[Patch 1.1 Bug] Item randomisation broken (hotfixed in patch 1.11)

+
Edit 2: This issue has now been hotfixed in 1.11.

Edit: This now appears to be a rather serious bug introduced in patch 1.1 where items from lootable containers do not appear to be randomising correctly, or at all. As such they sometimes do not scale to player level and always have the same number of sockets with the same types of mods (if present). This has been verified by multiple players on pages 4 and 5 of this thread using the legendary media ocuset as a test case. We all get the exact same item with the same armour rating, same number of sockets (1) and the same mod (+6.5 oxygen). It does not appear to be platform specific. This item no longer scales to player level. Reloading the game state no longer re-randomizes the number of sockets. Possibly related to the changes made to save data in patch 1.1 for the purpose of reducing file size bloat.

See here:

Let's all test something, because I think that maybe they've gone with static drops on world loot. I have two different characters, one level 50 and one level 34, that haven't looted a particular Legendary in the southern Badlands. The location is a trailer. Fast travel to the regional airport. Take the road NW, then take the first left. The location you are looking for is the second solar panel array on the left with a camper beneath it.

In that camper, there is a Legendary drop: Armored Media Ocuset with Camera.

-On my level 50 character, that legendary ocuset has the following stats: Armor 15.4, one mod slot, mod: Increase max Oxygen by 6.5.
-On my level 34 character, that legendary ocuset has the same stats: Armor 15.4, one mod slot, mod: Increase max Oxygen by 6.5.

If someone with an entirely different install that hasn't looted that Legendary yet could go to that location and report the stats on their drop, we mind find out whether or not world drops are now static. If they are, I suspect this is one of the things they did to free up processor resources: not rolling for loot every time a character comes into or out of range. IF that's the case, now many pieces of legendary loot are less epic than some epic drops, which is something they need to revisit.

Page 4, post 62 onwards deals with testing/verifying random loot generation so I suggest readers start here. If posting screenshots for verification, please state the character level you are looting the relevant container, your game version (i.e. patch 1.1) and platform (PC, Xbox, PS4).

The original (defunct) text of the OP is retained below for archival purposes:

Legendary weapons, inner torsos and outer torsos can roll anywhere from 0 and 4 sockets while all other clothing can roll anywhere from 0 to 3 sockets. The same thing occurs at lower item rarity but the maximum number of sockets is lower. For example, epic outer torsos can roll anywhere from 0 to 2 sockets and rare outer torsos can roll either 1 socket or 0 sockets.

Prior to 1.1, it was possible to reload a savegame in front of a lootable container to re-randomize the number of sockets on an item, as well as its rarity to a limited degree.

Save scumming in this case is a problem related to the way randomization is used to generate items in Cyberpunk 2077. Save scumming isn't fun - Its shit gameplay and exposes game mechanics to the player, which is a real problem in an immersive, narrative focused game.

Nevertheless, players do it because the difference between a 0 socket outer torso and a 4 socket outer torso is very significant. The number of sockets on clothing items is really the only variable that matters: a legendary outer torso scaled to level 50 has 180 armour. A single epic armadillo mod scaled to level 50 gives +240 armour and is stackable.

We know enemies have minimum and maximum levels but otherwise track player level within this range. We know the level difference between enemy and player is expressed as "threat level" by the game UI. We also know that damage reduction% from armour scales linearly per point and is modified by threat level so this is something that will affect everyone at all stages of the game. Its not just a level 50 thing.

Now that save scumming sockets is no longer possible, it exposes a different problem with Cyberpunk's itemization. Legendary themed sets only spawn once in the game world and never again, meaning if you get unlucky and roll 0 sockets, there is nothing you can do about it.

Socket randomization is fine in a game like Diablo II because if you get unlucky, you can just re-instance and farm the same containers again until you get what you want. This type of item randomization was the bedrock for Diablo II's skinner box gameplay. This type of item randomisation can work in Diablo II because you can always try again. It has no place in a single player game with a finite number of one time lootable containers and no ability to re-instance.

This change is not documented in the 1.1 patch notes but could be related to the changes to the way save data is handled.

Possible solution:

The easiest fix for this is to remove socket randomization so it behaves like it does for iconics - all items at all rarities will always roll the maximum number of sockets for their item quality.

They could easily leave as is and introduce to vendors a item for sale that requires nothing but eddies and will add 1 mod slot to the item of your choosing with as ppl said a limit depending on rarity

Last edited:
Possible solution:

The easiest fix for this is to remove socket randomisation so it behaves like it does for iconics - all items at all rarities will always roll the maximum number of sockets.
For non-iconic clothing, I disagree, otherwise crafting clothing would be a bit pointless.
Add to the list that there is not enough crafting schematics for clothing and there should be a way to upgrade the quality of clothes (needs it's own menu though, otherwise the crafting menu would be way too big).
Iconic clothing is different though, those should always drop with the maximum number of slots.

For non-iconic clothing, I disagree, otherwise crafting clothing would be a bit pointless.
Add to the list that there is not enough crafting schematics for clothing and there should be a way to upgrade the quality of clothes (needs it's own menu though, otherwise the crafting menu would be way too big).
Iconic clothing is different though, those should always drop with the maximum number of slots.

This has nothing to do with crafting because you can't craft legendary themed sets and (2) clothing vendors do not stock blueprints for all clothing types at all rarities and they are still bugged anyway.

Crafting in general is another topic for another thread. I think it needs to be substantially reworked but that will take time.

Last edited:
im just curious if this change was intended and if so... why they haven't mentioned it at all... it makes the legendarys obsolet in this status of the game... max slots/stats at least on the themed ones should be the solution, I second this for sure. Also... have the last few parts been found yet or are they still missing/not in game? (Nomands parts f.e.?)

its just sad that they killed another fun part of the game aside of all these bugs/performance problems around... : /

edit: yeah pc player can workaround but console player like me are just fucked hard... and that without any single word from their side... statements like "worse than Ubisoft" become more and more reality...

I'm of two minds about this. The constant save-scumming (I did it a LOT) in this game felt cheap, and it's good of CDPR to start addressing a very prevalent issue. This obviously is a pretty large incentive to take Technical/Crafting which some consider in a rough shape, in part due to save-scumming which can render it pretty much redundant.

However, this change effectively limits the options for everyone as people tend to go for function over style. And end up looking like a clown a lot of the time - in a game that claimed to value cool looks.

Like others have mentioned, I feel all clothing should be treated at least as "limited iconics", in that the rarity can be increased one or two levels. This would IMO be a better way of restoring relevancy to Crafting. But yeah, doing away with easy save-scumming is a good thing.

This has nothing to do with crafting because you can't craft legendary themed sets and (2) clothing vendors do not stock blueprints for all clothing types at all rarities and they are still bugged anyway.

Crafting in general is a another topic for another thread. I think it needs to be substantially reworked but that will take time.

It has nothing to do with crafting but could be solved by it. If, say, crafting gave you the ability to add sockets to items up to the default socket cap. Getting rid of randomization on sockets is a better approach but... just saying :).

Oh no, they make it worst. :coolstory:

Legendary clothing should be iconic and give you their own crafting specs when you pick them up.
No legendary clothes are just variations of epic clothes, you can notice it if you reroll the gear, sometimes they can become epic
Post automatically merged:

It has nothing to do with crafting but could be solved by it. If, say, crafting gave you the ability to add sockets to items up to the default socket cap. Getting rid of randomization on sockets is a better approach but... just saying :).
yeah te possibility to add socket (by crafting) to epic and legendary will be good, same applied for the weapons

No legendary clothes are just variations of epic clothes, you can notice it if you reroll the gear, sometimes they can become epic

I mean the unique ones. Those ONLY spawn as legendary and you can't reroll them as lower rarities.

Could work although I am hesitant to get behind it because clothing items are really just empty containers to house armadillo mods right now. Its the mods that give you most of the armour you need to get anywhere near the cap.

I think that its fine for crafting to produce better versions of the clothing you can pick up, but the ability to add sockets would be a very big power spike. Its too much imo.

I am personally leaning towards unique fashion or fashionware that is available via crafting blueprints only. There are already unique clothing blueprints in the game, its just that many people can't buy them because they made the mistake of talking to a clothing vendor once and now they are bugged forever. Another alternative is to make clothing more than just a container for armadillo mods. Or for example, make it so players can upgrade epic armadillos to legendary armadillos via crafting only. In this scenario you are still getting better gear with significant investment in crafting, but its not like it is now.

Right now, if you hit level cap (50) a pair of rare boots with 1 socket that you picked up at level 10 is always better than a pair of legendary themed boots you picked up at level 50 with 0 sockets and thats purely down to armadillo mods giving much more armour than the container used to house it.

The state of crafting and what it can or should be is a complex issue and like I said, it really needs its own thread.

Crafting in general is another topic for another thread. I think it needs to be substantially reworked but that will take time.
Crafting could be the way to solve the issue, that's why I wrote that.

Right now, if you hit level cap (50) a pair of rare boots with 1 socket that you picked up at level 10 is always better than a pair of legendary themed boots you picked up at level 50 with 0 sockets and thats purely down to armadillo mods giving much more armour than the container used to house it.

that's what its all about - if we talk about the themed one which can't be crafted at all : /

Crafting could be the way to solve the issue, that's why I wrote that.

Right, but players who elect not to go all in on crafting are then left at the mercy of unchecked RNG and this is not the purpose of randomisation in games. Its not like legendary items drop like candy in the gameworld - they really don't.

item randomisation is fine in scenarios where you can try again. If you get a shit craft, you can build another one. If its a multiplayer looter shooter, you can re-instance and farm the same container.

Its a shit feeling to walk up to a container in CP2077 and see that shiny red legendary icon and you know this is the only opportunity you will ever get to loot this item at this quality in this container...and then you hover over it and see a 0 socket outer torso. Well fuck...

Last edited:
So they do this. Ugh, they really need to scrap the crafting system. Solely make it BP's and upgrade transmog. The only thing getting stuff. Should be for the visual look. I don't use the crafting system. Because it's just clown outfit garbage.

Its a shame the mod slots are far more important to building a lv50 character than anything, yep i save scummed the 2 sets legendary gear i sue till i got max mod slots, its legendary its supposed to be the best, id say have legendary always have max mod slots.

I also craft a lot all my own stims,ammo,grenades and armor mods its quite easy getting the quality ones you want .

Dont think this change is a good one for one off gear you cant get again

Top Bottom