Patch 3.1 Patch Notes

+
charges are a lot easilier available now. For that reason Thaler had to be changed too, because he would have become too strong.
OK, thats a good point. I hope they will see these side effects as a whole and change even more cards then. There are a lot of unhealthy combos still in the game. I just hope that not every deck will feel the same in the end... A difficult task indeed.
Todays patch still feels like a large cut compared to former balance changes.
Post automatically merged:

However, in this case, I do think we get a lot more in return. I would try out NR first and see how the meta develops before giving your (final) judgement.
I hope you are right. I will try it anyway. Love the game too much to leave it...
Thanks for the replies to my "pissed comment". Like I said, I'm usually not that salty^^

Maybe I should share my decks (and write guides as well) to minimize the risk that they will vanish as outsider archtypes.
Its just that I cant see myself either net decking or supporting it.

Last edited:
Here are my decks. Sorry for german version. I'm just salty because so much has changed so suddenly again. I will try the new cards for shure, but i cant stand that the NR gameplay will be totally different (for me) from one day to the other.
View attachment 11011024View attachment 11011027
Yea however for the other 90% of the player base who didn't want to lose with NR will now play your favorite faction. Yes, it is a change, it's not the same as before, but ultimately it is BETTER and by better, I mean Tier 0. I expect hotfixes 3 days after the patch. Foltest is a MISTAKE and by mistake, I mean BIG FLOP from CDPR's balancing team, Keira is NUTS for her provision cost 9 power on turn play with the upside having two "semi-engines" on the board in the form of Vitality. Meve will be really annoying with those dmg/bleeding cards! And what is this Adda buff? Is this a buff at all?

And to top off the rant, Yennifer and Crimson Curse are left in the dumpster for another month or more... Why are you doing this to us CDPR? The patch is good, I like most of the changes, the thought behind it and the philosophy of bringing up the power level! But I can't say the black is white, some cards/leader is literally topping all the charts of brokenness just by reading the ability, also NG buffs are a joke, no Sweers targets anymore, so those 2 provisions are just for a bait... NG will be the worst faction for a good month or so, I'm calling it right now! MO looks interesting, deathwish might be a thing again, ST I assume would be really strong (unitless Franchesca and Eithne, Brouver control) Dwarves are something that got some love but we will see, SK is not losing its control tools and also are getting buffed all around the board, the faction will still be high tier! SY will be the [ . . . ] faction that it was before and with Sigi as a leader I predict the Bounty deck to move to this leader, super good ability with lots of control of the income and flexibility and his passive is synergizing perfectly with all the crimes that SY likes to play as staples! I am looking forward to how things will unfold it's going to be a wild month for Gwent for sure, and even with my critique about some of the cards, all in all, I see more flavorful and more interesting effects/synergies between the cards and that's what I think Gwent is all about.

Big thanks to all the Gwent team for their hard work! It's really amazing how much you guys are doing for that little time, definitely looking forward to next expansion. Our lord Slama said it's going to be crazy and I believe you will deliver!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my decks. Sorry for german version.

Off topic, I found it funny to see specter are Wiedergänger, is it the German word for specter or did CDPR got creative?

To your point, if you like NR I'm sure you will find an archetype to like, maybe something similar to your Meve buffing deck, Anna's change was quite good.

Off topic, I found it funny to see specter are Wiedergänger, is it the German word for specter or did CDPR got creative?
Specter and ghosts are equivalent in German, or you could translate specter with Spektralgeist (spectral ghost), though that doesn't seem common to me.
Wiedergänger means more or less Zombie/Rewalker/Walking Again and seems to be a quite accurate translation. As I've been playing in English from the start, I completly forgot that Johny was called Hansi in the German version of the Witcher. That made me love quite a bit.
And botchling is called Wrongborn or Faultyborn, which is accurate but botchling sounds cooler.

I hope you are right. I will try it anyway. Love the game too much to leave it...
Thanks for the replies to my "pissed comment". Like I said, I'm usually not that salty^^
I've been playing NR since closed Beta as my main faction and enjoyed no other faction as much, but due to the current state of the faction I've more or less stopped playing for the last couple of month.
With those changes they have done, I'm really looking forward to playing NR again.

Wiedergänger is an old word for Zombie in German. Its not used anymore. In its sense its close to the term Walkers from Walking Dead.
Post automatically merged:

Johnny: ability changed to "Whenever you play a special card, damage random enemy by 2."
Oh no! That hits me much harder than all the NR changes... Sarah has been in 80% of my decks, Johnny in 50% at least... Why are the Borsodis still unchanged then? They have Zeal and more Health, they are like Jhonny and Sarah on steroids... Thats what I mean when I've said inconsequent changes. Or am I missing something for SY faction in the patch notes?
Honestly what was wrong with Sarah/Johnny? With all the removal in game its hard to say they were too binary. They had no Zeal, if buffed to 8 in First round on blue it was a 70/30 to get removed by gerald/carlo etc. Please rechange Sarah/Jhonny, give them row lock like vysegota or so. But thats just... why?

Last edited:
This has to be a bad joke... I thought you wanted to make NR more playable... Foltest Pride nerfed (SY Bounty Hunter Gun not nerfed...), Roche nerfed (Philippa not nerfed...), Bloody Flail nerfed, Thaler + Demavend combo useless...
I really hope people will play NR now and I'm the only one sad about this, so the game shall prosper.

while i feel for you (i also played a lot of NR and the thaler/bloody flail combo was my fav.), the cards you list were completely broken. either they got shut down and you got nothing, or they just went bonkers destroying everything. they just had to be changed if engines were ever to be taken serious.
I'm sure you will be able to find some other wanky wombo combo to enjoy, dont give up!

*edit: which cards are left that give more than one value per charge? ARE there any left? that would explain the INSANE buffs to all charge generating cards.
*edit2: no. there are none left. 1 charge equals 1 value now (aside from combinations). I approve, even though im realy sad :/ life is hard when you get what you ask for..

Last edited:
Well I don't know. It's too much to process. At first glance it seems NR was one of the weakest if not the weakest faction but it had some cards you can sometimes win a match or two with. Now all of those are gone. The intend was to strenghten NR and you killed all the best cards wich were capable to win matches.
We have better bronzes and engines overall but where are the winning cards? Every faction has a very high swing to the endgame. Where is NR's high swing now? I'm talking about 25-30 value swing here all other factions has.

Well I don't know. It's too much to process. At first glance it seems NR was one of the weakest if not the weakest faction but it had some cards you can sometimes win a match or two with. Now all of those are gone. The intend was to strenghten NR and you killed all the best cards wich were capable to win matches.
We have better bronzes and engines overall but where are the winning cards? Every faction has a very high swing to the endgame. Where is NR's high swing now? I'm talking about 25-30 value swing here all other factions has.
[ . . . ] Foltest Commandos are swinging for 20 points consistently and that's not even with the new merciless or boosting cards that we are going to see with this patch. Also, the identity of NR is not to swing big numbers but to establish a board so the next minions they play are stronger... Making an army or so to speak, even the devs mentioned it in the Overview.
There are times that to be critical is something positive, however, this is not the time. Also, I find it kind of funny how some people react about NR changes and how "supposedly" bad are they now, but in reality, NR will be tier 0 until a hotfix is issued. So yea the game plan of NR is not to play Oak as last say, but to have a big board full of humans/machines or mages that synergizes with each other. Hopefully, that makes things clearer

Last edited by a moderator:
Just played some more games to maybe get that sweet iorveth avatar I want before the season ends.... ragequit.
I cant wait until this [ . . . ] bounty-svalblod-harald dominated meta comes to an end. absolute frustration to play against.

Did people forget Wild Hunt Warrior?
Or does he still have Reach 1? :cry:

They removed reach from all cards, so no WHW will just be able to hit everything now. :ok:

Also based on what they said about further changes over the up coming months, I would bet dollars to donuts that other cards (and even leaders) will be seeing changes going forward, but as usual their trying to pump the brakes to insure they don't brake everything by rushing forward and changing EVERYTHING all at once.

While I can't predict the future, I am guessing this initial wave was to sort out NR and bring everything in line with their new ideal power level for low power cards and going forward we will see NG, ST and MO getting further overhauls in the coming patches. So while I am as disappointed as anyone that Witch Hunter Executioner didn't seem some sort of nerf (even just removing his bounty to make him less absurdly dangerous) or seeing Wildhunt or Spy NG getting some love, I'm not going to freak out about it since I am fairly sure more is coming.

Having said that... Seriously no change to Demavend? You removed basically all the best charge cards, setting the value of charges to 1 more or less... And left the leader who's only ability is to give charges untouched? I mean he was always worse then Meve, but now Meve is even BETTER since she can inspire her troops while Demavend struggles to find targets to get even a single point from! That's just silly and given I assume eventually the core set will be the only cards to not cycle out when set rotation is implemented (which it will eventually since otherwise the game would get silly after a couple of years worth of new expansions) having Meve (a TB set leader) be SO much better and more core to the NR's faction identity then Demavend (a core set leader) is just... Ridicules. Plus Meve is just plan cooler and more likable, but that's sort of subjective.

I am sure some people might argue that charges are still part of NR so Demavend should still be kept the 'charge leader' to keep that aspect around, but I would argue that as a CORE SET leader Meve better represents NRs faction identity and should thus replace Demavend as the 5th core leader. Or they should switch their powers around. Or Demavend should get SOMETHING that better represents what NR's core cards can do like spawning in token soldier who can trigger crew abilities or provide fodder for Draug. Hell, why not?

King Demavend III: Order: Spawn and play a Aedirnian Soilder*. Charges: 3.
*3 power human soldier

Sorry that got horribly off topic, anyway ya, the patch looks good, I am sure more is coming next month and the month after that as they use the initial data from this massive change to hot fix and plan out further rebalances to the other factions. Eventually SY most absurd abilities will be toned down and hopefully leaders like Morvran, Eldain and Demavend will hopefully get some love and things will be alright. :cool:

As the good book says:

DON'T PANIC

I really wondered about the NR leader balance in my post above too and Demavend in particular. And after having spend some thoughts about Demavend, the only reasoning that I thought of is that they believe with all the power buffs and Zeals for NR cards, engines will stick usually on the board and therefore Demavends charges won't be wasted. And as long as he can get as much direct value as Crach or Meve it should be ok, as the charges are more flexible than those other two.
Let's have a look at all the remaining charge engines:
-Zeal: Nenneke, Foltest Pride, Kaedweni Seargent, Hubert Rejk
-Formation: Vissegerd, Reinforced Ballista
-neither Zeal nor Formation: Lyrian Arabalest, Visgota, Cintrian Spellweaver, Saessenthis:Blaze
So, of 10 charge engines, 6 have or can gain Zeal.

Also, it should be noted that Kaedweni Seargent and Lyrian Arabalest can be played by Portal now, which is a huge buff. And moreover both of them are Soldiers which makes Foltest Pride comboed with them even better.

But nonetheless, Calanthe sounds like a better charge leader to me than Demavend.

Very interesting patch notes. I'm surprised at the leader changes. I really thought King d would get a buff and adda nerfed. Should be interesting however have to add some cards that need nerfed. (spelling errors oncoming).
Hjlmar - doing 8 to 12 damage sometimes twice a game is overkill.
Vattier - replaying a leader ability is not fun and cheap
Old tree face and Skelton too easy to get over value for the provisions
Phillipa - broken, should take 9 coins to lock and steal a 5 point unit
The zeal brothers - need a cool down after each use
Blacksmith--cool down freakshow - needs insanity removed
Fence - op coins should be spent for the boost
Executioner - cool down needed.

CDPR idea for a patch: "we'll buff the other faction's Bronzes to get to the SK Bronzes level".

Releases patch - buffs more SK cards with points/provisions.

GG

I also have to say that the NG changes are laughable, at best.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Today is my birthday. All i wanted to see were changes to 13 units limit and cards like ciri nova :(

These are a lot of changes. Big up for the team!
I am sure this will make the game better with all these buffs

Top Bottom