Patch 1.2 available!

+
don't believe the hype ! use XP SP-2 instead and wait for Vista SP-1 and its reviews.although it crashes with the same memory problems on XP as well it's less frequent and not gameplay breaking for me. I just automatically do more saves after 2 hours of play anticipating the next crash.

also, you should stick to 1028x768 resolution. I first had a higher resolution and experienced a few crashes. then I read here that 1028x768 is the most stable so I switched to that and didn't get any crashes. a few days ago I thought I should try a higher resolution again when I had installed the 1.2 patch and now I get crashes again. moral of the story is: stick to 1028x768.I know, this sucks and can be considered a problem in itself that should be dealt with. but the official word is that it's a lot more stable and if you defy that and get crashes you shouldn't complain about the game.

Great. With patch 1.1 I had it all - the ability to have a surpus of talents and no crashes while I played. Now with patch 1.2 I have no talents to spend and plenty of crashes. Nice.

aenemic said:
also, you should stick to 1028x768 resolution. I first had a higher resolution and experienced a few crashes. then I read here that 1028x768 is the most stable so I switched to that and didn't get any crashes. a few days ago I thought I should try a higher resolution again when I had installed the 1.2 patch and now I get crashes again. moral of the story is: stick to 1028x768. I know, this sucks and can be considered a problem in itself that should be dealt with. but the official word is that it's a lot more stable and if you defy that and get crashes you shouldn't complain about the game.
Weird. I have been running TW maxed out at 1920 x 1200 since day one, and IIRC, I don't think I've had any crashes. I have had a couple of game freezes where the screen freezes and sometimes the sound will loop, but if I wait about 15-20 seconds, or Alt-Tab out and back (believe it or not), the game picks up right where it left off. These incidents have occurred about 4 times in 100 hrs of playtime, and I've never lost progress or had to back out of the game or reboot. Don't know if running SLi adds anything to the mix or not regarding crashes. I just updated to nVidia's latest drivers today, and they appear to be working fine as well.

but the official word is that it's a lot more stable and if you defy that and get crashes you shouldn't complain about the game.
I could grok the first part, that the devs might have mentioned the game is more stable at a certain resolution, but, there is simply NO WAY that it would be the "official word" that one shouldn't complain about crashes because they are using game resolutions actually programmed INTO THE GAME.stop speaking for the devs.it's rather obvious that if the devs thought that resolutions higher than 1024 by 768 were inherently unstable, they wouldn't have included higher ones in the game.moreover, I, like many others have played it at much higher resolutions than that with no crashes whatsoever. looks a helluva lot better too, especially if you aren't using anti-aliasing.

SirToejam said:
but the official word is that it's a lot more stable and if you defy that and get crashes you shouldn't complain about the game.
I could grok the first part, that the devs might have mentioned the game is more stable at a certain resolution, but, there is simply NO WAY that it would be the "official word" that one shouldn't complain about crashes because they are using game resolutions actually programmed INTO THE GAME.stop speaking for the devs.it's rather obvious that if the devs thought that resolutions higher than 1024 by 768 were inherently unstable, they wouldn't have included higher ones in the game.moreover, I, like many others have played it at much higher resolutions than that with no crashes whatsoever. looks a helluva lot better too, especially if you aren't using anti-aliasing.
yes, I might have chosen the wrong words. but my point remains. try running the game at 1024x768 first and see if it helps with the crashes. if it does, and you still want to play on higher resolution, then you shoulnd't complain about the game being buggy.

After the patch of my downloaded version, it's asking for the DVD when I try to launch. Anyone know how to get around this?

The patch is for the retail version of the game. The digital download versions need their own patches. You'll have to wait for whichever company you downloaded from to adapt the patch to their system.Edit: I just realised that I've got it confused with NWN2 MoTB, as I was just reading about the download version the day before. So I may be wrong. Need a dev to confirm.Edit2: Confirmed, you need a special version of the patch by your distributor.

ok I'll list my set up because i see no difference in the save or the load times, if you have any bright ideas let me know.Vista ulitamate 32 bitAsus P5nsliGforce 7950 GX2 ("1gig video memory")6 gigs 800Mhz ramintel dual core 3.4 mhzsoundblater 24bit HDI too think it's the game and not my set up and yes I'm aware of vista problems and I may switch back to XP pro 64 bit but it seems as long as it takes to patch this game they could get it right, especially with such a great game, it could be much better if the makers tried a little harder to get it right for vista, maybe they should try playing it on a PC and not on a server then they might understand.

spiritualist said:
ok I'll list my set up because i see no difference in the save or the load times, if you have any bright ideas let me know.Vista ulitamate 32 bitAsus P5nsliGforce 7950 GX2 ("1gig video memory")6 gigs 800Mhz ramintel dual core 3.4 mhzsoundblater 24bit HDI too think it's the game and not my set up and yes I'm aware of vista problems and I may switch back to XP pro 64 bit but it seems as long as it takes to patch this game they could get it right, especially with such a great game, it could be much better if the makers tried a little harder to get it right for vista, maybe they should try playing it on a PC and not on a server then they might understand.
I'm playing The Witcher with Vista Home Premium 32bit and the load times have greatly improved (although I'd still like to disable autosave). When I first patched the game and fired it up I was initially disappointed because load times didn't seem any different. But that was just the game starting up, which for most games these days takes a while. Once I began playing and going from scene to scene, I did notice a huge difference. I should also point out that after I installed the patch I restarted playing The Witcher from the beginning. But as other people have noted, patch 1.2 should be compatible with your previous saves. I just did for fun, but maybe you should try this just in case. I'd be curious to hear if this helps.You certainly shouldn't have any issues with your system. Although, if you're using it as a server, you probably want to disable that while you're playing.

Like most have said, this patch has made a huge difference in save & load times. For that I am very thankful.However, since loading the 1.2 patch (upgraded from retail version) I have seen new problems. After playing for about 2 hours or so the conversation scenes will start to have issues. The swap from one character to another does not happen correctly and I will either see an all black screen, or a frozen scene of the previous talker with a black outlined current speaker over it. It is quite strange. The other issue I am seeing is; as soon as the conversation issues start showing up, soon after the entire screen will go black upon loading an area or entering a house. Oddly enough if you hold down the Alt key the labels of NPCs and items will show up, but the rest of the scene is black. Reloading to another area does not help and it requires me to restart the game process to make this go away. Luckily I can save when this happens and when I reload the issue is gone.Overall this is a great game and the patch made it better, it just needs a few more tweaks.Cheers,LR

I have made two attempts to install patch 1.2 but the game now refuses to start. The launch menu will come up but the game simply will not run. I am now using an earlier version that works OK. I have installed the latest Forceware drivers.Has anybody else had this problem? Has anybody got any suggestions?Thanks

rmonro said:
I have made two attempts to install patch 1.2 but the game now refuses to start. The launch menu will come up but the game simply will not run. I am now using an earlier version that works OK. I have installed the latest Forceware drivers.Has anybody else had this problem? Has anybody got any suggestions?Thanks
Try to reinstall the original version first, then start the game once, make all of your desired settings if you want. Afterward, proceed to install the 1.2 patch. I used to get this weird error when trying to update from original version to the 1.2 one without any start. Just figured it out accidently, but I hope this to be of help.

What is going on, my game keep crashing 3-5 times during 4-6h gaming session ? ??? It freezes when ever its loading and then crashes, bringing "illegal function" window and when I simply press "don't send" it goes back to windows ? What is this, is there anything I can do ? :-\ Please help and sorry my bad english :) The game is genuine with new v.1.2 patch and I have XP sp 2.

I've just bought the Witcher - I'm a newbie here - and am downloading the patch now. What difference does it make as have only started to play the game, and twice its folded on me!! Will this patch help? While on subject of games. Has anybody ot the game controller for PC's does the wireless one go with Vista? ;D

menicusgrm said:
Greetings! :)What I have to report, is that while performance and loading times have been GREATLY improved, my only complain, allthough partly I myself am to blame, for not waiting the game to clear it's memory,is that I still have the memory dump crashes, usually after a two and a half to three hours of play. :( But other than that,the patch did its job nicely! :) Thank you, Menicus.
Menicus I have the same problem game crashes on me after a few hours play usually after a mouse click. It has happened a few times when i hadnt saved ( thank god for autosave!) but usually i didnt have to go back too far other than that same as you the patch has made a huge difference.

This game has serious stability issues (with patch 1.2 installed) which need to be resolved. I really like this game for what it is and what it offers so far but I hope that bug fixes, especially the random crashes that appear throughout the game at loading screens and different scenes after loading itself is done, are on the top priority list of things to do for the developers.The crashes appear usually 2 to 4 hours into the game itself which obviously by browsing through these forums seems to be a common problem. But I had it also as soon as 10 minutes into the game where I just loaded up an old save game, left it alone for a few minutes, and then returned to actually start playing. At a transission point to the Vizima Cemetary it suddenly crashed without further warning. Mind you this crash Im describing appeared only once and I think it has something to do with the dvd rom trying to access the witcher dvd and suddenly not being able to gain the necessary data needed. it made some weird noises and stayed stuck so I had to hard reboot it all. could be my personal hardware failing me though since it only appeared once, but I thought I mention it nonetheless.

Top Bottom