Patch 1.2 — Development Update

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arguably the mostnimportant for Cybeepunk is to not be forgotten as has happened to Anthen.
Both have had quite a bumpy ride. But CP is still under a close eye, and welcome or not, it makes them visible.
(...)

Look at anthem... Bare any news. It was covered up, washed away... And 2 years later and its officially deceased.
I really don't see any similarities to Anthem here... frankly, Anthem was a game nobody asked Bioware for, nobody expected from them and that was totally outside their skillsets. As a former die-hard Bioware fan I wouldn't have touched that game with a ten foot pole, if I want a Destiny clone or Ironman simulator Bioware would be the last studio I'd demand it from. Sure, some people - either Bioware fans who literally buy everything with the name on it, or some people only seeing another Destiny clone, might've been interested, but I doubt that applies to most fans who loved Bioware for their writing. TL;DR - Anthem did not see a quarter of the hype Cyberpunk did, since it didn't even look like a Bioware game. Even right after the E3 demo I mostly saw people in game forums etc. asking "why?", and rarely anyone being excited.

Cyberpunk is a whole other story, it is flawed and buggy but super ambitious and everyone was expecting CDPR's best game ever. CDPR doesn't have EA breathing down their neck with their ideas what sells best and what kind of action players want to see according to the most recent metrics and focus group tests, and how to best make people buy as many loot boxes as possible.
CDPR also hasn't bled out all of their writing talent during the last years. Honestly, from Bioware I expect nothing anymore and I don't think I'm alone with it, which is good because it might be a nice surprise to see a Dragon Age that is actually good again - but I also see a high chance that the studio will be closed in the not so far future due to too many flops, and with almost none of their past talents left it wouldn't be too much of a loss.

Nothing of this applies to CDPR yet, they still have all the talent, are relatively free to do what they want and are known for Enhanced editions and long term commitment. Cyberpunk might not turn out to be the game we all wanted in the end, but I'm 100% sure this will never be an Anthem-case, it's almost technically impossible. I mean, at this point the game is already pretty much excellent as far as content goes, without the Witcher 3, the dev being CDPR and the overhype this would be a considered a very good title (from a new studio) already. Sure it runs like cr*p on last gen consoles and has too many bugs still, but the foundation is there, the writing is excellent, and everyone can see that with enough bug fixes this will still be a game to be remembered. Anthem though had nothing of that, all the ambition that game once had was only on paper.

Last edited:
writing is excellent
Is it though? The pacing of the story is terrible, they've completely wasted the opportunity to let player explore the city, build up V's fame by doing gigs for fixers and instead put up a montage video of 6 months passing. Player is basically forced to either stay true to the main story by ignoring any side content, because we play as a dying man/woman, who shouldn't waste time, or to pretty much ignore the supposed urgency of the main story and give up on immersion, feeling very well that there is no real weight to the whole experience. Sure, the intrigue itself is interesting, but it's handled very poorly and renders the story really bland.

Is it though? The pacing of the story is terrible, they've completely wasted the opportunity to let player explore the city, build up V's fame by doing gigs for fixers and instead put up a montage video of 6 months passing. Player is basically forced to either stay true to the main story by ignoring any side content, because we play as a dying man/woman, who shouldn't waste time, or to pretty much ignore the supposed urgency of the main story and give up on immersion, feeling very well that there is no real weight to the whole experience. Sure, the intrigue itself is interesting, but it's handled very poorly and renders the story really bland.
I thought the exact same thing. It just feels off. I tell most people who ask me about CP that's its a very average game because of this, it just doesn't feel right; the pacing, the weird drop offs from quests, that military woman who gives you the cyberpsycho quests that I have no idea who she is or why she contacted me. I haven't played for a while but other than a few select moments in the game not much jumps out in my memory. I thought after Johnny starts in the game the story really drops off and becomes quiet poor.

I mean for me the best parts of the game were the Panam/Judy quests. The best story in the game wasn't even the MSQ, that is surely an issue moving forward, I would even say as a company. Maybe CDPR should work on transposing existing stories in to games maybe? Like TW3, all the writing was already there and done by Andrzej Sapkowski, they just had to make it in to a game.

I absolutely agree with you that the pacing is off. Totally off, to the point I really would like to see a rewrite - which is achievable, but would make the game longer since the whole dying part should come after you've done most of the open world stuff - and it would need additional story content to make the time in between more immersive too.
Still, the writing, as in storyline content, side quests, dialogues, is top notch and what today's Bioware could only dream of, I was seriously impressed and it left a lasting impact on me. Very believable NPCs, touching moments without the cheesiness, mature topics, fantasic acting and so on.
If we just talk about the pacing and how it all interconnects with the open world it's a mess, and probably the main problem, All the gigs were filler content that threw me off and I didn't enjoy any of it. TL;DR - the parts of the game where the fantastic writing is simply missing. But that's not what I meant.

I'd rather have smaller patches every 1-2 weeks than one "bigger" patch every 2 or more months :(
Why? Small patches are made in less time and could introduce other bugs if not tested correctly (see the Takemura phone call bug). The game needs to be fixed extensively and thoroughly. Personally, I'd rather have a big patch that fixes most of the issues than one that fixes a few things. We need to be patient and let them work, also their reputation (unfortunately already damaged) is at risk.

I'd rather have smaller patches every 1-2 weeks than one "bigger" patch every 2 or more months
It's a reasonable desire but the fixes at the top of the priority list may not be small in nature. A colony of Beavers might be able to block off a river every couple weeks with a bunch of sticks and clever construction but if you taught them how to use concrete it might take many months to construct the Hoover Dam.

in regards to the game, my personal opinion, after everything I read on the forum; it's wobbly.
the simple sentence; {...and for what?}
- the main story, gameplay, so many side missions, subjects in the game that are not at all finalized {example: Cyberpsycho} and of course; the endings.
personally I summarize CP-2077 with {...and for what?}.
however, I still play because I keep hope but patience has its limits.

I really don't see any similarities to Anthem here... frankly, Anthem was a game nobody asked Bioware for, nobody expected from them and that was totally outside their skillsets. As a former die-hard Bioware fan I wouldn't have touched that game with a ten foot pole, if I want a Destiny clone or Ironman simulator Bioware would be the last studio I'd demand it from. Sure, some people - either Bioware fans who literally buy everything with the name on it, or some people only seeing another Destiny clone, might've been interested, but I doubt that applies to most fans who loved Bioware for their writing. TL;DR - Anthem did not see a quarter of the hype Cyberpunk did, since it didn't even look like a Bioware game. Even right after the E3 demo I mostly saw people in game forums etc. asking "why?", and rarely anyone being excited.

Cyberpunk is a whole other story, it is flawed and buggy but super ambitious and everyone was expecting CDPR's best game ever. CDPR doesn't have EA breathing down their neck with their ideas what sells best and what kind of action players want to see according to the most recent metrics and focus group tests, and how to best make people buy as many loot boxes as possible.
CDPR also hasn't bled out all of their writing talent during the last years. Honestly, from Bioware I expect nothing anymore and I don't think I'm alone with it, which is good because it might be a nice surprise to see a Dragon Age that is actually good again - but I also see a high chance that the studio will be closed in the not so far future due to too many flops, and with almost none of their past talents left it wouldn't be too much of a loss.

Nothing of this applies to CDPR yet, they still have all the talent, are relatively free to do what they want and are known for Enhanced editions and long term commitment. Cyberpunk might not turn out to be the game we all wanted in the end, but I'm 100% sure this will never be an Anthem-case, it's almost technically impossible. I mean, at this point the game is already pretty much excellent as far as content goes, without the Witcher 3, the dev being CDPR and the overhype this would be a considered a very good title (from a new studio) already. Sure it runs like cr*p on last gen consoles and has too many bugs still, but the foundation is there, the writing is excellent, and everyone can see that with enough bug fixes this will still be a game to be remembered. Anthem though had nothing of that, all the ambition that game once had was only on paper.
My comparison to anthem was going as far as being a reaction to the: " who's gonna be around for CP77 by the time patch/dlc drops ", in stating that so long as CP is being discussed for whatever reason. People will be there. And not be forgotten as was with Anthem. I never compared it to Anthem gamewise. And if I ever will (dont count blessings) CP77 has Anthem beaten by a countrymile

My comparison to anthem was going as far as being a reaction to the: " who's gonna be around for CP77 by the time patch/dlc drops ", in stating that so long as CP is being discussed for whatever reason. People will be there. And not be forgotten as was with Anthem. I never compared it to Anthem gamewise. And if I ever will (dont count blessings) CP77 has Anthem beaten by a countrymile
Fair enough, but I would think there are still more people waiting for CP77 updates and willing to give it a chance than were on Anthem. Hell, even Fallout 76 is relatively active now, and nothing could beat that shitshow - but Fallout still has lots of fans having seen some potential I guess. :)

Fair enough, but I would think there are still more people waiting for CP77 updates and willing to give it a chance than were on Anthem. Hell, even Fallout 76 is relatively active now, and nothing could beat that shitshow - but Fallout still has lots of fans having seen some potential I guess. :)
I have no doubt about that either.
I am one of those who wants new goodies for CP77 :)

Yeah with anthem, when the trailer first dropped I was like .. èhh, and before long I did even remember it until I saw a video on YT rediculingnit to the ground. That was more amusing than the actual game seemed to be.
And FO76, I am still not convinced about wanting to play it (Eventhough I was looking forward to a next installment after FO4 and the lot) but ever since Wastelanders it did a good amount of redemption, which is good on them!

Which brings me back around to CP77, and I'm eager to findnout about what 1.2 has to offer, and then whatevers next too!

Hell, even Fallout 76 is relatively active now, and nothing could beat that shitshow - but Fallout still has lots of fans having seen some potential I guess.
FO76 has been very active since release, it's just that the narrative spread online surrounding it pushed a different story. Ironically, CP2077 was yet another game used on FO76's forums to take jabs at Bethesda before its release, as was the Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3., yet in all cases, when the games had released, the mentions stopped. I have been enjoying FO76 since release, yes it has bugs and issues, but it is a full, complete game. This was not. This was the shitshow and months later I am yet to get any satisfaction out of my purchase.

I agree with you, the pacing was way to fast. Act 1 should have been Jackie introducing you to Night City, meeting the Fixers, intro to the gangs. Act 2 should have been trying to get on Dex's good side with that act ending with the Arisoka mission going down the shitter. Then Act 3 should have been you trying not to die. From what I have heard though there was a better paced story originally, then when Keanu Reeves signed on they rushed to added him and make him a major story component. Feel like that makes sense, all the Johnny Silverhand stuff feels like it was jammed in place

Junky animations. Broken, ugly V model in-game. Floating items. Npcs suddenly changing vertical position. Npcs and cars vanishing / appearing in front of our eyes. Items frequently blowing off near our character. Unconsious npcs blowing off and changing into a bloody pulp when we want to put them on the ground while sneaking (very frequent). Speaking dead npcs. Hostile npcs sometimes spawning under the ground or within buildings, not letting us "clear" the area / crime scene.
Quest bugs: in one of my newer builds, in the prologue, Jackie falls silent after giving me a card at the food stall outside V's megabuilding. It results in not letting me leave the scene and progress in the game. Reloading earlier saves doesn't help.
Serious collision problems, not just visually but gameplay-wise: this one is an absolute TOP PRIORITY - my character VERY often is teleported forward or sideways when I walk on uneven surfaces, it sometimes results in serious injuries or even death; it also breaks the stealth approach, because this glitch suddenly moves my character out of hiding place. CDPR, please fix this.

Any "alive Night City / activities / barber / plastic surgery" stuff can wait, if these are planned at all. Please focus on core things that EXIST in the game already, so that at least some of us can finish it without constant annoyances. Thank you.

Also, I'm still quite convinced, that patch 1.2 will arrive some time arround March 31 :)

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Junky animations. Broken, ugly V model in-game. Floating items. Npcs suddenly changing vertical position. Npcs and cars vanishing / appearing in front of our eyes. Items frequently blowing off near our character. Unconsious npcs blowing off and changing into a bloody pulp when we want to put them on the ground while sneaking (very frequent). Speaking dead npcs. Hostile npcs sometimes spawning under the ground or within buildings, not letting us "clear" the area / crime scene.
Quest bugs: in one of my newer builds, in the prologue, Jackie falls silent after giving me a card at the food stall outside V's megabuilding. It results in not letting me leave the scene and progress in the game. Reloading earlier saves doesn't help.
Serious collision problems, not just visually but gameplay-wise: this one is an absolute TOP PRIORITY - my character VERY often is teleported forward or sideways when I walk on uneven surfaces, it sometimes results in serious injuries or even death; it also breaks the stealth approach, because this glitch suddenly moves my character out of hiding place. CDPR, please fix this.

Any "alive Night City / activities / barber / plastic surgery" stuff can wait, if these are planned at all. Please focus on core things that EXIST in the game already, so that at least some of us can finish it without constant annoyances. Thank you.

Also, I'm still quite convinced, that patch 1.2 will arrive some time arround March 31 :)
Wow, didn't have any of that, the most frequent bug I was experiencing is NPCs lips not moving (even that was occurring only in the car). But yeah, I agree about not adding new content until stuff like this is resolved.

Wow, didn't have any of that, the most frequent bug I was experiencing is NPCs lips not moving (even that was occurring only in the car). But yeah, I agree about not adding new content until stuff like this is resolved.
You lucky beast, can I borrow your computer? ;)
I can speak only for myself of course, but yeah, I have at least some of these bugs very frequently. Not playing on a newest machine, but still quite powerful one, so I take it it's not the hardware problem. Maybe bad karma, or something? :rolleyes:

Incoming damage

The part where Jackie falls silent at the food stall to progress just call for your car it caught me out on my third play through.

Cant remember having to do this on my earlier builds im sure the car just arrives.

I remeber watching the first gameplay/trailer for Anthem, and i tought "wow, this might be better than Destiny" and then came the BioWare EA logo and i never tought about Anthem again. It geniuinely amazes me, that people continue to buy games from them, and are actualy surprised when it turns sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom