Patch 0.8.16 Changelog

+
StrykerxS77x;n6977230 said:
After the change it is far from useless.

Would you kindly explain why?

As for your question: clear skies being useless doesn't make Phil' less useless, so there is no contradiction.

Phil was the only hardcounter for buff-promote. And now there isn't one.

Basically, announced d.bomb changes are more then enough to counter pre-nerf Phil's impact. I'd still like her pre-nerf to become neutral instead of NR-only though. So the poison and the cure would both be available to any faction.

Last edited:
The changes sound good to me, though, I too am not sure if Philippa needed all three changes. I'm fine with "only disloyal," but in that context, it seems like one or the other: increase to 12 or no effect on gold cards would be a better balance. But, again, let's see how the game plays.

Wyborn;n6977190 said:
Dimeritium Bomb is a hard counter to this strategy now, though. You can let an NR player lay out all their cards in this way and then play DB and vaporize multiple rounds of effort.

It doesnt. When you promote/demote a unit its current strength become the original strength of the card. The green number you see on the promoted cards is the +2 NR ability and thats the only thing that d-bomb will remove.

I miss the fix for the Monster pack, when it's ability sometimes choose a Foglet - invoked by a Fog card - to stay for the next round, then disperse it immediately by removing the weather card.

Otherwise it looks good, I'm happy that medics can no longer be chain resurrected. That was f**kin annoying

yenni;n6977260 said:
no it is not. because with current mechanics any buffed unit gets his base strength set to current at the moment of promotion.

Hey man, you seem to have a quite good understanding of the metagame in general as i can tell for your posts here on forums for a long time, would you care of adding me on gog so we can chat and play sometimes? Same nickname. Or give me yours through mp and add you, farewell!

Hmmmm, interesting, didn't know that promotion changed the base strength. Will need to keep that in mind.

Like the changes for the most part. Medic category is a good solution to medics and priestesses. I agree with some others that Philippa should have stayed at 6 strength. The other two changes are enough. I would still like Scoia'tael to have some sort of graveyard game (either via resurrection or some form of graveyard disruption).

By the way, could we please get a regis_1 fix in the upcoming patch? He doesn't show up in the graveyard after demoting. So you can not res him.

Okay, can someone confirm me with an official source that the change to how dimeritium bomb affect buffed units promoted to gold is :
-only removing the +2 buff from the NR passive
-removing both that buff and the str that unit received from buffs before being promoted.

I see Yenni above being quite sure of himself, and he seems very knowledgeable about the game, but is that really the change here? Does it means that the "I'm NR so I like to play alone, please pass I'll present you with the final product and then watch you play alone against it" completely anti multiplayer behaviour is in line with the game design ?
That's what make me doubting it, because I have a hard time thinking it is especially since I saw a dev saying that next patch would get anti promote counter. In this patch note, if that dimeritium bomb change isn't the so-called "promote counter" then I don't see it.

Last edited:
No Title

Good changes.

Attachments

• photo79250.jpg
    photo79250.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 48
yenni;n6977310 said:
Would you kindly explain why?

As for your question: clear skies being useless doesn't make Phil' less useless, so there is no contradiction.

Phil was the only hardcounter for buff-promote. And now there isn't one.

Basically, announced d.bomb changes are more then enough to counter pre-nerf Phil's impact. I'd still like her pre-nerf to become neutral instead of NR-only though. So the poison and the cure would both be available to any faction.

Clear skies is far better now that it retains buffs. Now it's actually a hard counter to weather. It's not a perfect card as you can still get it when you don't need it. But it is FAR from useless.

I can go back and look but I believe you called Phil useless because of the nerf and then proceeded to say that clear skies sucks because it doesn't counter Phil. That doesn't make sense to me.

Phil isn't a good counter to buff promote because you had to play only one faction to be able to use it. That is a terrible counter. NR was nerfed in other ways so buff promote isn't quite as big of a problem.

Pre nerf Phil would still be over powered even with d bomb changes. IMO.

StrykerxS77x
Clear skies is a deadweight in any other matchup, so it decreases your winrate unless you almost always face weather-monsters.
Single clear skies is far from enough to counter a weather-heavy deck, so do you suggest to put two or even three copies of a deadweight card? Your winrate goes down the drain.
Or maybe you suggest to tough out multiple weathercasts before applying your single clear skies? Well then, your row gonna be removed by any means necessary.

Also, please re-read my post carefully. I want Phil to become neutral card with all her pre-nerf capabilities.
Proper NR decks are designed to mitigate Phil's impact anyway.
Cheers.

D-bomb changes are, obviously, a direct nerf to NR, but disproportionately affect Henselt versus Foltest.

Monster racial not working on gold units make a lot of sense.

Weather had some weird interactions before, but these changes should make it more predictable.

Phillipa, reinforced trebuchet, shieldsmith and Priscilla nerf were probably needed. Makes me kind of sad for all the scraps i just used to make a NR deck though :/

yenni;n6978650 said:
StrykerxS77x
Clear skies is a deadweight in any other matchup, so it decreases your winrate unless you almost always face weather-monsters.
Single clear skies is far from enough to counter a weather-heavy deck, so do you suggest to put two or even three copies of a deadweight card? Your winrate goes down the drain.
Or maybe you suggest to tough out multiple weathercasts before applying your single clear skies? Well then, your row gonna be removed by any means necessary.

Also, please re-read my post carefully. I want Phil to become neutral card with all her pre-nerf capabilities.
Proper NR decks are designed to mitigate Phil's impact anyway.
Cheers.

It's worth the risk, just like other cards in the game are worth the risk. If you feel like you need a counter to weather then it is there to use.
A single clear skies played at the right time can definitely win the round for you. Even a weather heavy deck isn't going to always have multiple weathers for the same row in the same round. I wouldn't suggest having two unless it's a deck you want specifically as a counter to monsters.
Why would I be concerned about NR decks? There are three other factions in the game and Phil is absurdly powerful vs. them. Phil would have made more sense as a neutral card but it would still have been too powerful.

I keep 1 clear skies in case I'm up against monsters. If it shows up in my draw against NR or Skellige I discard it. Sure there's a small change you might draw it in round 2 or 3 - and that sucks, but that's the risk you have to take.

StrykerxS77x
Most of other cards have multiple uses and do not become a deadweight in a wrong matchup.
Now to multiple weathers. There is Dagon leader ability to recast any effect you need. There are lots of weather cards in the game. The ones that cast weather on multiple rows simultaniously, even.

Phil' is actually most powerful against NR atm. Promotion backfires and destroys your chances to recover.

Damn, going to have to rethink my deck and strategy now. Annoying that over 1800+ scrap worth of cards I've bought in the last week is now going to be nerfed :/ Closed beta though I know :)

Guest 3945410

The Crones are perhaps the most fearsome monsters of The Witcher 3. Yet despire the fact that they're all included in GWENT, and despite the fact that the Monster deck seems to be most played (or at least tied with NR), I've never seen the Crones be played.

One reason is of course that they cost 200 each, but that's not an issue to most dedicated players. The main reason must be that it seems extremely disadvantageous to spend 3 silver slots to pull off the Crone synergy. Those 3 silver slots can be spent to support much more efficient synergies. And since they all have the same Strength and play on the same row, they're highly vulnerable to Scorch and row effects.

Perhaps the Crones should start of different rows (which makes sense due to their distinct fighting styles in TW3), and have different Strength. Instead of 7-7-7, perhaps 8-7-6 (Whispess is oldest/strongest, Weavess youngest/weakest). Or perhaps they might summon a Fiend as well, like in TW3. Even more fittingly, one of the Crones might return in the next round (reference to the Weavess evading death in TW3).

Top Bottom