[Patch 1.1 Bug] Item randomisation broken (hotfixed in patch 1.11)

+
For the purposes of procedural loot generation, we have identified 2 types of loot container:

1) Static container
2) Corpse container

The reason for this dilineation is that item types in corpse containers are pseudo randomly generated using a seed method whose input = xyz coordinates. So the items you get on corpses will randomize based on the location in which the enemy is killed. Rarity (subject to minimum level requirement) and mod type are randomized using a different method and we currently do not know what it is. However, we do know the outputs are not tracked in save.dat (or perhaps they are and are not recalling state correctly). We know this because we can re-randomize item rarity and mod type by save scumming.

Static containers should not generate item type based on xyz -> seed for the very obvious reason that they never move. A static container would be a safe or a chest or a body that is permadead (i.e. was never spawned at the location of an npc that was alive and moving at any point). We do not know the method used to generate item types in static containers.

I suspect it is mistakenly seed generated by xyz coordinates like corpse loot as this would explain why static container loot never seems to vary item type but right now we don't have evidence for it and this theory has not been independently verified. It is just as likely that the current behaviour is intentional.
Post automatically merged:

I can confirm that gun did the exact same thing upon loading. Damage went from 200-something to like 72.

That is consistent with my observation too. Weapons that drop directly on the ground level scale correctly through save/load. Weapons that generate inside corpse containers reset to level 1 after save/load.

Last edited:
Okay, here we go. I took a little half an hour of my time to gather as much evidence as possible.

2021-02-05 (16).png

All NCPD Assaults you see on this picture, at the North of City Center are (currently, for me) Very High Threat.

I checked them all and the results were actually not what I expected. A few of the loots were scaled to my level (or their own level requirement) while others were scaled to Level 1.

Heres some examples of correctly scaled loots:

2021-02-05 (10).png

2021-02-05 (11).png

And here's some, still in Very High threat level Assaults, that were level 1:

2021-02-05 (14).png

2021-02-05 (15).png

So this pretty much means that.. maybe it's just random for Very High level threat. I honestly dont know anymore.

I visited the whole Santo Domingo area again, and ALL High level threat Assaults had well scaled items:

2021-02-05 (17).png

2021-02-05 (19).png

2021-02-05 (18).png

All Moderate level threat Assaults I visited in Santo Domingo had Level 1 scaled items.

So this means, of course not garanteed 100% because I dont have time to do the whole city, that:

Level 1 scaling is guaranteed for Moderate threat Assaults in my game?
Level 1 scaling is not present for
High threat Assaults in my game?
Level 1 scaling is sometimes present, sometimes not, for
Very High threat Assaults in my game?

Attachments

• 2021-02-05 (20).png
    2021-02-05 (20).png
    4.8 MB · Views: 93
Threat level should have no influence on static container loot but I will go through all these locations and verify on multiple characters. We already know that some NCPD assault containers have items in them which never scale to player level (and I submit that they should).

In time this is something we will have to document so we can identify which ones don't scale and perhaps we will find a pattern or a reason for why this is happening.

Edit: Can you post the map locations for these NCPD assaults? Just so we can confirm each other's findings on a case by case basis.

Edit 2: Also, can you post player level for each of the screenshots. Based on the armour/damage I'm seeing on the items, I don't think player level = 17 for all of them. For example, I don't think its possible to get 120 base armour on a rare rockerjack at level 17.

Last edited:
Threat level should have no influence on static container loot but I will go through all these locations and verify on multiple characters. We already know that some NCPD assault containers have items in them which never scale to player level (and I submit that they should).

In time this is something we will have to document so we can identify which ones don't scale and perhaps we will find a pattern or a reason for why this is happening.

Yes, I also thought that maybe it's just that some of these are always subject to not scaling, or perhaps even that it was actually intended? I can't really tell anymore, please go through these areas and verify for yourself if you encounter the same pattern as me with the threat level.

Anyways, perhaps the NCPD case does need its own new thread. Regardless, this whole mess just brings to the same conclusion: there is a rampant problem with scaling in this game as of 1.11.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, I also thought that maybe it's just that some of these are always subject to not scaling, or perhaps even that it was actually intended? I can't really tell anymore, please go through these areas and verify for yourself if you encounter the same pattern as me with the threat level.

Anyways, perhaps the NCPD case does need its own new thread. Regardless, this whole mess just brings to the same conclusion: there is a rampant problem with scaling in this game as of 1.11.

Edit: @Hayte

Santo Domingo for High/Moderate level testing: approximatively this whole area (i should've really took note of which ones I visited, I'm sorry for being so sloppy about this)

Cyberpunk2077 2021-02-06 00-22-33.png

As for the Jacket, I can garantee you that I've been, and stayed level 17 throughout all the testing I've done so far. I am not makin any progress on this character atm because of these issues. You can see I'm level 17 on this screenshot. I'm assuming it's because its level requirement is 30 that it has 120 defense?

Last edited:
inner Clothing, I think (not sure) 3 slots are max for that

Which I know for sure:
Outer boddy has max 4
Legs has max 3
Glasses have max 3
Shoes max 3
I'm not sure about anything else ...
What's the max slot for melee weapons? Is it 3?

Seriously? What about a build with mostly COMMON clothing, sub-par cyberware and items, trashing the hardest opponents on VERY HARD constitutes "uber build" to you? You can beat Adam Smasher, the single hardest enemy, on the same difficulty NAKED w/o items, cyberware, quickhacks, by skillful play.

Instead of accusing people of elitism because you can't hack it (pardon the pun) on harder difficulties w/o save-scummed perfect loot, I suggest you change difficulty to EASY and use smart guns if you seriously struggle as you claim.
What about the players who are handicapped? I'm a partial tetraplegic from 2013. My rig is great but my game speed is very slow because of my accident/handicap. The chance to have a gear so that you can survive through the whole game is GREAT. If it's taken away, well... My fingers don't work well enough or quick enough in the long run so a little "save scumming" I can appreciate. Those who don't wan't to "save scum", let them have their speed run's etc, but don't take it away from us who suffer from different debilitations.

What about the players who are handicapped? I'm a partial tetraplegic from 2013. My rig is great but my game speed is very slow because of my accident/handicap. The chance to have a gear so that you can survive through the whole game is GREAT. If it's taken away, well... My fingers don't work well enough or quick enough in the long run so a little "save scumming" I can appreciate. Those who don't wan't to "save scum", let them have their speed run's etc, but don't take it away from us who suffer from different debilitations.
Are we still harping on this? Randomization is back on track for now, but it seems only to work properly for clothing? Save-scummed/container weapons seems to be nerfed (often are low level with no +crit chance/damage unlike drops from killed enemies). Don't know if this is a bug or deliberate.

With respect, you seem comfortable demanding special consideration while you're not willing to give any in return. You are advocating a "solution" that negatively affects for instance people with OCD (if we are to use medical conditions as tools to win arguments). Besides, a system that incentivizes save-scumming is objectively BAD (tedious and immersion-breaking time-trap)...especially when it contributes to making combat BORING for anyone who appreciates being appropriately challenged.

The difficulty levels are there for a reason, use them. If that is not enough, then argue for an easier easy mode. Argue for a standardized number of slots (i.e. legendary clothing with 0 or 1 slot is legendary in name only). Argue for better crafting. Or use a cheat mod. Or have the humility to realize FPS combat might not be for everyone. Just don't argue for the virtues of save-scumming and the borked loot system that incentivizes it.

I have damaged nerves that has led to some rather significant loss of manual dexterity/strength, but I'm currently playing on "VERY HARD", one-shotting normal enemies, clearing entire rooms extremely quickly, and defeating cyber-psychos before they even have a time to react. I do this using an epic smart gun (common enemy drop) that requires next to no manual dexterity, but can do it with most/all weapons with ease or use quickhacks which are even more boring. Deliberately avoided the, GODLIKE OP, near perma slow-motion Sandevistan as combat was already way, way, way too easy. Once I started snowballing, combat became increasingly more boring for me, and save-scumming is yet another boring aspect that I hate myself a little for gaming.

Last edited:
Are we still harping on this? Randomization is back on track for now, but it seems only to work properly for clothing? Save-scummed/container weapons seems to be nerfed (often are low level with no +crit chance/damage unlike drops from killed enemies). Don't know if this is a bug or deliberate.

These are 2 separate issues.

As of patch 1.12:

1) Item type, item quality and mod type are all randomizing as expected on corpse loot. All items on corpses level scale correctly until you save/load game state. If you leave corpse loot on the ground and reload a save file, it will scale to level 1 and this is permanent. This is definitely a bug.
2) Item quality and mod type are working as expected in static container loot. Item type does not randomize but this could be by design.
3) Most NCPD assault in progresses have quest marked static container which completes the gig upon interaction. Most (if not all) of these containers contain loot which is always level 1. This is almost certainly a bug but it has existed in the game since at least 1.06.

The distinction between weapons and clothing doesn't matter. What matters is the container the item is generated in as different random functions are used to determine item properties. If a weapon is spawned directly on the ground, it will randomize quality and mod type as expected and it will correctly level scale through save/load. If the weapon spawns inside a corpse container, it will scale to level 1 after save/load.

I still need to verify KuroganeHammer's findings in post no. 302 but I've been playing a bit more lately and cataloguing the gig reward chests (which so far all appear capable of dropping legendary items provided player level is 40 or higher). It would be nice if there was more than 1 person on this.

With respect, you seem comfortable demanding special consideration while you're not willing to give any in return.
I hate myself a little for gaming.

With respect, this is completely irrelevant to the thread topic.

I will never understand why people use a bug hunting thread to argue over design and direct criticism towards other forum goers. This is not a constructive use of anyone's time, including yours. There is plenty of validation needed for level scaling issues in 1.12. It is disappointing that so few people are willing to participate but have all the time in the world to scream into the void.

Last edited:
2) Item quality and mod type are working as expected in static container loot. Item type does not randomize but this could be by design.
Negative from my experience. Static container loot is as I mentioned "nerfed". The level of the item seem to adjust to yours, but not always. Special weapon properties (ie. two shot on tech weapons) are randomized. However, regardless of rarity and level, weapons usually comes with around +5 crit chance/+10 crit damage (especially melee weapons while ranged weapons often don't come with any crit adjustment). I'm level 48 now and haven't used a single weapon from static containers for this reason, I purely resort to enemy drops who are randomized and NOT bugged (unless fixed boss weapons). Needless to say, this is *much* worse than not being able to savescum when it comes to weapons as (non-iconic) weapons from containers prior to the last patch at least could be good.

The distinction between weapons and clothing doesn't matter. What matters is the container the item is generated in as different random functions are used to determine item properties. If a weapon is spawned directly on the ground, it will randomize quality and mod type as expected and it will correctly level scale through save/load. If the weapon spawns inside a corpse container, it will scale to level 1 after save/load.
Given what I said above, it most assuredly does matter. Clothing have no special stats, so only slots matter - thus savescumming is back on for these items only. Bugs may or may not be universal, seem you're unaware of this one, so might be a rare bug. For me this is the third near game breaking bug; I've had corrupted save, no access point quickhacks, and now this. Some guys got all the luck! "Luckily" this game is so easy, you don't need first-rate or even second-rate weapons for combat to be a cakewalk.

With respect, this is completely irrelevant to the thread topic.

I will never understand why people use a bug hunting thread to argue over design and direct criticism towards other forum goers. This is not a constructive use of anyone's time, including yours. There is plenty of validation needed for level scaling issues in 1.12. It is disappointing that so few people are willing to participate but have all the time in the world to scream into the void.
I mostly objected to being repeatedly trashed as an insensitive elitist for voicing my disagreement with the ludicrous claim that the combat in the game is so hard (on easy difficulty even) that 4 slotted items is an absolute requirement. Responding to defend myself and to clarify the issue was not well-received *at all*, must be a cultural snowflake issue I'm not yet acclimatized to. Anyway, hopefully the digression is done with now. I have participated with data more than most here - and here is more for you to consider. :)

Last edited:
If you know certain weapon properties are not randomizing correctly, then why don't you post your findings in this thread so they can be verified and submitted in a bug report? Thats what this thread is for, not ridiculous internet last wordism.

If you know certain weapon properties are not randomizing correctly, then why don't you post your findings in this thread so they can be verified and submitted in a bug report? Thats what this thread is for, not ridiculous internet last wordism.
Realize you berate others for doing what you yourself engage in at every turn now. Oh well, no biggie. I have already posted my findings, but if you need screenshot evidence - here it is. :)

Screenshot #1: Equipped handgun is "container loot". Type of gun set, level/rarity varied according to character level likely, special weapon properties (ie. two-shot) varied, but ALWAYS without any crit adjustment/other adjustments (unless through mods like here). Unequipped handgun is "world loot" (picked up from counter). Only difference from the above is that special weapon property is always set.
Cyberpunk 2077 (C) 2020 by CD Projekt RED 15_02_21 11_50_31.png

Screenshot #2: Unequipped weapon (DB-4 Igla) is container loot. Same thing as screenshot #1. Equipped gun is "enemy drop", seemingly unbugged/working properly (caveat: have assault perks but no handgun perks).
Cyberpunk 2077 (C) 2020 by CD Projekt RED 15_02_21 12_12_21.png

Screenshot #3: Same as #2, but legendary variant with different special weapon property and damage type.
Cyberpunk 2077 (C) 2020 by CD Projekt RED 15_02_21 12_11_40.png

Melee weapons that are world- or container loot have +5% crit chance/+10% damage invariably. I belive boss weapon drops that are fixed are likewise affected by the bug (both melee and ranged). Melee weapons from normal enemy drops are somewhat randomized and work properly (with crit adjustment), just like their ranged counterparts.

Last edited:

See, this is a high quality bug hunting post. Describes a problem. Shows problem is observable. Produces evidence showing observation is repeatable. All valuable information that will help everyone understand a little bit more about this issue than we did yesterday. Hell, I didn't even know about it until you told me so keep that shit coming. Maybe I'll actually be right about something in a month or two instead of wild guessing based on very imperfect information.

This issue isn't going to fix itself and devs can't fix it if players tell them to go find a needle in the wrong haystack. So thank you.

I'm using the Gig: Occupational Hazard to test this at player level = 41, since it has 2 static containers that always drop weapons (an Omaha tech pistol and a Tactician shotgun). This gig also has a cyberpsycho that can also drop a weapon on their corpse. All of them can be legendary above level 40.

Omaha Randomisation Test.jpg

I save scummed the Omaha chest dozens of times but the pattern was obvious after a while, so I'm not going to post all the screenshots. The image above basically tells the whole story and is consistent with your observation.

The first 2 are save scummed from the Omaha static container. The third one is from Anna's corpse. I wasn't aiming for an Omaha, just any epic quality weapon but the stars were aligned and she gave me the perfect control.

The static container loot always has one less random stat. Additionally, the random stats it does have never vary by type. The omaha pistol from this container will always have:

+ Elemental Damage
+ Charge Time
+ Elemental Proc Chance
+ Headshot Damage Multiplier

Element type varies on save/load so you see one is Thermal while the other is Chemical. This changes the corresponding elemental proc type. The other stats I don't know what to make of. Charge Time varies in magnitude but this is not the case for Headshot Multiplier. It is always 1.20.

Mods randomize as expected. So I started looking at the the container to see if I can see any difference between the static container and the corpse but I'm getting to grips with the CET tools so I don't really understand what I'm looking at just yet, just trying to find patterns:

This is the corpse entity:

Anna Entity Deets.jpg

This is the static container entity:

Crate Entity Deets.jpg

Theres way too much to fit on one screen and I'm still digging to see if I can find anything relevant. The mod is Entity Inspector if you want to try it out.

Last edited:
Was this bug fixed in patch 1.2? I can't seem to find anything that relates to the randomization issue in the patch notes.

Top Bottom