Patch 4.02 — list of changes

+
It's the complete opposite on my side. FPS are basically the same but I have lot of stutters everywhere while I had absolutely none prior this patch.
Did you previously upgrade the DLSS version like most people did? You may have to roll back (for now) to the original version of the DLSS DLL CDPR used. Or perhaps some of the DLLs got overwritten and you have a mix of versions. There are two different DLSS DLLs, nvngx_dlss.dll for DLSS 2 and nvngx_dlssg.dll for DLSS 3 frame generation

I took a closer look and the latest nvngx_dlssg.dll is 1.0.7.0 and says it was upgraded for Witcher 3 so I'd right click on the DLL and check the version ... If it is currently 1.0.7.0 then I'd try rolling it back to the original which was 1.0.2.0 ... DO NOT overwrite the one you have, just tack on .bak to the end that way if it doesn't work you can easily roll back

Last edited:
Did you previously upgrade the DLSS version like most people did? You may have to roll back (for now) to the original version of the DLSS DLL CDPR used. Or perhaps some of the DLLs got overwritten and you have a mix of versions. There are two different DLSS DLLs, nvngx_dlss.dll for DLSS 2 and nvngx_dlssg.dll for DLSS 3 frame generation
I didn’t mess with any file at any point, no. And will not do. My installation is as pure and vanilla as it can be. And I don’t use DLSS. It looks terribly bad on my side. Only TAAU works well for me. That being said, it looks like it’s better now that I restarted my PC. Better as in not worse than how it was with the 4.01 version, but it is not effectively better in any way. Exactly the same, no improvements. Far from the performance I got with the 4.00 version. Half of it to be precise.

That being said, thank you for trying to help. I’ll just continue to play on Series X anyway.

Last edited:
[...] I should be playing the game right now, as I have for the last month, with at least 50 hours accumulated. I had crashed maybe a total of 5 times throughout, which was acceptable. The hitches and stuttering occasionally, fine. But now crashing every 10-15 minutes are you kidding me? And there are STILL purple windows and cobwebs. Why did you release this? I would like to go back to 4.01 and continue my playthrough, but the jokes on me for even playing this garbage update. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
jesus christ what wrong with this patches now i cant play on dx11 it craches all the time i have no mod only original games
come on cdpr fix your damm game this is a joke really you are taking a piss

Good morning.
My game crashes when loading saves after installing patch 4.02 with a REDengine window popping out asking me to submit error message. I've tried loading different saves still doesn't work. I'm going to reinstall the game and see what happens but maybe anyone or some of developers here knows what to do? I have 100+ hours in this playthrough so it'll be a real shame to lose saves.

I played the original pre-4.0 PC version entirely on Linux via Steam Proton back in 2020, no crashes. I was in the middle of a New Game Plus play-through on Windows 7 (obviously DX11-only), but with patch 4.01 -> 4.02 the game crashes immediately after loading a saved game. Seems like a number of others are having the same issue. Windows 7, AMD Radeon VII, no modifications.

Fortunately, playing via Steam Proton still seems to work. Using DX11 mode, DX12 seems to crash, albeit in minutes rather than on load.

hello, first, sorry for my english.
does anyone have a similar problem as me? in the night time my screen flashes white sometimes. see photo. it does it only with HDR, directx 12 and 1440p resolution on.

combined:
(a) HDR off, directx12 on and 1440p on - it doesn't do it
b) HDR on, directx11 on and 1440p on - it does not do it
c) HDR on, directx12 on and 1080p on - does not do it

but when I have:
HDR zap, directx12 zap and 1440p zap - it does.

I haven't encountered this in other games.

PC parameters: GPU MSI RTX 3070 TI 8GB, RAM - 32GB, CPU i7-11700F 2,50 GHz, Win 11.
I have also reinstalled the GPU driver, tried to replace the cables, both HDMI and DP, currently I play on DP. but no change. All drivers are up to date. I even reinstalled Windows. FPS is stable at 40-60 FPS, sometimes somewhere like in Novigrad I drop to 30FPS. Or even more FPS drop even with longer gameplay. I hope someone is reading this from CDPR too, I'm getting pretty frustrated. I have purchased versions on GOG, Steam and Epic and the game is still unstable. Pretty disappointing from waiting so long for a stable game. I really hope there will be some big update that will skip the next gen version completely.

thanks
4D676CD2-5777-4279-8846-3080F85FF9FC.jpeg
5779897F-1D55-4FBD-AD30-6DCCF9231130.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Projekt Red, been playing for years with no issues on Windows 10, now a huge patch that actually offers very little has broken the game and crashes upon startup (every time I load a save) and is now unplayable. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.
Post automatically merged:

Steam is not even starting the download of the patch. I wonder how long it will take Steam to fix that problem since people in the comments reporting the exact same issue.
Post automatically merged:

Ok, after an hour of wait it started downloading. Enjoying the game a lot, glad it's back lol
Trust me you don't want it to download anyway, it takes forever and breaks the game, now it crashes each time I try to load a save from the menu, enjoy.

Looking at some performance comparison videos on youtube, 1% and 0.1% lows are now significantly better. The general framerate though is still the same, and even rtx4090 struggles with Ray Tracing. What surprised me with this patch is fact that nothing has been done to increase rendering distance and decrease rendering pop-ins. TW3 starts to resemble Cyberpunk 2077 now.

I have more than 100 hours of game without problems.... until this week.
I play on geforce now.
I am on the Chivalry Turnament Blood and wine mission, and since tomorrow, 2 minutes after my connection, the game crash with Nvidia servers??!
It's the game cause CP2K77 and over games runs really good.
Please, can you help me?! It's a roleplat immersiv killer !!! ;(((

I wish I can give a dislike / thumb down for patching up the exploit that allow players to obtain and use Ciri's sword. People find the exploit and it does not really break the game in any way except for some fun, that should not be "fixed", shame on you CDPR...

Game was fine with 4.01, now crashes with 4.02 either soon after I load a game save or after I've played for about 5 mins. I was using Mods, disabled them, removed mod files, re-installed game, and turned off DLSS and still crashes.

PC Specs:
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600KF 3.50 GHz
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti **
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System type Win 11 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

**(Just saw there is a new driver update, will download and try again)

"Fixed an issue where characters could become slightly blurry during dialogues and cutscenes on PlayStation 5" - Geralt's face is still blurry during cutscenes on PS5

Top Bottom