Parkour

+
I've never played a single game with actual parkour mechanics, so I won't miss them if they aren't in Cyberpunk 2077.
Would be more than happy to take advantage of them (and probably have way too much fun) if they were, though. :D

Basic running and jumping -- especially since "jump any time you want" is currently confirmed -- are enough for me.

PS. As much as I love double jump in games where it's an option, it really doesn't make any sense to me. And, unless given an excellent reason for its existence, I'd rather not see it in Cyberpunk 2077.

When you come down to it 90% of the "problems" is stuff that has become "standard" game mechanics over the years. Many people (players and developers) can't imagine any other way it can be done.
I chalk it up to laziness and/or a lack of imagination.

When you come down to it 90% of the "problems" is stuff that has become "standard" game mechanics over the years. Many people (players and developers) can't imagine any other way it can be done.
I chalk it up to laziness and/or a lack of imagination.

There's also been experiments at changing things that were never pursued beyond one or two games simply because the initial experiment did it badly or simply didn't appeal to people due to those alternative mechanics.

Beyond Good and Evil is an excellent example. Well-made game. Unusual mechanics that were done well. Sunk like a rock when it was first released. Took 15 years to get a sequel announced as a result.

But, yeah. In general? It's really hard to sell unusual games.

Eh, I honestly can't see it being anything other than an unenjoyable headache in first-person, so I honestly couldn't care less if it was added to the game.

First person parkour works fine in games like Dying Light (some of the developers of which have apparently been hired by CDPR) and Mirror's Edge, I doubt the perspective would be an issue. And if it is not the main focus of the game, then the abilities would likely be toned down somewhat to more realistic levels.

Eh, I honestly can't see it being anything other than an unenjoyable headache in first-person, so I honestly couldn't care less if it was added to the game.
Have you played Mirror's Edge? I was skeptical about first person parkour until I played that game, now I can't imagine it in third person. That said I think that the mechanics, implementation, & control are more important than the perspective (for the high mobility movement features specifically), because IMO Mirror's Edge gave me way more precision in movement than the Prince of Persia series which in turn was WAY more precise than Destiny, so good and bad examples of movement for any perspective.

?????
How does it make ANY sense?
You jump then somehow in mid air extend the range of that jump.
It makes no sense at all.
Wait wtf. I thought double jump was like jumping very high (like double the distance). Fuck I don’t want that in the game. I mean how does someone think it’s a good idea to have that in the game. Mike is involved in the development isn’t he ? Surely he was against this or something

Last edited:
Wait wtf. I thought double jump was like jumping very high (like double the distance). Fuck I don’t want that in the game. I mean how does someone think it’s a good idea to have that in the game. Mike is involved in the development isn’t he ? Surely he was against this or something
Maybe some form of rocket thruster you can activate mid jump? Yeah I'm all for benefit of doubt when it comes to scifi tech enhancements, but this is testing the limits of my apologetics ;)

Isn't parkour something spectacular? Something every real Cyberpunk would try to achieve when killing or just in real life? I'm not saying that it would be cool as a gameplay but seeing some mates hang out by doing some parkour in Night City would be dope as hell :D

Maybe some form of rocket thruster you can activate mid jump? Yeah I'm all for benefit of doubt when it comes to scifi tech enhancements, but this is testing the limits of my apologetics ;)
Just say no to rocket boots.

Isn't parkour something spectacular? Something every real Cyberpunk would try to achieve when killing or just in real life? I'm not saying that it would be cool as a gameplay but seeing some mates hang out by doing some parkour in Night City would be dope as hell :D
It would also be dope as hell to use them for target practice. You know, just for fun.

At this point, I don't particularly care how realistic or unrealistic a given element is. As long as it's not literal superpowers or magic, and there may be some remotely-plausible explanation for it, sure. Fine. Whatever.

The realism argument is tiresome. We've been at it for years.

Presumably, you can ignore these things, thus your experience is not compromised. The only possibly-unavoidable thing I can think of -- for the time being -- is the healing system.

Double jumping sounds fun to me. So does wall running. So does vaulting or mantling up walls.

Isn't parkour something spectacular?

Based on my limited understanding, I don't think so. It's more designed to efficiently navigate over, under or around obstacles in a path. Like everything else most of the flashy, awe inspiring representations of it are... misrepresenting the purpose. In a setting like CP... functional Parkour would probably be useful. Granted, they probably don't need to go overboard with it.

Based on my limited understanding, I don't think so. It's more designed to efficiently navigate over, under or around obstacles in a path. Like everything else most of the flashy, awe inspiring representations of it are... misrepresenting the purpose. In a setting like CP... functional Parkour would probably be useful. Granted, they probably don't need to go overboard with it.

At the same time, "overboard and flashy" is part of the cyberpunk style in the CP games. They likely would go overboard just for that reason.

It's a slippery slope from double jumping to rocket jumping. That way lies madness.

So that way to get to Sparta?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't put it past someone to figure out how to rocket jump in the game. It's mostly not an intentional inclusion on the part of developers.

The parkour in the game is very important because you do it in most games of this generation and is it's cooler to parkour through the city than rather walking or running but the parkour should be fast pace like "Mirrors edge" because not a human so you should run as fast as some like Usain bolt.

Also the parkour by detailed an have purpose to the gameplay and not just there to look cool but an actual improvement on your character's movement in also should have upgrade like faster speed, able to jump higher and so on to improve gameplay even more because the movement in Witcher series is pretty primitive also this is the future parkour has already been invented by then also it would be cool In you could jump out of a building Maze runner where the action is amped by the parkour.

If you can double jump why not triple? Quadrupedal? Infinite?

True... An equally relevant question is why would you double jump? Seems like it would be more simple to use some mechanism to make your first jump propel you higher in the air, instead of a mechanism to let you "jump" again in mid-air. Case and point, some type of augmentation or appliance to allow higher jumps. It could be based on some type of propellant, augmented muscles/tendons, whatever. Regardless, it would make sense to use such a mechanism on your initial jump. Jumping a second time seems pointless.

Top Bottom