destroy that fantastic tragic ending you made, CDPR

:facepalm2:

The new Dandelion epilogue in Blood and Wine basically confirms that Geralt survives the "bad ending". Which is kind of disappointing, since it no longer has the same emotional impact as before. Now they only need to make it clear (in a sequel ?) that Ciri survives that ending, too, to make it entirely meaningless. ::) Except maybe the events of Blood and Wine take place between the final battle with the Wild Hunt and the original epilogues, that still leaves it open to interpretation, but it may not make sense that in only 2 weeks (?) Geralt travels from Skellige to Kaer Morhen then Velen and Toussaint, does all the quests there, and then goes back to Velen from his vineyard to die in that hut.

Although there are other timeline issues with Blood and Wine as well, not sure how much thought was put into that when the expansion was written. The game still displays the usual "everything is as it was before the final chapter" message after the ending in Kaer Morhen, but then the BaW storyline clearly assumes that it is after the final battle. And if it is after the epilogues of the base game as well, then it would have to be at least a whole year later in the case of the empress ending, what was Geralt doing all that time ?

Last edited:
My expectations about future character development contradicts team writers thoughts? WHAAGH!!!! Bad writing!!!! Read the books!!! It cannot be!!! :lol:

Technically speaking, Sapkowski is far better than CDPR's writers. And his books are far better than the games.

Just pointing it out :p

I *HATE* the Empress ending but Ciri has made it abundantly clear she's only wanted one thing out of life and that's a family. If Geralt says that's Emhyr she's going to go all in. If Geralt says that's with him and Yen/Triss she'll go all in that way. I think the idea Ciri becomes a blissful girl under Emhyr is entirely understandable since all she's ever wanted was a place to call her own.

As an overall reply to most of your commentary... that's your interpretation. I do support analysis, but I feel as if you're reading a lot into the game story, into the realm of headcanon, and presenting it as the non-falsifiable facts. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.

I don't disagree with your interpretation of Ciri, however, I don't feel that Emhyr could satisfy her desire for familial connection. Emhyr is not warm or forbearing, even around those who aren't Geralt. Occasionally he comes across as being mildly sociopathic. He's never played the role of a father figure to Ciri; Geralt has. And perhaps most importantly, Emhyr hasn't indicated any desire to be a father to Ciri, to all superficial appearances. Yes, I suppose it could be said that he expresses concern for her, but whether it's politically or paternally oriented is left ambiguous. He'd never express his feelings towards his daughter to Geralt in an emotional heart-to-heart à la Phillip Strenger.

Either way, it seemed as if Emhyr wanted to 'possess' Ciri. (G: [I don't intend to bring her here.] "Wouldn't count on that happening." E: "That was no request. It was an order, Geralt. And I advise you well... Do not disobey me.") He doesn't care if it's what Ciri wants. If she and Emhyr had any semblance of a familial relationship, I suspect it would be a dysfunctional one, similar to her relationship with Avallac'h, or Mistle. User and used.

Also, you neglected one more thing which I believe is integral to Ciri's happiness: personal freedom. Which I don't feel she would have under Emhyr.

A few months ago Two years ago and Emhyr was "authoritarian rotter", now he's 'Papa'... quite a turnaround. I would like to know how this Papa Emhyr came about.

Last edited:
A few months ago and Emhyr was "authoritarian rotter", now he's 'Papa'... quite a turnaround. I would like to know how this Papa Emhyr came about.

BaW events take place in 1275 year...main story takes place in 1272. 3 years of the unknown. (so the possibility to play BaW before ending base game - nonsense from chronology point of view). 3 years with Emhyr. We simply don't know about their relations.

BaW events take place in 1275 year...main story takes place in 1272. 3 years of the unknown. (so the possibility to play BaW before ending base game - nonsense from chronology point of view). 3 years with Emhyr. We simply don't know about their relations.

Interesting detail, I did not notice that before. But it is indeed in the game, "The International Knights' Tourney under the patronage of Lady Vivienne de Tabris, 1275". Assuming it is not a typo, I wonder what happened in the 3 years between the ending of the main game and Blood and Wine.

According to the books, it can be taken that in the end a spark of nobility was awoken somewhere deep in the Emhyr's soul, in the soul of an ordinary man, not an Emperor. There was a time when he was an outcast Duny, when he was saved by the love of the princess and the intervention of the Witcher. The Northern Kings also committed their crimes because ' all is fair in Love and War' and so many times repeated phrase "the aim justifies the means'. Maybe the slight transformation began when his own daughter called him a beast:
Yes, you may say he made up his mind when all started to point out his mistakes, so he understood what was wrong and decided to, for once, have a little spark of humanity. I'm ok with this, always been.

Point is, I understand that Ciri took her responsibility and choose to start your her path to the throne, she thinks of it as something concrete to do and from an equally concrete position. I understand her compromise to live with this figure, "father" ... I understand everything ... but to call him "papa" simply a big no no. Sad retcon to live with, even worse when she didn't know he was her father in the books thanks to that "lost in translation" issue, but magically she knows who he is when you have that little chat with in Kaer Morhen.

Cheer up.

she didn't know he was her father in the books thanks to that "lost in translation" issue, but magically she knows who he is when you have that little chat with in Kaer Morhen.

She had offscreen chat with Yen, before Geralt, conerning this topic. It can explain her awareness.
Also, even in books, Ciri started to suspect that something "wrong" with this "va fail luned".

---------- Updated at 03:26 PM ----------

They were having a lot of snowball fights, that's for sure

Definitely

---------- Updated at 03:31 PM ----------

They should release 3rd DLC to cover these 3 years :D

Mahakam and Dol Blathanna await

She had offscreen chat with Yen, before Geralt, conerning this topic. It can explain her awareness.
Also, even in books, Ciri started to suspect that something "wrong" with this "va fail luned".
When?

For the books, I understand which line you mean, but to me at the end of the dialogue before being interrupted by Yennefer, she wasn't suspecting about that anymore because she was displaying her disbelief about what had just happened and the whole "they went away".

Top Bottom